PDA

View Full Version : Zim'z "To Dos" for the VTR

Zim_Invader
29th July 2008, 00:31
hey all, so now that i've finally got my hands on a 2 wheel, all terrain, transportation device, (aka the Veetrette - yes it's a she), methinks it's tie to add make a thread with all teh things to be done, in order of necessity (or affordability).

1. new tyres! (pair front and back) - $300?

2. tacho! i'm guessing a car tacho could get mounted and do a passable job. saw a few at teh $1 reserve that're worth a think. (what do u reckn?)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Gauges/auction-167211823.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Gauges/auction-168317146.htm

- thing is they say it's suitable for a 2cyliner vehicle (this being a bike, and sadly "just" 2 cylinder, would that mean it's a no go? - or some stupid fineprint that can be ignored?

3. aftermarket muffler. - i believe it was dan, who i met, with the blue vtr. he said he got his for $175. it sounded really grunty! (me likes!)

4. screen/bikinifairing + Belly Pan (or just none of therse, as the before mentioned are more than enough t make me drool), but have seen some with a little screen/bikinifairing, and they did look Shit Hot! so it's a long time away, thought to consider.

any suggestions? (apart from teh neons that i'm sure i saw somewhere on yui's gn list)

PirateJafa
29th July 2008, 05:35
Will car tachos survive the elements? I doubt it.

Get a bike one - it'll be waterproof.

Hold off the noisy muffler for a while - otherwise everyone at the intersection can hear you stall/botch the gear change. ;)

BANZAI
29th July 2008, 08:28
YOU! YOU copycat!!!!!! :2guns::spanking:

If you wanna post "my to do list" thread you gotta have more than 10things that you "want" to do!! :p

I guess we can make this SMC tradition.

Step1. Noob post I want my bike thread.
Step2. Everyone help him/her for more than 40pages to get him/her a bike (It must exceed at least 30pages to have a look at few bikes)
Step3. Noob post my TODO list!!!

Real_Wolf
29th July 2008, 09:14
Heh, my bike sounds beefy without needing a 'cool' muffler. It also smells of gasoline.

I just need my clutch worked on, its very short, the lever wobbles up and down, and the cables need lubing, its a nightmare to pull in but since its a very short clutch don't have to pull it in far

klyong82
29th July 2008, 09:18
More like $400 for tyres.

TOTO
29th July 2008, 09:57
and that car stuff looks crap. get bike gauges or leave the standart ones on.

shingo
29th July 2008, 10:50
Dont bother with those car tachos. For one they are huge, bigger than the speedo on your bike which would make your bike look crap, and as jafa said they arent designed to be used outside of a vehicle. If you want one that bad get a digital one that doesnt stand out too much.

IMO screens on vtr's look ugly hence why i no longer use my one. The only thing needed to make them look better is a new header and pipe to get rid of the crap looking stock setup.

Krayy
29th July 2008, 11:38
Tachos are for pussies. Listen to your bike, learn where it runs out of puff in each gear (on my VTR250 its 80km/h in 2nd, 110 in 3rd, 140 in 4th) then ride it to the limit when you need to.

The VTR engine will happily sit at near top revs all day with no complaints and theres no way you can overrev it. Going round the coro loop on the VTR is great fun (any ride is for that matter), and since you have to rev the hell out of it to keep up with the sixes, a tacho will be of little use. Just change gear when you need to. And when you hit a big hill like the climb out of Coromandel towards Whitianga, throw it in 2nd and pin the throttle. Great fun.

Phurrball
29th July 2008, 11:39
Aye, $400 for decent rubber. I rate our VTR's Avon Roadriders most highly!

Don't panic too much about a tacho - it has a rev limiter doesn't it? :2thumbsup: There's a digital tacho on ours, but after riding it for a while you hardly look - the bike will let you know what you need to know by how she sounds and feels.

shingo
29th July 2008, 14:26
Aye, $400 for decent rubber. I rate our VTR's Avon Roadriders most highly!

I got a set of pilot activs for $350, could have also got some battleax's for the same price. Just need to keep an eye on the cycletreads vip deals, they seem to do 15% off certain road tyres quite regularly.

Real_Wolf
29th July 2008, 18:32
I amend my previous post, i get the feeling my alternator is fairly broken

Squiggles
29th July 2008, 18:35
I amend my previous post, i get the feeling my alternator is fairly broken

out with the multimeter then

motorbyclist
29th July 2008, 18:40
whatever you do DON'T buy on of those wanky boy racer tachos

they won't be waterproof
they will look stupid
they don't go high enough (i'd imagine the vtr does over 11krpm before redline)
probably nigh on impossible to mount

just listen and feel the bike, you'll soon figure out why i suggested the VTR;)

edit: and don't get a shiny pipe for 6 months, or atleast till the tyres are new. it's not like you need the performance and i'd hate to see it scratched

bomma
29th July 2008, 18:46
vtr = sexxxy

good choice on bike and a +1 to all those that say you dont need a tacho...there's a reason it didnt come with one....trust in honda :niceone:

shingo
29th July 2008, 19:10
...there's a reason it didnt come with one....trust in honda :niceone:

So why does mine have one then? :scratch:

bomma
29th July 2008, 19:14

guess they realised that the human population as a whole was becoming increasingly retarted so in an effort to quell any resulting hysteria within the population over the lack of a tacho, honda chucked one on :clap:

Patar
29th July 2008, 22:51
guess they realised that the human population as a whole was becoming increasingly retarted so in an effort to quell any resulting hysteria within the population over the lack of a tacho, honda chucked one on :clap:

to be fair, if a vtr doesn't have a pipe on it sounds fairly gutless and can be hard to hear what the engine is doing.
That said when out on a ride I prefer putting ear plugs in, some reason to me I am a lot more in tune with what the bike is doing and how the engine is performing.

Also since we're talking about vtr's, why does my 5th gear not want to pull me to higher speeds than my 4th gear? It just seems to run out of steam when i click it into 5th... i do 140 in 4th and then that's about it, 5th doesn't pull any more, maybe it's wind :scratch:

Zim_Invader
29th July 2008, 23:26
haha, sorry yui. couldn't let an awesome thing pass, like a list of suggestions. it'll never match the cool things u got lined up for the ginny and her cafe racer future, but it was worth an add.. haha. if anything, a nice little digital tacho would be cool to have (*but not urgent). i know what u mean by "listen to it, and u'll know". driven enough manual cars to know when. it may just have been a cosmetic thing, and that driving cars for this long, it feels odd not having one. just me i guess. haha. yea, first up, the tyres. (mayb now my sister wil be happy to cough up some cash! would always be appreciated! ).

all in all, at some point the heaadlights will prob change. maybe pop on a dual headlight instead of the single chunky monkey there. (or really go hard and try and mount the headlight of a ducatti monster onto it... the diamond-like shape. (u know which one i mean, right?)

exhaust, will come with time... when i can afford it i guess, which won't be soon. haha. so don't frett there andrew.

on an awesome little sidenote. i did my first, very brief, but passable, burnout today!!!! haha. 2 things that helped it tho.wet (enough) tyres, and low thread. but, don't worry, it's not something to be done on a regular basis. was more learn, and know that i know. haha.

so, all that being said... only uestion that remains is, how long can we get this thread going??? (:devil2: Muhuhuhahaha!)

motorbyclist
29th July 2008, 23:31
Also since we're talking about vtr's, why does my 5th gear not want to pull me to higher speeds than my 4th gear? It just seems to run out of steam when i click it into 5th... i do 140 in 4th and then that's about it, 5th doesn't pull any more, maybe it's wind :scratch:

now i could go into the power/torque output curves against vehicle velocity in different gears, but how bout we just think of 5th gear as an overdrive. it's just there for fuel economy at 110kph, to help reliability as the engine won't be revving so high when you're cruising along, and to stop mass hysteria induced by a 4 speed gearbox. they have to have it or no-one will buy it. reckoning the tacho was them pushing the boundaries and learning a bit.

back in '03 yamaha learnt this the hard way and got pwned for their first YZ450F cause it was only 3 speed. sure it only really needed 2 gears but the market insisted on the dead weight of a full 5...

bomma
29th July 2008, 23:37
to be fair, if a vtr doesn't have a pipe on it sounds fairly gutless and can be hard to hear what the engine is doing.

agree with fairly gutless part, the standard can doesnt do ya any favours but will definately have to disagree on the second part....the vtr tells you exactly what the engine is doing....you know which gear you are in and each gear is very VERY distinct (well that's what my vtr was like) makes it a very easy bike to learn on....

i found the same with mine (except 5th got me 5-8 more kms provided it was flat or slight gradient in my favour)....think it was made simply as a gas saving feature so one can commute/do 100kms/h at relatively lower revs

