PDA

View Full Version : Speedo cable clicking?

CDFloss
13th May 2008, 15:51
Hey. I've done a search on the site for "speedo cable" but couldnt find an answer, so hopefully someone can help.

Firstly, can someone explain how the speedo cable assembly basically works? Is the one cable going from my instrument cluster down to the front wheel hub used for the speedo as well as ticking over the odometer?

The reason I ask is that I can hear a clicking coming from that general area (i.e. the cable), which goes up in frequency as my speed increases. It originally only made the clicking noise when I rolled the bike backwards, but now I've also noticed it riding normally. Its not super-loud (cant hear it unless I concentrate on it while riding), but can clearly hear it when rolling the bike around slowly.

Cheers folks. :2thumbsup
Dave

sinfull
13th May 2008, 15:59
Try undoing the cable and refixing it ! Perhaps even reset the trip meter !
and yeah cable runs both !

spookytooth
13th May 2008, 16:01
it could possible be a frayed cable one strand loose and catching on the casing.Try unscrewing from the top{under speedo}and spraying a bit of crc down it.The inside bit may even pull out letting u have a look

Guided_monkey
13th May 2008, 16:09
Agree with the above...... also detach both ends and see if the cable will freely rotate.

It could be that the speedo cable was caught and kinked the inner core.

Good luck.

:apint:

Str8 Jacket
13th May 2008, 16:12
Also check that the speedo driver isnt 'breaking down' I had a similar prob with an old bike except that the cable itself also used to always fall out so I loctited it in place worked well for awhile until the speedo driver stripped itself. A speedo driver is a peice of plastic with a bit of metal in it and it can cost a ridiculous amount to replace!!

CDFloss
13th May 2008, 16:16
Sweet, thanks all.