PDA

View Full Version : What octane should be used

Staplez
17th July 2008, 14:37
Hi all i'm new to the pocket bike scene. So i've bought myself a cheapy chinessey to get started and have a little fun. What octane fuel should I be using 91, 95 or 98? Avgas? :P i can get that if its ok for it... but I would guess it isn't

Thanks

grantman
17th July 2008, 19:28
I'm still new to the sport but my understanding is 95 octane or higher
make sure you use a good synthetic oil (25/1 ratio)

Thats about as much as I know
The others on here know alot more than me

Hope weather holds out for Sat

Gadgit
17th July 2008, 19:51
Good advice Grantman
95-98 is good for most bikes av-gas is only good for high compression engines ... which a standed engine isnt, so all good

CookMySock
18th July 2008, 16:33
theres a stock-car maniac down the road from me, and he swears "avgas is really hard on engines". I dunno jack about it - just passing on words from someone who knows.

DB

Gadgit
18th July 2008, 20:08
Av gas has a lead content so good for the engine (valve seat ression, lubrication) but 100+octain not really required for low compression engines... as the flash point of the fuel is timmed by the octain so 91 berns fast and 100 berns slower but the power given from the fuel differs also... tunning is required to run higher octain fuel as you want the flame propagation period to occure about 10deg after topdead center (which on a std engine 95-98 gives).... I would stick to Pump gas on a std engine.

CB ARGH
18th July 2008, 20:41
When I had the old 43cc scooter I just used 91. I didn't really give a shit about the engine since the whole thing was worth bout $300 new. Yeah, it pinged, plunked, banged and smoked like a bastard (so much that an old man put a cloth over his face as I rode past BAHAHA), but the thing did perfect at full revvs, no tacho but I can imagine it'd be around 6000 RPM... hooooon

To answer your question in one sentence. I don't know jack about octanes. I will with the CBR though, but if you get a cheap chinese import then really I wouldn't worry, just get the cheapest. :argue: