PDA

View Full Version : FZR600 pilot screws- HELP

Cuban
20th June 2008, 13:12
ok,
so after fixing the carbs up on my old girl i whack it all back together and its not idling properly, so i figure ill have a play, pulled the pilot screws (air fuel) to have a look at em, and so on. I get it starting but ugly sounding, so i figure, bugger it, its going to the shop. I ride it down there and it sounds awful...Like a Subaru.... Hear back from the guys today and
1- two pilot screws have gone AWOL on the ride
2- Cylinder three isn't firing (hoping its plugs) and
3- compression is buggered on one cylinder (90 when its supposed to be min 140 or something)

anyway, anyone know where to get pilot screws for this thing from? and any other ideas to do with the others will help. Can i do this work myself?

Cheers all

Tim

Teflon
20th June 2008, 17:38
Dude, sounds like you need a Haynes manual..

Cuban
20th June 2008, 18:03
sounds like i need an r6

Max Preload
21st June 2008, 15:43
1- two pilot screws have gone AWOL on the rideim

How exactly do pilot screws come loose on a ride? The only way I can think of is the carbs weren't re-assembled properly with all the parts.

Cuban
22nd June 2008, 11:53
i took em out and must not have screwed em in at all, I was just wrapped that the bike was starting again and thought Id leave the rest to Yamaha...sigh.

Anyone know anyone with an old F6 they're pulling to bits?!~!

Max Preload
22nd June 2008, 15:38
I can't understand how it ran at all. If it did it must have sounded like a bag of broken arseholes. :gob:

Cuban
22nd June 2008, 20:42
correct. sounded like a dirty subaru

Katman
23rd June 2008, 22:51
Can i do this work myself?

You're joking, right?

Cuban
23rd June 2008, 22:55
ill take that as a thoroughly helpful and sarcastic 'no'

Katman
23rd June 2008, 23:06
ill take that as a thoroughly helpful and sarcastic 'no'

At least no-one can fault your powers of deduction.

:msn-wink:

Max Preload
23rd June 2008, 23:22
Can i do this work myself?

Isn't that how you ended up in this situation in the first place? :blink:

Cuban
24th June 2008, 08:26
yes yes, but thats in the past, we need to focus on the future, ie, how to get Tim out of this mess.

Now, the other thing i need to know is, how likely is it that the low compression is due to valve clearances needing to be done, and how likely the rings are f-d?

Max Preload
24th June 2008, 12:02
You have to go back to the beginning...

Valve clearances will normally reduce over periods of time. This is less desireable than having them increase as it can lead to burnt valves etc. Start by checking them.

With it established that the clearances are in fact correct, recheck the compressions. If still uneven, then try a little ATF (automatic transmission fluid) down the bore of the lowest cylinder and recheck. My suspicion is that it won't make any difference, pointing to a damaged valve.

But if the compressions are fairly even, you'll need to start looking at other things. You'll have to sort the carbs out first since they've been to bits and some of those bits are no longer there.

Cuban
24th June 2008, 17:17
nice, cheers,
I am having the valve clearances checked at the moment. I have a feeling that if they are not the issue, then the problem will be worth more than the bike is...bugger it