PDA

View Full Version : VFR400 not going into neutral.

racefactory
6th August 2008, 22:10
Hi there,

VFR400 NC30 25 000 km on clock- doesnt want to go into neutral unless you are moving. If you are idling it will not go back into neutral, however, if you turn the engine off it will then indeed go into neutral.

Not a biggie really but...

Any ideas?

Ixion
6th August 2008, 22:20
Sounds normal to me. I assume you do the usual tricks?

racefactory
6th August 2008, 22:27
lol sorry i dont know what you mean? I just got the bike and the owner also said he had a hard time getting it into neutral? At least it doesnt do that on my TZR250... cheers.

koba
6th August 2008, 22:28
lol sorry i dont know what you mean? I just got the bike and the owner also said he had a hard time getting it into neutral? At least it doesnt do that on my TZR250... cheers.

Adjust the clutch/clutch cable.

cs363
6th August 2008, 22:32
Check your chain is tensioned correctly too - something that's often overlooked!

Sketchy_Racer
6th August 2008, 22:35
Check your clutch adjustment. If you don't know what the corrcet clutch adjustment is get someone or a shop to show you. It's simple, but if not done right can cause all sorts of troubles

racefactory
6th August 2008, 22:37
oh! yes my chain is rather loose so that could may well have something to do with it.

As for the clutch- i'll read the Honda manual, cheers!

cs363
6th August 2008, 22:46
oh! yes my chain is rather loose so that could may well have something to do with it.

As for the clutch- i'll read the Honda manual, cheers!

Loose chain isn't good and you should adjust it properly, but won't cause the problem you are having - that would be a tight chain issue.
Sounds like clutch adjustment or wear issue, also if I recall correctly that model has a linkage type gear lever (??) if so, refer to your manual and adjust the freeplay in the lever.

lostinflyz
7th August 2008, 00:23
careful on the vfr swingarm adjustment. alot of them can massively tighten up the chain if the rear ends pretty soft or been toyed with. have a look at the chain tension with your bum on it. can make a big difference. ive found with my bike on the stand the chain is pretty loose but tightens up when the rear is on the ground.

cs363
7th August 2008, 00:40
careful on the vfr swingarm adjustment. alot of them can massively tighten up the chain if the rear ends pretty soft or been toyed with. have a look at the chain tension with your bum on it. can make a big difference. ive found with my bike on the stand the chain is pretty loose but tightens up when the rear is on the ground.

Correct! The best way to tension a chain is with the suspension compressed and the axle, swing arm pivot and front sprocket in line as this is generally the point of maximum chain tension (there are a few rare exceptions to this rule) and it also pays to check the tension in more than one spot especially on a used chain as there are often tight spots.
There is some very good info here on that subject: http://www.motorcycle.com/products/all-about-chains-3524.html

lostinflyz
7th August 2008, 17:18

dont listen to me. ive got it round the wrong way. for my bike at least. its too tight to start with and loosens up when its on the ground

CookMySock
8th August 2008, 08:09
has someone put too-thick oil in it ?

Katman
8th August 2008, 10:10
Check the state of the fingers on the clutch basket. The clutch plates can wear into the fingers and cause a grabbing clutch and difficulty finding neutral.

racefactory
10th August 2008, 18:19
hi there,

what is the clutch basket?

Im not sure if the clutch is at fault here... according to haynes,,, my play in the clutch is right.

changing oil has not helped.

I should hvae given more details. The gearbox feels very good to me... clunks into gear solidly- but when you flick down the gears to first and then try to flick up to neutral- it goes right into second. sometimes you can get it into neutral but after some random playing with it. when your at speed and put it into neutral then it works.

when you put it into first gear it goes in with quite a clunk and the bike jolts forward a tiny bit.. but i think all bikes do that dont they?

honda929
10th August 2008, 18:26
Could be weak de-dent wheel springs

lostinflyz
10th August 2008, 18:32
my nc30's are right pigs to find neutral in. its not like they just find neutral that easy. the amount of times ive had to sit about in gear cause i cant find netral is pretty high. is it really hard (i.e. nigh on impossible to ever find neutral) or just a pain in the arse 30-50% of the time

racefactory
10th August 2008, 18:46
Could be weak de-dent wheel springs

what are those?

oh ok so everyone finds a hard time finding neutral?

lostinflyz
10th August 2008, 21:19
what are those?

oh ok so everyone finds a hard time finding neutral?

thats just my experience on my bikes. if it eventually finds netral with less than 4 fucks its pretty reasonable in my experience.

racefactory
10th August 2008, 22:11
hahaha ok. What about these ''weak de dent springs'' . What are they?

CookMySock
11th August 2008, 11:17
changing oil has not helped...Have you just changed the oil ?

Did it get much worse after the oil change ?

Is it much better if you go for a ride and get it fully warmed up ?

Is it much worse on a cold morning ?

If so, you need a thinner oil in it.

racefactory
11th August 2008, 17:43
hey man thanks a lot but i just solved it.

Even though according to haynes, my clutch play was correct.. i adjusted it anyway for a little more- fixed. Goes into neutral every single time!

Thanks all.

racefactory
11th August 2008, 17:43
Well, i havent ridden it yet with adjustment but it sure works on the stand.

lostinflyz
11th August 2008, 18:52
what was the fix??

racefactory
11th August 2008, 19:47
fix was as above- increasing the play of the clutch a little bit. for sure it is to do with this- i adjusted it back and there is was...same problem. Now i just hope it doesnt drag when i actually ride it...

honda929
11th August 2008, 19:52
hahaha ok. What about these ''weak de dent springs'' . What are they?

Its part of the gear selector mechanism,the springs hold a roller on a star wheel which rotates when you select a gear,weak or broken springs cause the roller to jump to many notches on the wheel causing miss selection of gears.

racefactory
11th August 2008, 21:37
Oh ok. I suspec that's partly the problem.

mark247
11th August 2008, 22:01
My bike does the same thing and it isnt the clutch adjustment or anything. All you have to do if you want to put it in nuetral well you are stopped is give the throttle a little blip and get the revs up to say 4k and then try getting it into nuetral and it makes it A LOT easier.

racefactory
11th August 2008, 22:09
oh ok? Anyway it's fixed from clutch adjustment now. Try put some more play in your lever then it feels very nice with gearbox!