27th May 2008, 20:45
Do reeds wear out?

Pumba
27th May 2008, 20:50
Yes

10 cha

nallac
27th May 2008, 20:58
yep they do they lose there springy ness.

Guided_monkey
27th May 2008, 21:09
As above... yes they do.

Loss of springiness..... poor sealing..... loss of compression (what there is on a 2 smoke). :rockon:

koba
27th May 2008, 21:11
Cheers, I should probably get some new ones then, Im guessing 50,000 kays may be a fair bit of wear and tear on them!
I have noticed a massive differences between the different RG150s I have ridden latley and was thinking reesmay be a part of it, they even SOUND diferent at idle, the fresher bikes have a more defined "snap" to them I think...

TygerTung
27th May 2008, 22:29
Sometimes they can break and go through the engine.

Bad if they're steel ones, not so bad if they're fibreglass/carbon fibre ones.

F5 Dave
28th May 2008, 17:29
oh yeah while we are about it, the H100 uses steel yam reeds from RD/DT etc. They are steel & need to be inspected every so often. You can tell when they are getting worn as they look brinneled.

They wear faster as doing more work/revs than std. Std steel reeds hardly ever break in RZs etc. Have found in tests that the steel ones worked best in the H for it's tune. Interestingly my RZ was best on steels despite having bought fibre ones & borrowed some Boysens. That's the key though, testing them for the particular bike.

With worn std fibre reeds I assume in your RG I'd expect you may lose a hp or so, but that would be it if there is no visible damage.

quallman1234
30th May 2008, 18:05
Cheers, I should probably get some new ones then, Im guessing 50,000 kays may be a fair bit of wear and tear on them!
I have noticed a massive differences between the different RG150s I have ridden latley and was thinking reesmay be a part of it, they even SOUND diferent at idle, the fresher bikes have a more defined "snap" to them I think...

Is your race RG laking power?

Sketchy_Racer
30th May 2008, 19:08
Is your race RG laking power?

If your answer is YES, Then buy mine! At a mint price $499.99

(plus on road costs -$1000)

koba
30th May 2008, 19:52
The RG isn't really lacking power as far as I can tell, haven't really given it curry since the rebuild yet.

It was just a thought I had while daydreaming: "do reeds wear out?" I don't know alot about twostokes so wasn't sure.
I did check the RG ones before I put them back in for visible damage, they seemed fine.
I might get some new ones just to see what, if any, difference it will make, one day, if I can be bothered.

Cheers again Dave, I will be sure to keep an eye on the ones in the H100.

ajturbo
30th May 2008, 20:12
Do reeds wear out?
only if you let luke blow up your engine... he KNOCKS them out.. from the inside!!!

FruitLooPs
31st May 2008, 10:51
Well my RG just yesterday ticked over 60,000km and seems to be going mint as ever on what afaik is the original reeds. :) Oh Oysters custom p/valves seem to last too :devil2: Bloody zook OEM spensive rubbish! :pinch: