PDA

View Full Version : Going watercooled

dirtybomb
6th June 2008, 14:16
Ok, so Ive decided to go watercooled with a b1.

I will be looking at chinese, are there better frames than others? (like daytona 1,2 or 3)

Is the build quality much the same as the aircooled bikes, and what are common watercooled faults?

Looking foward to that extra 2.5kw!

Any help apreciated.

daytona 2
6th June 2008, 19:05
finally.....:wari: basically depending one what model you want there are different frames the b1 has it standard frame then you caa get the sco bansee for about the same price.....but you dont allways have to chinese...normanly it cost less to buy second hand euro bike than buying a dodgy chinese biike...depends on who made the chinese bike...if you have $1200 to spend it i would buy jonhs grc 4.2 of trade-me which will be a fast reliable fun race bike, i mean ive finished all 5 of the races ive ever done with my polini and ive never had to fix a thing on it. all up to you dirtybomb but ask most people watercooled chinese pocket bike s can be more unreliable then the air colled ones......{apart from alans...thats pretty reliable;)}

BigAl
6th June 2008, 20:40
Hey thanks Max!

The B1/B2 engines aren't too bad, it's usually the frames and brakes on the chinese copies that can be a bit suspect and need a bit of setting up. Also they come standard with too low gearing. All said they are heaps of fun when going, you won't believe the difference if you've only been riding air cooled.

If you're in Auckland come along to Mt Wellington on the 14th and I'll give you a ride on my B1, also sometimes there is a guy selling them and you may be able to demo one.

Hope this helps.

Aero165
6th June 2008, 22:24
D-bomb! About fooking time! If you're ever passing through Taupo give me a text and I'll show you my bikes and give you a few hints:niceone::msn-wink:

CookMySock
7th June 2008, 07:54
Watching with interest.. My kids have their own money and are ready to purchase.

MY issues are, both bikes mechanically identical, price, watercooled, parts availablility.

I see there are a couple of traders in the TM pitbikes section selling the 39cc watercooled bikes. Pretty much we will be dealing with one of them long-term - any suggestion which trader and/or bike might be a better bet ?

Many thanks,
Steve

dirtybomb
7th June 2008, 15:40
noticed this for sale...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=157416681

Looks good for 300 buckaroonies.

Any advantages with 'Banchee' over B1? or much the same?

Daytona 2, $1200 is still over double the price of a brand new chinese watercooled bike.. I would if I didnt have an RC Helicopter, airplane etc etc.

If someones got a euro bike theyl sell me for under $500 then I'm in!

And yes Aaron, I know you told me so!

daytona 2
7th June 2008, 17:40
..i was thinking of selling my polini..im kinda getting into dirt biking now at i go out to woodhill forest every weekend with my suzuki...i would sell it to you cheap dirty bomb but im not realyy wanting to lose $2500 in 5 months..!! plus im not going to give up minimoto now when im starting to beat 3M man...:devil2:

if you was in ur situation i would buy that banshee there basicaly a daytona 1 with a watercooled 4.5hp engine in it...which is a copy of the old blata elite 13wrs hope you get one by this race day...:niceone:

daytona 2
7th June 2008, 17:43
Watching with interest.. My kids have their own money and are ready to purchase.

MY issues are, both bikes mechanically identical, price, watercooled, parts availablility.

I see there are a couple of traders in the TM pitbikes section selling the 39cc watercooled bikes. Pretty much we will be dealing with one of them long-term - any suggestion which trader and/or bike might be a better bet ?

Many thanks,
Steve

denpends on how much $$$ you haVE if you have $1200 i would go for a euro..but its better to start oj a daytona...

BigAl
7th June 2008, 18:24
Hey Dirty Bomb,

Banshee's have the same motor as the B1's, just the running gear is more light weight, as Daytona2 said (D1 type).

That one looks ok for $300, but you'd want to check the brakes, wheels and test ride it.
Check the gearing as most common for racing is 7/68. A lot come with a 6 up front so pull too higher revs.

If you can get to Mt Wellington next Sat 14th, there will be a guy selling new B1's for <$400 (Note to DangerousBastard as well).

cheers

CookMySock
7th June 2008, 19:13
Thanks BigAl,

Can you give me a wises location link for the mt wellington on the 14th ? Go to http://wises.co.nz

Selling ones the same as this ? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=158964844

or a genuine Blata B1 ?

I'm really confused on what exactly is which.

DB

BigAl
7th June 2008, 20:27
Hey DB, no the B1 is like this, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=159109653
they are all chinese as an italian Blata B1 would cost thousands.

For Mt Wellington directions go to www.nzmmrc.co.nz you don't need to login,
click on the maps link at the top of page.

dirtybomb
7th June 2008, 21:30
Bigal, do you have the contact details for the guy selling b1's for $400?

hopefully I can get one before Saturday..

Cheers!

CookMySock
7th June 2008, 21:41
Hey DB, no the B1 is like this, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=159109653
they are all chinese as an italian Blata B1 would cost thousands.

For Mt Wellington directions go to www.nzmmrc.co.nz you don't need to login,
click on the maps link at the top of page.Many thanks BigAl. Well that will save me 80 bucks coming up to mt welly, and pay for my gas for the trip. (trademe reserve for those bikes is $440.)

How to re-gear these properly ? Change both sprockets ? Just the front one ?

Looks like we'll come up sat 14. How do I check he is actually going to be there to get a pair of bikes of him? Don't wanna blow a tank of gas and he aint there.. :whistle:

Will two of these fit in the boot of a small car ? Don't wanna haul the hilux all the way there if we don't need to.

DB

BigAl
7th June 2008, 22:34
Hey Dirty Bomb & DB email me on top_kiwi@hotmail.com and I'll give send you my Auckland contacts email address.

You only need to change the front to a 7tooth.

CookMySock
8th June 2008, 09:06
You only need to change the front to a 7tooth.and the same chain still fits etc etc ?

Kewl, time to set up a nice red race steel toolbox, with ratchet ringspanners, and a mini torquewrench ! whee! Ooh, stickers on it too !

DB

dirtybomb
8th June 2008, 13:17
Are the sprokets the same as daytona sprokets?

Is there someone who keeps stock of them in Auckland?

BigAl
8th June 2008, 15:00
Hi DirtyBomb, the B1's usually run the same chain as the Daytonas so as long as mounting holes line up on rear they are interchangeable.
The front pinion are if you have the threaded type, there is also a circlip type.

http://newmanz.co.nz/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_37
may have them in Auckland.
Greg generally has them http://www.xminimoto.co.nz/
Dynamic2006 on 09 6266398 should have them as well.

Hope this helps.

dirtybomb
8th June 2008, 15:17
Thanks mate,

I'm probably going to buy the Banchee on trademe, as I road a daytona 1 last time at the track, and realy thought it handled well. (they are a similar frame?)

Will this top out before the end of the mt welly straight without changing the front sproket?

Oh yeah, anyone want to sell leathers? Or just a jacket?

Cheers
Geoff.

daytona 2
8th June 2008, 15:25
yup there the same frame...so they handle pretty well....and yes ur going to need leathers with this kind of bike...hope the best for the weather

BigAl
8th June 2008, 21:06
Will this top out before the end of the mt welly straight without changing the front sproket?

I'd see what it is running DirtyBomb and give it a go first, even a 7/68 tops out down the straight but any higher and can be too slow out of corners.

TradeMe is a good source of second hand and new leathers, knee sliders are well recommended:msn-wink:

CookMySock
9th June 2008, 08:53
whats the politics on protective gear ? We are not going to be able to spend heaps on leathers etc etc so can we use tough clothing (jeans/jacket) plus knee/elbow/shin pads ?

DB

BigAl
9th June 2008, 09:52
Hey DB,

re Protective gear,
The basic gear for the track is; boots covering ankles, suggest something like high top basket ball boots(or similar) as you want flexibility, knee protectors over good jeans, leather jacket, gloves, helmet.
So you should be right with your gear.

There is always gear you can borrow on the day from other riders.
cheers

daaatomic
9th June 2008, 11:34
Hi all, I'm quite interested in getting into this too. But probably on an aircooled bike.(friend has one he doesnt need). Will try and come along on Saturday as well.

BigAl
9th June 2008, 12:29
Cool, the more riders the better for the sport.

Bring your mates as well, even if they just want to have a look.

Most riders start off with an air cooled daaatomic which are heaps of fun and eventually work up the hp ladder as time and $$ permit.

daaatomic
9th June 2008, 12:35
If only i could race my bike, a 50cc, watercooled, 8hp motard.

BigAl
9th June 2008, 13:00
There is motard racing on the 14th as well, they go out in separate sessions and the likes of Toby Summers usually rides. Albeit the're on 450 Yammies and KTMs.

