PDA

View Full Version : Sump Plugs?

Pumba
29th July 2008, 20:58
Ok, warning potentialy stupid questions asked in this thread.

One of the previous owners of my FXR has managed to butcher the sump plug. I managed to get it off by using a set of vice grips, no problem there, but figured while I was at it I would replace it. Now the stupid question

Are sump plugs model specific? Do I need to go to a suzuki dealer to get a reeplacement? or can I just go to engineering supply store and get a bolt that is the right size?

ManDownUnder
29th July 2008, 21:07
Don't know but anyone worther their salt will be able to ID the thread on the plug. I could do it easily enough. From there you could make or buy a new one.

I'd expect them to be reasonably interchangeable...

CB ARGH
29th July 2008, 21:07
Ok, warning potentialy stupid questions asked in this thread.

One of the previous owners of my FXR has managed to butcher the sump plug. I managed to get it off by using a set of vice grips, no problem there, but figured while I was at it I would replace it. Now the stupid question

Are sump plugs model specific? Do I need to go to a suzuki dealer to get a reeplacement? or can I just go to engineering supply store and get a bolt that is the right size?

Take it into Repco. They have shit loads of sump plugs to choose from. I think they come with the washer also. BTW you're talking about the bolt that you undo to drain the oil? :sick: Sorry I haven't been technical with cars or bikes since I left the shop. haha.

MaxB
29th July 2008, 21:54
Take it into Repco. They have shit loads of sump plugs to choose from. I think they come with the washer also. BTW you're talking about the bolt that you undo to drain the oil? :sick: Sorry I haven't been technical with cars or bikes since I left the shop. haha.

Or your local Suzuki breakers. They might have a box of assorted ones and you take your pick. For example a lot of sump plugs use an M18 x 1.5 thread. You will still need the washer though.

SixPackBack
30th July 2008, 07:44
The yanks still employ the imperial measurement system, if so finding a suitable plug is going to be a pain in the ass....sump plugs are commonly metric fine or metric conduit. In imperial this will most likely be UNF.
Bring it to the pub tomorrow night and I can measure and tell you what it is and where to get one!

Pumba
30th July 2008, 08:29
The yanks still employ the imperial measurement system, if so finding a suitable plug is going to be a pain in the ass....sump plugs are commonly metric fine or metric conduit. In imperial this will most likely be UNF.
Bring it to the pub tomorrow night and I can measure and tell you what it is and where to get one!

Hmm, you do realise that by FXR I mean a Suzuki FXR150 dont ya? so I dont think the Yanks will have a lot to do with it.

Still in the bike at the moment so I will whip it out. Sounds like repco might be the place to go though.

F5 Dave
30th July 2008, 17:53
. . . so I dont think the Yanks will have a lot to do with it. . .
Don't yewl bet on it! World Police don't cha know? :Police:

What with ITAR restrictions chances are you won't be able to buy a bolt without informing state security services & filling in a form, answering a whole bunch of tricky questions & still not getting it you filthy raghead sympathiser.

FROSTY
2nd August 2008, 16:14
Just rock on into Atomic wreckers and buy a new sump plug.
Of course if ya wanna be a real smart fella Given your sump plug is ferked.Get an old socket one size too small and bang it on the plug--with it out of the bike of course and do a tack weld on one corner.
bingo --socket alwase attached oil change easy

TLDV8
2nd August 2008, 17:49

It will probably be around M12 or M14 with a 1.25 mm pitch.
All the same it would not hurt to ring Colemans etc,the cost might be under $10.

pete376403
3rd August 2008, 11:43
On some older metric bikes, a 14mm spark plug can be used to make a temporary sump plug.
(Old Brit bikes have a thread system all of their own - often nothing fits, not even the correct bolts)