PDA

View Full Version : This is why you should ALWAYS wear a fullface Helmet!

Ryan432
10th August 2008, 22:43
Well just recently i was tootling home from uni on my trusty SV and I had a wee spill, still couln't tell you how it happened as i was on a straight peice of road almost! I was competley fine everywhere except my left hand somehow got caught under the handlebar which pretty much fuked up my ring and little finger completely!! I have been in hospital since monday avo and have had two surgeries on the fingers so far (cheers to kyle and ehab for coming in to see me) and at this point my left hand is surgically attatched to my chest for about two weeks untill some new flesh grows to cover my fingers!! After that is all healed up i go back in to get unattached and have the wires removed from my fingers, after which the bone grafts and the tendon reconstruction surgeries can start!

The doctors will just fuse the last joint on my pinky and i will have stiff fingers for the rest of my life but other than that I should make a full recovery! yay! lol

I think the thing to take away from this accident is that even when you are just cruising, CONSTANT VIGILANCE!!!

The bike is kinda okish the radiator is cracked and the tank is a bit scratched, and i'll need a new clutch lever and handlebars etc etc but i guess it could have been worse tho so i'm pretty thankful for myself and the bike.

as for the title of this thread please see the fotos of my trusty shark helmet below:
SOME OF THESE FOTOS ARE A BIT GRAPHIC!:

Choco
10th August 2008, 22:54
Ouch man, good luck with the surgeries and heal up quick!:doctor:
Always got my Full face on, never leave home without it!

Jantar
10th August 2008, 22:57
Ouch, that looks nasty.

What gloves were you wearing?

Number One
10th August 2008, 23:01
Ouch! Good luck with everything :sunny:

Ragingrob
10th August 2008, 23:05
Bugger man I'd heard that you weren't doing so well! That really sucks! Yeah I too would be keen to know what kinda gloves you were wearing, also what speed were you going?

Damn freak accidents huh, I hope that you heal asap!

Nagash
10th August 2008, 23:14
That road doesn't look particularly grippy..

That's a pretty nasty accident mate, i'm sure your finger isn't meant to bend in that many places..

Hope you heal up well, and you're lucky you were wearing that full face, other wise a whole lot more damage could be inflicted.

And i'm quite familiar with those little cleaning kits that you can see by your hand, fucking stings like a bitch..

TOTO
10th August 2008, 23:23
are you right or left handed ?

Nagash
10th August 2008, 23:27
are you right or left handed ?

I don't think he has much of a choice at this point in time :Pokey:

Ryan432
10th August 2008, 23:49
luckily i'm right handed but it still sucks t be one handed for a wile! I was wearing dririder gloves wich did really well except for where the bike and the road ripped them apart! probably doin about 90 to 100 k, its just by my house so i come thru there all the time in all conditions so its hrd to work out wat happened

fireball
11th August 2008, 00:07
shit mate hope you heal up fast eh and watch for stray chest hairs in your new fingers!

but yeah look at that road..... was it wet when you went down? it looks very slippery

Ryan432
11th August 2008, 00:24
yea its slippery as fuk and was wet but as i said i live there and ive been through there a hundred times before in the same conditions... so its weird, also i went down a fair way after the corner!?!

oldrider
11th August 2008, 00:41
Bloody hell, that's rude, hope it all heals up nicely for you.

I blew up the pic of that road, is it as oily or greasy as it looks in the pic?

Or is it just the camera peculiarity that makes it look like that?

One thing about riding gravel is not having to put up with that sort of shit!

It honestly looks as greasy as a butchers prick! :eek5:

Again, here's all the best for happy healing. :yes: Cheers John.

BadCompany
11th August 2008, 03:08
Is that bone you can see in the nuckle on the third shot?

Bikernereid
11th August 2008, 04:04
Good luck with your recovery!!

Dino
11th August 2008, 07:32
Looks nasty & painful, All the best for a speedy recovery.

Zuki Bandit
11th August 2008, 07:36
OUCH dude, hope you have a speedy recovery!

HungusMaximist
11th August 2008, 10:27
Full helmet all the way bro, no fucken way I am gonna be wearing a half face any time soon.

Tempted on to do it on a scooter though.... nah, don't too it aye.

bomma
11th August 2008, 12:20
youch!! on the bright side that'll make for an awesome story time if you ever have kids/grand kids :niceone:

BANZAI
11th August 2008, 12:38
Ouch...

Now it's hard for you to play Guitar or Violin!!!

I can't let that happen to me eh, fingers are most important parts with what I do to make a living...

Altho if it's one or two finger and not thumb, can work it out to play instrument like Django Reinhart did (he only had 3 finger I think and was the famous jazz guitarist back in the day)

Anyway heal well!!

teamsuperoxide
11th August 2008, 12:41
Full helmet all the way bro, no fucken way I am gonna be wearing a half face any time soon.

Tempted on to do it on a scooter though.... nah, don't too it aye.

My older brother is a surgeon and has seen a few poor souls missing the lower half of their face because they had been wearing a half-face helmet.

Good luck with the healing.

Ryan432
11th August 2008, 13:16
Is that bone you can see in the nuckle on the third shot?

yea thats the bone... it actually looks a bit better in those fotos because it had been cleaned out and shit, there is actually more bone exposed on the pinky but you can't see it in these shots because they've pulled the skin around to cover it up a bit! yea i'll never be tommy emanuel on the guitar now but i know a dude who plays pretty good and hes missing part of a finger.
cheers for all the well wishes! :rockon:

Magua
11th August 2008, 16:19
That's nasty, man. Best of luck for your recovery.

BIHB@0610
11th August 2008, 17:07
Big hugs - looks awfully sore, poor you :hug:

Heal well! Hope you've got some good books. You'll be able to catch up on all that fabulous daytime TV - fyi Jeremy Kyle's a laugh and a half - 12.30 weekdays :lol:

avgas
11th August 2008, 17:21
I'm so proud of you.
Welcome to the club:doctor:
So you getting looked after by the student nurses?

Oh an heal up quick too

AllanB
11th August 2008, 17:47
Glad you are OK - relatively.

So if you bang your face up wearing a open helmet then what to they attach that to for a few weeks to grow the skin????

"Hey dude you nose looks just like a .........."

or

"Man he used to talk shit before the accident but now...."

bomma
11th August 2008, 22:54
Ouch...

Now it's hard for you to play Guitar or Violin!!!

I can't let that happen to me eh, fingers are most important parts with what I do to make a living...

Altho if it's one or two finger and not thumb, can work it out to play instrument like Django Reinhart did (he only had 3 finger I think and was the famous jazz guitarist back in the day)

Anyway heal well!!

def leppard's drummer only had one arm and still played better than most others since his time :Punk: maybe you should focus on losing the arm and then you could be a drummer mate :niceone:

motorbyclist
11th August 2008, 23:31
dude that sucks! any idea how/why it happened?

bugger about the hand mate but for those talking, gloves simply aren't built to take that..

hope it all heals well without complication.

moral of the story: get clear of your bike:(

edit: looking at that road it looks like similar conditions for my recent 'random' bin.... wet tar bleed

gijoe1313
12th August 2008, 20:26
:gob: :sick: Crikey mate, that ain't too good ... glad to hear that you were wearing gears ... that bone dome sure did its job!

Best of luck in your recovery and try not to make yourself too much of a nuisance to the nurses okay?

Toaster
12th August 2008, 20:33
Ouch.... but good to hear the outlook for recovery is good. All the best!

Ryan432
13th August 2008, 18:26
dude that sucks! any idea how/why it happened?

edit: looking at that road it looks like similar conditions for my recent 'random' bin.... wet tar bleed

yea its a pretty shithouse peice of road, can't trust that stuff! almost would have been better if i was thrashing it and went down, at least then I would no exactly why!

Gutted to hear about your VFR bro that sucks! Someone needs to do something about those motherf**kers!!

ital916
18th August 2008, 16:13
edit: found the answer to the q

motorbyclist
18th August 2008, 17:14
edit: found the answer to the q

as i've said before, gloves aren't made to take being pinned under a bike and dragged that far

moral of the story: when she's going down you get the hell clear

Ryan432
18th August 2008, 21:40
as i've said before, gloves aren't made to take being pinned under a bike and dragged that far

yea they definitly arnt! i just realised i was wearing my neo gloves not the dririder ones but it really makes no difference once you go past a certain point nothing can stop the mutilation!

Im going back to middlemore on the 22nd so they can decide when to cut me free from this damn chestflap! then the tendon surgeries will begin, but at least once my hand is free i'll be able to be back at uni!

on a more bike related note, does anyone know of any good radiator repair places? I know it can be done and i don't really wanna fork out a grand for a new one since i was only just not insured at the time! dangit!! :angry:

motorbyclist
18th August 2008, 21:51
kumeu radiators have done a good job on allmydirtbikesandeventhevifferononeoccasion

omgmyspacebarhasbroken

fuck

Ryan432
18th August 2008, 22:07
cheers for the tip, i'll have to give them a ringin the morning. luckily the only other 'major' damage is to my poor yoshi but i need to whip it off before i can tell what i can do about it

Rollestonchick
18th August 2008, 22:16
Omg :hug: wishing you a speedy recovery.