Zim_Invader
30th July 2008, 00:10
as far as i o, i'm more than sure i won't be going above 80, for a long long time. (esp wit the weather like this). so a top speed of 140 is plenty for me. i don't even do that in a car (for fear of a speeding ticket). murphey's law, the day u decide to test out the "top speed" of a vehicle, a copwill decide to have his donut break around the corner! mayb a cheap radar is in order?!?

motorbyclist
30th July 2008, 00:40
every time i look at buying a radar i can't make up my mind, give up after a week as i cbf keeping it from being stolen etc, and sure enough 2 days later i'll regret not buying it.

so i just don't bother looking anymore;)

BANZAI
30th July 2008, 07:27
(mayb now my sister wil be happy to cough up some cash! would always be appreciated! ).

Make sure you get little VTR first $200!!! :msn-wink:

Zim_Invader
28th August 2008, 00:09
haha. been a while since i was up on this page. so in that time... i've had the tyres changed, and a new set of sprockets and a flashy new xring chain... 1 tooth more on teh back and in teh last 2 days i've been going ballistic... soo much moore toooorqeeu!!!!
haha.... i looovve it! andrew, your call on bikes is now list topper in my eyes! can't ever imagine selling the vtr now! a muffler is now all that's left. saw a nice little tacho at cycletreads for 100. it was small, and would do the job. but no longer care (much) about it. haha. too excited about riding around to care... btu it would be nice to know where teh rev counter would be sitting normally....

in the hols will get in touch with dan (via kyle) about this muffler... was quoted a very hefty $400 when i went to enquire. from what dan said, this is a bit... steep. so muffler's on hold.

now for uploading pics.... (meh, most of u have already seen the bike now, so are well aware of what it looks like now.... )

motorbyclist
28th August 2008, 00:30
heheh, never underestimate trademe. used to have quite a good range of $200 - $400 aftermarktet mufflers, but still has a few good buys.

just be extra sure what you want can be easily fitted, and watch out that opening her up doesn't come at the expense of low down torque. stock mufflers are finely tuned things, so make sure the carbies get looked at once the new pipe is on if you want maximum benefit :)

auction-173130593 - good for dushi this one (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173130593.htm)
auction-173074669 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173074669.htm)
auction-172959694 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-172959694.htm)
auction-172825438 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-172825438.htm)
auction-172333373 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-172333373.htm)
auction-172923480 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-172923480.htm)

or just make one that can be tuned after it's attached;)

Patar
28th August 2008, 00:38
The universal mufflers are probably what you're looking for as a relatively inexpensive option. Swing by mt eden, they've got them there.

I was lucky and bought my bike with a muffler already on it, which i found out costs $600AUS O.o

BANZAI
28th August 2008, 00:41
I havent updated my thread too!!!!

Hmmm any cheap triumph-lookalike exhaust for GN? :p

Zim_Invader
28th August 2008, 00:56
first one that andrew posted buddy.... from the description, it fits all your wants, and apparently it's pretty loud... "There is no refund if your WOF people or the police in there wisdom decide they are too noisy."

for 85, it's fairly priced, adn the guys at the place we checked out quoted 25 to install it.... so can't be all that bad, now can it... though i wonder it they'd be happy installing a muffler they didn't make themselves..... worth an ask in any case.

Patar
28th August 2008, 14:48
first one that andrew posted buddy.... from the description, it fits all your wants, and apparently it's pretty loud... "There is no refund if your WOF people or the police in there wisdom decide they are too noisy."

for 85, it's fairly priced, adn the guys at the place we checked out quoted 25 to install it.... so can't be all that bad, now can it... though i wonder it they'd be happy installing a muffler they didn't make themselves..... worth an ask in any case.

I don't see why not, but I suspect it would be more expensive for one that isn't theirs.
That said, exhausts are fairly easy, especially if it's a slip on. Unfortunately on a vtr the pipe has to be cut and the aftermarket one can then be slipped on.

2wheeljunkie
28th August 2008, 14:49

where u find that?

