PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GN250 Engine noise - Normal or not?

mickmok
6th April 2008, 17:58
Hi there,

I am just having some concerns regarding a clicking noise I have started hearing from my GN250. I notice it more at mid range RPM of around 3000-5000 and it is simply a clicking as the engine cycles.

I am just wondering whether this is normal for the GN250 to develop a noise such as this, it has done around 2800kms so its pretty new.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zealnz
6th April 2008, 18:38
Is it only happening when you haven't got the throttle open? ie. when you're decelerating?

If so, could be loose chain rattling around, I hear newer GNs have pretty shoddy chains and yours could have stretched a bit. Luckily that's pretty easy to fix if you've got onto it quick enough!

mickmok
6th April 2008, 18:47
Is it only happening when you haven't got the throttle open? ie. when you're decelerating?

If so, could be loose chain rattling around, I hear newer GNs have pretty shoddy chains and yours could have stretched a bit. Luckily that's pretty easy to fix if you've got onto it quick enough!

Not only when decelerating. You can here it when you are stationary and rev the engine, however it is not as noticeable as when you are actually moving.

However the chain could use an adjustment regardless and it could be compounding the sound. But it is definately an engine noise.

Thanks

Ragingrob
6th April 2008, 19:22
Does it happen everytime? As in everytime you are stationary and revving the same sound occurs? What about at idle?

Choco
6th April 2008, 19:25
So this noise just recently started? Interesting...

A while back the baffle on my exhaust popped three of the four rivets and that was rattling around to the beat of the engine. At the time I was worried that I was running out of oil but I wasn't luckily.
I used some No. 8 wire to fix the problem (see pic) and that held it together for 500km till I got home and fixed it properly.

Have a look anyway in case it's the same problem as mine had!

Choco.

mickmok
6th April 2008, 19:27
Does it happen everytime? As in everytime you are stationary and revving the same sound occurs? What about at idle?

At idle it does make the sound but it is very faint. The sound is the same everytime I ride. It is uniform in the sound, ie it isnt irregular, and it is in time with the engine RPM. It has only just started making the noise approx 2-3 weeks ago.

Thanks

mickmok
6th April 2008, 19:30
So this noise just recently started? Interesting...

A while back the baffle on my exhaust popped three of the four rivets and that was rattling around to the beat of the engine. At the time I was worried that I was running out of oil but I wasn't luckily.
I used some No. 8 wire to fix the problem (see pic) and that held it together for 500km till I got home and fixed it properly.

Have a look anyway in case it's the same problem as mine had!

Choco.

The rivets are fine, the noise is coming from the engine. When I sit at the lights if I lean in towards the engine and rev it you can hear it coming from there.

Thanks

Choco
6th April 2008, 19:32
I'm not mechanically minded enough to be much more help I'm afraid!
Why not take it into a bike shop and get a mechanic to have a wee listen to see if it's anything serious?

mickmok
6th April 2008, 19:36
I'm not mechanically minded enough to be much more help I'm afraid!
Why not take it into a bike shop and get a mechanic to have a wee listen to see if it's anything serious?

Yeah I have emailed the place I bought it from to ask whether I should bring it in. It could be the fact it needs a service or something. Thanks for the help anyway.