PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuilding for fun and profit

CookMySock
16th June 2008, 12:40
Gurus,

I'm wondering about buying a 1990 FZR250R or similar with a knocky lower end and 60,000kms on it. Otherwise, it appears very tidy. I would probably sell it afterwards.

Questions ;

How much does it cost (gaskets etc etc) just to open one of these inline4 engines up and put it back together ?

What would the approx theft be on main and rod bearings ?

Are the dis/re-assembly procedures well documented ? where ?

What am I missing ?

many thanks,
Steve

bungbung
16th June 2008, 13:02
Paul_in_NZ did a wonderful job on a FZR400, written up here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=49874&highlight=fzr400

I'd say that parts pricing would be pretty similar between the 400 and 250

koba
16th June 2008, 15:18
I had an old GSXR250.
Genuine parts were around:
$120 head gasket.
$172 each for pistons with rings. (or maybe $127..?)
$40 base gasket.
$65 Camchain (maybe, a bit fuzzy on that)

Those prices are not really relevant but may give some idea.
That was Full retail from Welly MC (on the pricey side for everything)

I only needed the head gasket, and after paying full price I found a new sealed one for $50. got that too as a spare. one had come up on tardme (also in the packet) that went for $14 the week before.

If you wan't it to be cheaper It may take time as you search around for the bits at the right price.

CookMySock
16th June 2008, 16:37
ok thanks fellas. Pauls' rebuild was a great read.

DB

Sketchy_Racer
16th June 2008, 21:18
don't expect there to be a great deal of money in it.

I've been doing them for a while now, Mostly for the enjoyment. I have the occasional bike make quite a bit, but have also lost quite a bit every now and then. Win some you lose some i suppose!

To make any money off it the initial purchase needs to be at a really really sharp price. OR, if it's a very minor problem. There are risks! you have been warned

CookMySock
16th June 2008, 22:31
thanks Sketchy_Racer. Yeah I was thinking of sticking with the tidy looking 250s with a simple engine fault. Theres one on tm with a rattly bottom end and I wonder if its just big ends. Still it might be a biaaaaarch to get at though.

DB

FROSTY
17th June 2008, 12:04
If the bigend is a knocking dont bovver--its better to replace the engine

CookMySock
17th June 2008, 14:13
ok thanks Frosty. Better, as "it costs too much to get in and out" ?

DB

FilthyLuka
17th June 2008, 15:21
ok thanks Frosty. Better, as "it costs too much to get in and out" ?

DB

I wouldn't say cost much, its just an absolute pain in the arse. That and if its a big end knock, it may be more than just a bearing that needs to be replaced.

CookMySock
17th June 2008, 17:09
I wouldn't say cost much, its just an absolute pain in the arse. That and if its a big end knock, it may be more than just a bearing that needs to be replaced.Thanks. I would be tempted to strip it, just in case it was really tidy, but yeah as you say, just replace it with a good runner otherwise.

;) cheers!
DB

mark247
17th June 2008, 18:28
yea if the crank shafts stuffed you would have to pay a fair bit to find a replacement one id suspect.

If it is your first engine you are rebuilding id recommend a single cylinder engine, the first engine i took apart was single cylinder and it was pretty straight forward, inlinefours can get kinda confusing, as i experienced with my fzr400 :S

CookMySock
17th June 2008, 19:03
yea if the crank shafts stuffed you would have to pay a fair bit to find a replacement one id suspect. ahh

If it is your first engine you are rebuilding id recommend a single cylinder engine, the first engine i took apart was single cylinder and it was pretty straight forward, inlinefours can get kinda confusing, as i experienced with my fzr400 :SOk. The engine wouldn't faze me.. gearboxes I have never liked.. :mellow:

Well, better free up some cash and start lookin at projects.

Thanks Mark.

DB

speedpro
17th June 2008, 22:00
I've got bits from both model FZR250 engines including basically a whole engine. I sawed 2 cylinders off the other to make a 125 bucket engine. There's a whole 20L bin of bits like rods pistons and valves etc. I also have a special little tool for guiding the cutters if you want to get in and do a job on the valves and seats. They are easy to dismantle and reassemble as they are a real nice design.

speedpro
17th June 2008, 22:03
Typically they become noisy because of the typical farktard that buys them who revs the snot out of it without warming it up. It scorches a bearing and if bad enough damages the crank. NOT a cheap fix I don't think. The heads die of old age as well, leaky and stuff.

mark247
17th June 2008, 22:46
Typically they become noisy because of the typical farktard that buys them who revs the snot out of it without warming it up. It scorches a bearing and if bad enough damages the crank. NOT a cheap fix I don't think. The heads die of old age as well, leaky and stuff.

yea i dont know about the 250's but the FZR400's were notorious for pulling through inlet valves...

CookMySock
21st June 2008, 08:03
I've got bits from both model FZR250 engines including basically a whole engine. Thanks speedpro. Thats a good resource to know about.

DB

CB ARGH
21st June 2008, 10:01
ahh

Ok. The engine wouldn't faze me.. gearboxes I have never liked.. :mellow:

Well, better free up some cash and start lookin at projects.

Thanks Mark.

DB

Make a go kart! :banana:

Ha... I can't give any help on rebuilding or whatever... so I'll give a little tip that a cute birdie told me.

DB likes boys :girlfight: