PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Zeal issues

lemining
9th July 2008, 10:00
Hey guys,

I know that some of you are grease monkeys so maybe you can help me out with some of the issues i have with my bike.

For unknown reason when i start my bike in the morning when it is cold, it makes this knocking noise. It is like tapping, thats why i was thinking maybe it is valve clearance but that knocking stops when the engine warms up.
It might have started after oil replacement, however, i double checked it and there is right amount of oil, and it wasn't cheap oil either.

Now the bike has only done 16k, (i got told it might be pistons, but i dont think pistons would die after 16k of nice riding :baby:)

Another issue that i have (it might not be an issue), i got told that my bike sounds like carbs aren't balanced. I have never done carb balancing, i have cleaned carbs before, i saw few tutorials on how to make carb balancing tool with piece of transparent tubing and piece of plank, but how accurate that would be? Does anyone have any feedback on that?

:headbang:

cheers

Hitcher
9th July 2008, 10:25
Sounds like it could be a cam chain. I had a similar problem on my Zeal and that was the cam chain.

lemining
9th July 2008, 10:34
Sounds like it could be a cam chain. I had a similar problem on my Zeal and that was the cam chain.

Was it only when the bike was cold? What did u end up doing? I never done anything with cam chain. Do you have to replace it or adjust it?

lemining
9th July 2008, 10:36
It rattles/knocks, i would say it sounds a bit like desel engine when it is cold. When it warms up it is way better.

Hitcher
9th July 2008, 10:40
The knock was worse when the bike was cold. The problem was cured by replacing the cam chain. The mileage on my bike was similar to yours.

Macstar
9th July 2008, 11:42
Yeah sounds quite plausable. Is it a manual cam chain tensioner or automatic? If it's manual you could try tweaking it a little and see if the noise goes away...

lemining
9th July 2008, 11:58
Yeah sounds quite plausable. Is it a manual cam chain tensioner or automatic? If it's manual you could try tweaking it a little and see if the noise goes away...

That is a very good question.... Hitcher have you got any manuals for zeal? Or maybe you remember if it was automatic or manual. If it is manual, i can get my flatmate to adjust it for me and we will see if it does anything.

Hitcher
9th July 2008, 13:23
Sorry, no Zeal manuals. Ring up your closest Yamaha workshop and ask them.

lemining
9th July 2008, 14:31
Sorry, no Zeal manuals. Ring up your closest Yamaha workshop and ask them.

I only managed to get owner manual, of some Russian website, no service manuals in english (jap import). I'll keep on digging.

If anyone wants owner's manual for zeal please pm me.

musicman
9th July 2008, 17:02
Jeaves (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=7408) told me once he has a workshop manual, you could ask him to see if you could borrow it (if he still has it).

Jeaves
9th July 2008, 20:24
Yep still have it. Auto tensioner by the way

sob....miss my Zeal:bye:

Patar
9th July 2008, 21:46
I'd be suprised to see bikes this day and age with manual cam chain tensioners.
The ticking seems indicative of a worn tensioner, so that it the first thing i would try, although I am far from a reliable source, the knocking may well be a result of the tensioner, but i have no idea.

Manuals: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10556

lemining
10th July 2008, 10:13
Yep still have it. Auto tensioner by the way

Could i make a copy of it? Is it in english? it doesnt matter too much, i can probably get it translated. PM ME!

lemining
11th July 2008, 17:53
Is anyone keen for pizza and beer and a bit of cam chain replacement in my zeal? :clap: i havent done it before so i would feel safer with someone who has.

motorbyclist
12th July 2008, 00:22
Is anyone keen for pizza and beer and a bit of cam chain replacement in my zeal? :clap: i havent done it before so i would feel safer with someone who has.

inline four, right?

not having done it myself, but having had it done before, i'd be keen to give you a hand

ask at a shop for the chain & price, and see if you can view the exploded parts diagram, they should be happy to print it out for you if it means a sale.

speculation:
if it's got a master link that we don't have to rivet with a special tool, we can remove the rocker cover, open the old chain, clip the new chain to it, draw it through and join back to itself. easy job, few beers should do it.

if it's an endless chain, which would seem "safer" for the application where a fuckup means a new engine, we'll likely have to do some minor to complete disassembly of the motor to change it, depending on where it sits, ie between cylinders or just behind flywheel. a lot of tools, a lot of time, A LOT of beers.

any more experienced mechanics know more about this bike? i'm guessing it's a case of a special rivet tool; reliable and easy.
any known ways to emulate the tool? hammer and hole punch?:D

motorbyclist
12th July 2008, 00:38
what year model is that zeal?

erik
12th July 2008, 09:38
I did the cam chain in my zeal a long time ago. I posted a thread (or two) about it:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=21195
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=16549

There's some photos that might be useful. Please don't post in the threads though, they're so old and I'd rather they weren't dredged back up.

the chain I got to replace it was a Regina morse chain part number: 82RH2010M 112 links.
http://www.reginachain.it/eng/products/production_range/scheda_morse.shtml

I'd be surprised if the chain needed replacing after just 16,000km though. I'm not even sure my one needed replacing at ~70,000km.
Maybe the cam chain tensioner is sticking a bit?

I do remember my zeal used to make a knocking noise at idle. I think it went away when you pulled the clutch in. I can't remember if it was just when cold or not.
It could be that the knocking noise is normal. Maybe get someone with experience to listen to it.

motorbyclist
12th July 2008, 14:16
I'd be surprised if the chain needed replacing after just 16,000km though.

same here.

lemining
12th July 2008, 16:49
what year model is that zeal?

It is 1991 yamaha zeal.

It would be much easier if i could lay my hands on service manual ;)
(hint: Jeaves). I went to mechanic this week and they had a listen to my bike and they said that it is either cam chain or tensioner or both.

lemining
12th July 2008, 16:54
I did the cam chain in my zeal a long time ago. I posted a thread (or two) about it:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=21195
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=16549

There's some photos that might be useful. Please don't post in the threads though, they're so old and I'd rather they weren't dredged back up.

the chain I got to replace it was a Regina morse chain part number: 82RH2010M 112 links.
http://www.reginachain.it/eng/products/production_range/scheda_morse.shtml

I'd be surprised if the chain needed replacing after just 16,000km though. I'm not even sure my one needed replacing at ~70,000km.
Maybe the cam chain tensioner is sticking a bit?

I do remember my zeal used to make a knocking noise at idle. I think it went away when you pulled the clutch in. I can't remember if it was just when cold or not.
It could be that the knocking noise is normal. Maybe get someone with experience to listen to it.

I will try and play with clutch when my bike is cold and see if the noise goes away. It doesnt rattle at idle when it is warm, just when its cold.

motorbyclist
12th July 2008, 17:10
It is 1991 yamaha zeal.

It would be much easier if i could lay my hands on service manual ;)
(hint: Jeaves).

Yep still have it.

so PM him! got the manual but not the bike, you have the bike but not the manual

nothing a 12 pack won't fix

lemining
12th July 2008, 23:33
I did but no response :crybaby:

tate35
12th July 2008, 23:54
Ahhh...that sounds nasty, have you tired feeding the little man with the little hammer in their? :bash:

motorbyclist
13th July 2008, 04:02
tried the ever effective green rep pm? user page comment?

lemining
13th July 2008, 18:57
tried the ever effective green rep pm? user page comment?

I think if someone doesnt want to then there is no point in pushing. :blank:

motorbyclist
13th July 2008, 23:48
some don't check their PMs. i get it all the time when people apply to join the SMC social group, i PM asking who they are and they never reply

lemining
14th July 2008, 11:32
some don't check their PMs. i get it all the time when people apply to join the SMC social group, i PM asking who they are and they never reply

Don't you get email notification when u get PM in default settings?
Anyway, if anyone knows him in person if they could ask him if i can borrow it or buy it off him. Pwease :hug:

motorbyclist
14th July 2008, 12:30
some people turn the notifications off

lemining
14th July 2008, 14:40
some people turn the notifications off
plenty of excuses, at the end of the day when u log into the forum it shows u popup saying u got message. no rush i will keep digging maybe i can get service manual from elsewhere.

Squiggles
14th July 2008, 15:18
buy it off him, dont borrow, he's no longer got the zeal (i think)

motorbyclist
15th July 2008, 01:58
you can turn that popup off too :p

lemining
15th July 2008, 08:56
buy it off him, dont borrow, he's no longer got the zeal (i think)

I dont mind buying it, i mean if he doesnt use it then it is just extra money for him. It is just the guy doesnt reply to my pms... :mad:

pyao2x
16th January 2009, 20:40
i have a manual for the zeal... just pm your email. :)

that is if you're still looking for one.

by the way, it's a soft copy and it's in English. :)

bittertwistedcute
16th April 2009, 21:58
Hi, I know this is an older thread - but if anyone has a zeal manual (mines a 92) that would be great??

Slyer
16th April 2009, 22:59
Er, you tried messaging the person above you?

motorbyclist
16th April 2009, 23:48
he hasn't posted in a while but i'll see if i can get a copy too....

pyao2x
17th April 2009, 00:10
what I have is the user manual not the service manual. :)

macros87
17th April 2009, 10:34
wow! this threads from back when we thought cam chains were easy to do!

motorbyclist
19th April 2009, 13:00
I now have it added to my large collection :2thumbsup

alas it is 170 kilobytes too large to attach here....

and I don't think KB approves of .zip archives.

kinda silly being able to post 2MB .doc files but only 1MB .pdf files....

I might make a torrent of it later seeing as we can post those.

Slyer
19th April 2009, 13:06
I might make a torrent of it later seeing as we can post those.
Worst idea ever.

motorbyclist
19th April 2009, 15:19
Worst idea ever.

explain

nothing wrong with leaving my sever seeding several hundred MB of motorcycle manuals for those looking on KB

though realistically i probably cbf - all my manuals are on my dead hdd which is yet to get back from seagate

Slyer
19th April 2009, 16:18
Just host a web server.

motorbyclist
19th April 2009, 16:48
no entirely a bad idea either

ginja_ninja
27th October 2015, 19:40
I dont mind buying it, i mean if he doesnt use it then it is just extra money for him. It is just the guy doesnt reply to my pms... :mad:

hi did you get a service manual in the end ? im looking for the carburetor air fuel mix instructions :crazy:

bacon
28th October 2015, 10:03
hi did you get a service manual in the end ? im looking for the carburetor air fuel mix instructions :crazy:
who dares awaken the ancient Auckland Uni SMC kiwi biker forum? :P

Ragingrob
2nd January 2016, 15:00

I now have it added to my large collection :2thumbsup

Andrew - get in there!

who dares awaken the ancient Auckland Uni SMC kiwi biker forum? :P

:scooter: