PDA

View Full Version : Question - honda riders club + the insurance reduction

Zim_Invader
10th July 2008, 13:56
hey, was talking to ross about the honda, and insurance. how does it work? how do u join the club and get all those benefits with insurance? do u need to be insured by a certain company to get it? what are all the perks and catches again? and where do i sign?

mowgli
10th July 2008, 14:18
Honda Riders Club provides roadside assistance and access to the HondaSure insuance product. They've negotiated it through Golightly Insurance, Canterbury which is underwritten by Vero Insurance. Bike, riding gear and bike accessories are all covered under the one policy (no need for separate claim under contents policy). I'm pretty sure the cost of HRC organised riding courses can be offset against the next year's premium and that you are automatically covered on the track for HRC courses. Unfortunately I've made a claim with them and can vouch that they are entirely professional and handled my situation without fuss and better than I could have hoped for. They get my thumbs up.

To enquire further contact Robyn Stace at HRC (robyn at hrcnz dot co dot nz).

Phurrball
10th July 2008, 20:20
^^^

What he said. But remember Hondasure isn't the only way to go, but they seem to be ultra competitive (*if you have a Honda and join HRC)

You'll need details of anything an insurance company might be interested in to apply (duty of disclosure: so the ins co can assess your risk level and set the premium appropriately)-

Speeding tickets, licence suspensions, other driving convictions, info about any prior claims etc. (Not saying you've got any :whistle:)

Maaay cost more for L platers, under 25's etc.

In our case Hondasure blew away any other insurance products, even adding the $70 (for two of us) HRC annual membership.

$5K gear extension, roadside assist all included.

$250 basic excess (they may add more to this if you're under 25, which I'm not ;))

Also get quotes from John Baker (Jetboy on this site I believe) and Kiwibike (http://www.kiwibike.co.nz) who are both brokers and also do good deals (There may be others too...)

Good luck ZI.

klyong82
10th July 2008, 21:23
+1 Kiwibike.....I pay $580 a year for my Fireblade bloody good price and includes roadside cover and track days...

BANZAI
11th July 2008, 00:34
I posted insurance stuff in your other thread.

STATE $10/month $700 excess.

Just make sure you don't crush your bike!!! :D

ehab2weelr
11th July 2008, 09:39
thats not cool for non honda riders :weep:....is there anything like that for suzus??

lemining
11th July 2008, 10:00
thats not cool for non honda riders :weep:....is there anything like that for suzus??

or yamahas....:mad:

i'm insured with state or swann (i think it is same company tho) and it wasnt that expensive. i think i paid around 250 p/a for third party (fire + theft). However there is little tinny text that if my bike gets stolen from any place other than my garage i gotta pay $2k excess :argh:

klyong82
11th July 2008, 12:03
or yamahas....:mad:

i'm insured with state or swann (i think it is same company tho) and it wasnt that expensive. i think i paid around 250 p/a for third party (fire + theft). However there is little tinny text that if my bike gets stolen from any place other than my garage i gotta pay $2k excess :argh:

Holy crap $2k excess? mine is only 250 excess and I am like 18 and the half...years old....if you are 21 then I think you can get full insurance with kiwibike for about 500p/a and I think excess is 500

Blackbird
11th July 2008, 12:36
I'm with HRC and the biggest benefit as far as I'm concerned is the peace of mind from their free breakdown service. When I was in the south island last year, I suffered an electrical problem near Twizel. Rang the HRC service and my heart sank when I got someone who sounded like he was from a Mumbai Call Centre and had never heard of Twizel. My heart sank and I had visions of becoming part of a "Deliverance" movie:no:. However, 20 minutes later, I could hardly believe it when an auto electrician showed up. Incredible bit of service.

lemining
11th July 2008, 13:12
Holy crap $2k excess? mine is only 250 excess and I am like 18 and the half...years old....if you are 21 then I think you can get full insurance with kiwibike for about 500p/a and I think excess is 500

Mine is around 500 bracket, but then i had some spare time to read my full policy (read urs) i got my insurance thro kiwibike and it says that if my bike gets stolen lets say off the street not from my garage where i said it would be parked overnight i gotta pay $2k excess. :spanking:

Excesses
Full Comprehensive
$500.00
Third Party Fire and Theft
$500.00
Off Road Cover
$500.00
Additional Excesses
Unspecified Rider
$1000.00
Not garaged at residential address
$2000.00

klyong82
11th July 2008, 14:10
I am with Swann and no where in any of my polices say $2k excess... hmm..... clearly states $250 excess for every claim. Is this with State Insurance??

lemining
11th July 2008, 15:26
it is thro kiwibike.co.nz. They are insurance brokers but im not sure who is the insurance through. I just wanted something to make sure my wallet wont suffer when i hit that brand new mercedes or porsche. :sweatdrop

klyong82
11th July 2008, 15:29
it is thro kiwibike.co.nz. They are insurance brokers but im not sure who is the insurance through. I just wanted something to make sure my wallet wont suffer when i hit that brand new mercedes or porsche. :sweatdrop

They are with Star or Swann.....I have read Star's policy and there is a clause about if claiming theft a minumum $2000 excess applies...

lemining
11th July 2008, 15:44
I wonder if i can get refund and get insurance with swan. How much do you pay p/a for third party?

klyong82
11th July 2008, 16:25
I wonder if i can get refund and get insurance with swan. How much do you pay p/a for third party?

Call Dave at Kiwibike and see if Swann will cover you instead of Star...there is an 0800 number

bikerboy011
11th July 2008, 16:32
Am with the Honda riders club but am not insured through them, insured with star it cost me 1200$ a year and my excess is like 2.5k bloody hell.

bikerboy011
11th July 2008, 16:40
And i got a clean record not a single ticket over the last two years :eek:

R6_kid
11th July 2008, 17:50
+1 for kiwibike

my premium on my GSXR1000k3 is $1400, considering my history i was pretty bloody happy to get insurance at all, no tickets for a year and he'll half my premium and the excess too. Agreed value on the bike, and trackday cover assuming i call up first and it's an approved provider. If the premium was to be $700 then it'd be cheaper than insuring my old bike when i had a clean licence, at a lower agreed value, and with 30%+ worth of discounts.

I'm a happy chappy :niceone:

Hanne
11th July 2008, 21:12
They are with Star or Swann.....I have read Star's policy and there is a clause about if claiming theft a minumum $2000 excess applies...

Holy crap, 2K? My bike cost less than that to buy in the first place! One thing I noticed in my policy was that they will insure the bike for market value, only thing is they asked for what I bought it for which is now quite a bit UNDER market value (after I bought her everyone wanted a 250). How do you calculate current value, just by looking on TM?

klyong82
11th July 2008, 21:37
Holy crap, 2K? My bike cost less than that to buy in the first place! One thing I noticed in my policy was that they will insure the bike for market value, only thing is they asked for what I bought it for which is now quite a bit UNDER market value (after I bought her everyone wanted a 250). How do you calculate current value, just by looking on TM?

Well you will normally go to my bike shop and get them to give you a valuation which in my opinion is the price that the shop will buy it off you and not the price what the shop sells its for.

Example if you go to shop and say how much will they think it is worth for a 1990 CBR250RR MC22 the usual figure I know they will say is $4000 plus minus 500 looking at the condition etc etc even though they have one selling on the showroom floor from $5500 to $6500. The value is around the $4000 mark.

If you crash your bike the insurance company may ask for a valuation of your bike and that will be the figures assessors will give the insurance company. In your case for the policy stated as MARKET VALUE if the shop says the ZZR is worth $3000 and you insured it at $2000 then I think you will be given a cheque of $2000 as that is the lower sum.

If you insured it for $3000 and the shop says it is only worth $2000 then you too will get a $2000 payout. They will always pay the lower sum cos they are %$^%#. So it is always important to give a good estimate. Hope it helps...but please others correct me if I am wrong..

