PDA

View Full Version : What do I look for?? Clutch wear?

Freakshow
31st July 2008, 00:10
The bike is a ZX6R 2002 38000km

I had noticed the clutch starting to slip so I have taken the cover off and here is what I have found. What should I be looking for?? (crap photos below).

I have to note that a few weeks before I noticed the slipping I had changed the clutch lever over but I did make sure the cable was loose when released.

Thanks in advance.

awayatc
31st July 2008, 00:48
Hard to tell from the picture if the plates are worn......
The plates (not the metal ones) should not be smooth..

What about the mechanism that engages/disengages the clutch? Does that seem to operate ok?...is there enough freeplay to completely disengage the clutch?
Otherwise a new set of plates and/or springs might be needed.....

jonbuoy
31st July 2008, 04:56
Spring lengths, friction plate thickness (the fibre ones not the shiny steel ones). or just not being adjusted properly will be the cause of the slipage.

Steel should be flat and can be bead blasted if they have got too polished. You'll need a vernier and a haynes/workshop book.

YellowDog
31st July 2008, 06:15
On a 1977 bike there are many things that could be worn or in need of adjustment to potentially cause clutch slipage. If the plates don't appear to be worn try putting it all back together and see how it goes. There is usually quite a lot of adjustment to play with. I am presuming that you had adjusted all the way before taking it all apart. Good luck.

jonbuoy
31st July 2008, 06:34
On a 1977 bike there are many things that could be worn or in need of adjustment to potentially cause clutch slipage. If the plates don't appear to be worn try putting it all back together and see how it goes. There is usually quite a lot of adjustment to play with. I am presuming that you had adjusted all the way before taking it all apart. Good luck.

Same things make a 30 Y/O clutch slip as a 6 year old one, definately worth checking plate thickness after 6 years of use, especially as its apart now. Cheap verniers at supercheap auto - service manual off the net. Or just put it back together and hope for the best :nono:

Freakshow
31st July 2008, 11:53
Thanks,

everything looks right with the release so will check plate thicknesses and measure everything. I will check how flat the steels are....

FROSTY
2nd August 2008, 16:18
dude Clutch is in bits. Why fark around? Youre gonna need to replace the fibres at some stage anyway why not just bung a new set in and see what happens?.
One thing that did occur to me.--does the clutch lever move smoothly without sticking?

F5 Dave
4th August 2008, 17:07
Measure the fibres, if they are in spec (ie: near new width) then should be ok.
But if worn the decreased pressure may be enough to make them slip.

Some oils make slip likely. Can scuff plates up on real smooth concrete. Springs can sack-out & make them slip. Aftermarket (EBC etc) springs can help.

Freakshow
5th August 2008, 16:56
Took the stack to the shop and he recons it looks good so suggested I get the plates sand blasted a little and I have some heavy duty springs on order.
If that is a fail then next step is replace some more!
So it will remain bondage bike till then!

avgas
5th August 2008, 17:14
check thickness - if they are all good then wash them in something (meths? or turps? cant remember) and do a full oil flush.
didn't put motorup in the bike recently did you?