PDA

View Full Version : Well here we go : 2-minute 2 colour paint job! Woohoo!

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 13:18
This is a story of 1 bike, several people, 2 colours, 2 days, and 1 damn spontaneous spray can paint job! :woohoo:

OK so for those of you who weren't there, I was at Stephen's fix-it arvo/evening/night/early morning :shit:.

Didn't really have much I wanted to do, check out some electrics, maybe get the front wheel off to paint the mudguard black finally, yeah just was there to see everyone have a good time. Anyway, after maybe an hour of checking out electrics and just mucking around, it occured to me (well maybe Sophie and Hannah) that hmmm why don't I just paint the entire bike again, a different colour, hey why not two colours! So Sophie gets on to designing and I and some others get on to removing the fairings while Shaun comes straight from work with 6 spray cans (2 each colour including clear coat) and some sandpaper and um, Hannah goes babysitting :no:.

So yeah I get sick of prepping pretty quickly, they aint great fairings so aren't worth too much time and effort, and I'm certainly not a perfectionist like Andrew! After a bit of cleaning and sanding I get onto spraying it completely black, 3 coats is enough for me. Let it dry and then we get onto masking taping up the design and get ready to put on the next colour, RED! Spray the front fairing and fuck me, it looks cool as! Kinda a red with black speckled all through it... Hmmm this could actually do the trick! Spray the rest of the fairings just one coat of red, with many runs and drips and unevenness(sp?) in order to create my um, complex custom paint job? :laugh:

The fix it arvo has turned into maybe 12:30am and it's just me, Soph, Stephen, and Hannah has returned. We call it a night, clean up the mess and that's that. I head round the next arvo to break into Stephen's house (TV and lights all on, his door unlocked, one door open, noone home?) and find his remote to open the garage (btw, he did know about this, I'm not THAT South Auckland!). It's raining so me, Soph, and Shaun do 3 clear coats fairing by fairing under the slight shelter we had outside the garage. By now I'm kinda over doing all this! Do the last coat and go have BK. Come back and Dushy has jumped the gate and trying to steal Shaun's bike which has the steering lock on, not to mention a chain. No worries Dush, your bike will be up and running soon! Shaun and I chuck the fairings back on after a lot of no no this bolt not this one either ahhh here we go! And we are off once again.

This morning I'm at Soph's and like noone's home and it's pouring down and I can't get my bike :doh:. Finally my Dad finishes work this arvo and drops me at Stephen's to grab my bike and I head out to Karaka, take some photos for you guys, and here I am now! So here ya go <_<

Oh, and never got around to that DAMN mudguard dag nammit!!! Will have to wait till the next paint job grrr!

Lol just remember, I'm not trying to make them look brand new or anything at all, just wanted a bit of colour!!!

I'd like to say thanks a shitload to Stephen for the night and use of his place, and thanks a truckload to Shaun, Andrew, Kyle, Hannah and Sophie for all your advice, help, and time! :)

:done:

EJK
14th April 2008, 13:19
Fukn awesome!! :D

It actually does look cool! :first:

Is it a flame job or tiger stripes? :lol:

P.S. More like "2 hours" job not a couple of minutes :lol:

Macstar
14th April 2008, 13:39
Vast improvement mate!

shingo
14th April 2008, 13:41
I reckon it looks better in person, will be interesting to see what the colours are like in direct sunlight.

At least the red wrapping around the front helps the front guard blend in a little better than it used too.

I'm thinking the rims need a new coat of paint now, a nice coat of black would help them blend in nice, but thats just me being picky.

skidMark
14th April 2008, 13:43
It's patchey. :pinch:

ahh well, can only do so much when it's a honda.

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 13:45

That's the complex custom paint job man! I could have done it straight red, but I reckon it looks cool patchy styles, like looking into a fireplace!

EJK
14th April 2008, 13:46
Btw where are you gonna have the "RR"? ;);)

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 13:47
Fukn awesome!! :D

It actually does look cool! :first:

Is it a flame job or tiger stripes? :lol:

P.S. More like "2 hours" job not a couple of minutes :lol:

Haha um that's the tiger side! The other side is flames :wacko: Lol yeah took a little longer than 2 minutes huh!

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 13:48
I reckon it looks better in person, will be interesting to see what the colours are like in direct sunlight.

At least the red wrapping around the front helps the front guard blend in a little better than it used too.

I'm thinking the rims need a new coat of paint now, a nice coat of black would help them blend in nice, but thats just me being picky.

Lol remember Shaun this is a $35 paint job! I will spend some time this week to clean the rims try and get them nice and white though.

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 13:49
Btw where are you gonna have the "RR"? ;);)

Haha yeah, the RR for RagingRob, and CBR RR but not, that'd be pretty funny. Maybe on the side of the front fairing kinda beside the lights but to the side of the bike! What colour?

TOTO
14th April 2008, 13:55

It is sertanly more than can be done with a pile of zxr parts and no licence. be jelous you evil litlle boy :buggerd:

TOTO
14th April 2008, 13:56
Lol remember Shaun this is a $35 paint job! I will spend some time this week to clean the rims try and get them nice and white though.

why not paint them red or black ?

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 13:59
why not paint them red or black ?

I wouldn't know where to start, from what type of paint to getting the wheels off!

TOTO
14th April 2008, 14:01
I wouldn't know where to start, from what type of paint to getting the wheels off!

Surely Stevo will know a way ...:msn-wink:

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 14:03
Surely Stevo will know a way ...:msn-wink:

Another thing is that painting = not riding :Oi:

ital916
14th April 2008, 14:42
You don't need no stinking fairings to ride lol and just rig up a plastic bottle as a temporary fuel tank if your painting your bike, that way you can paint and ride.

shingo
14th April 2008, 14:48
You don't need no stinking fairings to ride lol and just rig up a plastic bottle as a temporary fuel tank if your painting your bike, that way you can paint and ride.

But you do need wheels tho, unless you want to just sit on while revving the engine and changing through the gears.

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 14:51
But you do need wheels tho, unless you want to just sit on while revving the engine and changing through the gears.

My thoughts exactly haha!

klyong82
14th April 2008, 15:19
You need to put some RR and Fireblade decals and it will look like my old bike. Not bad bro...

NOMIS
14th April 2008, 15:30
Bro that looks pretty cool, when we gunna go for a ride again??
Looks better than the matt black you had it. hey and red automatically makes it faster remember. time for another lil drag????

glice
14th April 2008, 16:23
it looks heaps better as a finished product.
write cbr rr in whit with a spray can.
I want to write oh ah above the cbr on mine, cos that will make a mean rhyme au.

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 16:33
it looks heaps better as a finished product.
write cbr rr in whit with a spray can.
I want to write oh ah above the cbr on mine, cos that will make a mean rhyme au.

Haha mine isn't an rr, I just wanna put RR for RagingRob somewhere perhaps... But yeah that's an idea to stencil the RR in cardboard or whatever and spray it on, would look better than stickers.

Phurrball
14th April 2008, 16:39
That looks surprisingly good Rob!

Waaaay better than the sanded fairings I saw when I left on Sat...Quite a bit of work has gone into that - dare I ask the total cost? (Gazillions if you included all the labour and beer!) Whatever it is - it's value for money! Your CBR will have that shiny, new clothes feeling every time it goes out :banana:

Oh, and don't feed the Skidmark troll people.

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 16:52
That looks surprisingly good Rob!

Waaaay better than the sanded fairings I saw when I left on Sat...Quite a bit of work has gone into that - dare I ask the total cost? (Gazillions if you included all the labour and beer!) Whatever it is - it's value for money! Your CBR will have that shiny, new clothes feeling every time it goes out :banana:

Oh, and don't feed the Skidmark troll people.

Hey cheers for the zipper tie! Haven't actually used it as I transferred a bolt to the other side, but may still chuck one on for the security!

$40 for spray cans and sandpaper haha, and then several hours of labour. I'm glad to say though that apart from a few coats of a fairing or two, I did all the spraying :). Thanks again to Kyle and Andrew for the painting advice, Shaun for grabbing the paint and fairing removal/back together, and the designer girls Soph and Hannah!

I'm thinking about following Shaun's advice to get some 1200 grit or something to smooth it out perfectly, then do a few more clear coats for a shinier coat...

Magua
14th April 2008, 17:13
That looks pretty good :yes:

motorbyclist
14th April 2008, 17:22
if you want to sand the wheels the lazy way, there's a sandblaster at work that i know will fit an 18" rim no problem :)

gets all the fiddly bits inside the spokes and then you just smooth out the outsides by hand

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 17:24
if you want to sand the wheels the lazy way, there's a sandblaster at work that i know will fit an 18" rim no problem :)

gets all the fiddly bits inside the spokes and then you just smooth out the outsides by hand

You mean just to clean them, or to prep for paint? How about 17" rims?

motorbyclist
14th April 2008, 17:41
17" is smaller than 18" so i think they'll fit;)

you'll have to clean them first, but this will take the clear off the rims and rough it up sufficiently, or stip it completely if you aren't careful.... you'll still have to go over it with a fine grit paper to get a smooth finish, but this will get the hard work done.

mind you you're talking to a guy who bothered to bog and sand his rims to get the kerb marks etc out from them so they look new again. note his bike isn't finished yet either

pocketcracker
14th April 2008, 21:16
Lookz awsome dude ! ... gutted i had to leave was alot of fun ! ...

Cant wait to see it in person ! but till then Ill just save the pics and look at them anytime i start thinking about jeans pockets HEHEHE ! coulden't resist !

I agree get soph to Draw a RR in her style on a paper cut out hold up and White or silver spray can it ! .. Raging rob ! and from a distance may look like silver stars HEHEHEHE ! yea that was for hana !

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 21:19
Lookz awsome dude ! ... gutted i had to leave was alot of fun ! ...

Cant wait to see it in person ! but till then Ill just save the pics and look at them anytime i start thinking about jeans pockets HEHEHE ! coulden't resist !

I agree get soph to Draw a RR in her style on a paper cut out hold up and White or silver spray can it ! .. Raging rob ! and from a distance may look like silver stars HEHEHEHE ! yea that was for hana !

Yeah I think she'll be happy to draw up an RR, toughest decision would be what colour paint, you reckon white or silver huh!

Lol you dodgy bastaaard you!

homer
14th April 2008, 22:38
do you have to clear coat it ?
if so a few coats would make it shine and protect the paint well .
my 600 i had looked like it was diped about 10 times in clear .
i recken the the clear on it was 3 mm thick

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 22:48
do you have to clear coat it ?
if so a few coats would make it shine and protect the paint well .
my 600 i had looked like it was diped about 10 times in clear .
i recken the the clear on it was 3 mm thick

Um I've done 3 coats of clear spray for protection and shine, do you reckon I should do more??

homer
14th April 2008, 22:49
Um I've done 3 coats of clear spray for protection and shine, do you reckon I should do more??

i would do another couple if it was me .
it may have more shine than i can get the idea from the pic ?
looks pretty wicked

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 22:55
i would do another couple if it was me .
it may have more shine than i can get the idea from the pic ?
looks pretty wicked

Hmmm yeah well I have almost an entire can of clear left, maybe I'll do a few more coats, I can probably get away with just doing it on the bike ay cause it's not like clear paint is gonna do too much haha!

homer
14th April 2008, 22:57
na should be gr8 id do a couple more , making sure its compleatly hard between coats. like a day apart

Ragingrob
14th April 2008, 23:02
Cheers for the advice! Will have to find a few days where I'm not looking to ride too much though!!!

Ragingrob
15th April 2008, 13:10
Woohoo just scored myself a new tinted screen + bolts for NZ$31 from Ebay including shipping! Saweeet!

EJK
15th April 2008, 13:13
Is it black? :lol:

Ragingrob
15th April 2008, 13:47
Fo' sho'!

10char

ital916
15th April 2008, 13:52
Fo' sho'!

10char

:2guns:, no gansta talk thank you robbo. "for sure".

Ragingrob
15th April 2008, 14:22
:2guns:, no gansta talk thank you robbo. "for sure".

Ai'ight!

10ch

Hanne
15th April 2008, 20:55
That looks awesome! Must say, it was kind of hard to imagine the finished product at 1.30am with the fairings still all over the place and sleepy eyes :yawn:

Actually the black line on the tail lines up with the black stripe at the front too! What a happy accident.
Can't wait to see the finished bike in person!

Ragingrob
15th April 2008, 21:03
That looks awesome! Must say, it was kind of hard to imagine the finished product at 1.30am with the fairings still all over the place and sleepy eyes :yawn:

Actually the black line on the tail lines up with the black stripe at the front too! What a happy accident.
Can't wait to see the finished bike in person!

Haha wait till you see if the other side tail is lined up with this side :pinch:, oops! Sophie says to blame Stephen, apparently it was his eye judgment! :Pokey:

Hanne
15th April 2008, 21:05
It was the bloody mess in the shed that meant we couldn't find a ruler!

Ragingrob
15th April 2008, 21:13

Oh well, like everyone says, "You can only see one side of the bike at one time!"

shingo
15th April 2008, 21:40

I did show you how to make do with some newspaper, but apparently you're to good for that :Pokey:

Ragingrob
15th April 2008, 21:57
I did show you how to make do with some newspaper, but apparently you're to good for that :Pokey:

Oooh... :whistle:

10char

HungusMaximist
16th April 2008, 07:13
Good job Rob, look forward to seeing it this week aye.

Oh yea, I've got some Honda Stickers that you might like....

ital916
16th April 2008, 07:27

You might as well just draw a giant penis on each side of your bike. People will still look and recognise it a as gay honda:lol::lol::lol:

Zuki Bandit
16th April 2008, 07:45
Well done Mr Ragin:Punk:

Sofa
16th April 2008, 11:23
:) Looks cool huh? Um Hanne, yeah remember when we were masking the other side of the end fairing? And Stephen told us where to stick it? :P Its pretty out.... haha, oh well... And I think I deserve much more recognition thank you Rob...!

Ragingrob
16th April 2008, 11:32
:) Looks cool huh? Um Hanne, yeah remember when we were masking the other side of the end fairing? And Stephen told us where to stick it? :P Its pretty out.... haha, oh well... And I think I deserve much more recognition thank you Rob...!

:Oi:
Hey I've thanked you lots miss Sophie!

klyong82
16th April 2008, 11:35
:corn::corn::corn::corn:

Ragingrob
16th April 2008, 11:46
:corn::corn::corn::corn:

:jerry: Nothing to see here folks!

:chase:

ital916
16th April 2008, 11:51
:jerry: Nothing to see here folks!

:chase:

*psst hey rob...i think you missus is scared of me...always the random brown guy popping up, cracking sexist jokes and being an ass*

Ragingrob
16th April 2008, 11:56
*psst hey rob...i think you missus is scared of me...always the random brown guy popping up, cracking sexist jokes and being an ass*

Lol maybe you should be the one scared of her if she takes a joke to heart! :2guns: Haha.

klyong82
16th April 2008, 12:02
Lol maybe you should be the one scared of her if she takes a joke to heart! :2guns: Haha.

Feisty!!!:shutup:

Hanne
16th April 2008, 12:27

ooh Dushy, I would look out if I were you! She might have more evil back-up than you think... :spanking:

Ragingrob
16th April 2008, 18:48

Yeah really? What kinda Honda stickers? :shifty:

HungusMaximist
16th April 2008, 20:37
Yeah really? What kinda Honda stickers? :shifty:

Well, they're not the fancy decal ones but I've got a few of those small 'HONDA' ones that will fit on your screen and the tail end.

Also got a few small 'HRC' ones, and ah the 'REPSOL Honda'. They're really only good for the screen or the front fender as something extra. They're not decals so it won't sex up your bike.

I reckon you should slap on two Honda wing decals on the tank. Saw some on Trade-Me for about $15 bucks for a pair or ebay it, it shouldn't be more than US $20.00 for some top quality ones.

Ragingrob
16th April 2008, 20:43
Well, they're not the fancy decal ones but I've got a few of those small 'HONDA' ones that will fit on your screen and the tail end.

Also got a few small 'HRC' ones, and ah the 'REPSOL Honda'. They're really only good for the screen or the front fender as something extra. They're not decals so it won't sex up your bike.

I reckon you should slap on two Honda wing decals on the tank. Saw some on Trade-Me for about $15 bucks for a pair or ebay it, it shouldn't be more than US $20.00 for some top quality ones.

Oh true cool man, yeah gonna wait and get this nice new screen from Ebay should be on its way and then I can try make my bike a bit prettier! Maybe even some new non-cracked mirrors etc.

motorbyclist
17th April 2008, 00:12
oh shit i just remembered i may still have the full vinyl sticker kits for two racebike fireblades (cbr-rr) lying around. i used to be a signwriter, and that was one reject that wasn't going in the bin! i don't think all of it is machine cut as it was rejected when the cut got out of alignment with the print by up to a mm. also, no application tape and the vinyl will have shrunk a bit but that isn't an issue....

all the shoei, michelin, castrol etc sponsor stickers, plus a few "cbr", "rr", "fireblade" and honda logos

Ragingrob
17th April 2008, 10:06
oh shit i just remembered i may still have the full vinyl sticker kits for two racebike fireblades (cbr-rr) lying around. i used to be a signwriter, and that was one reject that wasn't going in the bin! i don't think all of it is machine cut as it was rejected when the cut got out of alignment with the print by up to a mm. also, no application tape and the vinyl will have shrunk a bit but that isn't an issue....

all the shoei, michelin, castrol etc sponsor stickers, plus a few "cbr", "rr", "fireblade" and honda logos

Really?? :wari: We may have to talk! I think I will do some light sanding and more clear coats over next week, but then stickers would really class it up!

motorbyclist
18th April 2008, 01:20
looks like someone finally decided to start importing and re-selling those cheap chinese fairings off ebay onto trademe (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Frames-bodywork/auction-150683306.htm?p=37)

Squiggles
19th April 2008, 21:06
They're just the middle man, see the shipping

Shipping:
$266.00 EMS International

:lol:

motorbyclist
19th April 2008, 22:03

Really?? :wari: We may have to talk! I think I will do some light sanding and more clear coats over next week, but then stickers would really class it up!

found them:)

enough for two bikes, note the stuff cut out of white, "fireblade", "HRC" and michelin men stickers are the only ones to be cut by machine before the job was pulled, the rest you'll have to do with a steel rule and sharp blade (modelling knife/stanley blade/scalpel with fresh blade)

also, one of the michelin men are missing - vinyl has shrunk a bit but that's not a major issue - looks to not be laminated with a protective coat to prevent fade from UV rays, but will still last a fair while

not bad for a freebie;)

klyong82
20th April 2008, 06:42
ohhh i would so like a pair of HRC and alpinestar stickers.....

motorbyclist
20th April 2008, 16:34
well there's more than enough there to go around:)

maybe i'll bring it all round to the next fix it night?

rob you'll need some app tape, or simply buy some extra wide masking tape (about 2" or 50mm wide or wider)

Ragingrob
20th April 2008, 20:29
Awesome Andrew, I'll grab some tape this week and then catch up at Strata or something!

Hanne
20th April 2008, 20:45
Stickers are awesome. I am tempted to put some really girly pearl white unicorns on madison, but then I think she would NEVER resell...

homer
20th April 2008, 22:24
like to see some more pics
maybe with the tint screen on it
i see a couple sugesstions about stickers , another great idea ,
hows about a bit of pin strip ?
not to much it can make things look tacky

maybe a bit of a gold 3mm wide
just a thought

homer
20th April 2008, 22:26
found them:)

enough for two bikes, note the stuff cut out of white, "fireblade", "HRC" and michelin men stickers are the only ones to be cut by machine before the job was pulled, the rest you'll have to do with a steel rule and sharp blade (modelling knife/stanley blade/scalpel with fresh blade)

also, one of the michelin men are missing - vinyl has shrunk a bit but that's not a major issue - looks to not be laminated with a protective coat to prevent fade from UV rays, but will still last a fair while

not bad for a freebie;)

your not selling the couple of larger castrol stickers are ya
or the couple of the smaller ones
pm me if ya are
want them on the swing arm each side
or are they to big

motorbyclist
20th April 2008, 23:12
like to see some more pics
maybe with the tint screen on it
i see a couple sugesstions about stickers , another great idea ,
hows about a bit of pin strip ?
not to much it can make things look tacky

maybe a bit of a gold 3mm wide
just a thought

i have a bit of that in the shed too for the viffer from the first time i painted it right after i bought it:lol:

your not selling the couple of larger castrol stickers are ya
or the couple of the smaller ones
pm me if ya are
want them on the swing arm each side
or are they to big

as i said, they need to be cut by hand... can you make it this friday arvo to our friday arvo beer/bike maintenance/mod night? (in epsom)

wasn't planning on selling them, beers always suffice:beer: