PDA

View Full Version : kr150 probs

kippy
3rd August 2008, 03:01
Hi i have a kr150 2005model.

it has about 24000km on the clock and the bike still moves, but when im cruising and rev it up to 6500rpm to about 7000rpm the bike just lose power as if im flooding the bike it sounds the same. i have clean the carb and air filter changed spark lugs and it stil does the same, but if i open it to full throttle it goes clean to 11000rpm but you can still feel it looses power. i can get about 180km/h and my friend has the same bike but with out the problems and he can get up to 190km/h...

can someone please help me.

Racey Rider
3rd August 2008, 15:51
Have you checked what main jet is in both bikes?

The lose of power issue is common at that point right before the power valve opens. I have proved it get better or worse depending on what jetting your using, and even atmosphic conditions. I would suspect even the octane of your fuel could make a small change in that area.

Your friends motor may just be in better condition so running cleaner.
At 24000 km your ready for a new piston kit which is the first place to start before trying to tune out problems.

CookMySock
3rd August 2008, 17:45
perhaps try a new sparkplug, or a better quality oil. :whistle:

or just go for a long ride.

DB

kippy
4th August 2008, 00:15
oh ok. i dont what jets i use wil check on that. Wil it help if i use synthetic 2stroke cos i only use cheap shity ones i get when i fil up. have tried that2many times its not the spark plug and a long ride doesn't help either. is there anything i can do before i put in a new piston

CookMySock
4th August 2008, 08:50
Wil it help if i use synthetic 2stroke cos i only use cheap shity ones i get when i fil up.YES!
Never put cheap shitty oil of any type in any bike.

DB

Racey Rider
4th August 2008, 18:01
Personally I don't think the KR150 motor is in such a serious state of tune that it needs Fully Synthetic oils. Even my race bike doesn't use fully synthetic.

kippy
5th August 2008, 18:23
Ok thanx. Whats the size jets that i am supose 2 use on the bike. I needed 2 drile holes in my air box to get the right amount of air but no it sounds like i have a cone air filter on the bike and i dont like that sound

quallman1234
6th August 2008, 10:59
Personally I don't think the KR150 motor is in such a serious state of tune that it needs Fully Synthetic oils. Even my race bike doesn't use fully synthetic.

Your race bike, is a completely different engine than a 05 model. The 2001 + models were actually somewhat good

Btw its probabaly an 03 rego'd in 05.

koba
6th August 2008, 15:22
I needed 2 drile holes in my air box to get the right amount of air but no it sounds like i have a cone air filter on the bike and i dont like that sound

There is your problem.
Tape them up.
What made you think that was a good idea?!?!

Also it important to note that you need to keep thing like powervalves and oil pumps adjusted on these kind of bikes.

Get a service manual and follow it OR have a shop do everything.

Racey Rider
6th August 2008, 18:16
Yes, I was going to ask if your model was infact the KRR150?

I can't tell you what main jet you should have if thats the case.

Drilling holes in air boxs can cause problems.

kippy
6th August 2008, 20:36
I have sent the bike in to a shop and they driled the hole and when i tape it up the bike wont rev higher than 6000revs and i think thats why they driled in the holes for more air. So i must have biger jets in or my carb are not tuned in. Were on the internet can i get a workshop manual. And what can be tuned on the powervalves wil they only open at higher revs. I have a krr150 it the new model it looks the same as the 2007 model acept its a 2005model

kippy
6th August 2008, 20:43
Yes whats the main jet size i wil see what size jets do i have this weekend

sefer
6th August 2008, 20:55
There are no manuals around, I think most KRR owners have looked everywhere. Apparently even the Kawa dealers don't have them (or so the shop said).

There is a very definite flat spot just before the power valve opens, and it sounds like your problem is just an extension of that spot.

I think you should start by fixing the holes drilled in your airbox, then have the valves checked out for a start. If that's a no go I'd be looking at doing the rings and piston. You can pick them up for under $100 and putting them in should be fairly easy without a manual, since all your really going to need to know is the torque values of the bolts, and that should be the same as any other Kawa using the same sized bolts. Even if not guestimating them shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Doing that should hopefully eliminate any problems.

kippy
7th August 2008, 02:16
the prob is i dont have money for new piston and rings, and yes its easy to put it in. one mechanics told me its gets to much fuel but i"ll strip the carb and clean real good but yes i can feel i have lost a bit compression but thinks its got to do with the carb..maybe i have the wrong jets in or something is tuned out i cant see how it would be the piston or rings that can do that

koba
7th August 2008, 15:43
yes i can feel i have lost a bit compression but thinks its got to do with the carb

and what do you base this on?

Is this a pisstake?