Also scooter classes (Vespa style) and Buckets.

daaatomic
9th June 2008, 13:13
Cool, looks like I'll definatly be there then. What time does it kick off?

BigAl
9th June 2008, 13:54
9.30 until about 4pm

dirtybomb
9th June 2008, 13:55
Well, that Banchee sold before I could get my hands on it.

Looks like I'l get a new B1 instead.

Is dynamic2006 the guy that sells them for $400 on track days?

Newmans out of Banchees too damnit!

daytona 2
9th June 2008, 18:25
what are you doing with ur daytona db??

dirtybomb
9th June 2008, 18:40
I'm going to sell it, along with the 2 extra frames, motors, fairings and spares I have.

Hopefully I can get about $150 for the lot, my stainless exhaust alone was $120!

daaatomic
9th June 2008, 20:27
I'm going to sell it, along with the 2 extra frames, motors, fairings and spares I have.

Hopefully I can get about $150 for the lot, my stainless exhaust alone was $120!

I might be keen to talk to ya about that! Can we catch upon Saturday at the track?

dirtybomb
9th June 2008, 20:37
Yeah thats no problem, I'l be there with my new bike.. :banana:

If you want to come have a look, I'm located at the penrose end of Mt Wellington- about 10 minutes from the track.

Cheers,
Geoff.

BigAl
9th June 2008, 21:05
Yeah thats no problem, I'l be there with my new bike..

What did end up buying DB?

dirtybomb
10th June 2008, 09:06
Havnt bought it yet, just trying to twist Sid's arm so I can get it sooner rather than later this week.

He's sent me an attachment with all of the models etc, now I just need to meet him for pick up.

I'm going to get a B1.

daytona 2
10th June 2008, 18:11
man i cant wait to taKe out the polini on the track...i took it out last night and forgot about the massive powerband from the new pipe..and wheel standed it about 60cm high and crashed..:crazy::gob:lol only a small sctach on the pipe though .....

CookMySock
12th June 2008, 14:37
gak, I can't make it on saturday - have to do the family thing.

So if I get a pair of these I should be all good ?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=160030556&permanent=0

thanks,
Steve

BigAl
12th June 2008, 15:57
gak, I can't make it on saturday - have to do the family thing.

Bugger, priorities grasshopper...:shifty:

Re. trademe B1s. Yes they do the trick, engines are good, brakes need a bit if sorting to get them running free, they need re-gearing as most have a 6tooth pinion - replace with 7, throttles are pretty flimsy,foot pegs break after 5 mins - replace with Nylon rod. But the parts are cheap and readily available. How did you get on with Sids bikes, DB?

If you're in Edgecumbe they race once a month at the Kart track.

cheers

CookMySock
12th June 2008, 23:02
Re. trademe B1s. Yes they do the trick, engines are good, brakes need a bit if sorting to get them running free, they need re-gearing as most have a 6tooth pinion - replace with 7, throttles are pretty flimsy,foot pegs break after 5 mins - replace with Nylon rod. But the parts are cheap and readily available. How did you get on with Sids bikes, DB? Sids ?

Ok on the mods and fixes.

If you're in Edgecumbe they race once a month at the Kart track.Yes, this is looking like the go. Got to go and see them next, and then we are ready to buy.

DB

dirtybomb
13th June 2008, 13:37
Well, I ended up spending the extra money and gettng what I believe to be a GRC watercooled rep. or (MP—GP1 Comp R) according to the supplier.

The build quality looked better, and I seemed to fit much better on it than the b1.

Its probably going to scare the shit out of me when I first ride it as its ment to be quite a bit quicker than a b1.

Anyway, I bought a decent racing jacket also with shoulder armour etc so we'l see how it goes!

Would one tank of gas be sufficiant for run in?

BigAl
13th June 2008, 14:41
Yeah DB a tank full should be enough to run it in, just vary the throttle a bit.

If it is what I think it is it will have a 1/4 turn throttle so be ready for some wicked wheel stands if it has std gearing, great fun:lol:

Also really go over all nuts and bolts after the first couple of rides. Are you coming along tomorrow, if so I'll see you there.

daytona 2
13th June 2008, 16:34
good one dB grc reps are realy good value for monet and they make a daytona look like a asmatic-chain smoking snail...we'll have a pretty even race now dB...see u tommorow

CookMySock
13th June 2008, 16:54
some wicked wheel stands if it has std gearing, great fun:lol:Will these things powerstand ? :gasp:

DB

dirtybomb
13th June 2008, 18:27
Now It doesnt go!

