PDA

View Full Version : 1987 honda nsr250 won't kickstart

little green FXR
6th April 2008, 14:33
Have any of the motorbike gurus out there got any idea of any little tricks to getting one of these 2-strokes to start. Just got it as my first 2-stroke after a couple of four-strokes with electric start, and now am not able to get it kickstarting. Was running perfectly first couple of days, but now it will start to turn over on a push, but not fully make it round. Any good advice appreciated

nsrpaul
6th April 2008, 14:44
dont quite follow the not all around part of your post, but asuming the motor turns over freely, check your spark plus, and nsr's are sensitive to battery charge, you could kick and kick all day if your batts flat

little green FXR
6th April 2008, 15:47
ok, I checked the spark plugs and tried jumping it off my car, and still no luck. Any other suggestions??

Drew
6th April 2008, 15:56
When you push the kick start down, does it go all the way to the bottom? If not, stop trying, there is something VERY wrong.

nsrpaul
6th April 2008, 16:00
like i said, asuming it turns over freely

did it have spark?

fuel getting to carbs?

little green FXR
6th April 2008, 16:25
ok, the kick start is turning fully, but the engine is only half turning over. thought it may be flooded, but not sure? Anyone know how to clear a flooded engine without having to remove and clean the carbs? Any other possible quick fix solutions?

imdying
7th April 2008, 15:14
You've probably flooded it. Get some NGK Iridium plugs for it... for a couple of reasons; 1) Plug quality make a huge difference on a 2 stroke, considerably more so than a 2 stroke, and they wear out a lot faster, 2) They're cheap, 3) You've probably well soaked the olds by now so you're making your life harder.

But before you do, just do the same as you would to a flooded 4 stroke... close the choke, full throttle, and kick the crap out of it. It'll eventually stop playing dead and show a few signs of life... once that happens, keep booting it, it'll clear eventually. It won't take very long, then it'll start, so you'll probably need a little choke at that stage, warm it up, ride as per usual.

The iridium plugs are far less prone to fouling, and easier to clear if they do. Definitely worth the extra money imho.

little green FXR
9th April 2008, 18:39
stoked, got it going. Now I just need to find a new radiator and since the one on it's pretty badly cracked, and I'm all good

imdying
10th April 2008, 17:04
Take it to a radiator shop first, let them have a look at it, might be recoverable.

little green FXR
10th April 2008, 17:38
actually grabbed one today. Bought a bike that had been crashed, and the radiator was bent pretty bad, so I'm guessing was pretty much impossible to repair. Went to KGs after getting a couple of prices, and he cut a pretty sharp deal. If you ever need second parts, see him. Doesn't put up with any nonsense, but definitely won't rip you off.