PDA

View Full Version : Sup guys and girls.

Squid69
4th June 2008, 15:28
Joined this site today. I have been watching for a while.:bleh:
Going to get a bike soon. Probably a 400 sports sort.
When i do ill join the club.
Do you guys have Regular Rides or is the Friday night chiller the only regular thing?
Is it happening this week or will everyone be already toasted because of the end of semester?
Look foward to meeting some of you.

PirateJafa
4th June 2008, 16:29

Not planning on being insured then?

PirateEdit: Oh and welcome lol!

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 16:33
I'd have to admit that the Friday night chiller is the only regular thing, oh that and Dushi bashing :shutup:

I'll be there this week for sure!

How much are you looking to spend on a 400? You definitely don't wanna start on a 250? Cause you know you wont have insurance and all that...

rie
4th June 2008, 16:33
"bike: 1986 pink bits"

classic. you should definitely get into the club with one of those.

EJK
4th June 2008, 16:36
If you want a ride, anyone can organise a ride.

Squid69
4th June 2008, 16:44
I'd have to admit that the Friday night chiller is the only regular thing, oh that and Dushi bashing :shutup:

I'll be there this week for sure!

How much are you looking to spend on a 400? You definitely don't wanna start on a 250? Cause you know you wont have insurance and all that...

im already nearly at my restricted phase, having got my licence the week i decided to get a bike. should actually have it by the time i get one.
not planning on needing insurance.

Dushi bashing? what is that lol, sounds like fun.

HungusMaximist
4th June 2008, 16:46

Trust me, you'll be needing insurance.

Dushi, he's our SMC club, resident conversational starter... :msn-wink:

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 16:47
Yep, I'm heading to Karaka from town tonight about 9pm, who wants to come for the ride? Will be full of long, long sweeping corners and straights with 3 lanes for personal use. Until we hit some awesome Karakian road works and from then it'll be long, long sweeping corners with pitch black open road riding, as you look straight ahead you will now see a cow in the middle of the road, this is a good time to swerve. Also take note of the gravel on a tight corner that covers the entire road, where the workers went for a smoko and never came back.

Anyone keen?... Anyone?

God I'm bored at Uni, trying to read pages and pages of Institutional Reform in China on a computer screen

EJK
4th June 2008, 16:50
im already nearly at my restricted phase, having got my licence the week i decided to get a bike. should actually have it by the time i get one.

Who was that other Korean dude? He had a CBR and said "Nah no need insurance" etc...
A week later he rammed behind a car. Later that week, the bike went up on Trademe. Poor bugger.... and I never saw him on the Forum again :crazy:

P.S. You don't wanna mess with Dushy :lol:

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 16:50

On a restricted licence, you are still restricted to a 250. What happens when you slip in the wet and hit that Merc?

:pinch: Anyway I can't say much lol seeing as I do the same thing when pillioning someone :pinch:

So... :apint: Have a beer lol.

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 16:52
I know the one you mean EJ... David is his name maybe? Yeah and that wasn't even his fault! So that was like 4 grand down the drain... Gutted...

Whynot

why limit yourself to a 400?
if you arn't going to ride a 250 you might as well get something that has a bit of pace about it ....

EJK
I know the one you mean EJ... David is his name maybe? Yeah and that wasn't even his fault! So that was like 4 grand down the drain... Gutted...

Yeah.... That was like... Pwned.... :pinch:

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 16:57
if you arn't going to ride a 250 you might as well get something that has a bit of pace about it ....

Because then instead of a crash resulting in having to pay out lots of dinero, there's a higher chance of a crash resulting in family having to pay out lots at the funeral.

Squid69
4th June 2008, 16:59
Definatly a beer.
I know what you mean about studying... Some reason it drove me to sign up on here:bash:
We will see how the 400 idea goes, 250s seem to require ringing out to go anywhere and the cbr250 i rode at red baron actually hurt my ears:crybaby:

Squid69
4th June 2008, 17:03

Well my main reason for a 400 over a 250 is that i i dont have $5000 to spend.
better to spend $3000 on the bike and a couple of fines(say 2x400? =$3800) and a bike that can be used on the track, and that actually hase somthing resembling bottom end power.

edit, i wouldn't tick up a 600 without insurance, that sounds like trouble, even to me!

EJK
4th June 2008, 17:04
So you'll buy a 400?

:corn:
I'm going to watch this lol

Whynot
4th June 2008, 17:08
Because then instead of a crash resulting in having to pay out lots of dinero, there's a higher chance of a crash resulting in family having to pay out lots at the funeral.

yay, another member of the "if you are young and ride a bike with any power at all you will automatically die" club.

people die on 250s too ....

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 17:12
yay, another member of the "if you are young and ride a bike with any power at all you will automatically die" club.

people die on 250s too ....

I said the chance of death is higher if you are inexperienced and own a larger bike... Do you not agree with this?

Where in my statement did I mention anything about age?

Squid69
4th June 2008, 17:14
So you'll buy a 400?

I'm going to watch this lol

lets see.
$3000 vs $10,000

now theres a small difference.

EJK
4th June 2008, 17:14
I said the chance of death is higher if you are inexperienced and own a larger bike... Do you not agree with this?

I agree don't worry lol

Besides, there are lots of American youtube videos to proove this (not deaths but bins)

lets see.
$3000 vs $10,000

My FXR was $1800 ;)
and wtf kind of a 250 costs $10,000?? Aprilia RS125s?

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 17:17
lets see.
$3000 vs $10,000

Well my CBR was $2,700... There are a lot of nice looking sporty 250s out there around the 3 grand mark. At least a 400 is still forgiving compared to the big bikes, it just comes down to if you ride safely or stupidly.

Whynot
4th June 2008, 17:17

it depends on the bike, some larger bikes handle better than 250s and
don't necessarily have enough power to get the rider into trouble.

EJK
4th June 2008, 17:19
Well my CBR was $2,700... There are a lot of nice looking sporty 250s out there around the 3 grand mark. At least a 400 is still forgiving compared to the big bikes, it just comes down to if you ride safely or stupidly.

Besides it's Winter ;)
Bikes are much cheaper :banana:

Squid69
4th June 2008, 17:21
Besides it's Winter ;)
Bikes are much cheaper :banana:

that was for the guy who said i should get a 600/thou

EJK
4th June 2008, 17:22
zomg who the fuck said you should get a 600 or a thou? (nvm)

Please don't tell me you are a Korean...

...Are you??

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 17:23
it depends on the bike, some larger bikes handle better than 250s and
don't necessarily have enough power to get the rider into trouble.

Well seeing as this guy is after a sports bike... Then I thought I would be safe to assume that if he follows your suggestions, it WOULD have enough power to get the rider into trouble.

EJK
4th June 2008, 17:25
Well seeing as this guy is after a sports bike... Then I thought I would be safe to assume that if he follows your suggestions, it WOULD have enough power to get the rider into trouble.

C'mon both of you lol There are enough threads about this! lol Not in here :Playnice:

:cool:

Whynot
4th June 2008, 17:29

It was more a matter of interest than a suggestion, but honestly i don't care what he rides if he thinks he can handle it.
I get sick of people on here telling other people what they can and can't ride.
If he chooses to not stick to the 250 law then he can ride whatever he likes.

:whocares:

EJK
4th June 2008, 17:31
Yes, thats why I said "I'm gonna watch this!" :lol:

I've got some more popcorn, want some anyone? lol

shingo
4th June 2008, 18:18
Damn Rob, you must be bored, starting arguments as usual.

I'll take some EJ, the threads just starting to get interesting.

I'm liking the tags too, bling deserved by whoever made them.

Chrislost
4th June 2008, 18:45
did not take long for you guys to try and convince him he was wrong.

by the way, i started with 400s and crashed the shit outa them.
in the end it worked out about as expensive asa 250 so your not far wrong.

klyong82
4th June 2008, 18:54
400cc?? Darn I was gonna try to sell you my 929 and it is perfect on the track....by the way welcome to the club ...get a 1988-89 cbr400....good bikes

rat biker 08
4th June 2008, 19:19
Can have some popcorn . Let him get a 400 if the cops get him he wont have it for long .Not with fines and shit .:(

BANZAI
4th June 2008, 21:12
Get Goldwing and you'll never die, and you won't get overtaken on track as well!!! :done:

:lol::wari::banana::jerry::Pokey::apint::lol:

Why don't you get 2stroke 250cc? Get RG bin it 5times a week and you can be friend with someone... hehehee :p

PirateJafa
4th June 2008, 21:35
Why don't you get 2stroke 250cc? Get RG bin it 5times a week and you can be friend with someone... hehehee :p

Oh god of everyone ragging Dushy on the site you should probably be the last Banzai. :P

Oh and a RG is 150cc. ;)

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 21:50
Damn Rob, you must be bored, starting arguments as usual.

I'll take some EJ, the threads just starting to get interesting.

I'm liking the tags too, bling deserved by whoever made them.

Haha I was at Uni, had been studying for 22mins before I gave up and watched some motogp on my ipod!!! Then some asian girlies decided the library was for catch up times and began making heaps of noise, so I jumped on KB to argue :devil2:.

Oh yeah, and decided to add a tag too :niceone:, haha wondered if anyone would notice it!

ital916
4th June 2008, 22:12
It was more a matter of interest than a suggestion, but honestly i don't care what he rides if he thinks he can handle it.

CHILDREN! You all better settle down or i'll be sending you to the naughty WALL....and by sending you there, I mean head first into it. Now all you behave nicely. :calm::beer:.

I think robs argument has a logical side to it, and so does yours Whynot. But Seeing as *im assuming* this new guy *hi by the way, welcome to the two wheeled world :2thumbsup* does not have any riding experience jumping on a large capacity sports bike *I believe thats what you want??* might not be a good idea.

Take into consideration not only yourself but others on the road, we SHARE it, we do NOT own it. Riding a 250 allows one to learn valuable riding experience on a machine that will not punish them as hard * a 250cc 2 stroke/4 stroke..heck even a 150cc 2 stroke will still punish you haha* whilst still being insurable. This means if you do fuck up and hit someone they are covered and you don't need to fork out shitloads. Or if you are hit you are covered.

A lesson that might be learnt the hard way in this case is *from what I've heard..as I try stick to my licence conditions* that cc's do not always make motorcycling *for some people it does*.

If you've got a real hard on for a larger cc bike, keep it to the track or get an exemption. Further discussion will be done at the chiller if wanted. Now chillll dudes.

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 22:38
CHILDREN! You all better settle down or i'll be sending you to the naughty WALL....and by sending you there, I mean head first into it. Now all you behave nicely. :calm::beer:.

I think robs argument has a logical side to it, and so does yours Whynot. But Seeing as *im assuming* this new guy *hi by the way, welcome to the two wheeled world :2thumbsup* does not have any riding experience jumping on a large capacity sports bike *I believe thats what you want??* might not be a good idea.

Take into consideration not only yourself but others on the road, we SHARE it, we do NOT own it. Riding a 250 allows one to learn valuable riding experience on a machine that will not punish them as hard * a 250cc 2 stroke/4 stroke..heck even a 150cc 2 stroke will still punish you haha* whilst still being insurable. This means if you do fuck up and hit someone they are covered and you don't need to fork out shitloads. Or if you are hit you are covered.

A lesson that might be learnt the hard way in this case is *from what I've heard..as I try stick to my licence conditions* that cc's do not always make motorcycling *for some people it does*.

If you've got a real hard on for a larger cc bike, keep it to the track or get an exemption. Further discussion will be done at the chiller if wanted. Now chillll dudes.

Oh shit! I'll take the full-face helmet and Whynot can have the open-faced! :wari:

:chase:

Yeah good post Dushi... Explaining the saying "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow" :2thumbsup

Especially when you're learning and all. Just in terms of insurance, think about it, one crash and you will have to pay for EVERYTHING. So get a $3000 400, crash it, and that's $3000 gone...If it's a write off.

Not to mention how much you'd also need to pay out if any other cars are involved, even if it's their fault, you are breaking the law in the first place so it'd be a hard case to win!

Whatever bike you get though, we'll all help you with tips and help with the mechanics and go for rides and whatever :2thumbsup... Oh and drink beer :beer:

Chrislost
4th June 2008, 23:17
If you've got a real hard on for a larger cc bike, keep it to the track.

ooooooooooooooo yeah im off to buy a CBR1000

so when are you coming to the track ladies and gentlemen?
i ave a lil wee 400 that wants to play with youuu...

