PDA

View Full Version : DR650 Clonkie gear change, or is it me!

simonantz
5th June 2008, 16:37
New bike with about 900km .Is it normal for the gear changes to sound a bit clonkie, I been gone from bikes for some time...but was kind of thinking they may have got a bit smoother in the last 25 years... or perhaps its me.as long as its not my gears im happy...any ideas...thanks

F5 Dave
5th June 2008, 17:21
the DR engine design is probably that old anyway:yes:

But it depends. First thing to check is presumably it is been oil changed for a proper oil & then check chain tension & cushdrive in rear wheel. If there was excessive play at the sprocket maybe it was assembled incorrectly from new.

Check chain tension (most likley) is ok but check while sitting on bike so not over tightened if changes when compressed as some bikes do.

Having said this singles are more snatchy than multis.

TLDV8
5th June 2008, 19:42
New bike with about 900km .Is it normal for the gear changes to sound a bit clonkie, I been gone from bikes for some time...but was kind of thinking they may have got a bit smoother in the last 25 years... or perhaps its me.as long as its not my gears im happy...any ideas...thanks

I am over 3000kms now and the gearbox is still like a truck :laugh: maybe it will get smoother but have doubt's.
Fresh oil,no problems with the clutch and crash when it goes into first gear.
Even on the move and pulling the clutch fully in then doing a shift gives a loud click. (Clutchless shifts seem to be the same)
The down shift can be smooth if the revs are balanced just right but the upshift has got me beat.
It has been like that from new on this DR.
It is the most clunky gearbox on any Japanese bike i have aver owned. :confused:
I guess as long as it keeps going no worries but it has to be giving the engagement dogs and windows a hard time ?

(This is my first 4 stroke single)

simonantz
5th June 2008, 22:48
Thanks for that chain advice Dave.......And kiwi in oz , that sounds the same as mine for sure , i have always had that in first gear, but not going into say third. Could well be a DR thing...which is not bad news i guess.

FROSTY
6th June 2008, 12:16
Before giving up I'd suggest changing your oil to Motul 300v
Im not saying it will fix the problem but in my experience it makes for smoother changes

Crisis management
6th June 2008, 12:26
The DR is a bit agricultural and the gearbox is probably the most agricultural (maybe after the seat, suspension and starter drive?) but is remakably robust.
Keep the oil level slightly higher then the max line on the sight glass and use good oil, other than that, just keep kicking it into gear and it will go forever.

Send me a PM if you want to compare notes, I'm in Hillsborough.

Tony.OK
14th June 2008, 08:58
Another oil suggestion would be Spectro Gold,I changed to that on my VTR1000 because of shitty gearbox.Made a huge difference;)

NordieBoy
14th June 2008, 11:06
The DR is a bit agricultural and the gearbox is probably the most agricultural (maybe after the seat, suspension and starter drive?) but is remakably robust.
Keep the oil level slightly higher then the max line on the sight glass and use good oil, other than that, just keep kicking it into gear and it will go forever.

Send me a PM if you want to compare notes, I'm in Hillsborough.

Oil over the top of the sight line and a fibre base gasket = leak.

I'm using some Total mineral stuff.