PDA

View Full Version : CBR600RR - noise from engine

micko1980
31st July 2008, 19:33
Hey,recently noticed a noise from my 05 CBR600rr and at about 3000 revs it sounds worst. Best desciption is it sounds like a rattle of a loose screw but definatley coming from the engine. Has anyone had the same problem?

RobRod
31st July 2008, 19:52
In my experience a noise is hard to diagnose by text, description or over the phone. I would suggest you get it to the motorcycle shop you trust.

FJRider
31st July 2008, 20:01
Use the "garden hose stethescope" method to determine source of the problem. i.e. one end of hose in your ear... run other end over motor area. Find problem area and add to your post.

NighthawkNZ
31st July 2008, 20:08
Hey,recently noticed a noise from my 05 CBR600rr and at about 3000 revs it sounds worst. Best desciption is it sounds like a rattle of a loose screw but definatley coming from the engine. Has anyone had the same problem?

Check yah cam chain tennsioners

Use the "garden hose stethescope" method to determine source of the problem. i.e. one end of hose in your ear... run other end over motor area. Find problem area and add to your post.

or a biggish screw driver, put the head to the engine and the the handle to your ear...

Sully60
31st July 2008, 20:10
Knowing a little about these machines I would suggest it is the cam chain tensioner not working as well as it should. I'm yet to encounter many of these bikes that don't do it.

But as has been mentioned before remote diagnoses with limited info is difficult if not impossible.

gunrunner
14th August 2008, 18:51

Whatever you do dont turn it on otherwise the noise will sound rather wet .:shit:

jamiey
14th August 2008, 19:14
Cam chain tensioner, notorious on CBR's. I've had 5, most of them with camchain rattle at some point. Get it checked out properly, if it is the cct consider fitting a manual one instead of the Honda self adjusting one, I have never done it here in NZ but in the UK they were around 70pounds. Loads of links on the web (due to the amount of these that get done) with how to do it

racefactory
15th August 2008, 17:16
is it a serious issue having a loose camchain/camchain rattle?

and sorry, this is off topic but i have the exact same sympton coming from my nissan sentra. it's got chain driven cams too. However, i dont get this noise at idle/neutral... even when i rev it. Could that also be cam chain tensioner. Maybe someone could be kind enough to pm me? Thanks guys... sorry about that.

Good luck with your CBR mate.

Patch
15th August 2008, 19:07
if its not the tensioner wearing out, it may be the start of the big end going :eek5: which in turn will only get louder then the motor will cease to work.

Get it looked at soon as you can. Better safe than sorry.

Switch
15th August 2008, 19:11
it may be the start of the big end going :eek5: which in turn will only get louder then the motor will cease to work.

Get it looked at soon as you can. Better safe than sorry.

I highly suggest you get it checked out by a mechanic. Our CBR250RR had a sudden death while riding at legal speeds in top gear, blew its big end bearing out the side of the crank case in 3 different places. Mechanic could be cheaper ;)

micko1980
19th August 2008, 22:47
Thought maybe the big end so drained the oil, filtered it and no metal found also checked the filter with nothing, have been doing a bit of research and has anyone heard of or any honda mechanics out there had a service bulletin from honda in regards to type of oil used???? info I found is that later model cbr's (07/08) are to use no more than 10w40 oil preferably 10w30 as honda have found it (10w50 oil) to be a problem causing a rattle from the CCT.

stify
19th August 2008, 23:47
had a funny noise develop in my old 06 cbr600rr in a similar rev range when riding...traced it to a stone rattlin round in the air intake

motorbyclist
25th August 2008, 03:42
is it a serious issue having a loose camchain/camchain rattle?

if it gets loose enough it'll pop off or over a tooth, at which point valves will usually meet pistons and promptly destroy the valves and pistons - may also root the cylinders, bend crankshaft etc etc

basically, it'll blow up:)