PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem

Lindon
5th May 2008, 17:31
Hi guys. First post.

Background: Just getting into dirt bike riding but am mechanically competent (mechanical engineer).

Just doing full service on 2005 KX250F I've just bought for peace of mind before I start riding the bike (done: oil+filter+valve clearance adjustment+air filter+brake bleed+chain tension+rear wheel alignment+spoke tighten etc).

I can't get the clutch right. I've setup the lever play 3-4 mm as per workshop manual. The clutch seems to be riding, kick bike into gear well holding the clutch and the bike edges forward. Riding around it's fine, doesn't slip or anything seems to bite hard. Then can't get the bike into neutral unless you lift the rear wheel up because of the load on it from the clutch riding. I then adjust it further to try resolve this even on extremes it still does it but when you go to ride the bike the clutch slips.

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's something with the internals of either the clutch or the engagement lever. Thanks.

F5 Dave
6th May 2008, 17:48
ok so the clutch is dragging. But you reassembled it with same parts?

have a look on the US Kawasaki site & look for parts diagrams. Is there anything you have missed? Not being familiar with KX (last kawi I had was 91 kdx) & taht was a while back, is there a ball bearing in-between the pushrod & the clutch pressure plate missing? Are all the plates the same thickness?

Was the basket knotched? steels in the same way around? (often sharp edge back). is the motor lever at right angles when it is pulled (for best leverage/most throw)? or is it oddly adjusted indicating something is amiss?

oh yeah, welcome to the site.
PS DRN.net is a US site that will have more dirt people familiar with late model KX.

Henk
7th May 2008, 21:25
Pretty much what Dave said. Take the clutch cover off and check the clutch basket for notching, if it is and the grooves aren't too deep you might be able to file them out. With a three year old bike this is reasonably unlikely. More likely is that you have one or more steels that are warped, take them out and check them on a surface plate ( or a sheet of glass) you might be able to get specs for the runout off the web, any bikes specs should be close enough. If you find one that is warped you might be able to bend it back. I've done this with the plates in my TM a couple of times before I got bored with taking it to bits and decided to live with a draging clutch.

T bone
7th May 2008, 21:46
check clutch free play down at the gearbox, I just did mine & its made a huge difference, now no longer slips when given WOT

Lindon
11th May 2008, 11:32
Thanks guys.

Nah I haven't taken the actual clutch apart yet, just bought the bike few weeks ago. Rode it yesterday and how I've got clutch free play inline with specs it definitely doesn't slip at WOT. However when I'm stationary can't get it into neutral unless kill engine, you can get it in if you let the bike roll forwards while you change. I'll see how annoyed I get with it then might pull the clutch down and check it out.

So noone thinks it's something with the lever action? I think if I had more throw on the lever somehow (the guy before me has put a non-standard pertch on it that looks pretty crap) poss it's not getting enough throw?

Henk
11th May 2008, 17:34
Sounds a lot like warped steels. Or realy crap oil but thats unlikely.

quallman1234
12th May 2008, 13:14
Try adjust it out by feel.

Wheeliemonsta
13th May 2008, 10:59
Hi guys. First post.

Background: Just getting into dirt bike riding but am mechanically competent (mechanical engineer).

Just doing full service on 2005 KX250F I've just bought for peace of mind before I start riding the bike (done: oil+filter+valve clearance adjustment+air filter+brake bleed+chain tension+rear wheel alignment+spoke tighten etc).

I can't get the clutch right. I've setup the lever play 3-4 mm as per workshop manual. The clutch seems to be riding, kick bike into gear well holding the clutch and the bike edges forward. Riding around it's fine, doesn't slip or anything seems to bite hard. Then can't get the bike into neutral unless you lift the rear wheel up because of the load on it from the clutch riding. I then adjust it further to try resolve this even on extremes it still does it but when you go to ride the bike the clutch slips.

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's something with the internals of either the clutch or the engagement lever. Thanks.

Gidday Lindon,
These may be of some help...

Cheers

:rockon: