PDA

View Full Version : Film extras wanted

Squiggles
24th July 2008, 18:17
To whom it may concern,

We are a Ponsonby located extras agency who are currently casting for the new tele-feature, LIFE'S A RIOT due to screen on TV1 (Sunday Theatre) early next year. The story is set in the slums of Auckland during the depression (1931) and focusses on the Edwards family, more particularly, Jim Edwards, the man inadvertantly responsible for starting the Queen Street riots - the greatest riot in New Zealand's history.

We are on the hunt for slim, european men aged 18-70 to be a part of the famous riot scene. Filming will take place on a Sunday on Queen Street in early September.

If you can organise a group of say 20 guys for the riot scene (that fit the above description) we can donate $500 to your club.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks and regards

Becky Smith
TALENT AGENT

Jimmy Edwards is turning 14. He lives in the direst poverty, sensitive to the constant, grinding pettiness of those who dispense charity. He is the oldest in the family, with five brothers and two sisters. He and his brothers hawk a household cleanser round the slum streets of their neighbourhood. The cleanser is a bizarre concoction made up in a bathtub by his unemployed father and packed into old tin cans fossicked from the dump.

His father has another way of raising the readies. He's a sly-grogger. Every night he brings home the wretched of the earth, hangmen and hangers-on, "Snuffy" Wilson, "Squeaker" Dudley, "Hellfire" Dave, "The Shaker". All are unemployed. All believe New Zealand is about to undergo a total collapse and then a re-birth. And the mid-wife of that re-birth, they tell young James, will be his father. In the meantime—they can always buy a beer off his dad after closing time…

Jimmy is caught up in all of this. He loves the anarchy of it, the grogging, the songs, the outlandish yarns, and all of it surging around its center-piece—his father. He loves the old hymns his father sings, the oratory, relics of a Salvation Army past. And out on the streets Jimmy sees it's his father who's cock of the walk, it's his father who's raised high at public meetings to proclaim the revolution and bring hope to the hopeless, it's his father whom some police want arrested and others respect.

On top of escalating unemployment comes the news that the government of Prime Minister Forbes and Deputy PM Coates is to cut the wages of all those in public employment. The announcement is a lightning rod for all, employed and jobless. Jimmy witnesses plans for a great march through the main city. The march will start a rising culminating in the poor finally taking power away from the rich. The world's wealth for the world's workers.

April, 1932. The great, silent march, tens of thousands strong, move up Queen Street. It reaches the Town Hall. At the front of the unemployed is Jimmy's father. Jimmy is with him. Rows of police refuse the unemployed entry to the Town Hall. Tension rises. James is caught up in the swirling crowds. Jimmy's father hauls himself up to address the marchers. A policeman who'd vowed to get him off the streets batons him to the ground. Jimmy hears the cry, "They've killed Jim Edwards! They've killed Jim Edwards." The marchers rip palings off the fence outside the City Mission opposite the Town Hall, fight it out with police. Others flood down Queen Street, smash in the windows, loot the glittering goods.

Jimmy flees back home, tells his horrified mother. But then, into the house stumble the rioters and looters. They reveal that Jimmy's father survived the batoning, crawled away from the police and is now loose somewhere out in the city, wanted on a charge of being the instigator of the greatest riot in New Zealand history. . . .

Whose keen to earn us some dough?

1. Squiggles

Gubb
24th July 2008, 18:28
How slim is "slim"? I'd be keen to contribute, but i'm certainly not slim.

MattRSK
24th July 2008, 18:32
Hello
I am 6 foot 2 and under the 70 kilo mark, Does that make me slim?
I would be keen, sounds like a bit of fun.

Cheers
Matt

motorbyclist
24th July 2008, 19:01
do we even have that many white guys in the club? most people i've couted at a chiller was 22, and only about 4 of them would fit description.

i'm in if it's worthwhile....

20 guys, minimum 3 hours, that's 60 hours for $500, or $8.33 per hour

from the rates one of my mates gets doing "extra" work, this isn't a huge deal; that scout is probably getting more than we will.... people who sit around cracking up laughing on those TV2 ads got several grand just for a few hours standing around and 10min filming... but i suppose that's marketing not film making

Buster
24th July 2008, 19:09
Im keen as to give it a go. 6ft-85kgs? Pm me with the details if it goes ahead.

All proceeds to KB :yes:

Chrislost
24th July 2008, 19:18
Whose keen to earn us some dough?

1. Squiggles

im in....

fuck yeah im in!
always wanted to riot:headbang:

Patar
24th July 2008, 19:19
oh fuck yes, im in!
185cm 70-75kg

BadCompany
24th July 2008, 19:32
How slim is "slim"? I'd be keen to contribute, but i'm certainly not slim.

At a guess, jobless and undernourished kind of slim.

I'll be keen if I'm not busy.

EDIT: Wait why am I replying to a SMC thing? Bloody RSS feeds. Well if you need the extra numbers I might be available for some rioting :D

rottiguy
24th July 2008, 19:36
does 4 feet high and 5 feet wide cut it :) wouldn't it be better to give the skinny white guys a feed instead of a donation, they will only blow it on booze or petrol for their mopeds :scooter:

bomma
24th July 2008, 19:54
gimme a couple hours and you can count me in......*looks for the tins of white paint*

klyong82
24th July 2008, 20:23
Since I ain't european plus I wanna be part of the scene...I'll be sure to create some real riot when production starts...

Squiggles
24th July 2008, 20:34
20 guys, minimum 3 hours, that's 60 hours for $500, or $8.33 per hour

from the rates one of my mates gets doing "extra" work, this isn't a huge deal; that scout is probably getting more than we will.... people who sit around cracking up laughing on those TV2 ads got several grand just for a few hours standing around and 10min filming... but i suppose that's marketing not film making

who cares lol, we've stood round doing nothing for more than 3 hours at a time, and that didnt score the club 1/2 a grand or let us riot! :headbang:

thats 9 so far :D

BANZAI
24th July 2008, 21:33
Can you ask them if they are filming Kung-fu movie sometime soon? :bleh:

motorbyclist
24th July 2008, 21:41
who cares lol, we've stood round doing nothing for more than 3 hours at a time, and that didnt score the club 1/2 a grand or let us riot! :headbang:

lol good point

Zim_Invader
24th July 2008, 21:52
does brittish governance count as european, despite me being an indian of african descent...>? ifb thry happy to powder me up and call me british, i'm there for smc (provided timing works). see what they say. (i'm a fair indian, listen to rock and the classics, was in a choir, and play a few instruments... white enough?)
haha. besides... we've always breen around. kim, u too. we make up 2 billion each, trust me, we were there

motorbyclist
24th July 2008, 23:13
what about albinos? do they still have to be european?

how bout we just prepare a tub of bleach?

TOTO
25th July 2008, 00:19
slim .... thats profiling ...

motorbyclist
25th July 2008, 01:46
why only europeans? isn't that excluding certain groups the govt tries so hard to include?

or would a disproportionate amount of certain groups in a riot caused by unemployment be un-PC too?:rolleyes:

Patch
25th July 2008, 05:23
according to a policeman's description I am classed as slim build.
according to the age height weight ratio chart thing, I am obese.

so who knows.

I am guessing, but if you ain't a skinny white runt, you may be out of shot.

PirateJafa
25th July 2008, 05:47
Sounds like Jafa might be useful for something at last.

Slyer
25th July 2008, 08:42
Sign me up.

klyong82
25th July 2008, 09:50
My home country used to be colonized by the British so would that make me european also?

I talk like european, I only eat European, I swear like european....:eek:

Chrislost
25th July 2008, 09:55
why only europeans? isn't that excluding certain groups the govt tries so hard to include?

or would a disproportionate amount of certain groups in a riot caused by unemployment be un-PC too?:rolleyes:

its set in the 1930s fool

cant remember that long ago but im pretty sure that there were not so many asains/indians/arabs here then as there is now...

ehab2weelr
25th July 2008, 10:25
what are the chances that i could pass as a European after all know one really can say that the middle east is not European or African or even Asian im sure i could pass as any one of the three? :2thumbsup
hahah

ManDownUnder
25th July 2008, 10:40
They want a riot on Queen Street? Surely they'd have Dave Dobbins number somewhere...

klyong82
25th July 2008, 12:16

cant remember that long ago but im pretty sure that there were not so many asains/indians/arabs here then as there is now...

Not sure about Auckland but back then chinese from Asia were brought in to work in the gold mines.....

Chrislost
25th July 2008, 12:51
Not sure about Auckland but back then chinese from Asia were brought in to work in the gold mines.....

% wise, im sure i am right.
numberwise im DEFINATLY right...

hence why they want europeans for the riot.

whats your point?

klyong82
25th July 2008, 15:00
% wise, im sure i am right.
numberwise im DEFINATLY right...

hence why they want europeans for the riot.

whats your point?

I am just trying to be a smart arse :stupid:

Hanne
25th July 2008, 16:43
well I got mistaken for a man the other day.
Sure I could pull it off again with the help of some liberally smeared mascara and a ferw socks......

mstriumph
25th July 2008, 16:59
Hello
I am 6 foot 2 and under the 70 kilo mark, Does that make me slim?

no - THAT makes you wafer-thin and wraithlike :mellow:

Slyer
25th July 2008, 18:05
well I got mistaken for a man the other day.
Sure I could pull it off again with the help of some liberally smeared mascara and a ferw socks......

While wearing full gear I hope. :P

Cr1MiNaL
25th July 2008, 20:47
EUROPEAN men??? fucking racist pigs lol ;)

PirateJafa
26th July 2008, 13:58
no - THAT makes you wafer-thin and wraithlike :mellow:
Suppose you haven't seen my weedy little 55kg self then? ;)

kave
26th July 2008, 20:39
If you dont have enough weedy europeans I'd be keen. As a bonus I look completely feral and unemployed (unless the wife or the boss bully me into shaving before then).

jafar
26th July 2008, 20:58
I'll come if there is still room.

Squiggles
26th July 2008, 21:08
i've emailed the person who was looking for extras, lets see if we cant get a date ;)

Patar
26th July 2008, 22:08
I wonder if they'll let us keep the outfits, and there damn well better be free tea coffee and biscuits!

Real_Wolf
27th July 2008, 00:37
heh, if needed I might come, depends what I'm doing.

I haven't shaved for a while, mostly due to laziness, and with good hobo gloves I can easily look like a hobo

ozrobo
27th July 2008, 00:41
im keen like the riot idea pm if ya need me do we get to break stuff

motorbyclist
27th July 2008, 18:45

since when did the govt make extra effort for asians/middle easterns? and since when was the stereotype for those groups that of unemployment?

so you'd think there'd be a few minorities, but that wouldn't be PC, but it wont be either way, so they'll just pander to their target audience, and i forsee atleast one idiot making a fuss over it cause it's 'racist' while the rest of us roll our eyes over such trivial matters:whocares: