PDA

View Full Version : Really Easy help wanted, gsxf 250

jade
13th July 2008, 17:41
Hey guys well I have just arrived in Sydney and didnt think I was going to be able to have a bike while im here, but my flatmate has a 1993 Suzuki gsxf Across 250, He crashed it the other night so I have picked it up for cheap, He went down on the left side and the engine cover rubbed all the way through and leaked the oil out - All I really need is one of them and its good to go - am I right in thinking that it is an alternator cover ? or should I ask the wrecker for a left hand side engine cover ?
Its the bit that the fairing is cut around and is black with SUZUKI written on it
also, when topping up the engine oil again do I just pour it into the engine cover on the right side like my aprillia ?
This is my first four stroke

MSTRS
14th July 2008, 09:11
Left side engine crankshaft cover...I believe it will be the alternator side.
When you remove it, be sure to remove all traces of alloy shavings etc that will be scattered around inside there. Drain what's left of the oil (17mm bolt underneath gearbox, probably in the centre/lowest point). To be on the safe side, do the filter as well. Replace bolt and refill oil through the right side.

jade
14th July 2008, 20:13
Thanx John, so just to be sure, when you say drain whats left of the oil, thats the 17mm bolt.. on the right hand side right ? under where Im gonna pour it into
Im pretty sure it is, I just wasnt sure if gearbox oil and engine oil are different

MSTRS
15th July 2008, 08:57
Thanx John, so just to be sure, when you say drain whats left of the oil, thats the 17mm bolt.. on the right hand side right ? under where Im gonna pour it into
Im pretty sure it is, I just wasnt sure if gearbox oil and engine oil are different

Not sure of actual position of the drain bolt. It is likely to be the only (large) bolt on the underside of the casings. Engine and gearbox oil is altogether.

Hoon
15th July 2008, 10:20
If the hole is small, for a cheap fix you can just fill it in with Knead-It putty, wipe the inside out and top it back up with oil.

MSTRS
15th July 2008, 10:33
The Across is the 4 cyl engine. I have been trying to find specs on it, but no luck. Is it the same engine as the GSX Katana? If so, I can help more if needed.

geoffm
15th July 2008, 21:06
Might be the same motor as the 250 Bandit, which also ma share parts with the 400.
I would weld it up and change the oil.

fridayflash
15th July 2008, 21:21
pretty much the same engine as the bandit,katana and early gsxr 250
and externaly similar to the bandit,katana,impulse and early
gsxr400 engines,im currently working on an across in my shed at the
moment,and if you look under the left hand side of the motor
youll see the drain bolt right away (17mm as mstrs said)
id just tig weld it or nead it if poss,then fresh oil;)