PDA

View Full Version : GN250 - Lack of power when throttling

crazyv
7th June 2008, 10:04
Hi All,

I rode my bike (GN250 E 2006) this morning for about 15 minutes (50km/h) on my way back passed a traffic lights and was about to shift to gear 4 and noticed a sudden lack of power when throttling. I ended up limping home on 1st (luckily was near my house at the time!)

What I found out was that whenever I try to throttle (to go up gear) the bike refuses and the engine just sputters out and almost dies. So I cannot get into 2nd gear.

I put the bike on neutral and was able to slowly throttle till about 4000revs no problem. But if i were to throttle again, quicker this time, then engine would just sputter and die!

Engine oil was recently filled. No other work done. I recently purchased this bike 2nd hand.

Any ideas on what might be happening?

Cheers!

Katman
7th June 2008, 10:27
Could be water or dirt in the carb, or even a hole in the carb diaphragm (although unlikely being a 2006 model).

There is a drain screw at the bottom of the carb. Drain the fuel bowl and try again.

YAMASAKI
7th June 2008, 11:29
also check the fuel filter, it might be clogged, starving it of fuel when you rev it.
Otherwise the reason for the lack of power could be the two letters in front of the 250 :bleh: in which case the only cure would be to buy my zxr... :)

fridayflash
7th June 2008, 11:35
yea,sounds like a fuel starving prob, id say there could be a bit of shite
blocking the main jet,but if it has a fuel filter its probly unlikely:blank:

Filterer
7th June 2008, 11:44
Did you have the choke out?

tri boy
7th June 2008, 12:52
As Katman says. Turn fuel tap off, remove carb drain bolt, (base of carb), turn fuel on again, (put a rag or sm container under bowl to catch fuel).
If it flows steadily then delivery is ok. Refit bowl bolt. Possibly carb blockage/air filter blockage/tank breather tube kinked.
Good luck.

crazyv
7th June 2008, 18:10
Thanks all for the suggestions!

Decided to start with the easiest place (newbie :eek:) which is cleaning Air Filter (or as the manual referrers it to as "Air Cleaner Element")

It says to use a nonflammable cleaning solvent. Is there a name/brand that anyone knows off?

stevewederell
7th June 2008, 22:19
Not sure if I should have used it but the brand I used was Pamolive LOL, Lime flavoured I believe.:doctor:

Ahhh I miss the Ol' GN...

Lucy
9th June 2008, 04:13
Hi All,

I rode my bike (GN250 E 2006) this morning for about 15 minutes (50km/h) on my way back passed a traffic lights and was about to shift to gear 4 and noticed a sudden lack of power when throttling. I ended up limping home on 1st (luckily was near my house at the time!)

Cheers!

This happened to mine but fixed itself when I switched to reserve.....:doh:

CB ARGH
21st June 2008, 10:09
Sorry to make you (or me) sound dumb... but that usually happens when the choke is on full/closed... right? Open 'er up! :blank:

crazyv
21st June 2008, 21:30
OK so the bike is fixed (fingers & toes crossed) :2thumbsup

I rode it for about 7Kms today no issues.

What I believe was causing this issue was, me (unknowingly) having kept the fuel line on ON while it was parked - which might have caused too much fuel into the Carb.

Anyway I also did a Air filter clean and replaced the oil filter + put new oil in too (which wouldn't have hurt) ;)