And what can be tuned on the powervalves wil they only open at higher revs.
Not sure what you are saying here maybe try again in english.
The powervalves need to be kept adjusted.
If they are not you will lose top end power or end up with a mid-range flat spot.
If you can't find a manual try find some info on another kawasaki twostroke that is similar like a KR1 or somthing, chances are they use the same or a similar system.
It probably isn't too hard to work out anyway it is probably a cable or rod adjustment where you need to tightent (or Loosen) a cable or rod or two until the marks line up.

Oh wait, three words into google and....
http://www.dansmc.com/powervalve.htm

That could be a good place to start learning

kippy
10th August 2008, 22:22
Oky that helped alot. Can the carbon buildup in the engin make anything not work properly

kippy
11th August 2008, 03:39
Hi my kr150 had holes that were driled in the air box that a shop did. Anyway i did not like the idea so i coverd the holes with tape, when i did this the bike wont rev higher than 6000revs i thought it was ok so i removed the tape then the bike is supose to run normal again but it didn't it stil doesn't want to rev higher than 6000. What could have happend when i coverd the hole with tape. I have a 2005 krr150 model

skidMark
11th August 2008, 03:42
Hi my kr150 had holes that were driled in the air box that a shop did. Anyway i did not like the idea so i coverd the holes with tape, when i did this the bike wont rev higher than 6000revs i thought it was ok so i removed the tape then the bike is supose to run normal again but it didn't it stil doesn't want to rev higher than 6000. What could have happend when i coverd the hole with tape. I have a 2005 krr150 model

it ran too rich and fouled the spark plug. replace it with a new one.

Racey Rider
11th August 2008, 07:17
Maybe carbon buildup has your exhaust partly blocked???

racefactory
11th August 2008, 19:53
exactly what i thought the second i read it. for me- just cleaning the plugs fixes that.

let us know how it goes mate...

Racey Rider
11th August 2008, 20:50
Piecing together all the info you have given so far in both threads,
it sounds to me like the mechanic has put a bigger main jet in your carb, has then increased the air intake by drilling the hole in air box. I have proved this does have the affect of disturbing the smooth transition of rpm right before the power valve opens. Thus the hole at 6500rpm.

I would like to know what your 'friend' has done to his 150 to get 190km/h out of it though, even if it is only 'Speedo Indicated'.

kippy
12th August 2008, 03:14
ok i have done that i have clean EVERYthing changed the sparplug and it still does the same.

the bike was running fine with the hole in it but when i taped it evreything when wrong like i explained, everything should be back to normal when i removed the tape...i think something else must have hapend..maybe the powervalves

kippy
12th August 2008, 03:16
oh ok thanx that website help alot.

kippy
12th August 2008, 03:23
yes they said they have changed the jets the big jet or main jet is a 190rd and the small one is a 22,5...but how can i fix the probleme cos it didn't do anything.

he didn't do anything to his bike..my other friend has got 200 on the clock and he took a foto but seeing is believing i dont believe he got that his speedo must be way out.

what could hapen if i cover up the hole they driled into the airbox..cos in my other thread i have done this and now the bike only revs to 6000rpm then it floods heavy but if i take the tape of is still does the same were it should be normal..i have cleaned the carb and air filter and have put in a new spark plug also

kippy
12th August 2008, 08:29
The exhaust is clean...can it be the cdi that can be dirty or some wire my not be in place

koba
12th August 2008, 15:24
yes they said they have changed the jets the big jet or main jet is a 190rd and the small one is a 22,5...but how can i fix the probleme cos it didn't do anything.

he didn't do anything to his bike..my other friend has got 200 on the clock and he took a foto but seeing is believing i dont believe he got that his speedo must be way out.

what could hapen if i cover up the hole they driled into the airbox..cos in my other thread i have done this and now the bike only revs to 6000rpm then it floods heavy but if i take the tape of is still does the same were it should be normal..i have cleaned the carb and air filter and have put in a new spark plug also

You are trying to make a bike that has been fiddled with by someone else go like a standard KR150.

The best way to do that is make yours just like... a standard KR150.

Try changing all the jets and anything else that has been tampered with back.
If you can't take it to a shop that can.

kippy
12th August 2008, 18:46
Yes that is what im trying to do. I just want to know what is the standard sizes are for the jets

Racey Rider
12th August 2008, 19:22
Standard main jet for a KR150a is #140.
Of course your KRR150 may be different.

sefer
12th August 2008, 21:10
I would like to know what your 'friend' has done to his 150 to get 190km/h out of it though, even if it is only 'Speedo Indicated'.

Not impossible, or probably even that hard I'd imagine (with enough road). I've had mine to 170 (indicated), and that was on a windy as fuck day with major head/side winds. I imagine I'd make it to 180 on a calmer day. (on a standard, newish low k bike)

kippy
13th August 2008, 02:19
yes enough road is the only problem but he has the 2007kips model the latest one but you can also get it mine has indicated 180 i cant go faster but my motor has twice more the km on it