PDA

View Full Version : The SMC social KB group

motorbyclist
15th May 2008, 00:58
attention all SMC members (official and honourary alike)

i've taken the initiative with the latest upgrades to the forum and started the official SMC social group

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/group.php

click on our group and join if not already invited

Please remember that this doesnot currently constitute official membership with the club. for that you should PM Squiggles and have a gold coin ready (it's a AUSA legal thing we need to do to get funding)

and no you don't have to be a current uni student to join

UPDATE: 12/06/08

upon the social groups becoming forums, the social group will become fully public to allow our lurking non-registered members to have a squizz along with the rest of KB (and get the numbers up)

hopefully we can keep a sort of "private" area aside from the forum such as what we have now, but until that happens there's not much that can be done

Phurrball
15th May 2008, 14:44
Invite only - ie students, alumni, friends of the SMC and anyone else with a bona fide reason to join - no particular exclusivity entailed, just a necessary connection.

This allows a modicum of control over trolling types just out to make trubs.

Basically, anyone with a good reason to join, can join.

That would make the SMC a quasi-public social group I guess? A microcosm of motorcycling that touches on the tertiary education experience in some way...

Thoughts??

Ross.

Cr1MiNaL
15th May 2008, 20:08
this can be the place we post all those illegal pics without worrying !

motorbyclist
15th May 2008, 20:33
well currently it's 12 in favour of private and 3 for public

will change it shortly

motorbyclist
15th May 2008, 20:36
ok, invite only and users must join to view content

Cr1MiNaL
15th May 2008, 20:38
u better be right about this !! im diggin out some pics...

shingo
15th May 2008, 22:05
Are you going to kick out the guys who joined before you set it to invite only?

Hanne
15th May 2008, 22:17

Witch hunt, witch hunt! :woohoo::woohoo: this could be fun... :P
I bags getting to use the chainsaw.

The Stranger
15th May 2008, 23:09
So let me see if I have this right.
1) You go to a public forum to set up your own little corner of the world.
2) Being incapable of decision, you need to ask the public if your own little corner of the world should be private or not.
3) Finally it is decided (by the public) that the he man woman haters club should be private.

And people wonder why there is so little respect for academia.

bomma
15th May 2008, 23:36
2) Being incapable of decision, you need to ask the public if your own little corner of the world should be private or not.
3) Finally it is decided (by the public) that the he man woman haters club should be private.

Putting it into prespective...

1) go to a public forum and provide an area of exclusivity for members who would rather not share all things with general public....not like we arent going to post on general kb just coz we have a members area....

2) for anything to be successful it needs approval and needs to be accepted. what better way to pilot test it than to ask the target audience what they would prefer? doesnt take a genius to figure that out....

3) obviously there will be a massive sampling bias, in that only those with any real benefit would voice their opinion.....joe average isnt going to happen upon this thread and vote because joe average isnt going to care....i voted private because i know that having an area where i can chat with just my mates from the club is beneficial for me.....

so in your request to let you "see if you have it right" i'd personally say you have it horribly HORRIBLY wrong......:calm:

The Stranger
16th May 2008, 00:19
Putting it into prespective...

1) go to a public forum and provide an area of exclusivity for members who would rather not share all things with general public....not like we arent going to post on general kb just coz we have a members area....

2) for anything to be successful it needs approval and needs to be accepted. what better way to pilot test it than to ask the target audience what they would prefer? doesnt take a genius to figure that out....

3) obviously there will be a massive sampling bias, in that only those with any real benefit would voice their opinion.....joe average isnt going to happen upon this thread and vote because joe average isnt going to care....i voted private because i know that having an area where i can chat with just my mates from the club is beneficial for me.....

so in your request to let you "see if you have it right" i'd personally say you have it horribly HORRIBLY wrong......:calm:

1) Damn, that's got me now, I guess I'll have to attend uni and join the SMC to really get a handle on the big juicy secrets that can't be shared with KB. Really I couldn't care less if you still post in the general areas, It's not like you would be missed or something. In fact, I too voted for you to keep your dribble private in the hopes that you would do so.

2) Hmm. I guess you are right. After all spankme went through a similar process when setting up KB, only it was much harder for him as KB didn't exist to hold his hand during this awkward and uncertain period.

3) It's only Auckland, you can meet and chat you know. Oh wait, that would possibly involve riding.

bomma
16th May 2008, 01:17
1) Damn, that's got me now, I guess I'll have to attend uni and join the SMC to really get a handle on the big juicy secrets that can't be shared with KB. Really I couldn't care less if you still post in the general areas, It's not like you would be missed or something. In fact, I too voted for you to keep your dribble private in the hopes that you would do so.

2) Hmm. I guess you are right. After all spankme went through a similar process when setting up KB, only it was much harder for him as KB didn't exist to hold his hand during this awkward and uncertain period.

3) It's only Auckland, you can meet and chat you know. Oh wait, that would possibly involve riding.

:sweatdrop you're acting like we are cheating on you dude.:whocares:...think the first sentence of your signature says it all....didnt need any numbers this time.....

and wait doesnt your third point defeat the whole purpose of kiwibiker?? :dodge:

motorbyclist
16th May 2008, 01:25
1) it's a way to have an "official" count of SMC affiliates, larely so we can keep track of each other and give a PM mailing list for important events that non-registered members may be interested in and may not otherwise hear about

it also gives us a place to have discussion withOUT idiots how claim they don't care to go shit stirring - that includes the safety nazis and people like you (in this case)

2) i posted up in the SMC sub-forum, for ALL to read. basically to get a general opinion of KB with the obvious SMC bias as it really affects them both. why wouldn't i use all the tools available to me?

3) it was decided by ME that in light of overwhelming support for a private group that i will (for now) make it so. was there not such a huge outcome it would have reamined pub lic (for now). was it decided at the friday night chiller that it should be private it probably would've happened. (yes that's right, we DO meet in real life and DO ride when we arent training to support YOU in your retirement.

and people wonder why "academia" set up their own private area as they can't be fucked dealing with arrogant jerks that can't look any further than their tall poppy syndrome prejudices

motorbyclist
16th May 2008, 01:27
in light of recent posts, i've finally decided to vote private

motorbyclist
16th May 2008, 01:37

Witch hunt, witch hunt! :woohoo::woohoo: this could be fun... :P

hrmm, well there's only two that don't know about, so we'll discuss the witch-hunt within the group

TOTO
16th May 2008, 01:43
Who do I need to kill to get invited ?

motorbyclist
16th May 2008, 01:45
haha i was just trying to figure out if i'd invited you or not

i'm sure i did, but couldn't find you as a member

motorbyclist
16th May 2008, 01:46
....:done:

inlinefour
16th May 2008, 01:50

Reckon, sounds like a bunch of nerdy twats that can't ride for shit, but talk shit about riding. I guess you don't want to feel bad if someone got in that could actually ride a motorcycle?:laugh:

motorbyclist
16th May 2008, 01:50
yeah i am still around....havent fallen off a cliff and died or anything, should be back real soon, just been busy with other stuff last few months. i think i might need to learn to ride again lol

:doh::stupid:

whatever happened to hong? haven't heard from him for quite a while

TOTO
16th May 2008, 02:07
....:done:

Thanks, i'm honoured :banana:

The Stranger
16th May 2008, 08:08
in light of recent posts, i've finally decided to vote private

Bold move - actually making a decision I mean.

ital916
16th May 2008, 08:11
Reckon, sounds like a bunch of nerdy twats that can't ride for shit, but talk shit about riding. I guess you don't want to feel bad if someone got in that could actually ride a motorcycle?:laugh:

:laugh:. I like the idea of a private club forum on a public forum allowing for public and private discussions and threads. And to say that club members can't ride is a stupid call, lots of us are noobs, but plenty of us can ride very well, like isaac and motorb and nish and...list goes on.

The Stranger
16th May 2008, 09:59
:sweatdrop you're acting like we are cheating on you dude.:whocares:...think the first sentence of your signature says it all....didnt need any numbers this time.....

and wait doesnt your third point defeat the whole purpose of kiwibiker?? :dodge:

You serious?
KB is social by nature. Despite my lack of respect, abuse and condescending attitude I have managed to meet folk far and wide whom I would never have known existed without KB.
When I wish to converse or have a private discussion I will usually meet these people as described in point 3, however, should there be a need for random private discussion I can phone, text, email or IM.

Your proposed clique is anti social in nature and thus nothing like KB. As to being jilted, sorry no way. A significant portion of the posts by the kiddies are very skidmarkish anyway eg (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73352). There is definite merit in keeping this kind of rubbish private, hence my vote.

So to answer your question - No.

bomma
16th May 2008, 10:38
You serious?
KB is social by nature. Despite my lack of respect, abuse and condescending attitude I have managed to meet folk far and wide whom I would never have known existed without KB.
When I wish to converse or have a private discussion I will usually meet these people as described in point 3, however, should there be a need for random private discussion I can phone, text, email or IM.

Your proposed clique is anti social in nature and thus nothing like KB. As to being jilted, sorry no way. A significant portion of the posts by the kiddies are very skidmarkish anyway eg (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=73352). There is definite merit in keeping this kind of rubbish private, hence my vote.

lol your logic is beyond my capabilities of comprehension.....so you yourself part-take in private conversation (as i assume a large proportion of kbers do) but the moment someone sets up a group-based private area you start a crusade of abuse.....and you say it's anti-social.....but the private area has been set up more to have quick and easy contact with the club members and not to skive off and have private chats in a virtual cafe.....

but at the end of the day, your posts are mindless drivel to somebody and if each one of those person's bitched to you about it, then kb would be a sad place.....i really hope that you are able to change your attitude, and if your ways are set in stone, then i really hope that there arent too many more people with your attitude that pop up on kb.....somehow i dont feel like the club needs to explain its ways to a muppet....

good day sir :done:

Squiggles
16th May 2008, 11:45
somehow i dont feel like the club needs to explain its ways to a muppet....

good day sir :done:

Boy its going to be funny when you meet him in person @ the RRRS course (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28643&highlight=ride+right+ride+safe)

inlinefour
16th May 2008, 11:58
:laugh:. I like the idea of a private club forum on a public forum allowing for public and private discussions and threads. And to say that club members can't ride is a stupid call, lots of us are noobs, but plenty of us can ride very well, like isaac and motorb and nish and...list goes on.

I'm sure your right there about the riding, although it depends on what level of riding your actually talking about. I just think that any group that excludes open membership is just a bunch of tards yanking each others %^&* to make themselves feel important. Nothing wrong with being a noob, I used to ride the DRZ as it could only do 152kph but that was ringing the nuts off it and often rode with slower riders and still enjoyed myself. In fact, roads that I had ridden down at stupid speeds so many times, I was actually able to have a look around as I'd never seen anything but the road before.

bomma
16th May 2008, 12:22
Boy its going to be funny when you meet him in person @ the RRRS course (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28643&highlight=ride+right+ride+safe)

oi about that, coz of certain reasons i prolly wont be able to attend the course....i know that this is a bit late notice so if there is nobody else who can fill my place, ill pay you but i just wont be able to come. soz

lol solves that problem now doesnt it :clap:

motorbyclist
16th May 2008, 12:32
I just think that any group that excludes open membership is just a bunch of tards yanking each others %^&* to make themselves feel important.

ass-u-me?

we have never excluded people from joining the club, and being a club member or not has never affected anyone's ability to come on a ride unless AUSA funding was dependant on their membership (their rules not ours)

there is currently no criteria to be met in order to join.

it costs only a dollar to join, and that is just to make AUSA happy (they fund alot of stuff we do)

KB has allowed for private goups, where people can discuss things without being harrassed by others, and you're having a go as us for using this new feature? this prvate group is ultimately just a way for us to keep track of active members so we can discuss things relevant to the club without interference/repercussions

clearly this argument arising after posting up in the public SMC subforum rather than the private area somewhat proves this point.

this isn't the first time some biased, stubborn wankers (or trolls) have gone into our student area and then had a go at us students using the same old rhetoric based on false premises. frankly you can all fuck off. this is EXACTLY why it's private.

The Stranger
16th May 2008, 12:37
oi about that, coz of certain reasons i prolly wont be able to attend the course....i know that this is a bit late notice so if there is nobody else who can fill my place, ill pay you but i just wont be able to come. soz

lol solves that problem now doesnt it :clap:

Problem?
What problem?
Having to associate with and interact with real live people?

ital916
16th May 2008, 12:54
You serious?

Hi there, thanks for linking to my post, it may be drivel but it was drivel posted in the smc forum where I know who I am posting to, it was because I had a lot of bad news that day and needed to vent so as such put up that thread, not if you don't like it you can fuck off. I'm a nice guy and I'm sure in some demented dimension where everyone in the world is deaf blind and mute, you would be too, but so far your just sounding like a fucking twat. Fair enough you dont like the fact that there is a private group here so you can go and post in the rest of kb and be happy. Just leave matey if you don't like it. I look forward to meeting you at the ride right ride safe course to hopefully change my view of you and find out that you are a nice person but up until that day you are a cunt for trolling through thr SMC club just stirring up shit,your opinion don't force it on others.

inlinefour
16th May 2008, 13:00
ass-u-me?

we have never excluded people from joining the club, and being a club member or not has never affected anyone's ability to come on a ride unless AUSA funding was dependant on their membership (their rules not ours)

there is currently no criteria to be met in order to join.

it costs only a dollar to join, and that is just to make AUSA happy (they fund alot of stuff we do)

KB has allowed for private goups, where people can discuss things without being harrassed by others, and you're having a go as us for using this new feature? this prvate group is ultimately just a way for us to keep track of active members so we can discuss things relevant to the club without interference/repercussions

clearly this argument arising after posting up in the public SMC subforum rather than the private area somewhat proves this point.

this isn't the first time some biased, stubborn wankers (or trolls) have gone into our student area and then had a go at us students using the same old rhetoric based on false premises. frankly you can all fuck off. this is EXACTLY why it's private.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha!!!! "wipes the tears from my eyes" Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! !!!! Now I think you might need to sit down and take a rather large chill pill. Have a few drinks and have a shag or at least a masti as you ovbiously have some stress building up and I'd hate for you to have a stroke. If you look at the first post and the poll, this thread asks for opinions. Whats the point of you spitting the dummy if you see something that you do not actually like then? I've just offerred my opinion here, so flame me, burn me at the stake, whatever. I really do not care. :mellow:

bomma
16th May 2008, 13:05
Problem?
What problem?
Having to associate with and interact with real live people?

lol nah the problem of having to deal with ignorant twats.....:laugh:

haha dushy mate ive got a surprise for you....will see if im home tonight and if i am i then :shifty:

Squiggles
16th May 2008, 13:33
you tards take bait so easily.

avgas
16th May 2008, 13:41
can i have lemonade at your clubhouse?

The Stranger
16th May 2008, 15:00
What a lovely day for fishing, sun is shining, no wind, water is calm and the fish are biting hard.
What more could you ask?

inlinefour
16th May 2008, 15:58
Hi there, thanks for linking to my post, it may be drivel but it was drivel posted in the smc forum where I know who I am posting to, it was because I had a lot of bad news that day and needed to vent so as such put up that thread, not if you don't like it you can fuck off. I'm a nice guy and I'm sure in some demented dimension where everyone in the world is deaf blind and mute, you would be too, but so far your just sounding like a fucking twat. Fair enough you dont like the fact that there is a private group here so you can go and post in the rest of kb and be happy. Just leave matey if you don't like it. I look forward to meeting you at the ride right ride safe course to hopefully change my view of you and find out that you are a nice person but up until that day you are a cunt for trolling through thr SMC club just stirring up shit,your opinion don't force it on others.

For someone who is pointing the finger here, you doing a rather good job at contradicting yourself. Is this a case of do as I say but not what I do? Does not matter much anyway as I'm sure its all heading for PD soon...:buggerd:

The Stranger
16th May 2008, 17:13
For someone who is pointing the finger here, you doing a rather good job at contradicting yourself. Is this a case of do as I say but not what I do? Does not matter much anyway as I'm sure its all heading for PD soon...:buggerd:

Amazing!
All the uni girls seem to be menstruating at the same time.
What's the odds of that?

Cr1MiNaL
16th May 2008, 19:58
Amazing!
What's the odds of that?

Oye you guys stop squabling with one another. I know all parties involved here and it seems very trivial to me that such highly educated people could nag about such an insignificant matter. The Stranger is a good person and so are each one of you guys/girls, why not just get along. PS: The Stranger, what you say is not entirely correct. If you put together all the AUMC and the rest of kb to the test you will be surprised with who works better in a team, can achieve more in a shorter span of time, who can handle more stress etc. everything that matters in todays' competitive environment.

I work in a very very stressful environment myself and see people stressing all the time around me and all throughout I remain undaunted due to the stress I was used to dealing with at Varsity (it really does teach you more about yourself as a person and goes much further than textbook knowledge). Besides academia are very well respected in todays day and age and get the best jobs hands-down.

And the rest of you The Stranger is not a disconcerting prick, as a matter of fact he could beat the pants off all of you put together figuratively speaking, if you were to compare riding abilities! Think about it if I could, he sure as heck can. He has taught me a lot and I have immense respect for the bloke so stop disrespecting him. More than half of you could benefit from attending the AWNMR (free).

Word
YR64L.

bomma
16th May 2008, 21:11
^ lol you're bigger than me so ill take your word on it....i like peace :beer:

ital916
16th May 2008, 21:49
Amazing!
What's the odds of that?

You've gone through menopause thats why your so calm lol

motorbyclist
16th May 2008, 22:44
If you look at the first post and the poll, this thread asks for opinions. Whats the point of you spitting the dummy if you see something that you do not actually like then? I've just offerred my opinion here, so flame me, burn me at the stake, whatever. I really do not care. :mellow:

we can discuss expressed opinions can we not? while it may have come across to you in that way, 'm not getting too fussed about this. it just seemed the other way around, and of couse justified the action taken that you were criticising

might add that your opinion wasn't even helpful

More than half of you could benefit from attending the AWNMR (free).

did, agree

inlinefour
16th May 2008, 23:36
Amazing!
What's the odds of that?

Apparently its a known fact that if you put a bunch of shelias together for long enough they will all go off at the same time like clockwork. I remember reading a reseach article while I was a student (no shit either). I did the Ba of Nursing with mainly females and I believe it to be true. Allways knew when it was time because the same few would start and that would generally be enough to set the rest off. Case of dejavu? :devil2:

bomma
16th May 2008, 23:41
Apparently its a known fact that if you put a bunch of shelias together for long enough they will all go off at the same time like clockwork. I remember reading a reseach article while I was a student (no shit either). I did the Ba of Nursing with mainly females and I believe it to be true. Allways knew when it was time because the same few would start and that would generally be enough to set the rest off. Case of dejavu? :devil2:

lol its like god's way of saying "too much of a good thing"

motorbyclist
20th May 2008, 23:04
ok, so after a bit of looking on KB i've found that by making this a moderated group people can ask to join and a mod (me) must first approve

it won't be hard to get in, just be a SMC member or come on a ride or two/troll the sub-forum enough

EDIT: could an actual mod plz remove or close the poll?

bomma
20th May 2008, 23:50
should start taking bribes in return for memberships andrew :devil2: its a pity the membership fees only $1 or you cudda made some real money!!!

shingo
21st May 2008, 00:10
should start taking bribes in return for memberships andrew :devil2: its a pity the membership fees only $1 or you cudda made some real money!!!

hmmmm...I think the fact that no one wants to join would be a bigger issue than the cheap join up fee.

motorbyclist
21st May 2008, 02:12
bah, the social group has no real bearing on actually being a registered member anyway - it's just for those who are part of the active group of members

basically, if we have ever seen you at one of our rides/events and/or you post in the SMC part of the forum regularly you are very likely to get in

motorbyclist
12th June 2008, 00:01
NOTE

upon the social groups becoming forums, the group will become fully public to allow our lurking non-registered members to have a squizz along with the rest of KB (and get the numbers up)

hopefully we can keep a sort of "private" area aside from the forum such as what we have now, but until that happens there's not much that can be done

shingo
12th June 2008, 00:15
NOTE

upon the social groups becoming forums, the group will become fully public to allow our lurking non-registered members to have a squizz along with the rest of KB (and get the numbers up)

not according to this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=74797)

"SG's that have group type set to "moderated" or "invite only" will have their forum and everything in it visible only to the SG members, Senior Mods and Admins. Mods and other users will not even see the forum listed in the SGf cat. These SG forums will be known as private."

motorbyclist
12th June 2008, 00:34
yes i realised that, and that's why i was planning to make it public for the sake of SMC members etc wanting to check up on our rides and fix it nights etc

(i have the power - may as well (ab)use it!)

shingo
12th June 2008, 00:36
yes i realised that, and that's why i was planning to make it public for the sake of SMC members etc wanting to check up on our rides and fix it nights etc

(i have the power - may as well (ab)use it!)

My bad, didn't read your post properly.