PDA

View Full Version : Uni bike thefts

skidMark
12th August 2008, 23:41
Havn't you guys heard of disc locks? they are $25-$40

AKA... they roll / ride them away... they come in sedans, more sepcifically a Black BMW and a grey nissan primera.

Bit hard to ride / push a bike with a disc lock now innit!, you are giving them easy pickings, if they have to start carrying them it is higher risk and more time also.

To date they have not taken a single bike that had a disc lock, because they have sedans...otherwise they have to bring a van or a ute/ truck...

Go out... buy disc locks...problem prettymuch solved...

Or just keep getting your bikes stolen....

Hmmm $25-$40 on disc lock

or $500-$1500 Insurance excess and not having your exact bike anymore. i know you are all poor uni students but i'm sure you can spare the cost of a tank of gas to keep your bikes.

That is all.

As you werre.

SM

Ragingrob
13th August 2008, 13:48
I got my disc lock for $15 and put it on even though I'm parking in that underground "secure" carpark, and I got laughed at for putting it on :2thumbsup

If they can't roll the bike, nor get a van inside the building without having an employee's key card, then they ain't getting the bike! Unless they drag it out or pick it up and carry it, which I'm sure would attract a fair bit of attention.

:niceone:

Dargor
13th August 2008, 14:24
Disk locks suck, you have to keep putting them on. Alarms are way better, unless your parking somewhere realy dodgy. But then you can add as many locks as you like.

I remember when i was parking in the auckland CBD overnight, i had about 5 locks plus the alarm ;)

EJK
13th August 2008, 14:38
I don't mind using my big big blue "Fuck off" chains and tieing it up to a pole.

enigma51
13th August 2008, 14:44
You selling disk locks skidmark?

Real_Wolf
13th August 2008, 16:37
I do believe that andrews bike HAD a disklock on it. A disklock isn't that hard to get rid of, it can be removed if you know what your doing

Ragingrob
13th August 2008, 16:56
He didn't have a disclock on at the time. Just the steering lock.

Squiggles
13th August 2008, 17:21
i'd be more inclined to push for measures to round up theifs than to just deal with them by buying a disk lock.

That said i do lock my tl when im leaving it out

skidMark
13th August 2008, 22:10
i'd be more inclined to push for measures to round up theifs than to just deal with them by buying a disk lock.

That said i do lock my tl when im leaving it out

Well yeah its a case of slowing them down, if they want it they will have it, but it takes a hell of alot more effort, the uni bikes are relatively unsecured and are left for hours at a time, its essentially candy from a baby, its just my thought on it...

maybe uni smc should get discount cards from a certain shop or something 10% off a disc lock if you are a smc member? i dunno ask mt eden mc's im sure theyd love to get you all through the door...

HungusMaximist
13th August 2008, 22:39
Disc locks, alarms, chains, are all deterrents, it's not going to stop a committed thief from taxing away your bike. Having something is better than nothing.

Catching the cunts and making them pay however is another story. Is Steven going to lay out some proposal or at least a highlight an action plan to tackle these cocks.

bomma
13th August 2008, 22:43
To date they have not taken a single bike that had a disc lock, because they have sedans...otherwise they have to bring a van or a ute/ truck...
SM

actually some years back my mate's cbr2fiddy got taken from alfred st and did have a disk lock on.....but i guess that doesnt happen anymore on account that we can't park on alfred anymore.....pedestrian mall my sweet black ass :Pokey:

xwhatsit
13th August 2008, 22:45
What happens if you don't have a disc to lock? :P

bikerboy011
13th August 2008, 22:46
I better start using mine then! i park in a secure staff car park though...

bikerboy011
13th August 2008, 22:47
[quote=xerxesdaphat;1687801]What happens if you don't have a disc to lock? :P[/quot

!:lol:

bomma
13th August 2008, 22:48

lol where do you think andrew was parked:blink:

bikerboy011
13th August 2008, 22:52
lol where do you think andrew was parked:blink:

oh true i thought was on symond st

Ragingrob
13th August 2008, 22:58
Na he was parked in the underground staff car park next to the stairs where there's a triangle gap next to a car park near the footpath. Haha good description huh?

bigfoot
13th August 2008, 23:24
If i could get my hands on the cunts. Take em for a drag. Except I mean with ropes and cement !

Real_Wolf
14th August 2008, 00:10
If, for some weird reason, you don't have a disk to lock, get a bloody chain and just drape it through your wheel so that it can't be rolled, will have a very similar effect, just will look really budget

motorbyclist
14th August 2008, 00:55

nice troll attempt;)

but i do agree with you. i took the risk by assuming that no-one would neck a fucked bike when a good one is just metres away, and now i'm paying for it.

that said, i'm really just lazy.

cop: any valuables in the vehicle?
me: uhhh, the cable i was meant to have tied it down with:slap:

Disc locks, alarms, chains, are all deterrents, it's not going to stop a committed thief from taxing away your bike. Having something is better than nothing.

where there's a will there's a way. all they need is a trolley and a van, maybe some bolt cutters. would take less than a minute to get my bike from the carpark, even if it was locked properly. wheels aren't too hard to remove nor find on trademe.

if i was a theif i really would'nt give a shit about damage to the bike. free bike needing new discs is a good deal, and if it's going to be parted who gives a shit? then if i still don't get the bike free well it's not my problem is it?

Catching the cunts and making them pay however is another story. Is Steven going to lay out some proposal or at least a highlight an action plan to tackle these cocks.

i'm formulating a plan.... but won't be able to pull it off very soon...

in my experience those carparks aren't safe. turns out there isn't any security cameras, and any carpark with a free walkway isn't really bike secure.

my mate even had his dirtbike stolen from our van - parked in a hospital carpark building

motorbyclist
14th August 2008, 01:10
do me a favour here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1685577#post1685577)

Dargor
14th August 2008, 01:16
If, for some weird reason, you don't have a disk to lock, get a bloody chain and just drape it through your wheel so that it can't be rolled, will have a very similar effect, just will look really budget

Heres a better variant.

Chain your helmet through the wheel, somewhere good to keep your helmet, and if someone try's to move the bike its stops, similarly to using a disk lock. Really this is just a disk lock with a visor.

shingo
14th August 2008, 02:09
Heres a better variant.

Chain your helmet through the wheel, somewhere good to keep your helmet, and if someone try's to move the bike its stops, similarly to using a disk lock. Really this is just a disk lock with a visor.

Thats precisely what i do, figure its an easy way to secure my bike and helmet. Plus if my helmet has been moved in any way i know that someone has been fiddling with my bike.

skidMark
14th August 2008, 04:37
What happens if you don't have a disc to lock? :P

Cmon dude its a cb250, you may as well leave the keys in it.

Bikernereid
14th August 2008, 05:13
How about the system that texts your mobile if there is sufficient movement of the bike.

Although it can get a bit annoying when your mates having a fag outside the pub keep nudging bike and the bloody mobile doesn't stop.

rie
14th August 2008, 11:08
How about the system that texts your mobile if there is sufficient movement of the bike.

what is such a system typically called? sounds expensive, but probably worth it.

after someone told me that disc locks can be popped out within seconds i started wrapping my chain around the steering and through the front wheel. that way they (a) can't roll it away; or (b) remove the wheel.

+ disc lock with alarm stickers on the back wheel.

but you are right - thieves will find any means to nick your stuff no matter how many locks you have on it.

Timati
14th August 2008, 11:35
Maybe SMC should strike up a deal with a distributor of locks, alarms, etc so that we can get them at a discounted rate. Possibly look at getting Uni to install cameras seeing the rise in motorbike theft.

jim.cox
14th August 2008, 12:37
I'd like to stick something like this...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=170955369

under the seat of my bike

Then we would know where to go "visiting"

Maybe you guys could set up a sting...

Macstar
14th August 2008, 12:38
You should see my garage these days: I have an Aprilia, a VFR, couple of Suzukis... anyone want a race bike or some parts?

Ragingrob
14th August 2008, 17:52
You should see my garage these days: I have an Aprilia, a VFR, couple of Suzukis... anyone want a race bike or some parts?

Gimme gimme gimme! VFR front brake discs thank you very much :yes:

Zealot
14th August 2008, 23:40
I'd like to stick something like this...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=170955369

under the seat of my bike

Then we would know where to go "visiting"

Maybe you guys could set up a sting...

That won't work. GPS requires line of sight - hence it can't work in caves, or in buildings.

It works by time of flight for a signal to/from three or more satellites. If you whack it under the seat, it won't be able to get a signal to the satellites.

You'd have to have an external antenna mounted somewhere creatively.

jim.cox
15th August 2008, 09:53
That won't work. GPS requires line of sight - hence it can't work in caves, or in buildings.

It works by time of flight for a signal to/from three or more satellites. If you whack it under the seat, it won't be able to get a signal to the satellites.

You'd have to have an external antenna mounted somewhere creatively.

Seat base on my bike is fibreglass - GPS radio frequency penetrates that quite fine thank you.

And an external antenna is also possible

Murray
15th August 2008, 10:30

SM

Where can you get them at this price in Hamilton and pardon the ignorance but is there a one fit all????

motorbyclist
15th August 2008, 12:25
Seat base on my bike is fibreglass - GPS radio frequency penetrates that quite fine thank you.

will struggle to get through a van though, same for a steel roof

firefighter
15th August 2008, 13:21
everyone keeps on mentioning rolling it away when theres a disk lock on- surely one front AND back would prevent this altogether? (besides the whole thief disk lock removal) it would surely be a pretty good deterrent if they saw they'd have to pick the whole thing up rather than just the front?

And that GPS thing looks pretty bloody good, can't be all that hard to disguise an aerial, and it should work through a van or garage- I have a GPS watch for running which gives me accurate co-ordinates (at worst 10m) and it gets a signal from inside the house before I start, so I imagine that thing would produce a far more signifigant signal than my watch.....perhaps just having the aerial in a pain in the arse place to get to inside the fairing where it's unseen- ie they won't find it witout really pulling the thing apart-would be bloody obvious doing that on the side of the road...

Dargor
15th August 2008, 15:55
Where can you get them at this price in Hamilton and pardon the ignorance but is there a one fit all????

I know waikato yamaha have some cheap disk locks. Yes they usually they are one fit all.

As for disk locks not being good enough, well then any form of security short of an armed guard isn't good enough. Sure all security can be passed but all you need to do is make the job hard enough that the theft leaves your bike alone. Remember thieves are lazy, that's whey there thieves.

skidMark
15th August 2008, 15:57

One size fit all and any bike shop can get them for you, on trademe too.

skidMark
15th August 2008, 16:00
everyone keeps on mentioning rolling it away when theres a disk lock on- surely one front AND back would prevent this altogether? (besides the whole thief disk lock removal) it would surely be a pretty good deterrent if they saw they'd have to pick the whole thing up rather than just the front?

