PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler - vfr400 nc24

disturbed
8th August 2008, 17:34
ive got a vfr400 nc24. is the oil cooler necessary or can i remove it and plug the outlets on the sump?

imdying
8th August 2008, 18:06
Be ok if you don't ride it.

disturbed
8th August 2008, 18:19
well yeah...i kinda wanna ride it aye lol

if its so necessary why dont all bikes have them?

kiwi cowboy
8th August 2008, 18:53
ive got a vfr400 nc24. is the oil cooler necessary or can i remove it and plug the outlets on the sump?

why do you want to take it off anyway is it buggered?

imdying
8th August 2008, 19:12
well yeah...i kinda wanna ride it aye lol

if its so necessary why dont all bikes have them?

Probably the same reason why all bikes aren't 500cc V4 2 strokes... motorcycling has no super deity.

disturbed
8th August 2008, 20:12
nah im making it a naked and its easier to remove it then move it lol

lostinflyz
8th August 2008, 20:50
usually oil coolers are used for two reasons. either they need the direct cooling of oil or they need the extra oil capacity of the oil cooler. either way both of those items are kinda important. I wouldn't recommend taking it off.

The NC30 has no oil cooler but does have 2 (slightly smaller) radiators and i have found they run a bit warmer than the 21/24's. But it is a slightly revised engine so who knows.

disturbed
8th August 2008, 21:02
yeah ill have a look at how i can make it fit behind the forks a bit later

FJRider
8th August 2008, 21:04

I suspect the oil is supposed to circulate around the engine. This "circut" includes the oil "cooler" which, as it cools the oil, cooler oil lubricates the moving bits better. Plugging the circuit may stop the oil flow.
But the good news is... its your bike, go right ahead. :whistle:

p.s. when it goes bang...post photos. We can do with a smile... :yes:

FJRider
8th August 2008, 21:06
yeah ill have a look at how i can make it fit behind the forks a bit later

yeah...out of the air flow.

FJRider
8th August 2008, 21:08
Probably the same reason why all bikes aren't 500cc V4 2 strokes... motorcycling has no super deity.

We do...the god of speed...

koba
11th August 2008, 07:38

You could probably remove it if you replace it with a straight pipe so the oil still finds its wat to where it should be, some cars do this on models that don't need an oil cooler.
I wouldn't do it tho, coz altho it will probably run fine for ages once summer hits and the bike is getting a nice long caning *BANG*.
It is there for a reason!

disturbed
12th August 2008, 13:53
yeah i found a way to mount it but i have to spin it around. question: is the flow in these directional or open. eg does it have a non-return valve thinng in them?

lostinflyz
12th August 2008, 15:51
flow through a radiator should all be the same. they are just thin stips of metal that allow water to pass in one direction and air in another.