PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 250

mp64
10th August 2008, 14:47
hi guys if anyone is selling/knows of a good deal for a 250 can you let me know because i'm after a 250 so i can finally get riding. i'm looking for preferably a sports style bike, but beggars can;t be choosers right. the most i'm able to spend is under 3000 so i can get some gear as well.

cheers mp64

Ragingrob
10th August 2008, 16:30
Yep we're all here to help ya find a suitable bike... Just be prepared for the next 50 pages of useless posts until ya get one :2thumbsup

Where in South Aucks are ya?

I'd suggest that you go out and get all the gear you need (At LEAST a jacket and helmet, if not gloves too), and then see what your bank account says to ya and go from there.

Or is that "under 3000" excluding gear and soley for the bike?

And welcome by the way.

:niceone:

avgas
10th August 2008, 16:53
buy the gear - spend as much as you want. Then buy a rubbish $1000 bike - in 6 months sell the bike for $1000 and move to something better. You should be able to get you restricted then too.
You learn alot of cool tricks on cheap crap bikes. And it save you alot on repair bills.
I never regret the stuff i learnt on my K100 - and it was a shit rubbish bike.
You can have fun on any bike if you have enough skills.
May i suggest a GN125

BANZAI
10th August 2008, 17:27
Welcome to KB and SMC!

As what everyone says get a good gear. Thats first thing.

buy the gear - spend as much as you want. Then buy a rubbish $1000 bike - in 6 months sell the bike for $1000 and move to something better. You should be able to get you restricted then too.
You learn alot of cool tricks on cheap crap bikes. And it save you alot on repair bills.
May i suggest a GN125

Hey avgas wats K100? Is it one of these?
http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/hercules/Hercules%20K100.htm

Not GN125, GN250!!!! Another GN rider in club hehehehehe

Or Volty250
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-168792064.htm

Maybe Offroaders?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes//auction-143461971.htm

If you really want faired bike then get something like this.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-170452156.htm

By the way, we have enough Hondas in our club so

GET SUZUKI or KAWASAKI :p

Yes BANZAI's mass TradeMe posting starts again! Muwahahaha

bomma
10th August 2008, 17:44
lol +1 to what rob said so im gonna stay out of this one mate....welcome to the club site and good luck with the hunt :niceone:

Nagash
10th August 2008, 17:47
Buy my 250,

It's not a cruiser..

Honest :pinch:

mp64
10th August 2008, 18:17
damn you guys were faster than a fat kid on a cupcake to reply. yea im thinking maybe 2500 as a ceiling for the bike. Especially if i'm gonna be able to afford gear in the same year. does anyone recommend a good place for gear?i've checked out botany honda, red baron and puke honda. red baron seemed pretty useless considering they told me that the honda hornet is a great v-twin! and the other 2 seemed pretty good. i'm in manurewa hence my wanting to get a bike coz walking thru rewa at night is not my favourite pass time, and that bikes are awesome!

mp64
10th August 2008, 18:26
cheers BANZAI thanks for the tip the gpxr is more like what im looking for, the only problem is its a bit far out to go have a look at.

Jerry74
10th August 2008, 18:43
Kawasaki Zr 250 or ZXR is not a bad bike to get, cheap on gas goes good.

Real_Wolf
10th August 2008, 19:18
a note on gear:
In general, buying from the stores directly tends to have a massive mark up which can make it painful.

A good place to look for some cheap gear is motomail, in the city. If you go there at certain times you can ask them to open the um, outlet store I think its called, where they have gear that just wasn't selling thats now been marked down massively.

In terms of the bike, just keep watching trademe, and take a look round KB for some kiwibiker people who are selling. On trademe though, watch out for the people who won't sell it with a wof or with a rego, since their usually rather dodgy bikes that will fall apart faster than mine

motorbyclist
11th August 2008, 23:49
full face helmet, armoured jacket and gloves are a must. boots and pants are very good ideas.

new to riding? any experience at all? got a bike licence? drive much? how big/tall/heavy are you?

now we look for a bike:

always go look and test ride a bike before buying and bring a mate. better yet bring someone who actually knows what they're looking at and listening for; kb will be full of willing tyre kickers, i'd be keen to help ya look (and yes i do know what i'm looking at, as does squiggles)
many bargains are shit, many minters are rooted, and many sub-par bikes are $200 away from being genuine minters. a lot of signs for it on trademe, if it's on KB you can check the user posts for "my bike is fucked";)

as for a good learner bike, it's a matter of picking something reliable and rideable that you like the look of. ideally a 'neutral' bike that's neither sporty nor cruiser stance, with a friendly motor like a twin or single cylinder. fairings look wicked and protect from wind, but not so much after one or two accidents. imho a vtr250 is the perfect learner bike, cbf is pretty damn good too but i'm yet to ride one. gpx and gsx are good, the fxr is also good but not suited to motorway speeds . cbr/zxr/hornet etc are meeean fun and extra cool but pretty expensive machines to be learning on.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +5

motorbyclist
11th August 2008, 23:51
oh, dealers can be expensive, but places like colemans have some good deals that aren't on the showroom floor.

mp64
1st September 2008, 20:05
hey guys just wanted to get some advice on the whole 1st bike thing. i like the idea of getting a older bike to learn on incase i stuff it up. so i was looking at this jade http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=172608663 on trademe because i liked the feel of hornet and people have told me that it sits about the same as the jade (can anyone verify?). Any helpful comments would be good, and if you think it looks like a good idea and would maybe be willing to have a look at it with me (because i don;t have a clue what im looking for) that would be mean.

cheers!

Nagash
1st September 2008, 20:55
That bike looks like a right heap of shit..

Ignoring the obvious damage from it being dropped a few times.. which is quite hard to do..

It has fairly high k's so you'd have to expect a few problems to be around, or atleast to come up fairly soon.

Hope you're good with a spanner..

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're that tight on money it may be the way to go.

Jade's are good bikes, ridden one before. They're fairly decent sized so a taller bloke could ride it fairly comfortably.

If you go for a test ride, and he says the 'batteryz' flat, just ask if he can push start it for you. If it still won't start, it's more than just the battery..

ital916
1st September 2008, 20:57
holy fucking shit..here we go again.

All I can tell you mate is buy your gear, get it all at once, don't skimp, if you skimp you WILL DIE, because you WILL crash and it WILL be your fault cos YOU WILL BE DEAD. Don't get a open face helmet cos again you WILL lose your face and DIE.

p/t

In all seriousness, get good gear, buy everything thats boots + gloves + pants + jacket + helmet + rain gear * I recommend the revit wet weather gear*.

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 21:51
Any helpful comments would be good, and if you think it looks like a good idea and would maybe be willing to have a look at it with me (because i don;t have a clue what im looking for) that would be mean.

cheers!

first of all: good on you for showing some common sense and asking someone to have a look. with that attitude you'll do well. welcome to biking, welcome to KB and please don't mind the trolls (drider especially);)

second: that bike looks crashed, and has no wof. this doesn't look good. i'd come around for a view but don't expect any miracles. look at a price for replacement headlight/tacho and add that onto the bike price.

third: as drider said, budget must include decent gear - armoured codura or leather jacket, gloves, helmet, then pants/boots if you can.

fourth: is this your first bike? any motorbike experience at all?

bomma
1st September 2008, 21:54
fuk it all and just get a scooter, great for magneto rides and pulling chicks :niceone:

or a pocket rocket, pocket rockets are more fun :clap:

PirateJafa
1st September 2008, 22:41
+ rain gear * I recommend the revit wet weather gear*.

Why spend extra to get a separate set of "rain" gear? Why not just get some decent stuff to begin with?

I suppose the tyre kicking will have to commence hehe. :D

BANZAI
1st September 2008, 23:04
Why spend extra to get a separate set of "rain" gear? Why not just get some decent stuff to begin with?

I suppose the tyre kicking will have to commence hehe. :D

I agree with Dushy this time, you do want rain pants and rain jacket.

Get Placemakers weathergear from Phurball for $10.

Altho Rev it waterproof pants works. I weat draggin jeans so it can also protect me from wind as well.

PirateJafa
1st September 2008, 23:14
you do want rain pants and rain jacket.

Bah, extra stuff to carry around - most cordura gear will keep you nice and warm and dry. :)

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 23:22
what the hell guys? listen to jafa here;

decent gear implies it's water and wind proof

you can piss around with an extra layer if you want but why bother? maybe get a fully faired bike so you can dry out your gloves in it if you're that soft:p

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 23:29
oh and btw i had a blat on a cbr125 today - here's my review (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1713395#post1713395)

JBJB
2nd September 2008, 08:16
Hey guys, I'm new to KB and am studying at UoA. Sorry to barge in on mp64's thread but I thought it'd be better than starting my own. Got my learners and all gear except boots. I'm keen as to get on a bike and am looking at around the 3.5/4K mark. It seems to me that Hyos give you a lot of bike for your $s but I know a few people have very negative opinions of them. I guess I'd rather get a low kms hyo (gt250) for around 4K than a high km vtr or hornet. I'm keen to check out this bike: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1680153
Any opinions?

avgas
2nd September 2008, 08:41
Hey avgas wats K100? Is it one of these?
http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/hercules/Hercules%20K100.htm
Not GN125, GN250!!!! Another GN rider in club hehehehehe
um try this lol
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/attachments/offroad-buy-sell-trade/11422d1176869363-old-kawasakis-sale-part-out-1971-kawasaki-g3-100cc-partsbike-ga-289153-001.jpg
it was so rubbish it had a hole in the exhaust
Why not GN125........you GN250 types ride slow enough for me to catch you on a 125 ;)

avgas
2nd September 2008, 08:43
Hey guys, I'm new to KB and am studying at UoA. Sorry to barge in on mp64's thread but I thought it'd be better than starting my own. Got my learners and all gear except boots. I'm keen as to get on a bike and am looking at around the 3.5/4K mark. It seems to me that Hyos give you a lot of bike for your $s but I know a few people have very negative opinions of them. I guess I'd rather get a low kms hyo (gt250) for around 4K than a high km vtr or hornet. I'm keen to check out this bike: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1680153
Any opinions?
boss has got one - i have to ride VERY SLOWLY with him (well he is 60).
Good bikes - if its not you first time riding.
if it is get something you can scratch......because you will scratch it.....ideally less than $1500

avgas
2nd September 2008, 08:48
hey guys just wanted to get some advice on the whole 1st bike thing. i like the idea of getting a older bike to learn on incase i stuff it up. so i was looking at this jade http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=172608663 on trademe because i liked the feel of hornet and people have told me that it sits about the same as the jade (can anyone verify?). Any helpful comments would be good, and if you think it looks like a good idea and would maybe be willing to have a look at it with me (because i don;t have a clue what im looking for) that would be mean.

cheers!
she is rough - but i can come around with jumper cables and we can see how bad she really is.
Ask to view on Saturday - sit a wof on it. if it passes the wof i say go for it.
ideally if its you first bike look more for less than 200cc

PirateJafa
2nd September 2008, 10:15
Any opinions?

To be honest, in your price range you could fairly easily get a VTR, Hornet or Bandit (Don't forget the Bandits matey!) with low k's similar to that GT250.

And personal opinion, but all any of those three would keep you entertained longer than a GT250. :)

Slyer
2nd September 2008, 10:31
Listen to the Jafa. ;)

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 11:15
Any opinions?

not bad at all, you're off to a good start

welcome to KB:)

Is this your first ever bike? ANY prior experience?

when the hyosungs first came out everyone was a bit skeptical but they have proven themselves to be reasonably well built. Now i've only ever ridden one of these up and down a driveway, but can say a few things:
nothing wrong with a hyosung for a learner
a honda vtr or hornet or even a suzuki bandit would be just as, if not more reliable. most japanese bikes (or atleast most the hondas) will do well over 100000km without complaints provided they've been cared for. the only reason bike rarely see 100000km is cars. hyo's are yet to prove themselves
the honda vtr250 definitely has more grunt and a more solid feel. same for the hornet and bandit.
and as for cornering/handling, i've seen a hyo keep up with a pretty fast hornet rider around the coromandel (until the hyo up in the side of an oncoming truck)

so what i'm saying is that imho the hyo isn't as good a machine as the japanese ones, but it's still a good machine.

I'd strongly suggest going around and having a look, bring someone like myself/avgas or whoever is keen and actually knows what they're looking at incase there's something wrong. while this seller seems like a good guy and there's no "my bike is fucked" threads under his name, never buy a bike unseen.

EDIT: and go have a sit on a few bikes to see what they're like. on your learners don't expect a test ride, but if you bring myself/avgas they can have a blat for you to check the gearbox etc is all good. if they wont let a full licenced rider test ride then dont buy it.

Real_Wolf
2nd September 2008, 13:29
Oh yes, one other good idea.

Get a naked bike, a bike with fairings can get them scratched up pretty easy, but a naked bike is usually just pick up and go, with maybe a bit of a bend to something but nothing like what can happen to the fairings

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 14:49
Oh yes, one other good idea.

Get a naked bike, a bike with fairings can get them scratched up pretty easy, but a naked bike is usually just pick up and go, with maybe a bit of a bend to something but nothing like what can happen to the fairings

all good and well unless you grind through or smash an engine cover

at that point you need a new cover and possibly whatever was behind it, and you sure aren't riding home - fairings are protection for your bike from wind, rain, road and "carpark shopping" for spare bits, and just cause they're scratched doesn't mean you can't ride it;)

also, hopping on the hornet yesterday (and today for insurance reasons) i can say that fairings, however pathetic they may be, make a world of difference to the riding experience in terms of not getting buffeted by the wind and completely drenched in the rain.
note a learner shouldn't be on the motorway anyway.

ital916
2nd September 2008, 20:41
The reason I said rain gear is that motorcycle gear is not 100% waterproof, it arely even comes close. I'd say more 75 to 90 % waterproof. Thus if you ride in all conditions like moi then rain gear comes in handy. Also allowing the rain pant to take it means your nice protective clothing after riding in three days of torrential rain stays dry. Even cordura takes a long time to dry and nothing is worse than putting on wet gear.

Sometimes you will want to wear draggins as cordura pants can be cumbersome in inner city commuting, hence rain gear. Trust me, there is method in my madness. Then again, I know nothing haha so do what you want, your money and your skin.

PirateJafa
2nd September 2008, 21:26
Motorcycle gear can indeed be waterproof.

I ride every day, regardless of weather, and do so bone dry. The only part of my gear that lets water in is my gloves when it is absolutely torrenting down, and that's only because I crashed in them. :D

Buy rain gear if you want to fork out extra unnecessary money to the shops. I suppose that supporting your local community is all well and good and noble. :rolleyes:

bomma
2nd September 2008, 22:03
that's what the interest free over-drafts and $1000/year "course-related" costs are for......i mean if i get wet on the way in and out of uni everyday, i might fall ill and thus wet weather gear is required for my functioning on the academic level :niceone:

Slyer
2nd September 2008, 22:04
Either cheapish gear + rain gear OR decent gear OR get wet.
Sound about right?

bomma
2nd September 2008, 22:09
Sound about right?

from experience, drider's right in that corudra does get wet OVERTIME and does not dry overnight. HOWEVER it will be fine unless it's absolutely hammering down when you ride in. And if it's raining on your way home, then it will not matter much if the gear is wet anyway. When you get home, hang up the jackets, pants, gloves etc in a small room with a heater or a dehumidifier overnight and it will be nice and crisp by morning :niceone: i used to let my jacket dry naturally in the garage and found that it wasnt dry in the morning and started to smell like ass coz it was moist for long periods from repeatedly getting wet and not being allowed to fully dry....

protection first IMHO :whistle:

Zim_Invader
2nd September 2008, 23:59
i reckon it's about time i add to this thread!!! (muhuhuhahahah).

i got my gear from botany honda. it's more than decent, gloves keep dry enough, and only get a little cold in the heavy rains. the jacket does what it needs to, tho a bit of moisture does get through (easily enough too) - learnt that the hard way, and spent 3 days rying out my phone. moral there, keep phone in bag where it will def be dry!

what i'm getting at is, i paid 550 at botany honda, which is peanuts for full gear. the boots are fairly stiff but u get use to them really quickly. i got a bonus on my pants - they didn't have my size in pants so got upgraded to a pair of spykes! fully waterproof! (i mean fully fully, not that 75% partial nonsense like the jacket). the gear i got will last long enough, provided i don't fall often.. kyle's seems to be lasting him well enough... the only thing he had to buy was gloves, that too becoz he lost one.

good luck in the hunt. i spent a good 3 months looking around. (for various reasons). ended up getting myself a beautiful vtr250. the guy i got it from was really good. i paid 3400, but in the end added 550 to that for new tyres, and chain + sprockets. still, 4000 for teh bike in the condition it's in is a steal! as andrew said, it is prob the BEST bike to learn on. have ridden banzai's GN, and ehab's gsx, also a gpx.

if u want the contact info of the guy i got my stuff from lemme know. he imports cars, but gets some bikes every now and then too... again, he's a great guy, and won't play u. priced really really well too.

don't let the gpx slip bye. t's a great bike. got more than enough kick (above 6000 rpms) - again learnt the hard way... but still. i'm happy i got the vtr. i took andrew with me before i bought it. he's great. u should see these guys. haha. they're the funniest when they inspect a bike.... first bike we saw was a gpx, and i managed to round up about 4 other guys. jaffa, andrew and kyle pounced and were pulling at bits, flicking things left and right, like rabid dogs on a piece of steak. it was remarkable! they're really efficient!

ital916
3rd September 2008, 08:23
Sound about right?

wrong. Don't get cheap gear. Get quality. Good gear lasts longer, causes less drama and will provide a more comfortable riding experience. Again I recommend the rev it warp jacket. Not saleperson spool but from the fact I've ridden it through weeks of rain and absolutely shit conditions and it is yet to fail me. I only wear rain pants, the warp jacket doesn't need anything on top, it's just a pain getting gear to dry in time.

And non of this cordura will melt to your skin or not protect you talk that you will hear. Cordura is very good at protection, only it's a one use thing. If you crash you have to replace it, a step that I highly recommend of all your gear if you crash. You won't crash though.

JBJB
3rd September 2008, 09:22
not bad at all, you're off to a good start
welcome to KB:)
Is this your first ever bike? ANY prior experience?
I'd strongly suggest going around and having a look, bring someone like myself/avgas or whoever is keen and actually knows what they're looking at incase there's something wrong.
EDIT: and go have a sit on a few bikes to see what they're like. on your learners don't expect a test ride, but if you bring myself/avgas they can have a blat for you to check the gearbox etc is all good. if they wont let a full licenced rider test ride then dont buy it.

Cheers mate. This will be my first bike. Apart from a few blats on farms, lessons for the learners and a few test rides I'm a total newbie.

So you don't reckon I should be testing bikes myself? I went for a couple of test rides (oops) one of which was pretty nuts when I was on my own and stalled it in the middle of Henderson shops with a flat battery (the guy hadn't ridden it for ages).

I had a ride on a vtr on the north shore and liked it but they all seem to be up around 5/6K for a late 90's one with a few km under the belt. It'd be mint if someone could come and check the odd bike out with me.

motorbyclist
3rd September 2008, 12:26
wrong. Don't get cheap gear. Get quality.

uh, that IS what he was saying

And non of this cordura will melt to your skin or not protect you talk that you will hear.

who says that? i've heard that stuff about the plastic/nylon gear (like most rain jackets) but not codura

and it was from a shop salesperson too....

Cheers mate. This will be my first bike. Apart from a few blats on farms, lessons for the learners and a few test rides I'm a total newbie.

So you don't reckon I should be testing bikes myself?

lol sorry no i meant that i wouldn't go expecting people to let you test ride their bike. if they won't let a fully licenced rider then they (might) have got something they don't want found.
if they decline a learner a test ride, well that's just common sense:laugh:

and of course an experienced rider/mechanic will look/test for a lot of problems while riding that you won't yet know about;)

as for experience having a few blats on a farm will help you more than you'd think - pure road riders generally don't learn how to crash or handle a loss of traction without serious penalty;)

I had a ride on a vtr on the north shore and liked it but they all seem to be up around 5/6K for a late 90's one with a few km under the belt. It'd be mint if someone could come and check the odd bike out with me.

we managed to get zimm set up on a mint vtr for $4k once it had new tyres

what exactly is your machine budget looking like (too many ppl in one thread, hard to keep track of who's who)

JBJB
3rd September 2008, 15:47
I would say that $4K would be my max.

I know purple is not the most manly colour but this seems like a pretty sweet deals in terms of value for money:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=173749544

Slyer
3rd September 2008, 16:02
Holy crap! I'll have that! I can afford that!
I might steal your bike :D
Its like a 2 minute walk from my work.

ital916
3rd September 2008, 16:07
uh, that IS what he was saying

He listed three options, I said wrong, don't get cheap gear get quality. Hence negating two out fo those three options. whatever trevor.

JBJB
3rd September 2008, 16:24

Help! Some punk is nicking my bike! :Police:

Haha! I guess you gotta be quick around here. Maybe I shouldn't have posted it in a forum...

Squiggles
3rd September 2008, 16:30

Its a two stroke 150.... given your failure to start your other two stroke, are you sure you want one?

JBJB
3rd September 2008, 16:33
I just called them and it's already sold to some guy in Huntly (conditional on a test ride on Sat). Gutted.

motorbyclist
3rd September 2008, 16:56
i suppose now is when i strongly advise against a two stroke for your first bike

Slyer
3rd September 2008, 17:41
The price screamed out at me. Logic flys out the window. :D

PirateJafa
3rd September 2008, 20:22
Besides, Jafa would happily take it off his hands once he realised he didn't have the right allen key for it.

Then would promptly seize it.

Slyer
3rd September 2008, 20:26
This bandit looks like a good deal eh:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-174222124.htm

Zim_Invader
3rd September 2008, 21:44
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-174679672.htm - looks suspect tho... the price will skyrocket (mid 2's), but it's a kwakka, so i'd say get in touch with sum1 down there then arrange for a road trip to pick it up!)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-174496506.htm - talk to hanne. she has one. this has amazingly low k's, so i'd assume it's been overclocked. also, price is a bit up there, but with sme magical hackling u can always sweeten teh deal.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-164742335.htm - for teh age, i'm thinkin clocked as well, but being a honda, itd serve u well. plus, being a honda, insurance is dirt cheap! (compared to most).
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-174016036.htm - isn't it pretty?!!?!?! asking for 4000... im sure u can drop this to about 3700, mayb 3600. k's are lower than waht i paid. u get a free stand, and lets face it.. u'll be changint the muffler anyway! :p

that's my take of teh things that were listed... there's where my interest would've been, had i still been on your end of teh biking world. good luck guys, hope something works out here...

also, i've gotten back in touch with toshio (the guy i got my bike from). asked him to email me a list of teh 250's he's got at teh moment. i'll let u know what he says. if u want his contact info, pm me and i'll pass it on.

BANZAI
3rd September 2008, 22:07
I always want to be different from anyone else so heres my choices.

$4.5- 4k range

Yamaha SRV
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers//auction-161652541.htm

Kawasaki Balius
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports//auction-136813419.htm

Honda GB250
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports//auction-170948008.htm

Scorpio (red one!)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports//auction-105011035.htm

Whoa this is 4x of the price I got mine, what a rip off!!! :Playnice:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-169561390.htm

Under 4k
Another SRV
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers//auction-172200033.htm

Suzuki DR200 (it needs to be registered on road tho)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dirt-bikes//auction-119750939.htm

Suzuki Volty!!!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports//auction-161934485.htm

Theres few more but I guess you guys had enough of my wrong taste for bikes lol

motorbyclist
3rd September 2008, 22:34
that bandit looks ok for that price

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-174679672.htm - looks suspect tho... the price will skyrocket (mid 2's), but it's a kwakka, so i'd say get in touch with sum1 down there then arrange for a road trip to pick it up!)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-174496506.htm - talk to hanne. she has one. this has amazingly low k's, so i'd assume it's been overclocked. also, price is a bit up there, but with sme magical hackling u can always sweeten teh deal.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-164742335.htm - for teh age, i'm thinkin clocked as well, but being a honda, itd serve u well. plus, being a honda, insurance is dirt cheap! (compared to most).
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-174016036.htm - isn't it pretty?!!?!?! asking for 4000... im sure u can drop this to about 3700, mayb 3600. k's are lower than waht i paid. u get a free stand, and lets face it.. u'll be changint the muffler anyway! :p

kawa ex250f is as lemon - i can tell from here. good for stephen not for us
kawa zzr looks a lot better but poor photos. worth a look perhaps.
vt250 spada looks very tidy. i don't believe those km's either but it does look unusually tidy - maybe unplugged the odo?
that vtr250 looks mean as! bugger the muffler that's not an issue

now to look at what the other learner has learnt....

Slyer
3rd September 2008, 22:37
Whaddya think of the bandit?

motorbyclist
3rd September 2008, 22:40
I always want to be different from anyone else so heres my choices.

srv looks quite good

balius looks tidy too

GB250, again tidy

scorpio in a cool colour

$4k GN250 is a ripoff, corrosion is minor

red svr look real good - why don't dushi's look like that?:laugh:

don't both with a non legal bike

volty looks ok

not too bad, a shame they're all on the pricey side

motorbyclist
3rd September 2008, 23:06
that bandit looks ok for that price

Whaddya think of the bandit?

someone will need to view it

JBJB
4th September 2008, 08:14
The balius, zzr and vtr all look pretty sweet. Pity the balius is out of my price range coz it looks mac! How much do you reckon to fix the muffler on the vtr?

This one also seems alright, like the colour: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=173481801

BANZAI
4th September 2008, 08:36
The balius, zzr and vtr all look pretty sweet. Pity the balius is out of my price range coz it looks mac! How much do you reckon to fix the muffler on the vtr?

This one also seems alright, like the colour: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=173481801

Just to let you know there is GSX250FX if you like the Balius. They are exactly same thing but Suzuki badge on :p

I know a guy imported one so if you really really want Balius, I can ask him for one (but then it's gonna take ages to get shipped from Japan etc)

When I'm typing this I found one in trademe. (well over your price range)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-141718974.htm

Balius in good price range! But do you wanna go down to Welly and get it?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-174026218.htm

motorbyclist
4th September 2008, 10:24

couldn't hurt to look

JBJB
4th September 2008, 14:26
If I am comparing a brand new Scorpio for $4,250 and a 7 year old vtr with 38000km on the clock for $4K I would err on the side of the yamaha. Is there something about scorpios that makes them so cheap? Or vtrs that makes them hold their value so well (apart from being in the learner bike category)?

klyong82
4th September 2008, 15:33
If I am comparing a brand new Scorpio for $4,250 and a 7 year old vtr with 38000km on the clock for $4K I would err on the side of the yamaha. Is there something about scorpios that makes them so cheap? Or vtrs that makes them hold their value so well (apart from being in the learner bike category)?

Its a Honda so it will hold its value. The yammie is a single cylinder while the VTR is V-twin so expect to get more power out of the Honda.

Patar
4th September 2008, 16:30
brand new scorpio you can expect as much if not more to go wrong as on the vtr.

Ignoring the effect the law change will have on prices, if you keep the vtr maintained and don't crash it, the resale price should be pretty much the same.
That and they're great fun.

motorbyclist
4th September 2008, 17:46
vtr is the better bike all round (fun, performance, reliability, versatility, resale, looks) - it's that simple

bomma
4th September 2008, 18:54
i :love: the vtr!!! it's such an AWESOME bike!!! its like sex on wheels (till you get your full) and soo much fun and AWESOME and cool and did i mention AWESOME?!?!?! :love::love::love:

motorbyclist
4th September 2008, 20:12
and even once you've got your full you have a blat on one and still appreciate how stable it feels in corners:D

Zim_Invader
6th September 2008, 19:02
buddy, on the vtr, u feel more at ease wit taking a turn at a harder angle. 6 weeks and i peg scraped (did a ride out to piha today, on my own... goot speeds, but again, i couldn't do the andrew turn - double and add ten... had to settle for double and minus 5. hahah... but it's a big improvement!):Punk:

have now added the gsx to my list of "have ridden" bikes. if u want a faired bikt, i' suggest u consider the gsx. it looks bulky, but it's such a sweet ride! comfortable seat and riding posture, fairing make a big difference when at fairly high speeds or in open road areas, plus, it has enough pull and though not as much torque as the vtr:eek:, it's still enough to get u by!

but still.... dont think twice if u're stuck between new scorpio (new = ~5000 km) or fairly used vtr (fairly = ~35000km). i'd say stick with the honda for reliability, and a great experience teacher, and plain brilliant!! the vtr will take care of u, and the big tyre at the back, plus it's fairly light weight makes it sooo nimble bud! hands down, i love the vtr, it's def my choice of a fisrt bike. easy to learn on, easy to get better at using! u'll be doing burnouts after 3 days, wheelies after 4 weeks, and peg scrapes after 6 weeks (not that i did any of that... of course):whistle:

Slyer
6th September 2008, 19:05
And it only took you how many pages to choose it? :P

motorbyclist
6th September 2008, 19:23
buddy, on the vtr, u feel more at ease wit taking a turn at a harder angle. 6 weeks and i peg scraped (did a ride out to piha today, on my own... goot speeds, but again, i couldn't do the andrew turn - double and add ten... had to settle for double and minus 5. hahah... but it's a big improvement!):Punk:

watch out you don't hurt yourself mate - while (if) the vtr could possibly do it at that speed you're yet to learn what to do (and not do) if it all turns to custard;
unless it's a clear road you know well, or ideally a racetrack, you should always have available lean - if the pegs are scraping around a blind corner there's next to nothing you can do if something unexpected happens

go hard m8

have now added the gsx to my list of "have ridden" bikes. if u want a faired bikt, i' suggest u consider the gsx. it looks bulky, but it's such a sweet ride! comfortable seat and riding posture, fairing make a big difference when at fairly high speeds or in open road areas, plus, it has enough pull and though not as much torque as the vtr:eek:, it's still enough to get u by!

yep, pretty much what i thought too:niceone:

but still.... dont think twice if u're stuck between new scorpio (new = ~5000 km) or fairly used vtr (fairly = ~35000km). i'd say stick with the honda for reliability, and a great experience teacher, and plain brilliant!! the vtr will take care of u, and the big tyre at the back, plus it's fairly light weight makes it sooo nimble bud! hands down, i love the vtr, it's def my choice of a fisrt bike. easy to learn on, easy to get better at using!

yep, i think i'm going to officially call Zim an SMC success: no bins, good attitude, and already knows what makes a good machine (and rider) aside from straight line speed.

i think it's clear what we've been doing wrong in the past - no more suzukis and no more two strokes (just look at how dushi turned out after his suzuki rg150:crazy:)

PirateJafa
6th September 2008, 22:17
yep, i think i'm going to officially call Zim an SMC success: no bins, good attitude, and already knows what makes a good machine (and rider) aside from straight line speed.

We might need to teach him that fat rear tyres =/= make a bike nimble though. ;)

JBJB
6th September 2008, 23:49
So now all I gotta do is find a vtr in my price range (under $4K) in reasonably good nick... although I still kinda like the hyo comet. I have had a brief ride on both the vtr and the comet. The vtr felt like it gave me a little bit of cramp in my thigh (I'm 6'0 and 80kg) but don't know whether that was just coz I'm not used to bikes. I had a longer ride on the vtr and apart from almost crapping myself (coz it was first decent road ride) it was very fun :yes: Sounds like you're a full-on convert Zim

motorbyclist
7th September 2008, 04:41
We might need to teach him that fat rear tyres =/= make a bike nimble though. ;)

true, but i've seen "experienced" riders on KB muck that one up too:slap:

motorbyclist
7th September 2008, 14:17
So now all I gotta do is find a vtr in my price range (under $4K) in reasonably good nick... although I still kinda like the hyo comet. I have had a brief ride on both the vtr and the comet. The vtr felt like it gave me a little bit of cramp in my thigh (I'm 6'0 and 80kg) but don't know whether that was just coz I'm not used to bikes. I had a longer ride on the vtr and apart from almost crapping myself (coz it was first decent road ride) it was very fun :yes: Sounds like you're a full-on convert Zim

might pay to ask zim to ask the importer he got his from

Phurrball
7th September 2008, 16:38
The VTR250 is all the better for its relatively NARROW tyres - our one has a 130 rear - which is SMALLER than the OEM 140 section tyre.

I like it just the way it is - think, and it turns.

It's a very different beast to the big viffer it shares a shed with - I :love: both for their differences = best of both worlds!

I still have no idea why Honda felt the need to put a massively oversize 180 on the Hornet 250 :no:

motorbyclist
7th September 2008, 17:55
because it's a 250 motor in the 600 chassis

which is completely friggen backwards

Zim_Invader
7th September 2008, 23:21

got a message from choco on my vtr mod-list thread. he said mt eden motors, do a good deal, new aftermarket muffler for 200. good price. dan has a contact, that i need to re-meet, rying to see if i can get that one for 180. otherwise, there's andrews good asian friend, the one with the dodgy imports... he's well priced, and i'm def tempted to go there if the one with dan doesn't pan out well for me.

GO HOONNNDDDAAAAs

watch out you don't hurt yourself mate - while (if) the vtr could possibly do it at that speed you're yet to learn what to do (and not do) if it all turns to custard;
unless it's a clear road you know well, or ideally a racetrack, you should always have available lean - if the pegs are scraping around a blind corner there's next to nothing you can do if something unexpected happens

go hard m8

yep, pretty much what i thought too:niceone:

i think it's clear what we've been doing wrong in the past - no more suzukis and no more two strokes (just look at how dushi turned out after his suzuki rg150:crazy:)

haha.... shux mate, u make e blush! (i'm just a little biking fined like u all... learnin my way around this pretty little wrld of ours. haha. besides, great advisors, so lots of mistakes avoided just by paying attention and doing what i'm told. (and minimisin teh freuency of silly stunts... silly, sometime, but cool, always!!!!!)... now fingers crossed i don't bin the baby!!!

so, this straight line speed u speak of. elaborate a bit plz.

yea, i was a bit worried after that peg scrape. i know the road a scraped on (it's the road my house is on, so have riden it lots. big enough lanes, so oncoming traffic isn't a big worry). have taken the turns a bit easier since. chain's loose once again, so will be at uni tightenin it tomorrow, and changin that chain wax for soem chain lube instead (apparently the wax isn't as good for teh sprockets as the lube... sure teh lube gets messy, but i don't care for that mess, more teh maintenance level of the important bits... right?)..

also, on teh fairly hi speed turns, i've been getting more sure to the ild back brake to cut my speed... gently footwork, and slight front. everytime i front braked before, the fron would buccle (ever so slightly, so i'd release the brake and cut throttle, straighten up and slow down, then resume turn at a near stopped speed)... so just to get ths one point right, if it's too late into a turn and u realise u're too quick, with no more lean to spare, is it better to get a bit upright and ure more back brake than front, as it gives u a bit more control. (found that fron brake in a turn killed the ability to turn tighter all at low speeeds ofcourse).

- so, basically cut throttle, get as upright as possible, brake (front and back, and if the kerb then get too close to keep straight line braking, bank hard and turn more, now at a lower speed (bake brake helps t swing the front a bit more, when done with a lot of care and control)...? hope that's right. otherwise i've been playing russian roulette, and gotten away too luckily.

haha. i'm about 5' 10/11'', weigh 72kg. it's a bit uncomfy after a really really loong ride, and the tank can hurt on a quick stop when u aren't fully bracing yourself....(happens on all bikes). te seat slides u foreward a bit too. but apart from that, it's not so bad. i mean that part is a really realy slight agitation, that u kinda manage t ignore really quickly (2 curves and u're pretty much oblivious to most discomforts anyway). u'll adjust quick. but again, for max comfort, keep the gsx in mind. prob my most comfy ride so far (rider, and as a pillion).
what can i say... them hondas got me early! i was sold from day -9 (ie 9 days before i making last depsit.... andrew's pretty good at, not coaxing, but stating teh many many great facts of teh vtr (hondas in general, really)).

that so? haha. what can i say. my inexperience on a variety of bike types shows too well. guess that the extra weight on teh gsx made the turns feel hevier and so less nimble. but u're right, in that the gpx felt really quick on teh bends. more responsive thatn teh vtr.... hmmm... i still have lots more bike to ride and so compare the turn feeling, before i'll understand teh difference.. mayb i'll take a gpx then some1's hornet 250, both for a bood 1 hour in the twisties... that'll prob give the clearest diff... both light, and so comparable.

And it only took you how many pages to choose it? :P

mhuhuhhahahaaha (that won't embarass me, (anymore), it's a feat to be marvelled! not many can create such a great thread! it's like analogue to teh great wall of china, for this forum!!!! mbhuhuhahahha!!!! it pure evil genius!!!!

haha, but then hey, some good did come out of it too.... i did finally get a bike,and really learnt how to pick out a decent one. caught onto a few keys to look out for and the such... it's a great peice of learning literature! haha... we shold rename it, the encyclopedia on buying a first bike. haha, then all patent it, get it published, and make millions ( i call dibs on 50% of profits, simply becoz i can, and my name's now all over that thread!!!! haha)

and here now ends this massive response...

Zim_Invader
8th September 2008, 00:04
note to newbies... creating a thread that become a very very long one can have detrimental effects on your sanity... haha. bewre, u've been warned. ! haha. enjoy this lads. a first bike is one thing u never frget. it's like flying your first solo... your first ride home with a bike that is your very own... u'l recall all the details. for years to come! it's like evryythin is embedded into your memory in extsra slow motion, for clarity and sheer joy!!!! ... so, soak up and enjoy!!

Ragingrob
8th September 2008, 00:07
Or just buy a bike, and ride it...

Works for me.

Zim_Invader
8th September 2008, 00:11
:p hahah.. u're such a buzz kill... reply with more words! haha. (show us teh passion u have for biking!) haha. but i agree. find and just buy. i've texted teh importer i got my bike from. no word back yet, so gonna ride past his work tomorrow. if he's not there i'll give him a call and see what he has in stock. i'll update here as i get more info.

bomma
8th September 2008, 00:12
also, on teh fairly hi speed turns, i've been getting more sure to the ild back brake to cut my speed... gently footwork, and slight front. everytime i front braked before, the fron would buccle (ever so slightly, so i'd release the brake and cut throttle, straighten up and slow down, then resume turn at a near stopped speed)... so just to get ths one point right, if it's too late into a turn and u realise u're too quick, with no more lean to spare, is it better to get a bit upright and ure more back brake than front, as it gives u a bit more control. (found that fron brake in a turn killed the ability to turn tighter all at low speeeds ofcourse).

- so, basically cut throttle, get as upright as possible, brake (front and back, and if the kerb then get too close to keep straight line braking, bank hard and turn more, now at a lower speed (bake brake helps t swing the front a bit more, when done with a lot of care and control)...? hope that's right. otherwise i've been playing russian roulette, and gotten away too luckily.

if you find yourself caught up shit's creek while cornering, remember one thing - your bike will go a lot harder than you will. if you think you are goin too quick around the corner, AT ALL COSTS FIGHT YOUR INSTINCTS TO BRAKE AND GET UPRIGHT!! this will usually find you at the bottom of a ditch or ko'd on the curb.....AT ALL COSTS FIGHT THE URGE TO LOOK AT WHAT IS DIRECTLY AHEAD OF YOU!! where the head goes the body follows and target fixation is an unruly bitch!! if you stare at the corner you are trying to avoid, buddy you are already fucked!!

keep looking around the corner, the bike will keep going.

if you are not already peg scraping, then there is obviously more lean so the bike can handle it.

dont get hard on the brakes. feather them both and throttle off to lose speed but dont get on them coz that will severly decrease your cornering ability and you WILL be fucked. if you get hard on the front while leaned over YOU WILL BE FUCKED. If you get hard on the rear while leaned over YOU WILL BE FUCKED. it's a fine margin between enough and too much in such events so it's upto your understanding of your machine that will ultimately see you through. nuff said

learn from this and brake earlier next time so you can avoid such incidents :scooter:

Zim_Invader
8th September 2008, 00:39
if you find yourself caught up shit's creek while cornering, remember one thing - your bike will go a lot harder than you will. if you think you are goin too quick around the corner, AT ALL COSTS FIGHT YOUR INSTINCTS TO BRAKE AND GET UPRIGHT!! this will usually find you at the bottom of a ditch or ko'd on the curb.....AT ALL COSTS FIGHT THE URGE TO LOOK AT WHAT IS DIRECTLY AHEAD OF YOU!! where the head goes the body follows and target fixation is an unruly bitch!! if you stare at the corner you are trying to avoid, buddy you are already fucked!!

keep looking around the corner, the bike will keep going.

if you are not already peg scraping, then there is obviously more lean so the bike can handle it.

dont get hard on the brakes. feather them both and throttle off to lose speed but dont get on them coz that will severly decrease your cornering ability and you WILL be fucked. if you get hard on the front while leaned over YOU WILL BE FUCKED. If you get hard on the rear while leaned over YOU WILL BE FUCKED. it's a fine margin between enough and too much in such events so it's upto your understanding of your machine that will ultimately see you through. nuff said

learn from this and brake earlier next time so you can avoid such incidents :scooter:

cheers! that clears that up. yea, have reduced corner entry speed lots recently. i figured, if i can take it faster, then i'll increase speed in the turn, but it'd be stupid to get into it and be all PANIC-JACK trying to find my way out of one big ass mess. but wull keep chin up and keep my eyes in teh right direction. brake use, minimal, all throttle control!

bling there too, t u nichey!

motorbyclist
8th September 2008, 01:00
as i said before - if it's blind you need available lean

this means if a car comes around on the wrong side of the road - and believe me they do - you can go either way around them, preferably to your left or the opposite to what they're doing. sideswipe or clip is better than a head on.

if it all turns to shit mid corner your actions will reflect what the problem is:

corner gets tighter: use that lean and keep looking around corner, don't button off too much or things may go pear shaped. if you don't know the road you should be aware that sometimes a 35 really means 35; going blind into a 35 at 70 will not end well no matter what you do.

rocks, mud, pothole, dushi's bike: look at your escape route and your bike will go there - if you lean too far over it'll lowside and you'll be better off behind bike than infront of it. bomma fucked this up and looked at the rock, hit it and landed in a ditch. bike then followed him into said ditch.

gravel, water, ice, mud etc that can't be dodged: travel straight(er) & upright(er) over the slippery stuff and crank back over once you're clear. basically don't try to turn faster than traction allows, and when you lean back over you'll be on a dry bit of rubber again. i find brakes are effective at scrubbing speed and getting bike upright, and the NC30 could slide at least a foot without detriment (don't expect that from a vtr though)

oncoming traffic: think of it as a really big rock, as above.

bikes don't brake well in corners due to lack of traction. what they DO do well is dodge things. target fixate on the safe spot and dont panic

of course, to be safe we should not be going flat tack into blind corners. the road is not a racetrack. if you crash mid corner due to a "surprise" that was there before you entered the corner you were travelling too fast.
follow someone who knows the road, pick roads you know and be aware that things can be dodgy after recent rain/storms, and try not to cut into the inside of a corner until you can see a clear exit.

goddammit i sound like an old man

Slyer
8th September 2008, 01:07
Better than an old woman.

bomma
8th September 2008, 11:36
rocks, mud, pothole, dushi's bike: look at your escape route and your bike will go there - if you lean too far over it'll lowside and you'll be better off behind bike than infront of it. bomma fucked this up and looked at the rock, hit it and landed in a ditch. bike then followed him into said ditch.

hehe was staring into the car actually....still remember the looks on both the driver and the passenger's faces :mellow::shit: but yea what i sould have been doing is looking around the corner....something that i have learnt from and will ensure NEVER happens again :calm:

of course, to be safe we should not be going flat tack into blind corners. the road is not a racetrack. if you crash mid corner due to a "surprise" that was there before you entered the corner you were travelling too fast.

+1385027403249 :cool: better to say "hey look there is a rock in my way, better dodge it" than to say "HOLY SHIT I CANT BELIEVE I DODGED THAT ROCK!!!" or worse:oi-grr:

Squiggles
8th September 2008, 17:56
I've got a couple of articles from bike mags to post up later, will put them in another thread but they're definately worth a read while we're on this topic....

Phurrball
8th September 2008, 18:30
because it's a 250 motor in the 600 chassis

which is completely friggen backwards

Oh.

Again - Why??

(I know, I know - blah blah production costs, platform sharing etc...but still WHY?! Small bikes are good BECAUSE they're small and their tyres are in proportion to the rest of them. Why, why, why...)

Edit - sorry to sidetrack from the discussion. ^^^ The wise words of the gentlmen above belie their years. Chur fullas!

Squiggles
8th September 2008, 20:15
Tada! They're hosted on photobucket, there are two articles there, one on the "Panic" response, the other on picking/executing your lines
http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/Squigglesxv/Bike%20Mag%20Articles/
Both are good reading for all riders

Slyer
8th September 2008, 20:22
Sweet cheers.
/me reads

Hanne
8th September 2008, 22:46
come buy MY bike!
Her name is Madison, she enjoys long rides up North and is incredibly style-conscious.
Call her.
She's waiting....

Slyer
8th September 2008, 22:59
Got a price yet hanne?
The purple colour should bring it down to nearly free right?

bomma
8th September 2008, 23:26
i'll give you $20 and you pay for the new paintjob :rofl:

Zim_Invader
9th September 2008, 01:36
or alternatively, keep the paintjob, and i'll take the bike and 500 buck to take her off yer hands :D haha... then, off to ehabs to rid it if that purple-ness that plagues an otherwise beautiful kwakka!

PirateJafa
9th September 2008, 02:43
She's waiting....

...to explode. :whistle:

BANZAI
10th September 2008, 22:09
I can swap the GN with you if you pay me $500 extra to pay off my fines :p :p :p

klyong82
11th September 2008, 09:18
Give you $500 for Madison ... as it needs a big touch up but would be good for the missus to ride...probably takes her mind off shopping everyday

JBJB
12th October 2008, 16:20
Sorry to ressurect this thread after it has been dead for a month but is anyone free to check out an fxr150 on the shore this week? I'd rather not test ride it since I'm such a newbie. It'd also be sweet to have someone there who knew a thing or two about bikes rather than just me pretending to have a thorough look at it. PM me if anyone is free any evenings...

Slyer
12th October 2008, 18:43
Where abouts is it man? I work on the shore so I could maybe help.
I know a few things but I'm a newbie too!

JBJB
12th October 2008, 19:41
Thanks for the offer dude but the seller just withdrew it from TradeMe so I'm assuming it's gone-burgers. Guts. Oh well, I'll find something one day...

Anyone know a transport company who do a good deal from Welly to Auckland? A few fxrs on sale in welly within my price range.

Slyer
12th October 2008, 19:48
Not sure man but EJK just rode an FXR150 to wellington and back the other week. :P
Have a read of his review here:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=83758

Zim_Invader
12th October 2008, 22:47
Thanks for the offer dude but the seller just withdrew it from TradeMe so I'm assuming it's gone-burgers. Guts. Oh well, I'll find something one day...

Anyone know a transport company who do a good deal from Welly to Auckland? A few fxrs on sale in welly within my price range.

so did that japanese car importer get back in touch with you mate? did u manage to see anything half decent? - actually, i'm just going to assume u haven't managed to find anything great yet.

i'll wizz around trademe over the next few days. i'm assuming your budget is still roughly $3500? have u managed to secure any decent gear at least? u may wanna consider contacting a guy on kb who goes by the name "quasimodo". legendary dude. they may have some good stuff in stock at a decent price - they're known to have some good specials from time to time.

motorbyclist
12th October 2008, 22:55
quasimoto

with a 't'

Zim_Invader
12th October 2008, 23:09
quasimoto

with a 't'

haha... i wasn't fully certain there, and so went with a blind guess - but the point was delivered(ish).

also, what, again were these straight line speeds thing i had to work on? i can't remember reading the explanation.

otherwise, i rode to muriwai with ben and ehab (for one of our class' field trips). it was ok enough, with regards to the weather. but the riding itself, was really fun!!, so it was compensated for! but i swear some cars are really frustrating to be stuck behind! they drive at half a nanna pace! and it's even worse when u're forced behind them due to a "double yellow line"....:angry2:... mumble, dam things.. there should just be 2 sepparate "one way" roads, for anything outside(ish) of auckland - imo

motorbyclist
12th October 2008, 23:15
also, what, again were these straight line speeds thing i had to work on? i can't remember reading the explanation.

what?

any idiot can ride/drive fast in a straight line

PirateJafa
12th October 2008, 23:32
there should just be 2 sepparate "one way" roads, for anything outside(ish) of auckland - imo

The Government is working on it. With wire median barriers. <_<

motorbyclist
12th October 2008, 23:40
double yellow, white or no line at all, i just use common sense and either pass when safe or back off to a safe distance

JBJB
13th October 2008, 09:51
actually, i'm just going to assume u haven't managed to find anything great yet.

i'm assuming your budget is still roughly $3500? have u managed to secure any decent gear at least?

Your assumptions would be correct. Unfortunately still bike-less. Dissertation is taking up too much time and I can't find much in Auckland.

My budget for the learner bike has actually been reigned in big time by the missus. It is now around $2K which makes a big difference in the bikes I'm looking at (hence the fxr). With the shift in the goal-post I assumed that there was no point in contacting the importer as I would most likely be wasting his time.

I do have all my gear now (got some oxtar boots finally) so I'm ready to go, just need the crucial ingredient (two wheels).

motorbyclist
13th October 2008, 11:53
My budget for the learner bike has actually been reigned in big time by the missus. It is now around $2K which makes a big difference in the bikes I'm looking at (hence the fxr). With the shift in the goal-post I assumed that there was no point in contacting the importer as I would most likely be wasting his time.

hey it never hurts to ask - he got zim a very good deal after all

and $2k is heaps to play with - i got my gsxr250 for that and squiggles got his rgv250 for that too

just remember the longer you wait the more money you'll have

Zim_Invader
13th October 2008, 16:51
hey it never hurts to ask - he got zim a very good deal after all

and $2k is heaps to play with - i got my gsxr250 for that and squiggles got his rgv250 for that too

just remember the longer you wait the more money you'll have

yea, i started with the same budget, as my sister bailed out on her promise to donate 2k towards my bike. but 3 months and about 30 pages, with a good 500 posts later, i managed to fork out an extra 2000, and bought my vtr!

The Government is working on it. With wire median barriers. <_<
ahahaha!!! that's sad, but funny. budget govt want's to make it better for cars, but more dangerous for bikers....typical!<_<
i say we just load up 30mm cannons onto the front of the bikes, and clear our own path. if anything should move in front of us, in even a slightly threatening manner, we turn it to dust! (along wit most of teh road we're riding on... but then we're skilled riders, right, we should manage somehow).

double yellow, white or no line at all, i just use common sense and either pass when safe or back off to a safe distance

that's a lesson learned for the next ride!

here's where i'm asking what u meant by straight line speeds. :confused: (as u said...

what?

any idiot can ride/drive fast in a straight line

Zim_Invader
13th October 2008, 16:53
i wonder how much the yzf 125's will go for? that's always one to consider if it's within the budget. i'm sure andrew gave a decent opinion on the bike some time back.

every1... keep your peeperz peeled for a possible yzf for sale on the nz roads!

Hanne
13th October 2008, 16:55
z
z
r
>10char<

Slyer
13th October 2008, 17:00
Hey yeah, I know a friend who knows a friend who's selling a purple zzr soon...

Hanne
13th October 2008, 17:05
Hey yeah, I know a friend who knows a friend who's selling a purple zzr soon...

How coincidental!
Just like continental....
FREE PASTA SACHET with successful sale of zzr250!

motorbyclist
13th October 2008, 17:06
here's where i'm asking what u meant by straight line speeds. :confused: (as u said...

go on an american forum and the major decider to buy a bike is the top speed and quarter mile time

nothing to do with handling, brakes, reliability, etc etc

and going fast in a straight line requires zero skill

once riders realise this they are instantly better off

Hanne
13th October 2008, 17:09
go on an american forum and the major decider to buy a bike is the top speed and quarter mile time

nothing to do with handling, brakes, reliability, etc etc

and going fast in a straight line requires zero skill

once riders realise this they are instantly better off

Would you really trust the judgement of someone who puts their bike on a trailer to get the long flat straight, rides along bang ahead and back bang ahead and then trailers the bike home?

I think they must have birds in their brains or something.

Slyer
13th October 2008, 17:16
Speaking of which, any idea when you are getting said bike back?

Hanne
13th October 2008, 19:21
Um.
No.
:blank:

Dolph
13th October 2008, 23:56
Thanks ppl, I gleaned some useful info from this thread...
1. Get the 'rest' of the gear first - helmet, gloves, jacket etc.. and get the best you can !!
2. Set the budget for the bike
3. Search around
4. Ask all of the nice KBers for advice and/or possible help with picking a bike
5. Part with hard earned cash

EASY !!

Oh,...and put myself through my learners too !

Now where is the nearest bike shop in Kerikeri,...oh,...there isn't one :(

Looks like I'm heading down to Auckland soon then.....

JBJB
14th October 2008, 07:07
I'm wondering if it's worth the risk to just buy something like one of these from Wellington:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-182359475.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=181263572

Don't check em out, but just trust the previous owners that it's in good nick. No one in Auckland is selling bikes this cheap.

Alternatively, anyone know someone down in Welly who would be willing to check these bikes out?

Slyer
14th October 2008, 07:32
Yerp those fxr's look like they're in pretty good nick. (is that how you spell nick?)
Take a week off, fly down and then spend the rest of the week slowly riding back up. ;)

JBJB
14th October 2008, 09:15
Take a week off, fly down and then spend the rest of the week slowly riding back up. ;)

I'd love to but I I work full time as well as study and so I have had to take heaps of time off already for study... plus I don't think it would be a good idea that my first big ride be coming back from wellington on an fxr (I've heard their pretty uncomfortable after more than 30 minutes of riding). I remember reading a thread about a newbie who crashed his bike on upper harbour drive after after driving it back from buying it in Hamiltron or something...

I am actually flying down to Wellington in a just over a month. If I'm still bike-less by then I may just have to drive something back.

JBJB
14th October 2008, 09:18
Plus by the time I pay for a weeks worth accomadation, fast food and petrol I could have just shipped it up (around $200 I think) and saved myself a week of earning. Although I would've missed out on a good ride :)

Slyer
14th October 2008, 09:19
Hrmmm yes about that...

PirateJafa
14th October 2008, 09:25
ZZR to be perfectly honest. A 250 will be able to do group rides. A 150 will be thrashed to hell to keep up.

Best way to avoid potential regrets later on.

motorbyclist
14th October 2008, 11:31
Don't check em out, but just trust the previous owners that it's in good nick. No one in Auckland is selling bikes this cheap.

that would be a poor idea - but that silver one does look promising

bikes out of auckland are always cheaper as they're harder to sell (all the buyers are in auckland and cbf going to wellington for them)

Alternatively, anyone know someone down in Welly who would be willing to check these bikes out?

that would be a good idea

I remember reading a thread about a newbie who crashed his bike on upper harbour drive after after driving it back from buying it in Hamiltron or something...

lol that was slyer

just get a KBer down there to have a look (clivoris and ajturbo are cool guys with some mechanical knowledge and i know at least one of them lives down there) it shipped - if you had riding experience you could fly down in the morning and ride back up in the one day but i wouldn't recommend that for a learner

Slyer
14th October 2008, 12:06
You could do it in two days problem but don't drop your guard when you get confident like I did!

BANZAI
14th October 2008, 12:33
Hanne, seriously if you get your bike back, how much are you looking at for sale???

JBJB
14th October 2008, 12:45
lol that was slyer

Sorry about that slyer didn't realise I was talking to the very person!

I might send one of those two guys a message. Do you think the blue one looks a bit dodge?

motorbyclist
14th October 2008, 12:58
well we don't know what he wants for it, and don't know if the cause for a new paintjob was minor scratching or complete writeoff that's been poorly repaired

it may be fine, but the silver one looks less likely to go bad... look at both perhaps?

Slyer
14th October 2008, 13:07
Ask for more photos of the blue one

Zim_Invader
14th October 2008, 21:47
I'm wondering if it's worth the risk to just buy something like one of these from Wellington:

don't risk it. it's too much money wasted if it all falls to the shitz. just do a search and mass pm some guys with solid rep, that live in wellington - i did it! when i was hunting. i was well impressed too. for some reason the dudes that ride are a lot more friendly and willing to help a strangr out (esp a noobie).

I remember reading a thread about a newbie who crashed his bike on upper harbour drive after after driving it back from buying it in Hamiltron or something...

ahahaha! aha aha aha!!! i'm sorry but the coincidence there is just too damn funny. hahahah!!!! +1 for that bud, just becoz of how much it made ME laugh. it's sad, but lets face it - it's still funny!:jerry::laugh:

JBJB
16th October 2008, 20:27
Blue FXR in Wellington is outside the budget unfortunately. Looking at one in Auckland to see if they will negotiate down.

There's always this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-182462501.htm

I know you'll all laugh (except BANZAI) but I'm sort of serious. I'm sick of having get everywhere on four wheels, so I'm getting desperate... anything under $2k!

Slyer
16th October 2008, 21:09
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-181499086.htm
Go have a look. :)

I think the older ones are belt driven... will have to check that out.

motorbyclist
16th October 2008, 21:16
deregistered and no photo? better off with the GN!

Slyer
16th October 2008, 21:19
This is true.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-182307971.htm
Hmmm... I have spare forks and wheels etc...

motorbyclist
16th October 2008, 21:23
holy crap it's still got 8 months rego on it - he put 12 months on it in june this year, but the last wof expired in november 2006

rego without wof?

shingo
16th October 2008, 21:33
auction says the rego is on hold, not that he bought a rego till june 09.

motorbyclist
16th October 2008, 22:01
auction says the rego is on hold, not that he bought a rego till june 09.

not according to the plate history

shingo
16th October 2008, 22:07
not according to the plate history

The plate history states the rego license type as being an exemption, i.e they have put it on hold so it doesn't get de-registered.

A purchased rego license type is stated as being active, in other words someone paid money for it.

motorbyclist
16th October 2008, 22:19
whoops, missed that line

JBJB
18th October 2008, 11:19
Anyone keen/free to come and check this bike out with me later on this week?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=177045732

Slyer
18th October 2008, 20:47
Looks like a pretty good deal.
I'll help you out if you can't find someone better. ;)

ital916
18th October 2008, 20:48
Looks like a pretty good deal.
I'll help you out if you can't find someone better. ;)

help yourself before you help others..god knows you need it:laugh:, is the bike starting easier or still puttering out?

Slyer
18th October 2008, 20:56
Nah It's all good eh, can take a while to get it going good sometimes but once she's warm she's A-OK.

Squiggles
18th October 2008, 21:11
Anyone keen/free to come and check this bike out with me later on this week?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=177045732

Ill come, although straight off i'd say you could probably get a cheaper one, that one is still running stock (read: shit) tyres. We picked up Banzai's (similar condition) for $1000 (his was a bit of a bargain though)

BANZAI
18th October 2008, 21:17
Ill come, although straight off i'd say you could probably get a cheaper one, that one is still running stock (read: shit) tyres. We picked up Banzai's (similar condition) for $1000 (his was a bit of a bargain though)

It was a real bargain!!! :D

GN is very good bike but expect others to over take you all the time when you are on GN :p (except twinkle's white GN)

And yea mine's very bargain (covered in rust but everything works perfect!)

JBJB
18th October 2008, 21:33

Although looking round trademe there nothing cheaper with lowish km's. Everything else is up around the 2.5-3.5K mark. I'm fine with paying $2k if it's in decent nick. How much for a better set of rubber? What nights you free squiggles? Wednesday or Thursday?

Also excuse my complete ignorance but I'm assuming there is no way of getting corrosion out of chrome right? Not that I'd expect a GN to win 'best in show'

Slyer
18th October 2008, 21:35
The seller's a bit of a tard too, sif the GN is a cruiser.
"Standard bike" ;)

BANZAI
19th October 2008, 15:03
Although looking round trademe there nothing cheaper with lowish km's. Everything else is up around the 2.5-3.5K mark. I'm fine with paying $2k if it's in decent nick. How much for a better set of rubber? What nights you free squiggles? Wednesday or Thursday?

Also excuse my complete ignorance but I'm assuming there is no way of getting corrosion out of chrome right? Not that I'd expect a GN to win 'best in show'

You could talk the way out to get them lower the price perhaps? Don't know how it works but worth a try (take squig and motorbicyclist
with you with them wearing full bike gear, then they will perform 4hour full-inspection checking every single thing on that bike and then seller might think "I'll give that to you with whatever you think is right so just get that f--k out here!") :lol:

Tyres cost around $200, I paid about $180. So far it's doing great, I haven't came off the road yet :p :2thumbsup

The seller's a bit of a tard too, sif the GN is a cruiser.
"Standard bike" ;)

They should call it J-american bike :lol:

Blakomen
19th October 2008, 20:10
How much for a better set of rubber?

I've got rubbish stock tyres on my GN250 too and lookin to switch em, i wonder how many need to be changed before cycletreads will consider a discount :shifty:

Squiggles
19th October 2008, 20:23
What nights you free squiggles? Wednesday or Thursday?
Any other days? Wed and Thurs this week are horrible with it being the last week for assignments and tests! :buggerd:

JBJB
20th October 2008, 17:44
Any other days?

Sunday would be sweet for me. That GN has gone now but here are two more:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/photos/a-183233442/p-78622563.htm
This ones in Franklin unfortunately. I could pick people up - in my car :yawn: - if they were keen to come and check it out.

or

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-183430255.htm
Much closer to home, but four times as many kms on the clock...

BANZAI
20th October 2008, 17:57
Sunday would be sweet for me. That GN has gone now but here are two more:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/photos/a-183233442/p-78622563.htm
This ones in Franklin unfortunately. I could pick people up - in my car :yawn: - if they were keen to come and check it out.

or

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Tourers/auction-183430255.htm

One in Franklin is better in terms of Kms. Come with pack rack too Mmmm

But then the other one have Bridgestone so less hassle for you to change tyre (yet)

I heard that stator motor in DR family engine are common problem so I guess it's good that it's been done???

It's got high geared sprockets too (what I would like to get soon)

Hmmm in terms of blingedup-ness this one is better, I picked it up when its 24000kms and almost 30000 now and no problem at all (gasket and piston needed to change after 25000kms).

Can I ride it back? :p

Ragingrob
20th October 2008, 18:39
I live in Franklin... If you want me to check it out. (To the extent of my knowledge anyway lol).

klyong82
20th October 2008, 18:51
I live in Franklin... If you want me to check it out. (To the extent of my knowledge anyway lol).

Yeah go have a look at it and take it for a test ride and ride it to uni.....for us all to see...haha

PirateJafa
20th October 2008, 19:00
Yeah go have a look at it and take it for a test ride and ride it to uni.....for us all to see...haha

This is Rob you're talking about.

He rode from Takapuna to Karaka before realising his brakes had been on the whole way. :innocent:

klyong82
20th October 2008, 19:14

He rode from Takapuna to Karaka before realising his brakes had been on the whole way. :innocent:

Haha bet he was just bedding in the new brake pads.....smoke erm..

motorbyclist
20th October 2008, 19:34

looks good from here!

Ragingrob
20th October 2008, 20:00

Coro loop anyone? :cool:

Damn "bent" axle tricked me! And once I'm on the motorway to get home, my target is set!

looks good from here!

+1

That GN looks mint as, more k's just means it's more run in.

motorbyclist
20th October 2008, 20:22
Damn "bent" axle tricked me! And once I'm on the motorway to get home, my target is set!

lol who was it who rode some distance without their axle nut fitted?