JimO
28th August 2008, 15:25

becuse yours is newer

shingo
28th August 2008, 15:31
becuse yours is newer

I know that, but if you read back through the thread you will see why i asked the question :yes:

motorbyclist
30th August 2008, 20:58
I was lucky and bought my bike with a muffler already on it, which i found out costs $600AUS O.o

lol when i got my dirtbike it cost $4k including spares - and the $1800 exhaust fitted :D

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 02:04
trademe used to have quite a good range of $200 - $400 aftermarktet mufflers

looks like the dodgy asian guy has got a fresh shipment:D

iridium (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815305.htm) (bigger: 530mm long , 120mm diameter , 52mm inlet)
blue (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815260.htm) (big)
gold (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815350.htm) (smaller: 480mm long , 100mm diameter , 52mm inlet )
black (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815385.htm) (small)
red (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815710.htm) (small)

Squiggles
2nd September 2008, 13:43
I saw tacho's like the one Ross has at Red Baron for ~330 yesterday

Zim_Invader
3rd September 2008, 00:06
330!!!??? wow. a bit steep, but do-able. they r compact, and do the job.... wonder if dushi can o us a pretty little 40% discount???? mayb?

Zim_Invader
3rd September 2008, 21:17
looks like the dodgy asian guy has got a fresh shipment:D

iridium (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815305.htm) (bigger: 530mm long , 120mm diameter , 52mm inlet)
blue (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815260.htm) (big)
gold (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815350.htm) (smaller: 480mm long , 100mm diameter , 52mm inlet )
black (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815385.htm) (small)
red (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Exhaust/auction-173815710.htm) (small)

i reckon i may just go for one of these if i can't get that other one sorted with dan. what do u guys think about the whole colour coding? (too boy-racer?) either black, silver or red.... (again, if the other one with dan doesn't get done soon).

Patar
4th September 2008, 00:36
Swing by Mt. Eden Motorcycles, they have a universal can for $200 iirc and it's carbon fibre (don't know if it's genuine cf or not)

Zim_Invader
20th September 2008, 00:24
Swing by Mt. Eden Motorcycles, they have a universal can for $200 iirc and it's carbon fibre (don't know if it's genuine cf or not)

sad as i am that they denied all possibility of having any universal cans that have a cf look, at 200 bucks, i gotta say seeing that many beautiful bikes, in the most glorious shinyness they'll ever have ...all them kawasakis!... :drool:

well, yea, was gutted. the didn't have any. they said the cheapest one was $400. kinda killed the atmosphere, but meh, such is life.

as for the tacho, i've found a brand that makes the stuff similar to ross' one. "shindy". but they're expensive. there's also a few blingy ones out there too! but i'm happy to let those slide by. saw one going fairly cheap on ebay i think. a generic one, but seemed to be capable of doing the job - only prob with the generic is that there could just as easily be a lot of problems involved too. (so have decided, screw the tacho for now, and get the muffler done. thereafter, i'm after teh ducati monster's bbikini fairing (saw one on a bandit... maaannn it looked GOOD!!!

so, with that in mind, i've got a couple of things up to do. hopefully themuffler will be sorted soon enough. only thing there is the "retuning". how necessary is it, how expensive, and what oes it involve? (dyno testing and calibration or a lot more simple?

motorbyclist
20th September 2008, 00:38
a lot more simple

Zim_Invader
20th September 2008, 00:46
a lot more simple

+1 haha... i liked that reply. short, sweet n to the point! (plus it made me laugh... shoosh u ppl. my humour is mine alone. i don't plan to to share it :p)

Patar
22nd September 2008, 22:56
nah i'm sure they have a universal muffler that's rather cheap. they tried to sell me on one when some cunt took out my $700 cf exhaust.
i could have sworn it wasn't 400, 300 max but i have been drinking so who knows.

oh and don't get the bike serviced. if it works leave it the fuck alone.
I just had mine in for a service and i thought i'd treat her to a carb clean and balance, talk about pain in the arse as my fuel tap decides to go lame and leak, making me go to wwh to get it fixed and then it still not being fixed because of a miniscule piece of aluminium covering a tiny hole in the fuel tap. ARGH!

if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Zim_Invader
22nd September 2008, 23:30
cheers buddy! yea, have decided to flag them, and am now waiting for word back from the guys at neptune exhausts in wellington. i lost one of their bids for an ex-demo exhaust (they are changin the look of their mufflers), a steal too, at 250. well, missed tht one, and so they said they'll have a look at a few f the one's with minor scratches, that they've had to put aside, as obviously they can't give that to some1 that pays full price. (man, hope that made sense - dam genetics test, took away all ability to reason!)..

so, what i mean is, i'm gonna find out if i can get a cheap one from them (minor scratch here or there won't kill me.. i'm after teh sound. looks are a bonus). and i'm gonna get in touch with the guy that custom builds, here in kelston. - think they're called virgin muffler. apparently he did isaac's hornet's for just over 300. if that's all he charged, installed, then it can't be that bad for a 250's one. they sound bloody loud, and are chrome, so shine, umm... a bit.:clap:... we'll see what he quotes for me.

as for the carbie and re-jetting. u reckon leave it be.... then i suppose it'll be left as is, after installation. thanks again mate. u're legend for that post!

motorbyclist
23rd September 2008, 00:06
oh and don't get the bike serviced. if it works leave it the fuck alone.
if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

ffs

there's a difference between a service and getting the fuel mix right, and yes mechanics are useless that's why we have the fix it days ;)

if the mix ain't right he may burn valves, be prone to overheating, maybe even sieze. either way he'll be suffering less performance (at least in the bottom end) until it's all sorted

that said he may get away with it for a year before problems arise that he notices, but trust me i've played with these things and they do make a difference if they aren't right

apparently he did isaac's hornet's for just over 300. if that's all he charged, installed, then it can't be that bad for a 250's one. they sound bloody loud, and are chrome, so shine, umm... a bit.:clap:... we'll see what he quotes for me.

250 or 900 a muffler will cost the same to make - the big cost difference will be only having to join two pipes rather than four

as for the carbie and re-jetting. u reckon leave it be.... then i suppose it'll be left as is, after installation. thanks again mate. u're legend for that post!

just because he said what you wanted to hear doesn't make him right:Pokey:

you'll thank me when your bike isn't broken (well no you wont cause you won't know, but if you ignore me and bike breaks i'll be the first to say i told ya so;) and i'll have yet another anecdote)

Zim_Invader
23rd September 2008, 00:43
ffs

there's a difference between a service and getting the fuel mix right, and yes mechanics are useless that's why we have the fix it days ;)

if the mix ain't right he may burn valves, be prone to overheating, maybe even sieze. either way he'll be suffering less performance (at least in the bottom end) until it's all sorted

that said he may get away with it for a year before problems arise that he notices, but trust me i've played with these things and they do make a difference if they aren't right

just because he said what you wanted to hear doesn't make him right:Pokey:

you'll thank me when your bike isn't broken (well no you wont cause you won't know, but if you ignore me and bike breaks i'll be the first to say i told ya so;) and i'll have yet another anecdote)

point taken. and taken to memory well. it'll put some more time between now and the day teh muffler is installed (as im gonna have to afford the servicing. which i fine, as it'll give me more experience time. so i am less likely to drop the bike and ruin an otherwise pretty muffler.). cheers andrew. don't want my bike dying on me... i'll shout u a round this friday at the chiller. advice that's needed to be repeated is owed a drink. (lookin out for the newbs, = upgrade to 3 drinks!). either way. thanks man. will def get it done properly.

motorbyclist
23rd September 2008, 00:51
as i've said many times before there's three things to go about things:

What the Proper way - welding & bolts

What you can get away with - blu tack & chewing gum

What you actually do in practice - duct tape & cable ties

try to keep the last one somewhere between the other two and you'll be ok :)

Patar
23rd September 2008, 09:52
ffs

I actually never said anything about not getting the jetting done, it was a drunken rant relating to the fact that as soon as I decide to get my carbs balanced that my fuel tap starts being gay.

That said, rejetting should be done to actually get the benefit of having a new muffler put on, and some blah blah about protecting your engine or summat.

bungbung
23rd September 2008, 10:22
FYI,

I met a German fella named Tim a few weeks back. He had a silver vtr with a cycleworks pipe on it. It sounded absolutely awesome, the best 250 twin I've heard yet. As a comparison, there was a hyosung 250 with a carbon pipe on it that sounded like arse.

Give cycleworks a call.

Patar
23rd September 2008, 11:52
FYI,

I met a German fella named Tim a few weeks back. He had a silver vtr with a cycleworks pipe on it. It sounded absolutely awesome, the best 250 twin I've heard yet. As a comparison, there was a hyosung 250 with a carbon pipe on it that sounded like arse.

Give cycleworks a call.

How dare you compare a vtr to a hyobag :Oi:

motorbyclist
23rd September 2008, 12:17
FYI,

Give cycleworks a call.

haha yeah we have a club member with a vtr that sounds better than most SVs with pipes

2wheeljunkie
23rd September 2008, 12:28
haha yeah we have a club member with a vtr that sounds better than most SVs with pipes

i think shingo and dan need to put up a vid wit sound of their bikes to let everyone hear it now that you've mentioned it..:niceone:

shingo
23rd September 2008, 18:02
i think shingo and dan need to put up a vid wit sound of their bikes to let everyone hear it now that you've mentioned it..:niceone:

I'll be getting a new pipe on monday when the repairs get done for my insurance claim. I would take a recording of what it sounds like now but i dont have anything decent to record it with, though it will be interesting to find out how different the neptune pipe im getting will sound.

Patar
23rd September 2008, 18:34
I'll be getting a new pipe on monday when the repairs get done for my insurance claim. I would take a recording of what it sounds like now but i dont have anything decent to record it with, though it will be interesting to find out how different the neptune pipe im getting will sound.

you were at the rrrs course a couple months back no?

Because I heard your bike today on symonds st. and it sounded pretty much the same as I recall, but it has been some time.

When some cunt took out my pipe, a hole was punched into the back of it so, at least to me, it was a lot louder but didn't sound as nice.

What happened to yours?

bounce
23rd September 2008, 18:48
am now waiting for word back from the guys at neptune exhausts in wellington. i lost one of their bids for an ex-demo exhaust (they are changin the look of their mufflers),

go the neptunes!! :headbang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrBycoeFuIQ
(yeah yeah, no comments about riding in t-shirt pls I have full kit now)
good luck with the project mate.

shingo
23rd September 2008, 18:58
you were at the rrrs course a couple months back no?

Because I heard your bike today on symonds st. and it sounded pretty much the same as I recall, but it has been some time.

When some cunt took out my pipe, a hole was punched into the back of it so, at least to me, it was a lot louder but didn't sound as nice.

What happened to yours?

Yeah that was me.

It only has a couple small dents on the side and a very minor scuff mark, but insurance is buying me a new one so i ain't complaining, specially if it sounds like the one in the vid above.

motorbyclist
23rd September 2008, 22:35
but the old one is worth more than the new one!

why aren't they replacing the old pipe with the same part?

and what are they doing with all the chrome pipes?

shingo
23rd September 2008, 23:10
but the old one is worth more than the new one!

why aren't they replacing the old pipe with the same part?

and what are they doing with all the chrome pipes?

I have priced up the old setup i have and it was worth about $800NZ for the entire system. The new one i'm getting is worth $600 for the can, and i will be making sure it gets setup so it will match the front pipes from the old setup. Unless they replace the whole lot, but i am doubting that will happen.

The main reason i'm getting another brand is because there as no one in NZ that imports moriwaki exhausts, so i would have to try source one myself. Plus i'm over the pipe i have now as its a bitch to keep clean as i can't really clean the anodized part without scratching it. It also has bits of tar and chain lube on it i cant seem to get off without making it worse.

I am going to find out what will happen with the old can, and if i can but it back for cheap i will.

Zim_Invader
23rd September 2008, 23:54
and once bought back, sold to zim!? if i can't find a nice one for myself in the mean time.

2wheeljunkie
24th September 2008, 12:00
and once bought back, sold to zim!? if i can't find a nice one for myself in the mean time.

thats actually a good idea..SMC mates price ehh..:)

shingo
24th September 2008, 12:14
thats actually a good idea..SMC mates price ehh..:)

So double what i buy it back for then?

Sounds pretty good to me.

Squiggles
24th September 2008, 12:32
So double what i buy it back for then?

Sounds pretty good to me.

Nah, repco styles, double and add 15% :Pokey:

shingo
24th September 2008, 12:46
Nah, repco styles, double and add 15% :Pokey:

lol thats even better.

Zim_Invader
16th May 2010, 19:25
Hey peeps, long time no word from me... my bad... iI'v been a lil busy i guess. I had a question. I really need to get my exhaust sorted out. was looking on trademe and had a question occur to me. can u use/modify a 400/600cc exhaust to work on a 250? i know compression and backpressure become a huge issue, so thought could that be gotten around by maybe welding a disk into the pipe and drilling holes through it - restrict a bit of airflow to help out a bit... (no, i won't get prudvi to weld it this time) hahaha.

Zim_Invader
16th May 2010, 19:38
ok... so i've decided to NOT be lazy, and started a new thread. post there :)