PDA

View Full Version : Replacing coolant/distilled water, etc?

Usarka
25th May 2008, 19:19
Havent had the need to take apart cooling system before. I'm hoping my service manual has all the details but i cant find it at the mo.......

How does one fill up a bike with coolant? Just keep pooring (sic) the stuff into the resoivoir while the bike is running and hope for the best? (i would have thought the resovoir would only work when the cap is sealed???)

And where do i get distilled water from? i haven't owned a still for 10 years and even when i did the fire water it produced was more suitable for the fuel tank....:whistle:

ta.

tri boy
25th May 2008, 20:04
Pre mix glycol should be available from most auto outlets.
Refilling. I take my time, (0.5-1.0ltrs a min), allowing most cavities to expel trapped air. If you just slosh it in, you will have drama's bleeding the air out.
Some engines have air bleed points at thermostat housings or on the top of cyl head.
Refer to the manual.
Distilled water can be obtained from some supermarkets, or contact your local forklift companies. (their batt forklifts should be topped up with distilled water. try Crown equip).

xgnr
25th May 2008, 20:55
[QUOTE=tri boy;1578751.
Distilled water can be obtained from some supermarkets, or contact your local forklift companies. (their batt forklifts should be topped up with distilled water. try Crown equip).[/QUOTE]

You could also ask someone that owns a de-humidifier eh.

slopster
25th May 2008, 21:31
So much easier to just buy pre mixed coolant and not that much more expensive

chester
25th May 2008, 21:50
repco and/or super cheap has the distilled water

erik
25th May 2008, 21:53
the foodtown in new lynn has puredew distilled water next to all the other mineral waters and stuff, I'd think many other supermarkets would also have it or some other brand (make sure you get the distilled water, not mineral water).

Max Preload
31st May 2008, 13:49
You could also ask someone that owns a de-humidifier eh.

Dehumidifier water is filthy. Don't confuse water vapour with distilled or demineralised water.

What you really want is demineralised water not distilled, but in a cooling system it doesn't make that much difference - it's intended for battery use although it's a rare case where a battery needs an electrolyte top-up and isn't almost done for anyway. The reason for the electrolyte loss needs to be looked at.

FROSTY
31st May 2008, 14:34
A really good product is called water wetter. You get it from performance car places

Bonez
31st May 2008, 15:45
repco and/or super cheap has the distilled waterIt's demineralised water in 1ltr, 3ltr and 4ltr containers. As well as pemixed coolants of various percentages as Tri-boy alluded to. Service manual should have all the details of coolent to demineralised water mix. Get the right type for your cycle as per the manual. For example my CX500 requires a silicate free coolent.

thommo77
30th August 2008, 19:50
What 'brand' do you guys recommend for my bike (09 klx250)? Manual says nothing about adding water - only if using antifreeze. All it says is that coolant must contain rust/corrosion inhibitors.

spongebob
9th September 2008, 22:26
hi personaly the distilled water a small aspect mix between 35 % antifreeze to 65% water and up to 50% antifreeze 50% water make about 3.5 lt mix use a rubber tube that fits tight around inner curcle of radiator cap space.
about 100 mm of tube then a funnel will be all you need the rubber hose lifts the max hight of coolent well above the hight of coolent system once full run engine for aprox 2 min or untill water stops letting air out easy safe way to ensure no air gaps air always works its way up