PDA

View Full Version : AUSA Grants Round 2

Squiggles
18th July 2008, 11:32
Next week, in addition to the signup stand, applications close for round 2 of the grants (on wednesday, the next lot is not until late september), any thoughts on what we should apply for?

I planned on reapplying for the rrrs course grant, just incase we want to send others on the course (grants are valid for a year)

Trackday anybody?

We have to word the application so it comes under one of their "themes"

Grants Programme Funding Themes

As mentioned in the Introduction, AUSA Clubs and Societies Grants aim to resource active, diverse and inclusive clubs to facilitate an enriched campus community, to encourage students to achieve a broad spectrum of experience and to encourage a sense of visible culture, social and ethnic diversity as well as sporting excellence and participation on campus.

For clubs looking to apply for a Grant, they can fulfil this requirement by showing they satisfy one (or more) of the following themes:

Theme One: Encouraging Diversity and Inclusion
The university is a diverse institution with students from a wide range of backgrounds and ethnicities. Applications under this Theme are expected to demonstrate how they will encourage and reflect this diversity and promote the concept of inclusion. Applications are particularly welcome from clubs representing marginalised or excluded groups.

Theme Two: Creating a Visible Culture
Linked to Theme One, this Theme looks to support clubs to promote cultural awareness and understanding.

Theme Three: Developing Sporting Excellence and Participation
Auckland University has a proud tradition of sporting excellence. Support will be given to clubs that continue that tradition, through the support for the costs of training, participation, and awareness-raising of the benefits of sport to the student population.

Note: only applications that can clearly demonstrate how they contribute towards one or more of these Themes will be considered.

For rrrs we put:

The Auckland University Scooter and Motorcycle Club would like to apply for a grant to help fund a rider training session with Ride Right, Ride Safe. This training comes under the theme of Developing Sporting Excellence and Participation. Aimed at improving the practical skills of riders of all abilities, the course is a full day, hands on event designed to help riders meet the day to day challenges of motorcycling both in the city and on the open road. Many of our members commute into University each day and with winter’s inclement weather nearing it is vital that they understand how to manage the risks associated with their sport as well as the many benefits that it offers.
Ride Right Ride Safe is administered by BRONZ (Bikers’ Rights of New Zealand) and the course itself is run by trained volunteers. As such, the cost per person for this training is extremely low, with the fee of $50 per person being used solely to hire the venue (Whenuapai air base, 8.30am-5.30pm).
As a hands on course, this is far more relevant to motorcyclists than the alternative offered by the AA, Defensive Driving. Not only do participants learn to identify potentially hazardous situations, they are also taught strategies for dealing with them should they occur eg. A car pulling out in front of a bike, gravel on a corner. Such strategies could potentially save the lives of our members.
We expect that participants in the course will gain the skills required to become safer riders around town and also that the risk factor of events such as group rides would be diminished as a greater number of riders would have formal training and therefore the overall level of skill higher. Participation in such group rides is at the core to the social side of the club. Riders who feel more confident of their own abilities are more likely to attend, and therefore the Ride Right Rode Safe course would make for a safer, more inclusive environment all round.

BANZAI
18th July 2008, 22:10
Howbout Dirt Bike lesson(if such thing exists) or dirt track day.

Since most dirt people say things learnt in dirt will be helpful on road too so why not all SMC rider's have a go?

(Andrew when can I goto your place to try yours?)

klyong82
18th July 2008, 22:22
Build some secured motorcycle parking at AUT? :wari:

Squiggles
19th July 2008, 00:02
Howbout Dirt Bike lesson(if such thing exists) or dirt track day.

Since most dirt people say things learnt in dirt will be helpful on road too so why not all SMC rider's have a go?

I dont know of any that exist, where they supply the bikes at least...

The trick is justifying anything we put foward, i've started trying to write the blurb for a trackday :headbang:

insane1
19th July 2008, 00:24
i"ll be the first to take mine round the track .

PirateJafa
19th July 2008, 00:28
Dibs on taking the loaner bike around the track!

motorbyclist
19th July 2008, 01:34
We have to word the application so it comes under one of their "themes"

Theme One: Encouraging Diversity and Inclusion
The university is a diverse institution with students from a wide range of backgrounds and ethnicities. Applications under this Theme are expected to demonstrate how they will encourage and reflect this diversity and promote the concept of inclusion. Applications are particularly welcome from clubs representing marginalised or excluded groups.

bikers are marginalised, and we are a pretty diverse bunch, as are our bikes

furthermore, pocket rocketing doesn't discriminate, and even the short asian riders can join in :bleh:

Theme Two: Creating a Visible Culture
Linked to Theme One, this Theme looks to support clubs to promote cultural awareness and understanding.

pocket rockets riding around uni in wedge formation would promote cultural awareness of biker culture, and when they see the huge grins on all our faces it'd also promote understanding:D

Theme Three: Developing Sporting Excellence and Participation
Auckland University has a proud tradition of sporting excellence. Support will be given to clubs that continue that tradition, through the support for the costs of training, participation, and awareness-raising of the benefits of sport to the student population.

motorsport is a sport! pocket rockets can be considered to be a motor sport!
MOAR pocket rocket drag races on alfred st!

i think it's pretty clear what we need to apply for 30 or so of.... plus expected growth;)

I dont know of any that exist, where they supply the bikes at least...
alot of the big trail rides have quite a few demo bikes... even scout jamborees in the past have secured double digit numbers of demo bikes/quads

didn't Don say something a while back about running a dirt demo up on muriwai beach?

motorbyclist
19th July 2008, 02:00
LOL

(see pic)

:rofl:

Slyer
19th July 2008, 02:09
I'm liking motorbizzle

ital916
19th July 2008, 10:27
you've only just now found the joy of gizoogle? haha

TOTO