PDA

View Full Version : SV650 cam chain tensioner?

bluefishNZ
27th May 2008, 20:06
I have searched the forums and have not found anything to do with SV650 cam chain tensioner. Apologies if I have missed it. But I have the dreaded SV cam chain rattle. It started about 4 months ago and has got steadily worse.

So my question is, has anybody with a SV650 pre 2003 model had the same issue and what did they do to fix it. I am considering getting some of the APE manual tensioner, or would it be best to take it to the shop so they can sort it. Not flushed with cash so looking at all options besides leaving it.

If any SV racer view this do you run the standard ones or do you replace with manual adjusters. Any advice welcome.

Guided_monkey
27th May 2008, 21:07
Not too sure how helpful but a cam chain tensioner on my VTR went about 12 mths ago. I wouldn't leave for too long as the cam chain can 'jump' from it's normal position.

The end affect could be bent and broken valves..........:weep:

Replaced mine as a set.

Good luck. :calm:

GSVR
31st May 2008, 14:20
I had the problem with my carbed SV. It was quite noticable when sitting at traffic lights etc. so for piece of mind I made some manual tensioners up and the motor sounded alot queiter afterwards. You can also make manual tensioners out of the auto ones.

The system is a screw and light spring type assembly that I think can rattle back when the engine is idling. On the later injected models they changed to a rachet mechanism so if you can get hold of some of these the probelm should be fixed also. Make sure to learn the correct way to fit them.

How many miles/kms has your bike done?

FROSTY
31st May 2008, 14:26
The modification I was told works is throwing away the old tensioners and fitting up tensioners from the later model sv's
I bought a set but my sv has never had this problem -theyre around here--somewhere

bluefishNZ
3rd June 2008, 08:40
The bike has only done 6000 miles, and has just started this in the last 1000 miles, typically after the 5000mile service.

@Frosty : if you could find them and were willing to sell the 03+ ones you have I would be keen to take them off your hands.

As for fitting them I have Googled and found some instructions (http://www.sv650.org/camten/cam%20chain%20tenstioner.htm). But if there is something I need to look out for please feel free to pass on to this novice :blink:.

FilthyLuka
3rd June 2008, 09:29
you could get some shiny anodized APE manual tensioners from the states, should be about a hundy USD before shipping.

Racer X
4th June 2008, 01:10
you could get some shiny anodized APE manual tensioners from the states, should be about a hundy USD before shipping.

I got mine for about $90 NZ to my door, check out haibikeshop.com - not SURE they have it but a good start..

svr
4th June 2008, 13:23
The bike has only done 6000 miles, and has just started this in the last 1000 miles, typically after the 5000mile service.

@Frosty : if you could find them and were willing to sell the 03+ ones you have I would be keen to take them off your hands.

As for fitting them I have Googled and found some instructions (http://www.sv650.org/camten/cam%20chain%20tenstioner.htm). But if there is something I need to look out for please feel free to pass on to this novice :blink:.

I've had no problems but apparantly they can back out under stress.
I've drawn a shop drawing to have the special tool made for refitting - I'll send it to you.

bluefishNZ
4th June 2008, 22:16
Thanks SVR for the drawing

Frosty, any luck in finding that set of 03s,
Anybody else got a set of 03 for sale ??

FROSTY
6th June 2008, 12:20
I had a hunt -cant find the darn things --Ill keep looking

bluefishNZ
15th July 2008, 13:48
Frosty any luck in your hunt for the tensioners ??

vifferman
15th July 2008, 13:55
If you're strapped for cash, there's probably info on the Interdweeb about how to convert the standard CCTs into manual ones.