PDA

View Full Version : JOY! More issues

FilthyLuka
2nd July 2008, 11:12
Well, after bunging in a new set of metzelers, new brake pads all around, new fork seals, new fuel lines, new fuel filter and a high flow fuel tap. My GSXR has decided to shit itself :D

awesome...

Going on the motorway it started surging, then running on 3 with one cylinder randomly cutting in... I limped to work, checked plugs, all good. Everything is sparking. Checked fuel flow, its flowing like a flowing thing. Took the fairings off and went for a spin.

It ran sweet for a bit, but it wouldn't rev over 8k. Then the cutting out happened again, runnin' on three. I heard something different from the usual flatslide rattle, so i bent down at the lights to have a listen and Lo and Behold! Scraping and knock noises coming from the bore area... FAAAAAAAAARK. Ahwell,

gonna trailer the thing home and start tearing it to peices, i'll post pics of the carnage :crazy:

scorry
2nd July 2008, 11:17
oh mate doesnt sound good at all, look foward to seeing the pics tho
Best of luck

Kornholio
2nd July 2008, 11:26
Bugger dude, what model is it?

I was thinking fuel blockage but as I read on it seemed apparent its not

Good luck bro

FilthyLuka
2nd July 2008, 16:32
Bugger dude, what model is it?

I was thinking fuel blockage but as I read on it seemed apparent its not

Good luck bro

its an F model, the very very first GSXR. 1985 GSXR750.

Its definetly not a fuel blockage. Might be some dodgy wiring thats vibrating at high revs then shorting out, causing issues. Doesn't explain the grinding noise though. Ill check all the plugs and compression tonight, then start stripping her down. If i don't find the source of the grinding noise in the top end then looks like then engine is gonna need to come out for a complete strip.

Should be fun times.

FilthyLuka
3rd July 2008, 12:18
Well, got stripping.

Wiring is dodgy, insulation tape and cable ties EVERYWHERE. need to redo all that.

Pulled apart the carbs. They were all outta sync, and carb one had a 97.5 main jet, while all the rest had 100 main jets... Explains why it was running like a bag of arseholes at high RPM.

Haven't whipped the head of yet, cam chain tensioner is looking pretty sad though...

Kornholio
3rd July 2008, 12:27
Well, got stripping.

Wiring is dodgy, insulation tape and cable ties EVERYWHERE. need to redo all that.

Pulled apart the carbs. They were all outta sync, and carb one had a 97.5 main jet, while all the rest had 100 main jets... Explains why it was running like a bag of arseholes at high RPM.

Haven't whipped the head of yet, cam chain tensioner is looking pretty sad though...

Sounds like it has had a good life :D

How many k's has it done?

FilthyLuka
3rd July 2008, 13:31
Sounds like it has had a good life :D

How many k's has it done?

Ahwell, time for shiny bits i guess :-D Ape manual tensioner and Tsubaki cam chain and slotted sprockets and a full carb overhaul and a 771cc wiseco high comp big bore and Dyna coils and Dyna HT leads and New plugs and and and AND

Hmm, i think i have a fair bit of work ahead of me...

Its done 63,000km's, but im starting to question the legitimacy of that reading.

On the plus side, cams look fine :D

Kornholio
3rd July 2008, 14:01
Ahwell, time for shiny bits i guess :-D Ape manual tensioner and Tsubaki cam chain and slotted sprockets and a full carb overhaul and a 771cc wiseco high comp big bore and Dyna coils and Dyna HT leads and New plugs and and and AND

Hmm, i think i have a fair bit of work ahead of me...

Its done 63,000km's, but im starting to question the legitimacy of that reading.

On the plus side, cams look fine :D

Nice :D

re the speedo reading, yeah interesting as my 01 gixxer has done 76k lol

FilthyLuka
3rd July 2008, 20:57
Well, a bit of WD40 and a liberal application of hammer means i no longer have a seized camchain tensioner :)

Will take some pics and post them up tomorrow

Cajun
3rd July 2008, 20:58
nice work filthyluka

might pay to keep an eye on it, might be a short term fix tho

FilthyLuka
4th July 2008, 12:57
Well, got an update on situation.

Cam chain is gone burgers. It looked fine but closer inspection reveals its worn to buggery. Rockers are all good, no pitting or anything.

Coil number one is cracked though :-( And HT lead number 4 is dodgy, has a crack in the insulation. That would also contribute to the "running like a bag of arseholes" symptom

I took all the panels off though, and i think im gonna leave the thing as a street fighter untill i get all the fairings redone. The idea is to restore the bike to its former glory. Took off the side covers, tail covers, head fairings and all the main fairings. It looks hot :devil2: Even with the two obnoxiously large front headlights.... Soooo, ideally, this means find another tank, Matte Bleck it, get the instrument cluster redone (the spongy frame thing looks bleh, Gonna just make something outta sheet steel) and Respray the headers.

The exhaust will be interesting, I'm gonna drill out the rivets holding on the stainless plate on the muffler, sand everything back, Flameproof Primer, Flameproof Matte Bleck, re-rivet on the Stainless steel plate (after some hammering and Autosol of course :doctor: ) and bung on a bar-end mirror to keep the plod happy.

Then once thats all sorted, i can go and start working on the "restore" part of the bike. Plastic weld all the wee cracks in the fairings, sand everything back, repaint and apply a full Decal kit from AFE

Kornholio
4th July 2008, 13:42
Outstanding :clap:

If you want some ideas for your fighter style contact 'Toebug' on the site as he is NZ Streetfighters... He just done a 750J that looks quite awesome

Good luck bro :D

FilthyLuka
4th July 2008, 13:57
Outstanding :clap:

If you want some ideas for your fighter style contact 'Toebug' on the site as he is NZ Streetfighters... He just done a 750J that looks quite awesome

Good luck bro :D

Yeah mate, may give him a yell. The idea is to be able to revert it to looking completely stock easily. The fact that i like how it looks with none of the fairings and just a tank really help there :niceone: I don't think ill even swap out the headlights, the twin front looks fine just sitting in its bracket with no head fairing around it :clap:

Just been looking at shinies, Full braided line kit (front, rear and clutch) is gonna be about $400 includin' shipping from UK (HEL brand) :drool: But engine parts come first :headbang:

Hehehe, its gonna be fun

FROSTY
9th July 2008, 17:36
itll be interesting to see what ya think of the handling with a set of stunt bars on it being higher and wider could help

FilthyLuka
11th July 2008, 22:30
itll be interesting to see what ya think of the handling with a set of stunt bars on it being higher and wider could help

I'm afraid not, i like the look of the clip on's way too much :Punk:

FilthyLuka
17th July 2008, 19:23
found the issue. Last person that tore the engine apart (not me) was a silly bastard and didn't put a circlip in piston number 1 :mellow: Gudgeon pin decided to come out and gouge the cylinder wall <_<

ordering a 771cc wiseco kit from ape, requires 0.5mm bored out of the cylinder, so hopefully that will take care of the groove, if not ill get a new sleeve from suzuki. Hope i don't need to though...

I've torn the loom out and begun resoldering and taping up things, waterproofing everything ect. ect. Polished the frame and subframes, lookin' shiny :laugh:

If i can find another top triple clamp ill install some MX bars too see what its like :)

Kornholio
17th July 2008, 23:12
Wicked man... a dirty ol circlip aye.........