PDA

View Full Version : WTF is a compression screw?

Timmay
29th June 2008, 11:27
After having spend a couple of weekend's trying to get a mates SR250 to idle properly with no luck he took it to a shop mechanic who fixed it by adjusting the "compression screw". What on earth is a compression screw? I have worked on cars and bikes for years now and have never heard of such a thing. The internet is no help either. Does anyone know where this mystical screw is and what it does?

Thanks to all in advance

TTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY YYYYY

Pussy
29th June 2008, 12:14
I think someone's pisser may have been pulled here....

Katman
29th June 2008, 12:16
And he probably used a left handed screw driver.

AllanB
29th June 2008, 12:34
That's when you are doing the rude stuff with your girl and your flatmate runs into your room and jumps on your back.

Compression screw.

tri boy
29th June 2008, 12:44
It's a screw that raises pressure via friction.
A 14" "populating tool" is the recommended size to adjust it with.........

speights_bud
29th June 2008, 13:16

You can actually get those....:cool:

Rodney007
29th June 2008, 13:30
its not so much of a screw but more of a bung type button
that sits on the outermost cylnder bore

Jantar
29th June 2008, 13:33

Specially designed for left hand thread screws. :whistle:

speights_bud
29th June 2008, 13:35
Specially designed for left hand thread screws. :whistle:

or for the semi assisted removal of right handed screws....:niceone:

Bugger it, i'll just use glass head nails next time...

TLDV8
29th June 2008, 18:04

Very handy when it comes time to change ones blinker fluid or muffler bearings.:laugh:

Drew
29th June 2008, 18:14
All screws compress something. That said however, methinks the mechanic did something real simple, that took him weeks to find the first time he had the problem, and tried the baffle with bullshit approach when explaining to your friend.

Timmay
29th June 2008, 18:16
so it is a screw/bung at the top of the cylinder bore which raises compression......still not exactly sure how this works.....anybody got a link to a website explaining this, pictures would be useful

speights_bud
29th June 2008, 18:59
Very handy when it comes time to change ones blinker fluid or muffler bearings.:laugh:

Got a digital plumb bob to check that with?

sAsLEX
29th June 2008, 19:04

The amount of times people have been told to get a bucket of striped paint by their senior rates, or to go get a bucket of steam

speights_bud
29th June 2008, 19:17
The amount of times people have been told to get a bucket of striped paint by their senior rates, or to go get a bucket of steam

Striped paint ACTUALLY exists. it's not actually 'stripey' more like a base colour with a speckle of secondary colour...

sAsLEX
29th June 2008, 19:23
Striped paint ACTUALLY exists. it's not actually 'stripey' more like a base colour with a speckle of secondary colour...

Or where a Sgt got sick of being asked for striped paint by privates sent to him that he cut a paint can in half, welded some divisions in it, and then welded the tin back up and filled it with different coloured paints.........

speights_bud
29th June 2008, 19:26
Or where a Sgt got sick of being asked for striped paint by privates sent to him that he cut a paint can in half, welded some divisions in it, and then welded the tin back up and filled it with different coloured paints.........

I think if i were him i'd rather fetch myself a long weight...

GSVR
30th June 2008, 14:58
After having spend a couple of weekend's trying to get a mates SR250 to idle properly with no luck he took it to a shop mechanic who fixed it by adjusting the "compression screw". What on earth is a compression screw? I have worked on cars and bikes for years now and have never heard of such a thing. The internet is no help either. Does anyone know where this mystical screw is and what it does?

Thanks to all in advance

TTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIMMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY YYYYY

Was this written on an invoice or was it what the mechanic said to your mate? Does you mate suffer from glue ear or was it really noisey when he was talking to the mechanic?

The reason I ask is becuase "compensation screw" is a part on some carbs and is to do with setting the mixture.

Drew
30th June 2008, 15:39
Was this written on an invoice or was it what the mechanic said to your mate? Does you mate suffer from glue ear or was it really noisey when he was talking to the mechanic?

The reason I ask is becuase "compensation screw" is a part on some carbs and is to do with setting the mixture.

Way too plausable, MODS, get rid of this post!!!

Timmay
30th June 2008, 16:41
yeah, could be compensation, my mate, who Chinese whispered this to me is of the programmer nature. Being an engineer and weekend mechanic i thought this must have been wrong.

And yes, I have used a digital plum bob(level) accurate to 0.01 degrees!! or so the display said

speights_bud
30th June 2008, 17:14
A plumb bob and level are two diff things... anywho, off to plumbing world to get myself some Fallopian tubes...

ManDownUnder
30th June 2008, 17:17
I think if i were him i'd rather fetch myself a long weight...

I was sent for one of those... and gleefully sat in stores reading while the guys did more than their share of the job... Seemed like a fair deal to me - till they realised I knew what I was doing.

I love it when people play a joke on themselves...!

speights_bud
30th June 2008, 17:19
I was sent for one of those... and gleefully sat in stores reading while the guys did more than their share of the job... Seemed like a fair deal to me - till they realised I knew what I was doing.

I love it when people play a joke on themselves...!

Haha yea, i was told this one before i started my trade, unfortunately nobody asked me to get them one so i never got my half hour coffee :(:doh:

TLDV8
30th June 2008, 19:51

I remember as an apprentice,being sent down to the machine shop to ask the storeman for a long weight.( i thought it must be something technical) :mad: At least i didn't fall for the sky hook.:laugh:

What?
30th June 2008, 21:08
A plumb bob and level are two diff things... anywho, off to plumbing world to get myself some Fallopian tubes...

One must assume that you already own a Teste Puller (for ball joints)...

tri boy
30th June 2008, 21:09
or being sent to get the smoko orders, and read it out to the girls there aloud. It went like this: 3 mince pies,
1 ham/salad roll
2 pork rolls
2 jelly doughnuts
2 buttered ovaries
2 cans of coke
2......what are you ladies laughing at???:confused:
Yep, I was a dumb apprentice (but hooked up with a sweet girl from the hairdressers next door):stupid:

What?
30th June 2008, 21:15
Anyway... a Compression Screw is a thing that is sometimes found in the top of the motor. It looks just like a spark plug, except that it has the word "Champion" written on it.

Henk
30th June 2008, 22:13
Now that we have that sorted out can somebody tell me how to set the valve clearances and balance the carbs on my RG150?

sinfull
30th June 2008, 22:19
Now that we have that sorted out can somebody tell me how to set the valve clearances and balance the carbs on my RG150?
what ? It has two ?

vindy500
1st July 2008, 02:46
its a screw that adjusts the compression duh, kinda obvious no?