PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable??

Elise
30th April 2008, 12:02
Hi

A month ago I took my 1993, ZZR 250 to get serviced by Henderson Motorcycles. I knew there was something wrong with the carb, because the bike was not idling properly.

They rang me a couple of days latter to say they couldn’t find anything wrong with the carb, which was odd because Larry from Panmure motorcycles told me way back in December that he reckoned I had a carb issue with my bike. So I told them to have another look.

Anyway, they charged me $300 to clean the carb out, replace the needles (that I supplied via another carb); they mentioned that the diaphragm was not installed properly and that they had corrected it. They also said they had done a general service. So I thought, good bargain etc

Anyway, when I picked the bike up I noticed it had a distinct petrol smell, didn’t think much of it as it had been sitting in their garage for the last week.

3 weeks went by, and now
1) the bike dosnt start again, I had to bump start it to get it started, and turn the reeves way up, because if I didn’t it would just stall again 2) when the bike finally started I had to constantly reeve it while I was at the traffic lights because it would stall if I didn’t 3) I was riding along the motorway one night and the bike just turned off, completely lost power, kinda like it had run out of petrol, but the tank was still quarter full 4) it never idling smoothly (even after they had supposedly fixed it), but kept jumping around, like something was still clogging it

I rang Henderson motorcycles and they were like “oh we are so sorry, blah blah. Take it back in and we will try and fix it..again”

Which was what I was going to do. And then today, I went out to the garage, tried to start it, of course it didn’t, so I then tried to bump start it. I pulled the clutch it, put it in first and the bike wouldn’t budge, it was like the wheel’s were locking up or something. Maybe the cable has snapped to the clutch, but it doesn’t feel floppy, and I can still put it back into neutral and move the bike around??????????

Problem is I need to get the thing (bike) going before I can actually get it anywhere to fix, Henderson motorcycles were rather unhelpful when I rang them up with my plight (they suggested I try rocking the bike back and forth)

Just wondering whether someone can suggest what might be the problem?

Maverick
30th April 2008, 12:18
Bugger, im stuck at work
Anyone out west able to help out?

Katman
1st May 2008, 16:32
It's probably just cold oil that is making it a lot harder to push even with the clutch in.

F5 Dave
1st May 2008, 17:43
Try in a higher gear to see if the clutch frees.

Re the other problem it is hard to tell, but if your bike doesn't have the battery grunt to start (presumably you didn't wind on it for ages & ages) then it sounds like a shot battery, after that I'd check the charging system. I wouldn't try & diagnose anything until that was sound as if it isn't healthy the bike may die at low revs.

Find someone with a van or trailer.

flyingcrocodile46
1st May 2008, 21:11
Sounds like your spark plugs have become fouled. Remove them and check to see if they are black and sooty looking. They may also look wet & oily if you have been trying to start the bike without it firing (or if it has been missing). If they are coked up, it would indicate that the carb air fuel mix has been set too rich. Clean them with a wire brush, re-install and fire her up.

Re the clutch issue... It is normal (when motor isn't running) for it too seem as though the clutch hasn't been pulled in. I have had 5 bikes and all have done the same thing when in gear and motor not going.

If you want to bump start the bike, keep it in neutral until you have a bit of speed up (pref coasting down hill) then pull clutch in, put her in 2nd gear and pop the clutch. (edit... don't forget to turn the key on and make sure the kill switch isn't in play)

Clean the plugs first and it will start a lot easier (either by elec or bump start)