PDA

View Full Version : Water cooled bikes on indoor tracks (modified fans?)

grantman
3rd August 2008, 12:28
Just an idea

If the water cooled bikes overheat due to not enough air flow
can you fit a electric fan to push the air thru the radiator

Just like in a car

not sure how much space you have but could be mounted behind the radiator if needed and just running off a small battery

I have no problems as I have a Daytona but I was thinking of BigAls comment

Water cooled bikes are not really suitable for indoor racing DB as they get pretty hot, short bursts ok.

what do you think ?

hayd3n
3rd August 2008, 12:43
maybe or some kind of built in cooler try a refrigeration specilist

Karitane pete
3rd August 2008, 12:45
Computer fans are small and low current draw

hayd3n
3rd August 2008, 12:51
also most water cooled bikes are fitted with a fan at least all the ones ive had

BigAl
3rd August 2008, 13:02
There's not much room to mount even a small computer fan guys.:cool:

If I was planning to race indoors with a w/c I'd put a temperature gauge on and just monitor the temp. Engine is often reving harder as most guys gear their bikes down for tighter indoor tracks.

But if this shitty weather keeps up, indoors is about the only place to ride:(

BASS-TREBLE
3rd August 2008, 13:22
It should work,
Maybe source a little 12V generator, Computers run on 12V don't they?

DELLORTO
3rd August 2008, 13:55
There's not much room to mount even a small computer fan guys.:cool:

If I was planning to race indoors with a w/c I'd put a temperature gauge on and just monitor the temp. Engine is often reving harder as most guys gear their bikes down for tighter indoor tracks.

But if this shitty weather keeps up, indoors is about the only place to ride:(

alan i was talking to brett on friday and he coming to silverdale...and hes bring a spare bike so im sure if you came you'd be able to race on of his daytona's.............

Gadgit
3rd August 2008, 15:17
also most water cooled bikes are fitted with a fan at least all the ones ive had

Really I'v never seen a water cooled pocket bike with a fan fitted??

There really is little room to mount a fan like big Al said on all 3 of my bikes you have 3mm of space between the radiator and the spark plug head and the other side I have 4mm between the radiator and the front tyre.. so no show there and then there is the issue of finding a place to fit a dry cell 12v battery without it being damaged by heat and vibration (a big killer of muilti cell batteries).... High clutch temps also is a problem for the water cooled bikes indoors... more fun on a daytona with 6/80 gearing

grantman
3rd August 2008, 16:29
glad to see I got people thinking

Would radiator shrouds like on a CRF or MX bit add to some air flow?

Eg take farings off and make a scoop?
Yeah ..might look real ugly though

What's it like around the indoor tracks ?
looks really tight
Do you get great grip on the surface?

Cheers
Grant

DELLORTO
3rd August 2008, 18:52
grantman indoor tracks are awsome!!! sometimes your leaning over so much on the corners that your arm is on the ground!!!!!!! and you get HEAPS of grip because it never rains indoor.......i wouldnt book this meeting if i didnt like indoor racing

xtreme
3rd August 2008, 21:43
Hi
We have tried indoor with watercooled bikes and its a drama , overheating and dumping water on the track and next thing you know everyone is comming off on the spilt water , big clutch killer as well especially on gp3 rep motors.

Cheers Greg

breakaway
3rd August 2008, 23:51
Is it possible to fit extra radiators?

/me is thinking out loud

Gadgit
4th August 2008, 13:19
Is it possible to fit extra radiators?

/me is thinking out loud

There really is just no room for extra's on a pocket bike. And I think you would spend more money trying then a new daytona is worth.... get a daytona run short gearing and then your've got a good indoor bike that will handle the temps as they run forced air cooling and the clutch comes in low reving round 2000rpm so no huge temps there compaired to the clutches that engauge at 8500rpm and then slip till the rear wheel catches up.. and on a tight indoor circuit the high rpm clutch hardly gets time to hook up before your off the gas into a corner

Motoworld Powersports
4th August 2008, 19:10
Hey Gadgit Troy here we didnt have a problem when we had the GP3s indoors. Im sure a group of us are coming. Phils bringing his Polinis

Gadgit
4th August 2008, 19:47
Hay Troy hows things? I'd be more concerned with the chineese bikes, B1's have bad cooling systems and GP3 reps fry there clutchs on the open tracks let alone the short tracks.

DELLORTO
4th August 2008, 19:48
is that to silverdale troy? are you bringing that guy who has a gp3 with number 111 on it?? hes realy realy good!! IM GOING TO LAPPED!!:shit:

BigAl
4th August 2008, 20:31
Wait until you see Phils son Dellorto, he's only 9 and is almost as quick as the old man:whistle:

DELLORTO
4th August 2008, 20:45
ill show him how the NZMMRC does it!!! :Punk: lol NOT!! ill try my best...

Gadgit
4th August 2008, 22:03
ill show him how the NZMMRC does it!!! :Punk: lol NOT!! ill try my best...

Lol Phils son was one of the clubs youngest members.... begun riding on a polini 4.2 when he was 4 and with his weight and all he could easy clean up most of the senior open class haha

DELLORTO
4th August 2008, 22:07
why dosnt he ride anymore?

Motoworld Powersports
12th August 2008, 12:49
Good night on Sunday was good to get back into it. The mighty Chinka went well.

Qkchk
12th August 2008, 13:52
Good night on Sunday was good to get back into it. The mighty Chinka went well.

Provided it had the rubber side down eh? ;)

CookMySock
13th August 2008, 08:18
outdoors in the winter, we have more problems trying to get the bloody things to stay warm!

DB