Ragingrob
4th June 2008, 23:24

Would love to :eek:

Chrislost
4th June 2008, 23:28
Theres a trackday in july.

that makes me cold thinking about it tho.

shingo
4th June 2008, 23:30

You going to let us ride your bike? That's awfully nice of you.

Ryan432
4th June 2008, 23:37
I reckon if you've come from dirt riding of some sort then rock the 400 if you are willing to risk the insurance, thats up to you, and you probably have to skill/control to ride it. If you have never done any riding of any sort before I would definitly reccomend a 250, there are plenty of 250's out there you can have fun on, the VTR's and the hornets if you want a bit more go are truckloads of fun to ride!!! You can choose to ignore all the advice the more experience riders on this board have given you if you want but be warned, if you hit someone in an audi, they will shrug and get their insurance companies to take every cent you have, If you hit me or someone else who happens to love their bike, in the words of the great Jim Carrey " I will hunt you done, and gut you like a fish!!"

Ignore me I'm a rambling alcho but I do make some good points occasionally, welcome to KB! :thumbsup:

I just recently joined the uni bike club too! Good Times!

Chrislost
4th June 2008, 23:38
You going to let us ride your bike? That's awfully nice of you.

fuck off.
use your own. unless you want to make the thing run on 4 cylinders again. then use it as much as you want

shingo
5th June 2008, 00:16
fuck off.
use your own. unless you want to make the thing run on 4 cylinders again. then use it as much as you want

I'm up for that, I like a bit of a challenge.

motorbyclist
5th June 2008, 00:27
When i do ill join the club.
Do you guys have Regular Rides or is the Friday night chiller the only regular thing?
Is it happening this week or will everyone be already toasted because of the end of semester?
Look foward to meeting some of you.

we used to have fortnightly rides but with exams on/winter it doesn't really happen - got a coro loop coming up first weekend of july

beers on friday is always good though

as for riding uninsured, looking for a 400 i assume you aren't a newbie to riding nor a veteran, but are a newbie to road riding - just save the hassle and get an RS250, which is just as fast as a vfr400r (NC30) and still legal.

what you have to realise is that on the road it isn't your riding that's the issue, it's that idiot in his cage making a blind turn who then drives off, gives false details, or simply won't pay up.

just today at work riding scooters i nearly rear-ended a brand new car after they cut me off and stopped to let traffic make a right hand turn - had he not moved forward a metre at the sound of my horn I would've been at fault for rear ending him, despite his cutting infront of me and then slamming his brakes. (i can give so many stories of close calls caused by idiots in cars it isn't funny - it's not a matter of if you crash but when and why)

if you assume you won't crash, you're going to be fucked when you do, and not many riders make it their first 12 months on the road without an accident - and often it is in no way their fault but they still get screwed for it.

even this week yet another SMC rider was in an accident where their being uninsured has left them with only a twisted FXR and some scrapes/bruises to show for their investment

my old fxr had a similar fate

plus several more

than there was david who started on a gsxr600 as his first bike, moved down to a mint cbr250rrrrr, didn't insure it, and then had it written off by a blind cager - last time i talked to him (he's in strata most fridays you knobs) he was complaining about how much the bus and petrol for his car costs and trying to save up for another bike

so you can probably see why the club regulars are so pro-insurance

but of course it's your money, buy what you want, we'll disapprove, some random KB member will turn up saying we're all nazis and assuming we're assuming things, things will degenerate, rob will have to carefully explain why the random member is an idiot for saying what he said about the club, and i'll have to make a 5 post saga on the logical argument in favour of buying the 250, and then the thread will be locked.

motorbyclist
5th June 2008, 00:28
fuck off.

how many is it running on now?

