PDA

View Full Version : Replacing cam chains?

FilthyLuka
14th April 2008, 16:27
Hey guys

When one replaces a camchain on a IL4 motorcycle, (where you cannot just take of the side crank case cover, Whip off the clutch basket, slip the chain of and slip another one on), one has to either totally disassemble the engine, put on an endless chain, OR break the cam chain, attach it to the old one and pull it through then use a softlink or re-rivet the camchain.

My question to you fullas, where can i find these soft links? I have a cam-chain breaker and what not, but i have no clue as the where to find these soft-links.

The other option would be to re-rivet the chain, the tool i have is capable of re-riveting chains, but i have never done this before and have a few questions.
1) Do i use the rivet a pushed out of the camchain when i broke it? Or do i need a new one?
2) Where can i find new rivets for the cam chain

Im asking as the idea of removing cases, splitting them, taking out the crankshaft, slipping on the new endless chain and re-assembling seems like such a pain.

Im asking this in general BTW, its for any IL4 motorbike with chain between cylinders 2 and 3

Grub
14th April 2008, 16:35
My question to you fullas, where can i find these soft links? I have a cam-chain breaker and what not, but i have no clue as the where to find these soft-links.

Well I don't know where to get them sorry but it's now SOP to split chains and rivet in a new one. I've just had mine done by an Authorised Honda Service Agent. My bet is that there are now special chains, links and tools to do this. My chain was a genuine Honda one so this is not bodge-job stuff.

Katman
14th April 2008, 16:41
Any bike shop that can supply you with the chain can supply you with the split link. (They may have to get of their arse and get it in for you though).

FilthyLuka
14th April 2008, 16:49
Well I don't know where to get them sorry but it's now SOP to split chains and rivet in a new one. I've just had mine done by an Authorised Honda Service Agent. My bet is that there are now special chains, links and tools to do this.

Hehe, whenever i had to change a chain on something complex, i would just buy the part and then give bike and part to my mechanic buddy.

As far as tools go, you need a chain breaker/riveter, which is pretty easy to get a hold of, like this one:

http://www.motostrano.com/mochbrrito.html

Any bike shop that can supply you with the chain can supply you with the split link. (They may have to get of their arse and get it in for you though).

Really? Cool!

Ixion
14th April 2008, 17:20
The "soft" link is the rivet. You split the chain, assemble it round the sprockets and push in the "two legs sticking out" bit of the link. Then put on the side plate, and you will see that the ends of the "legs" (the pins , actually), still protude beyond the side plate. Apply your riveting tool to spread the ends of the pins. Once done , give the pin ends a sharp tap with a hammer, supporting the other side of the chain. Then (still supporting the other side) give the side plate a sharp tap (you'll need a flat punch or similar). Check that the riveted link moves freely. Done.

EDIT Should have specified the tapping with hammer on the riveted ends is done with the ball end of an engineers hammer. Not a bloody carpenters claw hammer, OK .

Wheeliemonsta
15th April 2008, 08:33
Where can i find new rivets for the cam chain

Gidday FilthyLuka,
Darbi Accessories... Bloody near every motorcycle shop in the country will have an account with them

Cheers

:rockon:

FROSTY
15th April 2008, 11:24
What Ixion said basicly.
Cept of course--split the old chain then use the rivit link to join the old to the new chain -Youll find that the side plate is actually pretty hard to get on--then ya pull the new chain through --
this is assuming you have backed tensioners off. got TDC etc sorted before hand

xwhatsit
15th April 2008, 13:11
Does this work with the complicated-looking multiplate cam-chains (about 4-5 plates stacked across the width of the chain) you find in the likes of my engine? Not that it's a huge hassle to get it on.

Ixion
15th April 2008, 13:24
Morse chains? The links look like gear teeth ? Yep, same principle.

FilthyLuka
15th April 2008, 14:27
Thanks guys, if i have to replace the cam chain i will take pics and write up a tutorial. That way i can sticky it up for further reference, cam chain installation /removal has come up a few times before.

In that sense, if anyone goes through the drama of replacing engine internals or whatever that are common throughout motorcycles, please take some photo's and start a thread. Would be good to have a couple stickies at the top of each section with stuff like:

-Replacing Drive Chains and Sprockets
-Replacing/tensioning cam chains/diagnosing a loose camchain
-Setting valve clearances
-Replacing Pads, Shoes and Rotors
-Bleeding break systems

Stuff like that. Just an idea.

Bonez
15th April 2008, 18:20
Morse chains? The links look like gear teeth ? Yep, same principle.Morse is a brand of chain. Hy-Vo is the name of the muti-plate items. The hammer you refer to is a ball pein hammer.

Ixion
15th April 2008, 18:24
Actually Hy-vo is a brand name too. Always called them Morse chains m'self. And renolds chains for the ordinary roller sort. True about the hammer. but d' y reckon someone who was using a claw hammer would know what I meant by ball-pein?

Bonez
15th April 2008, 18:28
Actually Hy-vo is a brand name too. Always called them Morse chains m'self. And renolds chains for the ordinary roller sort. True about the hammer. but d' y reckon someone who was using a claw hammer would know what I meant by ball-pein?Morse produce a HyVo chain( they actually developed it I beleive). Other chain manufacturers produce them now (could be refered to as high speed silent chains). Just being a picky ol prick ;).

Ixion
15th April 2008, 18:38
Hy-vo is a registered trademark. Borg Warner are the owners of both the Hy-vo and Morse trademarks. The "leave our intellectual property out of it" name , I guess, would be multiplate silent inverted tooth chain. Sort of like not all Allen keys are made bby the Allen Tool Corp.

tri boy
15th April 2008, 19:16
You lot should try splitting and rejoining a excavator/bulldozer track chain:mad:
Hy-vo chain could be a bit fiddly, but far more appealing than splitting the cases on CB900 roller doors.

Bonez
15th April 2008, 19:21
You lot should try splitting and rejoining a excavator/bulldozer track chain:mad:
Hy-vo chain could be a bit fiddly, but far more appealing than splitting the cases on CB900 roller doors.Hush you. I'm about to pull Gerties spare motor down. Should've stuck with rollers like the spuzukis of the day ah? Hope they shot the guy who thought two hy-vo chains where needed.