PDA

View Full Version : Cooling fan won't turn off

Sparrowhawk
19th May 2008, 06:39
I ride a '90 GPX250, and if it's a hot day, the cooling fan will keep running when I turn the bike off, for a few minutes. No worries. But the last couple of times, the fan hasn't stopped. The first time it kept running till the battery went flat, the second time I was ready for it, and after 10 minutes I disconnected the battery.

Any thoughts on what would cause that? I'm guessing the fan is controlled by a temp sensor, could that be on the fritz?

Your advice would be appreciated! :confused:

awayatc
19th May 2008, 07:37
If you trace the wires from the fan you will see that one of the two is connected to a screw in switch .....(radiator) When the temperature rises it closes the circuit, and when the temperature drops it discontinues.
Take both wires of that switch, and when you bridge them fan should go on.
Take the temp switch out and clean it. It should switch on at a certain temperature (stamped on or check bikes manual) you can check this with an ohm meter and a pot with hot water on the stove.....
If the switch is faulty indeed (not just dirty/corroded a bit) you better get a new one from the dealer..

Kittyhawk
19th May 2008, 07:43
*runs to get maha man for help...

Maha
19th May 2008, 14:43
*runs to get maha man for help...

Im here for ya Kitty....a bird in the bush is worth how much???
If you two ever meet and multipy, the fledglings would be called what?

Kittyhawk
19th May 2008, 14:52
Im here for ya Kitty....a bird in the bush is worth how much???
If you two ever meet and multipy, the fledglings would be called what?

erum *scratches head* the mind wonders as to what kind of mutants would be produced

FROSTY
19th May 2008, 18:26
I ride a '90 GPX250, and if it's a hot day, the cooling fan will keep running when I turn the bike off, for a few minutes. No worries. But the last couple of times, the fan hasn't stopped. The first time it kept running till the battery went flat, the second time I was ready for it, and after 10 minutes I disconnected the battery.

Any thoughts on what would cause that? I'm guessing the fan is controlled by a temp sensor, could that be on the fritz?

Your advice would be appreciated! :confused:
Quick tempo fix is to rip the plug offa the fan.
then as above--do check for corroded contacts and plugs squeezed together

mashman
19th May 2008, 21:09
I had a similar, if not opposite problem with my ZXR. the thermostat was screwed and the fan never came on to cool the bike. Go to any electircal or hardware shop and buy the smallest looking/waterproof light switch that you can find, cut the wires and rewire it with the light switch in it (obviously any switch will do). In your case you can leave the switch open, but when you think the bike is cool enough, just flick the switch off... I wrapped mine in cellophane and taped the edges for waterproofing... Not exactly elegant, but certainly functional