PDA

View Full Version : CBR 250R 1990 How to reassemble the top half of the engine.

Stappy
5th August 2008, 13:22
Hey there I have a CBR engine which a mate of mine decided to remove the head plate and the piston head leaving the engine wide open.
Does anyone know how to put the gears back in so I won’t screw up the timing system, and blow the whole engine?

I'm talking about the top two rods that rotate around opening and closing the valves.

Cheers Sam.

Sully60
5th August 2008, 13:25
Hey there I have a CBR engine which a mate of mine decided to remove the head plate and the piston head leaving the engine wide open.
Does anyone know how to put the gears back in so I won’t screw up the timing system, and blow the whole engine?

I'm talking about the top two rods that rotate around opening and closing the valves.

Cheers Sam.

Get a workshop manual or professional help, it's easy to get wrong if you haven't done it before and the consequenses of doing so will be catastrophic, well not catastrophic like the Sun imploding but the engine will be toast.
Good luck.

HenryDorsetCase
5th August 2008, 13:27
If you dont know the proper name for a camshaft what the HELL makes you think you will be able to put the head back on this motor?

My advice: buy a manual and a box of beers, give the manual and box of beers to someone competent, stand back and admire while they do it for you.

Ixion
5th August 2008, 14:53
I note that your engine has a removeable piston head. This indicates that yours is a steam engine .Presumably it is a very early model, or else someone has transplanted an engine from (for example) a Spragthorp. If the engine has indeed come from a Spragthorp, it may be of considerable value.

nodrog
5th August 2008, 14:58
... Does anyone know how to put the gears back in so I won’t screw up the timing system, and blow the whole engine?...

carefully.

The Pastor
5th August 2008, 16:23
Make sure you use lots of super glue as well as the bolts, to stop the head warping.