PDA

View Full Version : Engine hydraulicked?

CookMySock
12th April 2008, 21:46
2006 Hyosung GT650R, 7,000k's, just had a service..

Ok- midday ish, key in, ingnition on, full choke, clutch in, crack throttle, hit starter, rrr-stop, dash lights dim. WTF ? Try again rr-stop!, dash lights dim..

Flat battery ??? naw.. surely..

So I crash start it down the driveway in third.. no go, can't get enough speed on.. grrr.. BUT! the engine gets kicked over a few turns, so I try the starter again, and I get a turn out of it this time.. Another run at crash starting it - no go, but this time I hit the starter and it winds over, and over, and over, and fires!! woot! VAARRROOOM!! Very strong smell of petrol. 10km down the road the idle is unusually high.. thats odd.. so I wind it down again.

Loose battery terminal ? Engine hydraulic'ed on petrol ?

It hasnt done it again.

any ideas ?

TIA,
DB

Ocean1
12th April 2008, 22:04
Unlikely it's hydraulic locked, still check the oil level, if bulk gas has got into the upper cyl it'll have leaked down past the rings. Needless to say this is not a good thing...

May be there's a small electrical leak which is draining the battery, or the battery's fooked.

Edit: could be the float valve's not seating, would cause the initial flooding and high idle but don't explain the lack of cranking action...

Bonez
13th April 2008, 08:39
Check your oil level. Had a similar thing happen to my GSX750. Left the fuel tap on prime overnight and fuel filled up the crank case. Similar thing happened to mum on her 250 as well.

YellowDog
13th April 2008, 08:59
I don't think you need to look too deeply into this one until you have ruled out the battery as the cause of the initial problem. Everything else you have described are the result of the initial failure to start. My only similar experience to this was after arriving home late one night and sodding about in the garage with my headlamp on for extra light after cutting the power. It was only about 10 minutes however the battery was knackered the next day. The other thing I know of that can cause this is accdentally leaving the ingition on after parking. Hope it stays good for you. YD

CookMySock
13th April 2008, 09:22
pretty sure it's not the battery. It did start cleanly, and normally, eventually once it cleared its' throat. It sounded a lot like some liquid was in the bore.

Checking oil level now. It's not pinging or rattling, like it might with too much oil.

many thanks,
DB

YellowDog
13th April 2008, 09:52
If you know it's not the battery and it hadn't been left standing for a long period, I guess you will need to chase the problem out. It sounds like you are on the case. Good luck.

Bonez
13th April 2008, 10:33
pretty sure it's not the battery. It did start cleanly, and normally, eventually once it cleared its' throat. It sounded a lot like some liquid was in the bore.

Checking oil level now. It's not pinging or rattling, like it might with too much oil.

many thanks,
DBIf it smells like it's had fuel in it replace the oil asap.

CookMySock
13th April 2008, 12:46
If it smells like it's had fuel in it replace the oil asap.gah, its straight out of its service! :crybaby:

It just smelt a little strong while it was starting..

DB

Ocean1
13th April 2008, 21:13
gah, its straight out of its service! :crybaby:

It just smelt a little strong while it was starting..

DB

So I asume you'll be on the phone to the shop Tomorrow?

At least to log the event eh? in case it turns to custard later...

CookMySock
14th April 2008, 07:07
yeah, good point.

DB