Ragingrob
20th October 2008, 20:24
lol who was it who rode some distance without their axle nut fitted?

Damn un-nutted axle tricked me!!!

Love single swingarms, only gotta undo one thing now!

Squiggles
20th October 2008, 21:11
Quit while you're ahead rob... :lol:

JBJB
21st October 2008, 20:29
Have messaged Franklin seller and they won't come down to $2.2k, so not worth the effort.

There's another bike that someone text me about in the city. They saw my number on Trademe and text me before they put their bike on TM.

GN 250 (again)
12000km
Red
"Good condition"
Needs spotlight "fixed." Had quote from Coleman's to have it done for $40.
Once it's fixed the warrant needs to be re-sat at Coleman's (he's already paid for the first sit).
He said if he would consider 2.2 if I'm willing to get it fixed and do the warrant (hoping I could do both on Saturday morning if it really is in good nick and then hand over the cash).

He said I could check it out on Sat morning. Don't know his address yet but I need to text him on Friday night to set up a time and get address. Anyone keen? I can text you on Friday night with details if you PM me your cell number.

Just handed in my dissertation today so I'm stoked!! :2thumbsup:

Squiggles
21st October 2008, 20:52
Ill come have a look Sat morning... 0212685528

JBJB
21st October 2008, 21:01
Ill come have a look Sat morning... 0212685528

Bonza beaut! The bike is in Sandringham. I'll text you on the day before with the time (hopefully around 10:30). Do you want me to pick you up?

Squiggles
21st October 2008, 21:04
Whatever works for you, im close by but you'll be coming past seeing as you're coming from the shore :Punk:

Squiggles
25th October 2008, 12:11
Alright but i think there are better to be had for the price, had a few things that would need atention and a couple to be weary of

JBJB
25th October 2008, 14:28
Mate, you're a legend. Thanks for coming to check on that bike today.

BANZAI
25th October 2008, 14:46
Mate, you're a legend. Thanks for coming to check on that bike today.

Oh you guys already did! O_o

Meeehhh I wanted to come LOL

So decided which one???

JBJB
29th October 2008, 20:25
Meeehhh I wanted to come LOL

So decided which one???

Sorry about that mate. Haven't got nuttin' yet.

Here's one:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-184655905.htm
The price is right, although it could be a few hundy to get it sent up from Nelson.

This would be sweet if the price stays low:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-184563108.htm

Anyone know anything about the EN125? It looks like a cross between a GN and a scorpio:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-185043468.htm

JBJB
29th October 2008, 20:42
This looks interesting:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-184221232.htm

Wassup with the engine?
Loncin Enginges - quotes from their website:

"Powerful pumping makes your life immaculacy"
"Life goes on even when power goes off"
"Creating the world famous-brand products"

I love engrish!

Don't think I'd trust these guys to make a quality engine...

JBJB
29th October 2008, 20:51
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-185047204.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-184505807.htm

Squiggles
29th October 2008, 21:13
Ross' FXR might come up for sale shortly, its closer and definately loved, he'll probably post here soonish, else pm him (he goes by the alias Phurrball)

BANZAI
29th October 2008, 22:29
Sorry about that mate. Haven't got nuttin' yet.

Here's one:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-184655905.htm
The price is right, although it could be a few hundy to get it sent up from Nelson.

This would be sweet if the price stays low:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-184563108.htm

Anyone know anything about the EN125? It looks like a cross between a GN and a scorpio:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-185043468.htm

SR would be hard to find parts I think.

Btw FXR is very slow on straight, ask EJ. He knows about it :lol:

EN is chinese made sportier version of GN125. It suppose to be not so bad budget bike but I remember that one of the member here had problem with clutch cables.

Good luck finding one for you! Next time let me know, I wanna come and have a look too :)

shingo
29th October 2008, 22:54
It suppose to be not so bad budget bike but I remember that one of the member here had problem with clutch cables.

Wasn't that a GX125? The issues he had were more a reflection of the owner, not the bike.

BANZAI
29th October 2008, 23:11
Wasn't that a GX125? The issues he had were more a reflection of the owner, not the bike.

Ah yes but technically it's exactly same but different name.

LOL true, strange that he belived that clutch only can goin half way on that particular bike. But meh you guys bashed him hardcore, he won't come back to SMC!!!

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 01:12
but make sure they get viewed first, even if by a random KBer

loncin engines are chinese... cheap replicas of honda engines but now it looks like they might be changing the designs somewhat. i'll be steering clear until i see one that works as well as a real honda

the FXR is a very good first bike

with all due respect, EJ isn't a pro h4x rider, so take "aw not fast enough" with a grain of salt. thrash a clutch right and any "slow" bike ridden properly will match or beat a "fast" bike being ridden by a novice

an fxr kept me happy all summer while i fixed my NC30

ie, who needs to get over 120kph anyway? it'll outcorner everything else the SMC has if you ride her right

if you're talking about straight line speed or just acceleration any bike under 600cc could be considered slow:rolleyes:

JBJB
30th October 2008, 08:46
Btw FXR is very slow on straight, ask EJ. He knows about it :lol:

Not wanting to knock the GN too hard (cause I may end up with one), but I'd rather have an FXR cause it actually looks half decent. According to specs (which I know are almost always wrong) FXR has to lug 5.86kg/hp, whereas on a GN each horsey is pulling 6.26kg. Surely better handling and braking would put the FXR above the GN?

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 09:50
Surely better handling and braking would put the FXR above the GN?

sure does!

although, the gn seat is better

and the torque output is really what people should be interested in ;)

JBJB
30th October 2008, 12:40
Just got this message regarding this bike:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-183267219.htm

"You are welcome to come and look at the bike, in the evening or at the weekend. We are in Henderson, I am using the bike to commute to the City so if you preferred we could work out a time during the day."

Anyone free to check out the bike either tomorrow during the day or early next week? Either that or this weekend?

JBJB
30th October 2008, 13:15
RE: the bike above

Anyone free before 8.30am, at 5pm or between 1-2pm tomorrow? 110 Symonds Street, opposite the Langham Hotel.

Otherwise I can work out a time on Saturday.

Squiggles
30th October 2008, 13:33
Wholly crap thats an expensive FXR :eek:

Phurrball
30th October 2008, 13:41
That FXR LOOKS very tidy JBJB - it even has proper tyres on it in the photos, which is important as the stock ones are made of wood or summat horrible.

IMHO an FXR wipes the floor with a GN, even with my substantial 95KG weight on it :niceone:

They are so easy to ride, handle and stop far better than they ought to and are insanely cheap to run. Waaay better than the sum of the 'buget' parts they are made from.

I'll PM you about ours, but it probably won't be available for a while [maybe Feb next year?] as Mrs Phurrball wants to sit her full licence on it which means it needs new tyres and a battery.

JBJB
30th October 2008, 13:46
Wholly crap thats an expensive FXR :eek:

:)

Not many others out there for much less... she said she would come down to $2.5K (The missus gave a bit more room to move on the budget)

There are a few up on TM which I posted already but I'd rather pay a bit more for something in Auckland to save $$ on moving it and to be more confident it has been checked out.

JBJB
30th October 2008, 16:48
So anyone free on Saturday morning to check this FXR out (in Henderson)?

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 21:05
yep i'm free for saturday

even live in henderson too!

ALSO, i plan to be at uni tomorrow, so whenever suits

PM me

and yes that's a pretty pricey FXR - but might be tidy enough to justify it

Slyer
30th October 2008, 21:29
even live in henderson too!
You mean they have a name for that place other than "Out west"?! :shit:

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 22:17
it's like 'central out west' - and i'm a bit more west from there :D

just a thought, seeing as we're looking in the 2.5k bracket for an fxr, are there any good 250s around the same price that will hold value? one slight drop and that fixxer loses over $500 market value

motorbyclist
30th October 2008, 23:14
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-184497502.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Cruiser/auction-184558686.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-184150510.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-185266509.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-184482146.htm

managed to find new imported inline four 250s for 2k buynow if you want to go to tauranga!

if i had $2k i would seriously consider going down there, bringing that fzr back up here, and flogging it off at the start of the summer weather for 3k

might add, that west auckland zxr with black fairings is possibly painted black (rather than green) to mask the fact the lower right hand piece seems to be broken where it meets the other (left hand) lower panel down behind the front wheel

JBJB
31st October 2008, 07:19
I'm guessing the low kms on the FXR have got to be working in its favour... ?

From FZR auction: "Engine goes but possible worn big end." I'm pretty sure I know what this means. Excuse my ignorance but how big a deal is it to replace the bearing?

Slyer
31st October 2008, 09:14
Those are some sweet deals in the link andrew just posted!
The zzr looks like a mint deal, see how much it goes for.
The zxr is right in auckland too.
Yamaha... yeah could do... :)

motorbyclist
31st October 2008, 11:48
I'm guessing the low kms on the FXR have got to be working in its favour... ?

From FZR auction: "Engine goes but possible worn big end." I'm pretty sure I know what this means. Excuse my ignorance but how big a deal is it to replace the bearing?

Yamaha... yeah could do... :)

ok i was skim reading and must've missed that line

avoid that fzr like the plague

last club member to have one of those, the crank snapped after 3 days

JBJB
31st October 2008, 14:50
might add, that west auckland zxr with black fairings is possibly painted black (rather than green) to mask the fact the lower right hand piece seems to be broken where it meets the other (left hand) lower panel down behind the front wheel

True dat. Looks a bit busted down the bottom there. How did he lose the bottom of the fairing I wonder? I just messaged him anyway to check if he'll go as low as 2.5k and if so is he free tomorrow morning (kill two bikes with one stone...)

motorbyclist
2nd November 2008, 01:23
so, apart from a few nicks here and there is was a pretty mint fixxer
mechanically sound, but could do with an oil topup.

and is missing the cowling (bottom fairing)

so even though it's a bit pricey, all she needs is fresh oil and she'll be good until he's done with it.

does mean stoppies too:D

Squiggles
2nd November 2008, 09:33
Get Moar power for less $$! I mean shit, i think we're putting the zzr on for that price :shit:

Ragingrob
2nd November 2008, 09:37
Get Moar power for less $$! I mean shit, i think we're putting the zzr on for that price :shit:

I concur. :Punk:

motorbyclist
2nd November 2008, 10:22
probably too late. i did mention it to him, but clearly he wants it.

while it is a bit high, it isn't that high for auckland and that condition. ie he wont be spending more money on it any time soon

save up some pennies over the next six months, learn how to ride, and then sell for what he bought it for and get a bigger one with his summer earnings. sorted.

and your zzr should be up for 3k, and i wouldn't buy it if i was the average munter who didn't know any better

Slyer
2nd November 2008, 10:28
The ZZR went for $2k!! It was a sweet deal for that guy.
Edit: Oh, it was withdrawn

motorbyclist
2nd November 2008, 10:37
yeah the zzr previously went for 2500, but the buyer apparently pulled out

for a bike in kaitaia, where no-one can get to it, that's not bad. good indicator for any auckland zzr sellers.

JBJB
2nd November 2008, 12:32

Tis done now. I'm happy with it. It was a litlle more than I would've liked to have paid but I've already been bike-less for four months and couldn't be stuffed waiting for some bargin to appear on TradeMe. It ended up being cheaper than a lot of other FXRs on TM and in way better nick. Could've got more power but... that can come later.

Went for a spin (not literally) yesterday and I'm happy :)

BANZAI
2nd November 2008, 12:36
Tis done now. I'm happy with it. It was a litlle more than I would've liked to have paid but I've already been bike-less for four months and couldn't be stuffed waiting for some bargin to appear on TradeMe. It ended up being cheaper than a lot of other FXRs on TM and in way better nick. Could've got more power but... that can come later.

Went for a spin (not literally) yesterday and I'm happy :)

Congrats!!! So how much did it come to at the end?

Come join us at the chiller or rides!!!

JBJB
2nd November 2008, 14:09
So how much did it come to at the end?

It was 2.5K. She wanted 2.75 but 2.5 was the max I could spend...

Yeah, now I can head alone to chillers as I have a bike and can legitimately join SMC.

BANZAI
2nd November 2008, 14:17
It was 2.5K. She wanted 2.75 but 2.5 was the max I could spend...

Yeah, now I can head alone to chillers as I have a bike and can legitimately join SMC.

Photos please! :D (or it didn't happen) :p

WeeHaggis
2nd November 2008, 16:18
Hey guys, i've been readin this and its been ampin me up to get my licence, done my learners years ago but never followed through, now after a good few years in a 4 wheel coffin, i need to get my arse in gear, don't know how licensing works in this country, but i can find out. Was just wondering on what these bikes are like, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=183477850 , if anyone has had one or knows if anything to look for? Cheers

Slyer
2nd November 2008, 16:21
That looks like a pretty sweet deal.

Hanne
2nd November 2008, 19:06
Congrats on getting a bike JBJB

Re the Zeal: 'Lemining' on this site has a zeal, think he has been pretty pleased with it.
Not too many k's on that one either.

motorbyclist
2nd November 2008, 22:35
that zeal will sell fast - get in there!

JBJB
3rd November 2008, 07:34
Just so you know, the push chair isn't mine...

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 07:45
Looks sweet man!

BANZAI
3rd November 2008, 08:17

Woohoo!!! :first:

Another FXR to overtake in straight :bleh:

klyong82
3rd November 2008, 08:27

Give you $5 for the pram and $50 for the FXR...

HungusMaximist
3rd November 2008, 08:31
Now you can EJ can be FXR buddies but you gotta keep with him in the corners!

JBJB
3rd November 2008, 11:42
Another FXR to overtake in straight :bleh:

Haha! Yeah will be a bit of that while I'm getting the hang of things. After that I'll leave your bathtub behind on anything other than a quarter-mile :bye: :bleh: back at ya

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 11:47
FXR vs GN acceleration war?
Ooooh. :)
Has this been done before?

BANZAI
3rd November 2008, 14:47
Haha! Yeah will be a bit of that while I'm getting the hang of things. After that I'll leave your bathtub behind on anything other than a quarter-mile :bye: :bleh: back at ya

FXR vs GN acceleration war?
Ooooh. :)
Has this been done before?

Oooohhhh :)

Would be interesting. Any drag strips near by??

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 14:50
We'll be needing at least 2 kilometres I think. ;)

BANZAI
3rd November 2008, 14:57
We'll be needing at least 2 kilometres I think. ;)

Heh then my GN should pull out 150km/h with my custom aerodynamic device :p

I hear FXR top speed is 130-140, think it was in wikipedia, would be interesting to investigate that.

Hanne
3rd November 2008, 15:27
Heh then my GN should pull out 150km/h with my custom aerodynamic device :p

Dear oh dear, is THAT what you are calling it now?
Looks like the front end of a submarine! :clap:

motorbyclist
3rd November 2008, 15:32
wikipedia?!

*edits article*

i hear the GN top speed is 20kph :bleh:

experience tells me an fxr can hit 148 downhill with tail wind and rider hugging the tank - but the speedos are usually out, so may be as low as 130kph. felt closer to 140..... :innocent:

motorbyclist
3rd November 2008, 15:41
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GN_Series

:clap::D

:corn:

BANZAI
3rd November 2008, 16:04
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GN_Series

:clap::D

:corn:

LOL hmm I think it's gonna be there for ages :p

Btw refer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_FXR150

For you all FXR150 enthusiasts!
http://www.fxr150.co.nz/

Slyer
3rd November 2008, 17:05
yello

google 'motorbyclist' to find various traces of my impact on the web....

as far as i am aware i was the first to coin the term "motorbyclist" and "motorbycle", which has made motorbyclist a suitable alais on the net so far, but i tend not to use it in real-life stuations (such as an email address) due to the risk of misspelling, which would be inconvienient.

to date, there has since my beginning of use, been two instances to my knowledge of "motorbyclist" being used by two individuals on the internet who i do not know i know. both occurances were in 2006, both on UK forums. since my use has been since 2002, i still claim to have first coined the term.hmmm </tenchar>

motorbyclist
3rd November 2008, 17:36
that wiki on the fxr is wrong

it's 147cc not 150cc

and as soon as they have basic manufacturer/manual/stamped on engine numbers like that wrong what else can you trust?

Dolph
4th November 2008, 23:04
Congrats on the bike JBJB,...looks smart mate :rockon: I've been reading this thread and checking all the listings you've found. I'm not quite at the 'buy' stage (i.e. I have zero dollars :slap:), but I'm avidly researching and it's all been good info. Cheers

JBJB
7th November 2008, 21:38
Congrats on the bike JBJB,... it's all been good info.

Gidday mate, and cheers. Have taken the bike out a few times and only had one almost crash so far. Man those 70 km rules suck. The motorways are dangerous at 70/80km.

These guys are really onto it and really helpful!!

No more exams for me ever whoop whoop!! :first:

Sorry I couldn't make the chiller. Should be able to make it next week.

Slyer
7th November 2008, 21:59
Ignore the 70km/h rule, please.
Just don't go over 100

Dolph
7th November 2008, 23:06
Yes,....I'd hear a wee while back that the 70km/h rule had been abolished !?!?!? Not the case ? :eek:

Slyer
8th November 2008, 08:43
Not abolished but they are thinking about it.
Most cops know how dangerous it is to go 70km/h so they don't mind if you go over that.
As long as you follow all of your other license conditions you shouldn't get pinged for it.

If he catches you going 110 however... that's 40 over the limit.

motorbyclist
8th November 2008, 11:34
or just keep off the motorway - which is the whole point of that rule anyway

and slyer can tell you why learners plus motorway equals bad

Slyer
8th November 2008, 11:49
Learner rider I agree but not learner license.
Stay off the motorway till you are confident. :)
(And learn how to brake)

EJK
8th November 2008, 12:00

Very nice bike!

See you on the road :niceone:

P.S. My extra weight (pie eating weight) reduces the original top speed... damn

BANZAI
8th November 2008, 14:38
Very nice bike!

See you on the road :niceone:

P.S. My extra weight (pie eating weight) reduces the original top speed... damn

But you use that weight to do bunrout right? :bleh:

I can tell you L plate + motorway is bad.

Was doing lane splitting, followed by biker cop, when traffic got clear did 100 at 80 area and got ticket for $550 :pinch:

Slyer
8th November 2008, 14:51
Only because you looked really dodgy

PirateJafa
8th November 2008, 14:51
I can tell you L plate + motorway is bad.

Was doing lane splitting, followed by biker cop, when traffic got clear did 100 at 80 area and got ticket for $550 :pinch:

That wouldn't have been just the Loser plate Yui - the fact you were speeding, lane splitting and doing it all on a GN would probably have got you pulled over. The L plate would have just sealed the deal. :sunny:

Slyer
8th November 2008, 14:57
And you did all this KNOWING there was a cop behind you watching all your moves.
*sigh*

BANZAI
8th November 2008, 14:59
And you did all this KNOWING there was a cop behind you watching all your moves.
*sigh*

I saw car cops checking traffics but wasnt expecting biker cop to follow me!!!

GSXR Trace
8th November 2008, 21:09
I saw car cops checking traffics but wasnt expecting biker cop to follow me!!!

any bike that comes up from behind me (or when im approaching a bike in front of me at night) on the motorway i slow up a little and wait til can tell whether hes a cop or not - good indication is those white helmets
but thats just me being paranoid cause can't afford to pay tickets - i need that money to live and pay for fuel! but particularly because suspect they would love to pull over a GSXR every opportunity they get

klyong82
9th November 2008, 07:30
any bike that comes up from behind me (or when im approaching a bike in front of me at night) on the motorway i slow up a little and wait til can tell whether hes a cop or not - good indication is those white helmets
but thats just me being paranoid cause can't afford to pay tickets - i need that money to live and pay for fuel! but particularly because suspect they would love to pull over a GSXR every opportunity they get

You guys have rear vision from your mirrors? :blink:

BANZAI
9th November 2008, 07:41

At the time I didn't have working rear view mirror, what I only saw was my elbows....

Now I have better mirrors I do always check, especially if I can see bright one headlight coming towards me :p

GSXR Trace
9th November 2008, 08:20
You guys have rear vision from your mirrors? :blink:

sure do, especially when your a short arse riding it so that your arms go straight downt the bike, only small elbow tucks are required! :laugh:

Gubb
9th November 2008, 08:24
If he catches you going 110 however... that's 40 over the limit.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. You'll get fined for 10km/h over the limit, and breaching your license conditions instead.

Slyer
9th November 2008, 09:33
Well that's good to know.

BANZAI
9th November 2008, 09:43
I'm pretty sure that's wrong. You'll get fined for 10km/h over the limit, and breaching your license conditions instead.

Yea my case was that.

Anyway somehow hardly anyone posting today. Everyone studying for final exam or riding perhaps??

Blakomen
9th November 2008, 22:01
no more exammms for meeeeeeee :D:D

and im on my learners and i ride on the motorway pretty much most of my riding, just from town to sylvia park where i work...then again i dont put my l plates on cause they just keep falling off...and im not a particularly good turner :P

BANZAI
9th November 2008, 22:49
no more exammms for meeeeeeee :D:D

Lucky bastard! Come to my performance exam tomorrow at 11am :yes:

And then I'll be over too :bleh:

Blakomen
10th November 2008, 08:25

aaaaaaaa goooood luckkkk!!!! :2thumbsup: i would come but i have work! story of my life!

JBJB
10th November 2008, 14:55

How was it? I was done on Friday (just the one exam though) :2thumbsup