Got it going pretty quickly, had a ride up the street- Jezus!

Anyway, all I did was leave the bike and come back to it half an hour later to try start it and.... nothing.

NGK sparkplug seems to have plenty of spark, but wont even fire with engine start. (tried in sparkplug hole, and straight into carb.)

I did notice the carb was leaking fuel, not heaps but consistantly.

What else should I look at?

daytona 2
13th June 2008, 18:47
damm that sucks....id give the carb a good look into..still come to racing tomorrow even if you cant start it..you can do a couple of races on my bike..

dirtybomb
13th June 2008, 19:20
Its ok, got it sorted.

Yep, was just shit on the float needle.

Cant wait to get it on the track.. Its mean!

Im off to Samoa next week for a holiday so I better not get hurt too bad...

BigAl
13th June 2008, 19:22
Will these things powerstand ? :gasp:

You betcha!:eek:

daytona 2
13th June 2008, 20:13
just about every minmoto apart from a daytona lol will powerstand..!! hope we get a good amount of people turning up tommorow whats happening with aaron???? iheard his bike blew up at taumarauni and set on fire:shit::shit::shit::shit::shit::shit::shit::shi t:

daaatomic
13th June 2008, 20:22
looks like i'll be seeing y'all after kids soccer tomorrow.hopefully about 10:30. no bike for me yet, but am keen to check it out and get a bike ready for next month.

CookMySock
13th June 2008, 20:34
just about every minmoto apart from a daytona lol will powerstand..!!hawt diggity!!

DB

grantman
13th June 2008, 22:28
Powerstand!

I think I will stay with Daytona until I get the hang of it

looking like a its going to be a good day

I can almost smell the 2 stroke now!

racefactory
15th June 2008, 19:00
hi where did you get your GRC rep from!?? Does it have the Polini rep 50cc engine or the Z1 engine in it?

Ive been looking all round for a GRC rep with polini engine and cant find any!! IT seems in NZ all they sell are the ones with Z1 engine. please say where you got it from!

Btw, the GRC rep is the real Banshee, and its how it is known to the rest of the world, the banshee 2 is the banshee with ZPF rep motor and not as good as the polini rep version.

I dont know why people call the blata elite 13 replica the ''banshee'' in NZ. I think its that newmanz just gave that name to his bikes which are elite 13 reps think.

Anyway man, nice bike congrats. As for b1, they are hell fast man you just need to change that f***** 14/14 dellporto rep carb not only does it run lean on throttle roll off but it is a MAJOR bottle necker for this bike its too small. My b1 has a ported engine, banshee 18.5mm carb (real banshee polini rep) ported and modified reed block, modded exhaust and adjusted squish for 0.5mm and this thing is a weapon it will cane a stock banshee man. Adjust your squish for a banshee that one mod will make it a weapon... oh and if you ever find yourself not able to start it or having difficulty starting when its warm, thats the coil thats the only crap part on a banshee....

cheers

Gadgit
16th June 2008, 21:07
I have two GRC reps but they are not Banshee's they are a copy of the GRC RSR chassis with a polini reverse copy engine in them...,I think this is the one people above are chatting about the Banchee is a copy of the GRC GP Racing and yes they do seam to now come with the ZPF copy engine it was only the very first imoprts that came in that had the series 2 polini copy engine.

racefactory
18th June 2008, 01:46
hey gadgit... yeah yeah sorry the GRCGP is the ''banshee''.

the series 2 polini rep is the best motor that ever came out of the chinese a** for sure.

well greg says polini reps are coming soon so thats going to change it seems.

Gadgit
18th June 2008, 19:14
If you want the series 2 copy engine it comes in the 911 dream bike rep I had one... but swaped it for one of the GRC RSR reps.. Brett from auckland has put the 911 rep engine into his banshee and has got it humming from what I have heard.

daytona 2
18th June 2008, 19:54
bretts bansee is more than humming...it thrashing 3M man at mt wellinton

xtreme
19th June 2008, 11:24
Hi All

Gadgit is quiet correct about the 911 engine , BUT the only thing
Series 2 about it is the engine casings , the barrell is 40cc the head
is different etc. The Banshee engine im reffering to is Series 2 polini rep
with it being 50cc which has obviously different barrell , head etc.
As i said in another post , all going well we may see some more true polini rep powered Banshee Sho bikes around.

Cheers Greg