BANZAI
12th July 2008, 02:15
Hmmm isit because Zim got Honda? or just because he got something other than GN250, so everyones trying to help him out a lot???

I'm jealous :p

EJK
12th July 2008, 02:21
+1 Kiwibike.....I pay $580 a year for my Fireblade bloody good price and includes roadside cover and track days...

Ah what?? What a big bull! I pay $360 a year and it's only a 150!

Dakara
12th July 2008, 08:37
Well for my 08 CBR600RR here's my offers:

State: $1200 premium, $700 excess
Tower: $2100 Premium, $250 excess, or $2k excess if stolen
AA Insurance: $980 Premium $250 excess (I am an AA member, and have cage insurance with them)
Kiwibike: Option 1 - $660 premium, $700 excess, Option 2 $880 premium, $250 excess.

I'm 25, and had 1 claim the past 5 years at the time of the quotes which was theft of my car stereo. Having binned the other day i expect those numbers to increase.

My mate who's about 40 with a clean insurance and driving record pays about $1200 premium for the Honda insurance on the same bike.

klyong82
12th July 2008, 08:39
Hmmm isit because Zim got Honda? or just because he got something other than GN250, so everyones trying to help him out a lot???

I'm jealous :p

I think your time is up so its time to move on yeah Honda...lol by the way found me a Japanese girl yet (I want a nurse:doctor:)?:msn-wink:

Ah what?? What a big bull! I pay $360 a year and it's only a 150!

It was depends on what bike you bike EJ....mind you I got a 1000cc valued significantly greater than a FXR.

BANZAI
12th July 2008, 14:24
[QUOTE=klyong82;1644269]I think your time is up so its time to move on yeah Honda...lol by the way found me a Japanese girl yet (I want a nurse:doctor:)?:msn-wink:

Muhahaha that means I'm not as noob as Zim anymore :msn-wink:

Btw no time to find Jap girl for you, too busy helping parent's job and all that stuff.

Need to find Jap girl for me first :p

klyong82
12th July 2008, 14:34
Well for my 08 CBR600RR here's my offers:

State: $1200 premium, $700 excess
Tower: $2100 Premium, $250 excess, or $2k excess if stolen
AA Insurance: $980 Premium $250 excess (I am an AA member, and have cage insurance with them)
Kiwibike: Option 1 - $660 premium, $700 excess, Option 2 $880 premium, $250 excess.

I'm 25, and had 1 claim the past 5 years at the time of the quotes which was theft of my car stereo. Having binned the other day i expect those numbers to increase.

My mate who's about 40 with a clean insurance and driving record pays about $1200 premium for the Honda insurance on the same bike.

I think the clear winner is kiwibike here glad I am with them did you insure the bike at the price you bought the bike? Swann from Kiwibike has breakdown service so that's a added bonus.

Dakara
12th July 2008, 14:38
I think the clear winner is kiwibike here glad I am with them did you insure the bike at the price you bought the bike? Swann from Kiwibike has breakdown service so that's a added bonus.

Yea I will do when it arrives next month, or when I'm out of plaster :doh:

Drew
12th July 2008, 15:34
I was curious when I saw this thread, but in all honesty, couldn't bring myself to join the Honda riders club, just riding one brings my sexuality into question enough already.

EJK
12th July 2008, 15:35
I think your time is up so its time to move on yeah Honda...lol by the way found me a Japanese girl yet (I want a nurse:doctor:)?:msn-wink:

It was depends on what bike you bike EJ....mind you I got a 1000cc valued significantly greater than a FXR.

Yeah, only $200 difference between a 150 and a 1000?:crazy:

Zim_Invader
12th July 2008, 19:33
so to list up all the insurance providers worth a look into:

AA,
AMI,
kiwibike ( - swann & state)
HRC

any others i myt have missed. have got some quotes... (not been the most impressive. some random company uoted my premium to be 2200 - :shit: i was like wtf!! that's half my bike! farQ no!)

hehe, so will do more looking

motorbyclist
13th July 2008, 23:59
give protecta a call, they did me a good deal on my learners

EJK
14th July 2008, 02:15
give protecta a call, they did me a good deal on my learners

Yeah they also took $1000 for my excess.... lol

motorbyclist
14th July 2008, 12:38
wtf!? mine was only $500. premium $362 per year. $3000 full cover for a 15 year old learner on an fxr150.

mind you, you've already made a few at fault claims before haven't you?

Zim_Invader
14th July 2008, 17:27
so far:
hondasure = $332/year (incl HRC membership), and insurance up to $5000 coverage, plus claims of up to 5000 in gear! (that's all apparently a rough estimate, and am contacting a person called robyn to confirm it)

protega = $550/yr (up to $4000 coverage)
kiwibike1 = $530/yr (covers up to $4000)
kiwibike2 = $580/yr (covers $5000) <--- obviously i'd opt for this of teh 2 options.

and waiting on the others still.

but from the honda sure one, i'm thinking what'll beat that!??!

shingo
14th July 2008, 17:55
The estimate for hondasure sounds about right as it is a little below what i payed for my insurance and my bike is for $6500. I am a bit surprised that the price includes the HRC membership as i had to pay extra for my membership.

The deal killers for me is the excess they charge. It's all good in having a low premium, but if your have to pay a grand or more excess it eliminates the fact that the premium is cheap.

I know the excess for hondasure will be $550, but if all the others are above that then hondasure will be the way to go.

Zim_Invader
14th July 2008, 23:37
The estimate for hondasure sounds about right as it is a little below what i payed for my insurance and my bike is for $6500. I am a bit surprised that the price includes the HRC membership as i had to pay extra for my membership.

The deal killers for me is the excess they charge. It's all good in having a low premium, but if your have to pay a grand or more excess it eliminates the fact that the premium is cheap.

I know the excess for hondasure will be $550, but if all the others are above that then hondasure will be the way to go.

prces mus have gone up. think this was posted up end of last year. the actual figures for hondasure were:

for up to $5000 insurance;
$280/ yr = premium
$45/yr membership
$250 = excess (of first claim - guess the rest go up to 550)
*includes rider development days
*includes 5000 towards new gear/ "replacement riding gear".

so yeah, that's where got the figures from. - kinda forgot the actual 280 value, when i listed out the prices, but knew it came up to about 330 including the membership....kinda stuck in the memory for some reason)

motorbyclist
15th July 2008, 02:08
damn that hondasure deal sounds great!

EJK
15th July 2008, 03:14
wtf!? mine was only $500. premium $362 per year. $3000 full cover for a 15 year old learner on an fxr150.

mind you, you've already made a few at fault claims before haven't you?

Nah when was on my first claim.

Premium of $420 (Thats Auckland City Central for you;))
$3700 full cover for 18 year old learner
20% excess of the value covered + Learner/ Restricted license of $250

EJK
15th July 2008, 03:14
prces mus have gone up. think this was posted up end of last year. the actual figures for hondasure were:

$280/ yr = premium
$45/yr membership

so yeah, that's where got the figures from. - kinda forgot the actual 280 value, when i listed out the prices, but knew it came up to about 330 including the membership....kinda stuck in the memory for some reason)

Thats nice.... :eek:
Aargh! Insurance hates me. I KNOW! It's cause I'm an Asian rider! :bs:

shingo
15th July 2008, 11:53
prices mus have gone up. think this was posted up end of last year. the actual figures for hondasure were:

$280/ yr = premium
$45/yr membership

They add $300 for riders under 25, hence the $550 excess.

motorbyclist
16th July 2008, 00:53
fuck. just had a read of my policy

excess in single vehicle accident is 25% of sum insured (not sum payed out)

that was all good when my cover was $2500, but in february i increased it to $4500 and forgot the excess would go with it.....

PirateJafa
16th July 2008, 05:34
Gotta love the fine print huh!