PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox needle rollers

Paul in NZ
21st December 2004, 07:20
Hey Motu.... (or any other clever clogs)

I cannot remember (assuming I ever knew) how the heck to remove the layshaft needle roller bearing in my unit triumph cases... If the weather keeps up I may as well get all the bearings in and throw the bottom end together over the holidays...

Paul N

White trash
21st December 2004, 07:24
Put it in the correct forum to start with :killingme

Paul in NZ
21st December 2004, 07:53
Put it in the correct forum to start with :killingme

Eh? What you talkin about?

White trash
21st December 2004, 08:56
I can't quite see a bike such as yours fitting in the Sports bike tweaking category.

Maybe when you were my age...... :innocent:

Paul in NZ
21st December 2004, 09:09
Yet strangely.... The Triumph 650's were the GSXR's/Fireblades/R1's of their age...

And surely age does not diminish their glory? If so.... Your old GSXR aint no sports bike either...

My TR6C (C stands for Competition - which was a bit of a laugh by 1970) was an highway capable semi dirt bike... Years before funduros and such like...

Paul N

bites like a fish

White trash
21st December 2004, 09:13
And surely age does not diminish their glory? If so.... Your old GSXR aint no sports bike either...

'Kin 'ell mate! It's only 10 months old, weighs 168kg with 151 hp at the rear wrap!

How much sportier do you wanna get?!

Motu
21st December 2004, 09:16
From memory (???) the drive side bearing is blind,so you can knock it out from the outside,I'm pretty sure it's not a blind hole in the case,but the one in the inner cover is open both ends.Heat the cases in the oven (save money and do it with the Turkey) and they should knock out easy - but I do have a memory of having to break up a needle roller outer case to remove.

Paul in NZ
21st December 2004, 09:24
'Kin 'ell mate! It's only 10 months old, weighs 168kg with 151 hp at the rear wrap!

How much sportier do you wanna get?!

I said your OLD one....

Paul in NZ
21st December 2004, 09:26
From memory (???) the drive side bearing is blind,so you can knock it out from the outside,I'm pretty sure it's not a blind hole in the case,but the one in the inner cover is open both ends.Heat the cases in the oven (save money and do it with the Turkey) and they should knock out easy - but I do have a memory of having to break up a needle roller outer case to remove.

D'oh!

Thanks... Thats right... little metal cap by the sprocket... (sigh)

Must get this thing stuck together and ride it.. If only the distractions were not so distracting....

Paul N

Motu
21st December 2004, 10:04
The pre units had an open bush both sides,the sprocket side was sealed with a frost plug.

It's 1976,New Years Eve...I have returned to Orcland with a knocking bigend in the B31 to find a young lady I knew with a 57 Speedtwin leaking oil from the layshaft,the frost plug had dropped out.That was a big job and everyone had abandoned her,she was all alone with no hope of going away on her bike as planned,she was capable of fixing it herself,but her holiday was toast.

''Well it's 3 o'clock now and I'm off to Taranaki,grab a toothbrush and let's get out of here'' So it's our 28th anniversary soon...

Paul in NZ
21st December 2004, 14:13
The pre units had an open bush both sides,the sprocket side was sealed with a frost plug.

It's 1976,New Years Eve...I have returned to Orcland with a knocking bigend in the B31 to find a young lady I knew with a 57 Speedtwin leaking oil from the layshaft,the frost plug had dropped out.That was a big job and everyone had abandoned her,she was all alone with no hope of going away on her bike as planned,she was capable of fixing it herself,but her holiday was toast.

''Well it's 3 o'clock now and I'm off to Taranaki,grab a toothbrush and let's get out of here'' So it's our 28th anniversary soon...

Now thats style mate....

That man deserves a Speights

F5 Dave
21st December 2004, 16:38
'Kin 'ell mate! It's only 10 months old, weighs 168kg . . .

We need to get you to some accurate scales :bleh:

James Deuce
21st December 2004, 16:47
I can't quite see a bike such as yours fitting in the Sports bike tweaking category.

Maybe when you were my age...... :innocent:

In a grudge match I'd put my money on Paul. No matter what the weapons to hand. He's older, meaner, and more cunning than the proverbial weasel.

F5 Dave
21st December 2004, 16:51
Are you saying Trashy IS the proverbial weasel? That's not very nice Jim :lol:

James Deuce
21st December 2004, 16:52
Are you saying Trashy IS the proverbial weasel? That's not very nice Jim :lol:

Could well be.

White trash
27th December 2004, 18:13
We need to get you to some accurate scales :bleh:

Mate! The Suzuki sales brochure never lies.

It's similar to the Kawasaki one which states ZX10Rs have 180hp and safe front wheels. The new ZX636 also has 136hp.

White trash
27th December 2004, 18:15
:disapint:
In a grudge match I'd put my money on Paul. No matter what the weapons to hand. He's older, meaner, and more cunning than the proverbial weasel.

:crybaby: It's true, old age and treachery beat youth and skill every time....