Chrislost
5th June 2008, 00:32
not enough.

think its about 330cc at the moment.

motorbyclist
5th June 2008, 00:54
bah it can't be that hard to fix
all the plugs sparking?
fuel to all cylinders? (all vacuum hoses still connected?)
didn't make a valve-seizing/bending/dropping noise when the cylinder died?
has that clunky "imma gonna blow up unless you put whatever is loose back into place" noise gotten any worse?

not much else to concieveably go wrong

2wheeljunkie
5th June 2008, 01:36
welcome to the club mate...i know my 2 cents doesnt mean jack shit but i wud get an insured bike (meaning a 250 max)..not because you cant handle a 400..your proly more than capable..i wudnt know but it wud suck to have to fork out so much cash..either way i believe its one's choice and i hope you enjoy your motorcycling experience either option you choose..welcome.!:rockon:

Squiggles
5th June 2008, 02:50
id say if you're going to ride a 400, apply for an exemption based on size or something. You could end up being legal to ride it

Welcome though, ill expect my dollar when you do get a bike ;) :lol:

BANZAI
5th June 2008, 08:11
STATE insurance is cheap as. It's only cost me $10/mth. Maybe because I have Full car licence but haven't crashed for 5years (haven't been driving on road for 5yrs actually :p) Excess is somewhere 700 coz of my age and licence but if you are tight on budget just get insurance from here.

Some of under 250cc bikes you can get.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/categoryattributesearchresults.aspx?search=1&mcat=0001-0026-1255-&sidebar=1&39=Sports&40=&153=&9=0%2C250&24=0%2C0&51=0%2C0&x=38&y=17&sort_order=price_asc

RC1
5th June 2008, 08:21
STATE insurance is cheap as. It's only cost me $10/mth.

my TLS only cost me $410 for cover $9K but thats with classic cover for over 30s, state quoted me well over $1100 for same cover , crap IMHO

Ragingrob
5th June 2008, 10:14
Hahahahahaha Andrew you cracked me up with that last bit!

Squid : So do you have any motorbike experience off-road or anything?

Kyle : I heard you sold ya bike! What're you looking at getting? :drool:

State : Yeah I'm with state too, seemed to be the cheapest I got quoted at.

Stephen : Forget about the sparkies on Sunday, bike starts up first time easy as, no idea what happened the other day ay! But... I was thinking of changing the coolant to see if it stops overheating so quickly... Keen? :lol:

Hanne
5th June 2008, 10:30
Stephen : Forget about the sparkies on Sunday, bike starts up first time easy as, no idea what happened the other day ay! But... I was thinking of changing the coolant to see if it stops overheating so quickly... Keen? :lol:

Were you coming sat or sun? Sophie and I were going to go out for some practice while you guys tinkered. And maybe one of my other frinds too who wants to get her licence before she goes to oz :banana:

Ragingrob
5th June 2008, 10:37
Were you coming sat or sun? Sophie and I were going to go out for some practice while you guys tinkered. And maybe one of my other frinds too who wants to get her licence before she goes to oz :banana:

Was planning on Sunday just after midday sometime I think :), oh yeah that'll be good fun Soph will love it :clap:

Hopefully the weather holds out for it otherwise we wont bother lol :argh:

Edit : Oh and did you enjoy the feijoas?

Hanne
5th June 2008, 10:47
Awesome! See you then. Yeah, thanks for the feijoas, they were delicious! Man now you reminded me of them I am hungry for more *mmm droool*

Yeah, I agree with Squiggles about the exemption bit, you might as well try for it and then be able to have insurance etc etc (they can only say no.)
PS RGV250/ RS250 = fast (when the new regualtions come in they are going to exclude 2 stroke 2 fiddies from the learner listbecause of their p2w and GO)

Squid69
5th June 2008, 13:38
id say if you're going to ride a 400, apply for an exemption based on size or something. You could end up being legal to ride it

Welcome though, ill expect my dollar when you do get a bike ;) :lol:

How do you get exemptions?
I booked my R today for after exams:wari:
What do you have to do in the test?

TOTO
5th June 2008, 18:25

Strongly recommend insurance dude. I wasn't planning on needing it but happy I had it last week. Already getting a new bike tomorrow thanks to the insurance. So insurance is strongly recommended.

ehab2weelr
5th June 2008, 20:51

hay bud, just like to say we here at smc only give advice, we do not ever tell people what and what not to do as its there own personal choice, if some one feels guilty from the advice then they know there doing something their not comfortable with and should take that advice or otherwise .this is a public forum and people can post what ever they feel like.
no need to get caught up at somthing as pointless as giving advice and what not....

and Squid69 i welcome you to the great world of two wheels, this type of thing is normal. i know a number of guys who have stared on 400s and are still sweet and never had problems with the law, but then again i also know many people who had been through so much shit and insurance got them out, its your choice bud...just how lucky do you think you are....:niceone:

bomma
5th June 2008, 21:49
What do you have to do in the test?

welcome, sir, to the most gentlemanly of biking clubs. i believe the answer to your question is "pass", very simple. When i did my test (a little over a year ago now) the tester gave me instructions, before we started, about the route i was to take. he then got his fat ass in a car and followed me. a few turns and stops and about 7 mins later we were back at the aa and i got my temp licence issued.

imho i don't know how people manage to fail these tests. points that i can remember thinking about while sitting the test:

1) Speed: the tester travelled a maximum of 50 kph so i just made sure he was in my rear view mirror and that i never got away from him

2) Stopping: flashed my brakes early to indicate that i was slowing down and possibly stopping. When approaching the stop area, went to first gear, stuck my left foot out WHILE braking and when i was stopped i held down the back brake with my left foot out on the road.

3) Indicating: duh, doesnt take a genius to realise how to use the indicator.....

4) oh and make sure that before you go there your bike is road legal coz there's no point going there with a busted indicator or an expired wof and being sent home at your expense!!!

BANZAI
5th June 2008, 22:00
welcome, sir, to the most gentlemanly of biking clubs. i believe the answer to your question is "pass", very simple. When i did my test (a little over a year ago now) the tester gave me instructions, before we started, about the route i was to take. he then got his fat ass in a car and followed me. a few turns and stops and about 7 mins later we were back at the aa and i got my temp licence issued.

imho i don't know how people manage to fail these tests. points that i can remember thinking about while sitting the test:

1) Speed: the tester travelled a maximum of 50 kph so i just made sure he was in my rear view mirror and that i never got away from him

2) Stopping: flashed my brakes early to indicate that i was slowing down and possibly stopping. When approaching the stop area, went to first gear, stuck my left foot out WHILE braking and when i was stopped i held down the back brake with my left foot out on the road.

3) Indicating: duh, doesnt take a genius to realise how to use the indicator.....

4) oh and make sure that before you go there your bike is road legal coz there's no point going there with a busted indicator or an expired wof and being sent home at your expense!!!

What happens when you bring 400cc bike there??? FAIL??

BANZAI
5th June 2008, 22:01
WTF? Double post.... Soz

bomma
5th June 2008, 22:06
^ echoechoecho lol if you're gonna take a 400 to sit your restricted, may as well gimme the money that itll cost to book the restricted and ill buy my friend her 21st present that i forgot to buy for her last year.....

BANZAI
5th June 2008, 22:11
^ echoechoecho lol if you're gonna take a 400 to sit your restricted, may as well gimme the money that itll cost to book the restricted and ill buy my friend her 21st present that i forgot to buy for her last year.....

Hahaha howbout to get the full-licence? I assume the same?

So there you go Squid, better stay with 250cc :done:

PirateJafa
6th June 2008, 05:49
Or you could just borrow a 250cc for the test...

McDuck
6th June 2008, 07:58
As the owner of a early 90s 400 he would be fine as long as he has a brain.

Macstar
6th June 2008, 23:19
I had a 400cc and a 450cc on my learners and proceeded to get a 1000cc two months or so into my restricted. Never got pulled over, but never did anything back then to attract the Police.

As the man says, a brain should keep you out of trouble or at least an overarching healthy fear and respect for your bike.

2wheeljunkie
7th June 2008, 22:35
I had a 400cc and a 450cc on my learners and proceeded to get a 1000cc two months or so into my restricted. Never got pulled over, but never did anything back then to attract the Police.

until now..:banana:

Macstar
7th June 2008, 23:48
until now..:banana:

Left myself open for that one...

2wheeljunkie
8th June 2008, 00:04
Left myself open for that one...

yea u kinda did..i saw a mouse trapped waiting to be snapped shut ...:done: