PDA

View Full Version : Problems selecting 1st gear.

NewZ
26th June 2008, 13:08
2007 HSUN HS200GY, It appears to be happening quite often when gearing down before coming to a stop I’m not able to get bike into 1st; this happens but rarely with 2nd as well.
Gearing up is fine and gearing down through 3rd an 2nd (on most occasions) but then that’s it. When kicking the gear leaver down it feels like it would, if it were, in first. (If that makes sense)
I’m thinking maybe adjusting the clutch may help? It engages quite late when letting it out.
The bike runs great however at the moment I’m riding the hell out of the clutch when it won’t go into 1st.
I’m just wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem.

Cheers
Jamie:headbang:

vifferman
26th June 2008, 13:19
Adjusting the clutch may help a little. When you're changing down, do you let the lever return after each downchange, before pressing it down again?

firefighter
26th June 2008, 13:22
I get this sometimes too, I just let the clutch out until I feel or hear it wanting to move in second then clutch back in and it usually clicks into first-a bit like when you can't get a car into reverse just needs a quick play.....

NewZ
26th June 2008, 13:30
Yea I let the clutch out after every down shift, but it just feels like it’s gone down to first gear. I try another couple of kicks down with the clutch in but nothing, just stays in second.
It’s got me stumped because it’ll work fine for a wee bit not straight after start up but after riding for about 10 min it appears to work for a few stops and starts then starts doing it again

xwhatsit
26th June 2008, 15:24
Is this while the bike is still moving, or is it while stopped? If it's happening only when the bike is stopped, then probably not much to worry about -- sequential bike gearboxes are notorious for being shit like that. If it's happening on the run, then there's some trouble.

NewZ
26th June 2008, 15:34
Moving as well as stop I just can’t get into 1st gear well most times. You think the gearbox is knackered?
I know what you mean by stopped and rolling forward a bit just to engage the gear but it happens on the move too; for example when gearing down to come to a stop going to put it in 1st it just doesn’t engage and it feels (underfoot) like you’ve got the bike in 1st but it’s not and you can’t select neutral either is just kicks it back to 3rd.

NewZ
26th June 2008, 16:55
I'd just thought I'd mention that I actually have no problems selecting neutral once I finally get the bike into 1st…. to get it into neutral. And no problems what so ever kicking the bike into 1st from neutral.

Katman
26th June 2008, 17:08
I'm almost afraid to ask but - what's a HSUN HS200GY?

NewZ
26th June 2008, 19:57
Heres the link.

http://www.hsun-motor.com/EN/Product/ProductView.asp?Id=89&Title=HS200GY(E-mark)

Katman
26th June 2008, 20:34
Heres the link.

http://www.hsun-motor.com/EN/Product/ProductView.asp?Id=89&Title=HS200GY(E-mark)

Ahhhh. I think I can now see where your problem lies.

Ixion
26th June 2008, 21:00
Have you tried asking the agent for the model? It may be only a small adjustment required. Is it perhaps still under warranty?

NewZ
26th June 2008, 21:13
Ahhhh. I think I can now see where your problem lies.

Hahah... Smart Asss.. ;)
It's a good commuter... or should I say it will be if I can figure out what the problem is.

awayatc
26th June 2008, 21:15
Someday China may produce quality motorbikes......That day however has not arrived yet.
Save yourself a fair bit of grief and trade up to a more reputable brand.....

Katman
26th June 2008, 21:29
Hahah... Smart Asss.. ;)
It's a good commuter... or should I say it will be if I can figure out what the problem is.

Never trust a brand name that you have to be pissed to be able to pronounce.

:msn-wink:

rudolph
26th June 2008, 21:32
Got your moneys worth:banana:

Ixion
26th June 2008, 21:34
S'odd y'know, I remember folk saying *exactly* the same things about Jap bikes just a few years ago.

awayatc
26th June 2008, 21:41
China may get there, but are definitely not there yet.
You obviously haven't had the pleasure yet ......

icekiwi
26th June 2008, 22:18
S'odd y'know, I remember folk saying *exactly* the same things about Jap bikes just a few years ago.

What he said...
Hey guys the dudes looking for a hand not a piss take...

xwhatsit
26th June 2008, 22:59
Looks like the old XR200/CRF230/CB223 motor -- various Chinese brands like to manufacture copies of these (Loncin, Lifan et al). Many people report dropping Honda bits straight in.

Anybody ever have similar problems with XR200 lumps? What could this be? Not something silly like a spring popped out of place?

I think it's wise advice to get in touch with the distributor first, if it's 2007 then you'd hope they'd be helpful.

NewZ
27th June 2008, 08:55
Right thanks guy’s, just to let you now I used to ride a T140 Bonneville a few years back so I’m used to my fair share of bike problems, only got this bike to commute to work and back, when your filling the tank for $7 and it last a week you try not complain about what your riding, well unless your having a hard time getting 1st gear.

Regarding the bike being Chinese, with a 200cc chainsaw motor who would think you’d get many problems… :P hsun motors are modelled off Japanese motors anyway I figure the components may be a lesser quality but being a year old you’d think the gearbox would last longer.

I bought the bike second hand and when I took it for a test ride it appeared to be OK, that was about 2 weeks ago. It’s just started happening this week.

Well I guess I was hoping someone may have had a similar problem and could say whether it was a major issue or something minor.

Thanks for those who posted regarding….