And that GPS thing looks pretty bloody good, can't be all that hard to disguise an aerial, and it should work through a van or garage- I have a GPS watch for running which gives me accurate co-ordinates (at worst 10m) and it gets a signal from inside the house before I start, so I imagine that thing would produce a far more signifigant signal than my watch.....perhaps just having the aerial in a pain in the arse place to get to inside the fairing where it's unseen- ie they won't find it witout really pulling the thing apart-would be bloody obvious doing that on the side of the road...

My point is...NONE of the bikes stolen...have had a DISK LOCK fitted... just the key turned to steering lock, so they break the steering lock and roll the bike away...

If they used disc locks they cannot be rolled away...

they would have to break off the disc lock first...and that takes time...and noise...

If not they would have to start carrying into vans etc...at this stage they use cars...guy jumps out...and rides / rolls it away, they do not load them up at the uni....

Bend-it
15th August 2008, 16:13
Why not just use a normal padlock? Obviously one that is able to fit in the hole on the brake disc... Costs alot less...

skidMark
15th August 2008, 16:44
Why not just use a normal padlock? Obviously one that is able to fit in the hole on the brake disc... Costs alot less...

Yep i spose that would suffice, but the padlock has area the can be cut that is not near the disc with bolt cutters etc, disc lock has the big solid casting, a fuckload harder to get to the pin.

I'm not going into too many details due to the chances are the thiefs do read KB... Ie...posting about stings etc is kind of pointless.

Bend-it
15th August 2008, 17:01
Stunned silence at my incredible brilliance, or stupidity?

I (just having bought a new bike), was thinking of getting a disc lock, and the "normal padlock" idea just happened while reading this thread, so I was wondering if it's been done, or won't work... seems like a simple solution...

Patar
15th August 2008, 18:38
Stunned silence at my incredible brilliance, or stupidity?

I (just having bought a new bike), was thinking of getting a disc lock, and the "normal padlock" idea just happened while reading this thread, so I was wondering if it's been done, or won't work... seems like a simple solution...

If owners of bikes with disklocks can easily forget that their disklock is on, then surely an inconspicuous lock will be missed by the thief and hence the thief will still try to roll it away, possibly causing damage to your brake callipers/disc.

Most disc locks are fairly brightly coloured so that would-be thieves see them and think "naa".

Zealot
15th August 2008, 18:53

That's true, a seat is rather thin, and being non-metal you don't have a faraday cage effect. It might be ok, but I'd make sure you could fit an external antenna before buying one.

Metal cases are a pain - my swipe card for uni doesn't work through my aluminium card holder... meaning I can't leave my wallet at home, or I have to take it out of the holder every time instead of waving my pocket at the door.

I really should get a disc lock...

Ixion
15th August 2008, 18:54

Yep. done that for years. Get one of those padlocks with an elongated shackle thingy .

puddy
15th August 2008, 19:07
You selling disk locks skidmark?
No, he's stealing the bikes!:bleh:

Squiggles
16th August 2008, 10:09

The other side of using padlocks is that they're sometimes a bastard to carry around, whereas a disklock easily fits, and can be somewhat harder to remove

with disklock on, its going to take them a while to drag it out of the carpark they dont have vehicle access to

bomma
16th August 2008, 10:13
The other side of using padlocks is that they're sometimes a bastard to carry around, whereas a disklock easily fits, and can be somewhat harder to remove

with disklock on, its going to take them a while to drag it out of the carpark they dont have vehicle access to

i reckon a disklock would be a buttload harder to take off coz of the way its built....the locking part of a padlock is easily accessible while on a disklock, its got the disk on two sides and massive chunks of metal on two sides so its pretty hard to get to.....

motorbyclist
16th August 2008, 22:37
or just secure the thing to the ground with a cable....

motorbyclist
16th August 2008, 22:42
My point is...NONE of the bikes stolen...have had a DISK LOCK fitted... just the key turned to steering lock, so they break the steering lock and roll the bike away...

If they used disc locks they cannot be rolled away...

they would have to break off the disc lock first...and that takes time...and noise...

If not they would have to start carrying into vans etc...at this stage they use cars...guy jumps out...and rides / rolls it away, they do not load them up at the uni....

bollocks and bollocks

without looking at the stats i think it's a safe assumption that many bikes have sim ply been carried from their park into a van

and what sort of an idiot would try to steal a bike without a van? if they can't get it started immediately they need a way to conceal it as they take it away. sure a car may be used, but a van would be much more useful (and who argues with tradesman carrying bolt cutters vs random carrying bolt cutters)? ie, break lock, wheel bike away and into van, drive across town to deal to bike

Hanne
17th August 2008, 12:11
bollocks and bollocks

without looking at the stats i think it's a safe assumption that many bikes have sim ply been carried from their park into a van

and what sort of an idiot would try to steal a bike without a van? if they can't get it started immediately they need a way to conceal it as they take it away. sure a car may be used, but a van would be much more useful (and who argues with tradesman carrying bolt cutters vs random carrying bolt cutters)? ie, break lock, wheel bike away and into van, drive across town to deal to bike

A van would be quick and less suspicious to passers by, just say 'oh, I broke down/ binned on the way to uni, just getting it home now'
Especially on Symonds st that would be easy, pull up alongside, but same with cp36, back in by barrier, roll bike up over curb and straight into van, no one can even see. (set back from road, few people walk through car park from the street)THAT is whay a camera on the entrance would be a good idea.
Don't think a lock would be much of a deterrant to be honest.

HungusMaximist
17th August 2008, 12:55
Preventive measures are all good in all, but like we discussed with the club, if they want your bike bad enough they will get it.

However, having a few security measures in places might be the difference between a stolen bike and a bike that's still there. It's all about making it harder for the thieves to target your bike.

The other thing I like to mention is the average person's mentality (and this was discussed last year when a series of uni bikes got taxed). It seems, nobody is going to give a flying donut if a thief is rolling your bike into a van in broad daylight outside Symonds St. Unfortunately, it's just the way is is, most people won't question the actions because most people don't give a rats ass about what's going on, they're too far worried about themselves.

The underlying message, don't leave it to chance, get your bike security sorted.

skidMark
17th August 2008, 12:59
bollocks and bollocks

Not a safe assumption at all.

I know thier operation. I am saying no more beyond that they only use sedans and move onto another bike if it has a disc lock.

Not one bike to date has been stolen from the uni that had a disc lock.

Fact.

Do not ask me how i know, because i am not going to tell you.

Ragingrob
17th August 2008, 13:24
I do very much like the idea of one or two cameras watching over our babies. More than likely there is only one or two small groups of people at work here, it's not as if every bike criminal in Auck would be targeting Auck Uni to this extent.

So, a camera wont stop a theft, but get that one person's number plate/face on camera, get the cops to deal to them like they should, and voila, he'd have to be desperate to try again.

motorbyclist
17th August 2008, 13:51
Don't think a lock would be much of a deterrant to be honest.

+1 for that post

in my case, considering the speed in which my bike was nicked, i reckon a lock would have done nothing. they wanted it, all a lock would have done is made rob's more appealing

but what a lock does offer is a lower excess

cameras would just increase the chances of recovery... which is ideal for many of the uninsured or those who really don't want to go hunting for new bike

HungusMaximist
17th August 2008, 14:31
Well, like I said mate, you're trying to minimize your risk of somebody nicking your bike.

Sure, it they want it bad enough they'll take it but who knows, having one could have ruled out your bike at least. It is a game of chance that you're playing with, wouldn't you wanna have the upper hand bro? Now if you were to tell me that you had a disc lock on the front and a nice cable lock on the rear and tied it up to something solid, and it still got nicked that would be a different story.

What we we should be doing is getting a message out there that we don't tolerate thieves and if half of the bikes chucked on a disc lock or a cable lock there wouldn't that deter you?

shingo
17th August 2008, 17:33

I know their operation. I am saying no more beyond that they only use sedans and move onto another bike if it has a disc lock.

Fact.

If you know all that then why the fuck haven't you done anything to stop their operation from continuing, or do you like seeing people have their bikes stolen?

motorbyclist
17th August 2008, 17:41
bloody moderation of post causing them to slip in late

I know thier operation. I am saying no more beyond that they only use sedans and move onto another bike if it has a disc lock.

Fact.

IF, mr troll, you do infact know about this, could you kindly inform me of where my bike is? i really am finding myself well and truly rooted thanks to these dickheads - costing over a hundred bucks a week in petrol, might not finish this assignment in time due to bike shopping, and can't delay bike shopping due to aforementioned financial disaster fast restricting my choice of bike

seriously, of all the people to steal from why the fuck would you pick on students? We're possibly one of the most vulnerable groups when it comes to unforseen expenses, and usually our vehicle is our only asset (electronics depreciate too much to count as asset in my books)

Slyer
17th August 2008, 18:07
They are no Robin Hoods that's for sure.
They don't give a fuck.

Squiggles
17th August 2008, 18:09
IF, mr troll, you do infact know about this, could you kindly inform me of where my bike is? i really am finding myself well and truly rooted thanks to these dickheads - costing over a hundred bucks a week in petrol, might not finish this assignment in time due to bike shopping, and can't delay bike shopping due to aforementioned financial disaster fast restricting my choice of bike

He doesnt know who did it, he's simply commenting on how its been done (and noticed) i.e. How they work.... The ignition of the rsv that was stolen was left on the ground, the next week the same dudes (presumably) rocked up in a car, and tried to screwdriver an R1... they're taking whatever they can move. Presumably with the viffer, they would have pinged the steering lock, and moved it to somewhere they could load it/hide it/ start it without being noticed

seriously, of all the people to steal from why the fuck would you pick on students? We're possibly one of the most vulnerable groups when it comes to unforseen expenses, and usually our vehicle is our only asset (electronics depreciate too much to count as asset in my books)

Given that it can be assumed to not be skidmark, WHO THE ARE YOU RAGING AT IN THIS THREAD????
They presumably wanted a viffer, or they would have taken another bike. Theifs dont care who you are, only what you've got.

While i like the sound of locks, do these particular ones screech if you get near the bike? or only if you tamper with them?

Slyer
17th August 2008, 18:18
Only if you move them.

Squiggles
17th August 2008, 19:18
Only if you move them.

Them or the lock... seeing as we're forever moving our bikes around down under science...

Slyer
17th August 2008, 19:31
Lock+Chain. :)
http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/accessory/main/CLAW/page1/

Phurrball
17th August 2008, 19:33
(Snip)

Mr SkidMark:

Should you actually know something more than is in your post (as you allude), I trust you are talking to the Police and any parties concerned. I'm sure any information would be welcome. It is your duty as a concerned citizen and fellow motorcyclist.

Otherwise, you are trolling around a sensitive subject in a rather ill-mannered way.

How would you feel if someone 'nicked' your pride and joy and someone had the lack of courtesy to use your misfortune as an exercise in trolling?

Engage thy brain.

(snip)

but what a lock does offer is a lower excess

(snip)

^^^Depends on your policy wording and varies from insurer to insurer. READ that policy document closely people. It is the heart of your contract with your insurer.

BANZAI
17th August 2008, 19:34
Suspect the Munchy Mart Vans!!

Every windows of the van are tinted dark and guys driving wear hoodies. :p

klyong82
18th August 2008, 00:17

So you think its a funny issue?

motorbyclist
18th August 2008, 00:36
He doesnt know who did it, he's simply commenting on how its been done (and noticed) i.e. How they work....

that was not what i read from his post.. he pretty clearly stated that he knew something about these theifs and their 'operation'

which of course is likely BS, but hey it was a successful troll either way wasn't it?

Given that it can be assumed to not be skidmark, WHO THE ARE YOU RAGING AT IN THIS THREAD????
They presumably wanted a viffer, or they would have taken another bike. Theifs dont care who you are, only what you've got.

i wasn't raging, just angrily commenting at exactly that - they could at least be a slight bit considerate to the damage they're potentially dealing.

rie
18th August 2008, 14:00
firstly, if you do not yet have a disc lock on your bike yet, it's not a good idea to be announcing it on the internet. i've noticed a few such posts this this thread so far.

secondly, i agree with hanne - but even if disclocks are not a 100% guaranteed deterrent, you need to make it as difficult as you can for a thief.

most of us can't afford trackers and stuff, but if you can't spend this week's pay on at LEAST two disc locks, you shouldn't be taking the bike out til you can. you should have budgeted for security before you even bought the bike.

thirdly, it seems to me that parking your bike in different places around uni might also be a good idea.

Chrislost
18th August 2008, 14:37

nah, The guys who drive the xerox cars, saw one of them look at a jacket that was chained to a bike last semester.

Or what about the construction workers that are not working there anymore...?

thirdly, it seems to me that parking your bike in different places around uni might also be a good idea.

that means more walking... Besides, i like to put my bike into a underground carpark that hardly anyone walks through(with no locks on)

motorbyclist
18th August 2008, 17:07

didn't work for me....

Patar
18th August 2008, 19:29
So you think its a funny issue?

Some of you guys take things too seriously.

Yes it's a shit hole that we've got thieves targeting student bikes, and yes I can sympathise with the pain of losing a bike. But at some point you've got to be able to take a step back and stop taking yourselves so seriously.

And all this whining on the internet isn't going to get anything done about it, and let's face it, no amount of complaints or suggestions to the University is going to change anything any time soon.

All we can do is take reasonable measures to protect ourselves.

Either that or we can set up a sting and actually do something about it...

Ragingrob
18th August 2008, 19:49
Some of you guys take things too seriously.

Yes it's a shit hole that we've got thieves targeting student bikes, and yes I can sympathise with the pain of losing a bike. But at some point you've got to be able to take a step back and stop taking yourselves so seriously.

And all this whining on the internet isn't going to get anything done about it, and let's face it, no amount of complaints or suggestions to the University is going to change anything any time soon.

All we can do is take reasonable measures to protect ourselves.

Either that or we can set up a sting and actually do something about it...

Take things too seriously? This is one of the very few times where we take something seriously, yet now someone's bike has been stolen less than a week ago and you're saying we should turn it into a joke?

This "whining" on the internet is called discussing options and strategies we can take to do something about the situation.

Set up a sting? As in organise our own txt2bash program, or install our own cameras? Oh just like we've been talking about doing within our "whining"?

So we shouldn't bother talking to Uni about getting some form of bike locks down in OGG? It's not worth even trying? Or a working camera in the staff car park? Na not worth it. Just fend for ourselves ay?

God with an attitude like that, I'll be the first one to turn the

Fucken bastards stole my bike :bye: thread

into a joke.

I'm sure we will all laugh about this in due time, but right now we DO need to talk seriously, we DO need to try and raise this issue, and we DON'T need people telling us to step back and have a laugh.

:argh:

;)

Squiggles
18th August 2008, 20:02
While i intend to raise thoughts on security with unisafe, i dont expect anything more than perhaps an additional camera on the entrance to cp36, I will see about us having chains down there, although its always a good idea to have one on you or a disklock. For the best part it is up to us, we arent paying to park down there. It's purely a good will relationship and we're on the winning side so far, but i can but try to get more and not overstep the boundary.

Zim_Invader
18th August 2008, 22:32
im thinking the uni wil prob only extend help as far as a working camera in th compsci car park. perhaps if we got something like the bicycle docks - metal bars outlining bike parking slots - more order that way too (so some scooters can't take up 2 bike's worth of parking). the frame would offer more places to bolt/lock the bike to.

sadly, these are more visual deterrents, and some1 bent on a particular bike could bi-pass that easily...

to the guy that suggests moving around more, or parking elsewhere,.. lemme tell u this. of teh very many ppl in uni that i know, few would lift a finger if they saw something happenint to a bike on symonds. almost all the ppl that i know that have a bike, park at the underground spot. and the best part about that is that one of them is always passing through that place, at least every 30 mins. and evry one of them knows the owner of all the bikes there. so parking there, is as safe as it'd get... here's why... they pass through and see some retard on one of teh bikes, and knows for sure that they have no ties with the owner of teh bike, then the chance of them stepping up an saying/doing something are very very high. (added security). - i hope that was said clearly enough.

will think up other options. and will make some plan to put up the missing bike notice, before lects, for u andrew. u never do know who may have seen something...

bomma
18th August 2008, 22:51
Take things too seriously? This is one of the very few times where we take something seriously, yet now someone's bike has been stolen less than a week ago and you're saying we should turn it into a joke?

This "whining" on the internet is called discussing options and strategies we can take to do something about the situation.

Set up a sting? As in organise our own txt2bash program, or install our own cameras? Oh just like we've been talking about doing within our "whining"?

So we shouldn't bother talking to Uni about getting some form of bike locks down in OGG? It's not worth even trying? Or a working camera in the staff car park? Na not worth it. Just fend for ourselves ay?

God with an attitude like that, I'll be the first one to turn the

thread

into a joke.

I'm sure we will all laugh about this in due time, but right now we DO need to talk seriously, we DO need to try and raise this issue, and we DON'T need people telling us to step back and have a laugh.

:argh:

;)

in the undying words of fps doug (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j02tCXVpjws) "BOOOM HEDSHOT!!!" :2guns:

Hanne
19th August 2008, 10:52
of teh very many ppl in uni that i know, few would lift a finger if they saw something happenint to a bike on symonds. almost all the ppl that i know that have a bike, park at the underground spot. and the best part about that is that one of them is always passing through that place, at least every 30 mins. and evry one of them knows the owner of all the bikes there. so parking there, is as safe as it'd get... here's why... they pass through and see some retard on one of teh bikes, and knows for sure that they have no ties with the owner of teh bike, then the chance of them stepping up an saying/doing something are very very high. (added security).

That is very true, just about every time I come or go from down there ehab is wandering past or someone else is parking up/ just leaving.
The 'community watch' sort of thing can't be overlooked.
I reckon a camera on the gate would give us a better chance of tracking down culprits if this happens again but we actually have more chance of keeping the bikes safe by knowing each other, going and chatting to people we haven't seen before (both on bikes and off, I've spoken to a few people checking out other bikes down there, some rode, some used to, if they were up to anything it is a deterrrant that you know their face, otherwise knowing the other bikers is a plus for safety).
of course none of the suggestiosn made are mutually exclusive either.
Nothing wrong with fitting a lock and camera,also nothing wrong with looking out for each other. Maybe wandering down there at random times you are free when things are not so busy down there.

Timati
19th August 2008, 17:07
The idea of the SMC looking out for shady characters seems to be an ideal solution although like a few pointed out earlier, you don't tend find too many people willing to approach someone they think might be possibly pinching a bike. I still think the Uni. should take more responsibility. What's next on the list after bikes ...cars, harassing students...etc..It has to start somewhere. I don't quite seem to get why the Uni. would be hesitant to invest in a few more additional cameras (that actually work). It benefits them as well as students. Am sure that if somewhere were to suggest reporting this to the news, the Uni. would be rushing to go out there to get those cameras...

skidMark
19th August 2008, 17:12
bloody moderation of post causing them to slip in late

You answered it yourself, it is simple vunerability.

You think a thief cares, you guys are easy pickings, the opportunity is there so they take it.

I do not know where your bike is sorry.

Hanne
19th August 2008, 17:50
I would rather have someone come up to me if they were worried about my actions around a bike....
If it is mine and I am pushing it (yes, has happened severla times) it is nice to get a hand, if someone's trying ot rip it off you can usually tell after a few friendly questions about the bike. And that is when cell phones are useful.

Not saying this is the only way to go, just that you shouldn't be scared to t approach people. Most of them are actually quite nice.

skidMark
19th August 2008, 17:55
Mr SkidMark:

Should you actually know something more than is in your post (as you allude), I trust you are talking to the Police and any parties concerned. I'm sure any information would be welcome. It is your duty as a concerned citizen and fellow motorcyclist.

Otherwise, you are trolling around a sensitive subject in a rather ill-mannered way.

How would you feel if someone 'nicked' your pride and joy and someone had the lack of courtesy to use your misfortune as an exercise in trolling?

Engage thy brain.

^^^Depends on your policy wording and varies from insurer to insurer. READ that policy document closely people. It is the heart of your contract with your insurer.

My post only stated facts that are known to me.

I do not have enough to pin these guys down as yet, they are a friend of my friends friend...

I can get bikes back possibly, but it takes a few days and it basically has to be my bike, can't get them for randoms... I have tried before...

Wish there was more i could do guys, the only way i know what i do is because drunk people sometimes bring up topics that they shouldn't...

I have said too much as it is.

Now you know everything i do, so don't make me feel like the cunt here, i gave you extra information which i could have not given.

Gift horse....mouth.

Patar
19th August 2008, 19:30
One person makes an innocent joke and he gets snapped at, I didn't say it wasn't a serious issue.

When this one event seems to have spawned three separate 'discussions' ( discussion used loosely as I doubt "lets smash 'em bro" qualifies).

A 'txt2bash' program as you so eloquently put it, is a stupid plan and most of you here know it. There will likely be more of them than you.
I would suggest luring with bait and getting photographic evidence of the act in progress and approaching the coppers with this information.

You can talk to the uni, but I'm not holding my breath for any swift action to be taken.
To take immediate positive action, I would first start informing the 2 wheelers on campus of this activity and warning them that vulnerable bikes are targeted by use of flyers and posters. I would probably also tell them to approach anyone acting suspiciously and give them a phone number of one of stephen or someone, possibly even directing them to this forum.

Protecting an uninformed public won't have as much of an affect as if they knew what was going on underneath their noses.

HungusMaximist
19th August 2008, 20:20
When this one event seems to have spawned three separate 'discussions' ( discussion used loosely as I doubt "lets smash 'em bro" qualifies).

A 'txt2bash' program as you so eloquently put it, is a stupid plan and most of you here know it. There will likely be more of them than you.
I would suggest luring with bait and getting photographic evidence of the act in progress and approaching the coppers with this information.

Text2bash scheme was a piss take mate and we were using as a lighthearted banter to let the wider public know our frustrations and that we were all very serious about this. Still, it's a step in the right direction as we had to get the idea ball rolling some how.

Like you mentioned, a more practical approach would be setting some sort of sting and getting photographic/video evidence and then chasing them after it. Another KB member mentioned a GPS unit hidden in the bike and while this is all good, implementing these ideas is totally another story. You said it yourself, I won't be holding my breath either for the Uni or anybody to do jack about it.

Best thing I can recommend all is take preventive measures, by installing a disc lock (shitty you may call it but it may just make the difference) or cable lock it to something stationary. And also start spreading the word around that thieves are on the prowl. The club could even make up a poster and do a poster round around uni highlighting the risks, just like the ones you get in shopping center carparks 'lock it or lose it'.

End of the day, you make the choice of whether to do something about it and I reckon as a club we should advocate bike security and do our bit for the people that got their bikes nicked.

The thieves still deserves a bash though.

Ragingrob
19th August 2008, 21:52
One person makes an innocent joke and he gets snapped at, I didn't say it wasn't a serious issue.

There's a time and a place. Anyway, I dunno if Kim was even just joking when he snapped at Banzai :p

I believe a lot more has been discussed than "lets smash 'em bro". By the way, it's "bash", not "smash"... Big difference!

Maybe you don't quite understand what the txt2bash scheme is all about, it's actually about spying something suspicious going on at Uni and getting in contact with others to try and put together a preventative action.

For such a "stupid" plan, it does make people a lot more aware of what's happening and keep an eye out for certain things.

The R1 that parks on Symonds got saved by someone keeping an eye out last year I'm pretty sure.

You would suggest.... What?! We've been talking about the camera idea the entire time, and yes I think that we would need to talk with the Uni even if we wanted to install our own cameras.

Bait? So you're gonna donate a bike to the thieves for us?

You can talk to the uni, but I'm not holding my breath for any swift action to be taken.

As above... We would need to talk to them even if we want to install our own cameras or our own kind of communal locking system.

To take immediate positive action, I would first start informing the 2 wheelers on campus of this activity and warning them that vulnerable bikes are targeted by use of flyers and posters.

Well Andrew did request for us to put his flyer up on lecture projectors in order to hopefully gain any more knowledge about the event. That would've acted as an informant that maybe we should be cautious. I assume that you aided us by spreading the flyer and word of this?

I would probably also tell them to approach anyone acting suspiciously and give them a phone number of one of stephen or someone, possibly even directing them to this forum.

Give the thief Stephen's number and direct them to the forum? Lol jokes... but this sounds suspiciously like the txt2bash scheme!

Protecting an uninformed public won't have as much of an affect as if they knew what was going on underneath their noses.

Point taken, I know where you're coming from and I do agree. But it's easy to talk the talk and not walk the walk, if ya know what I mean.

It's not exactly aiding us when someone makes light of the situation (and no I'm not putting this all on you), and says things which imply not even bothering mentioning it to Uni etc.

On a more serious note :blink:

We just wanna riiiiiiide, and now poor Andrew can't do just that on his beloved vifferari :(

BANZAI
19th August 2008, 22:45
:o maybe I shouldn't have posted that comment, but I alredy told that to Andrew when I saw him and he was laughing at it so I thought maybe its ok to post in here........

motorbyclist
20th August 2008, 02:03
I would first start informing the 2 wheelers on campus of this activity and warning them that vulnerable bikes are targeted by use of flyers and posters. I

+1

the flyer i had put up at lectures and posted up around uni parking spots actually has a note to that effect

bomma
20th August 2008, 08:52
last year i saw the r1 getting stolen and used the txt2bash scheme and managed to scare away the fucks...got their licence plate and called the cops. there apparently had been a traffic cop sittin at one of the off-ramps near symonds st but yet that unit did nothing while the car kept driving up and down symonds st. im not even sure if the cops showed up in the end. the car turned out to be stolen and the matter was dropped.

my point here is that from my experiences, it is ABSOLUTELY USELESS calling the cops. and im not saying that we should enforce our own "Rob Norris" law but in all seriousness if a "sting-operation" were to be setup and a bike taken, no matter how much video evidence you have, the cops probably wont be able to do anything with it.

from my point of view, prevention is better than the cure. lock your bikes and use as many deterrants as you possbily can. obviously the old myth of "park it next to a more valuable bike" is just that, a myth. no bikes an exception. when you ride, you know that everyone's out to kill you. similarly, when you park, know that your bike is a target for some muppet, cock-sucking asshole whose goal in life is to suck cock and take it up the arse.

Ragingrob
20th August 2008, 08:54
+1

the flyer i had put up at lectures and posted up around uni parking spots actually has a note to that effect

Yip definitely, whole lectures would go quiet and read it then all talk about it. I got people telling me how horrible it is etc!

Ragingrob
20th August 2008, 09:30
:o maybe I shouldn't have posted that comment, but I alredy told that to Andrew when I saw him and he was laughing at it so I thought maybe its ok to post in here........

Hey na man don't worry. It wasn't really the 'joke' or the 'lightening of things' that hit a nerve. It was just the whole...

Ah don't worry lol I've gone overboard :doh:

:done:

All good Patar :second:

Yep let's lock our bikes as best we can, keep an eye out for anything suspicious, and discuss some surveillance/security ideas over a beer at the chiller :2thumbsup

motorbyclist
21st August 2008, 00:09
i agree;

more beer!

skidMark
22nd August 2008, 14:40
Excuse my ignorence, but this thread i made and all posts contained in it have been helpful giving advice and any information i had to help out.

I have tried to help.

So then why is it i am getting alot of red rep?

I could have kept information i had to myself. Did i? No...

Great to see the appreciation guys truely really thats just great.

Don't think i will bother coming to the chiller now. :oi-grr:

Skid.

Slyer
23rd August 2008, 00:15
Yeah, so much for not coming eh? ;)

Squiggles
23rd August 2008, 11:08

we're so awesome he had to come :rockon:

skidMark
23rd August 2008, 15:16

Yeah nah yeah ahhh lol

:2thumbsup

c u next week lol

bomma
24th August 2008, 23:26
Yeah nah yeah ahhh lol

:2thumbsup

c u next week lol

gonna ride bitch on the r6 with stevo again??:crazy:

skidMark
26th August 2008, 10:09
gonna ride bitch on the r6 with stevo again??:crazy:

I don't think so Tim.

lol

He lane splits to slow :banana:

Mind you it could've been worse... I went bitch on tonys cbr600 the other day... :buggerd:

Nah, i will come in but will come on the train, costs me a buck extra to bring the kawasaki green bmx of doom along. :headbang:

racefactory
26th August 2008, 23:57
Hi guys,

I'd like to point out something which has not been yet underlined enough by the majority of folk.

PLEASE EVERYONE- we can fit as many disk locks and fucking contraptions to our bikes as we care to, but I'd like to point out and underline that we together should just as importantly be looking out for behaviour and suspicious groups/individuals/vehicles- not just locking up our own fucking bikes with more precaution.

The reason i think that this in particular is so important at this time is because it is OBVIOUS that the cunts are targetting auckland uni bikes in particular- ie. they are looking for our bikes, in our uni. In my opinion, i think that this narrows it down to being possibly just a single group of a few organised goons who are doing all of this. IF any of us could just so much as spot anything suspicious, we could may very well be knocking out all uni bike thefts with one shot. It could be just one group we would have to nail- just one lot.

Whenever your walking to lectures (1 hour each lecture in AU) , do make a good effort to keep your eyes peeled for ANYTHING suspicious.

The following would be a good list to look out for maybe?

Passing cars- shit looking cars/no plate/dodgy characters possibly with a helmet or equipment in the back. Get a plate number if you can. Especially vans. If it's waiting somewhere by/in the uni itself and triggers your interest- fucking follow it, no hesitation.

People walking with a helmet who are wearing no signs of motorcycle gear or student clothing. They could have just came out of a car and could be on the way to steal a bike.

Anybody looking at motorcycles- just take a few minutes to watch them to be sure. Just think you could be saving people thousands.
-I was in fact looking at another VFR400 (a KB member's) in Uni the other day, walking around it, checking out each side and everything- not one person cast a glance at what I was doing- we need more eyes because the reality is no one gives a fuck.

People getting out of cars with helmets.

As has been said before- where there is a will, there is a way. They can nick anything if they want, so please, as well as taking extra measures to lock our own bikes up, just do those things everytime you're going between lectures. It doesn't even cost you anything. That way we have a chance to rid the threat all together- much more effective than any fucking disk lock.

Also, if you've got some spare time and really have nothing to do- why not spend some time patrolling the parking areas? You get to look at some bikes anyway- it can't be that bad! If anyone has seen a guy taking their time checking out bikes and their odometers (especially sports bikes!) on symonds st then that's probably me!

I'm actually at AUT- but i often come up to AU. I have started to spend my waiting time in AU at the bike places. It's time to start taking this shit seriously as people are realising on this thread. I'm keen to hear from people about any ideas regarding bike protection etc.

Let's hope we have no more bike thefts from now on.

Cheers.

bomma
27th August 2008, 00:11
Hi guys,

I'd like to point out something which has not been yet underlined enough by the majority of folk.

PLEASE EVERYONE- we can fit as many disk locks and fucking contraptions to our bikes as we care to, but I'd like to point out and underline that we together should just as importantly be looking out for behaviour and suspicious groups/individuals/vehicles- not just locking up our own fucking bikes with more precaution.

The reason i think that this in particular is so important at this time is because it is OBVIOUS that the cunts are targetting auckland uni bikes in particular- ie. they are looking for our bikes, in our uni. In my opinion, i think that this narrows it down to being possibly just a single group of a few organised goons who are doing all of this. IF any of us could just so much as spot anything suspicious, we could may very well be knocking out all uni bike thefts with one shot. It could be just one group we would have to nail- just one lot.

Whenever your walking to lectures (1 hour each lecture in AU) , do make a good effort to keep your eyes peeled for ANYTHING suspicious.

The following would be a good list to look out for maybe?

Passing cars- shit looking cars/no plate/dodgy characters possibly with a helmet or equipment in the back. Get a plate number if you can. Especially vans. If it's in the Uni- fucking follow it.

People walking with a helmet who are wearing no signs of motorcycle gear or student clothing. They could have just came out of a car and could be on the way to steal a bike.

Anybody looking at motorcycles- just take a few minutes to watch them to be sure. Just think you could be saving people thousands.
-I was in fact looking at another VFR400 in Uni the other day, walking around it, checking out each side and everything- not one person cast a glance at what I was doing- we need more eyes because the reality is no one gives a fuck.

People getting out of cars with helmets.

As has been said before- where there is a will, there is a way. They can nick anything if they want, so please, as well as taking extra measures to lock our own bikes up, just do those things everytime you're going between lectures. It doesn't even cost you anything. That way we have a chance to rid the threat all together- much more effective than any fucking disk lock.

Also, if you've got some spare time and really have nothing to do- why not spend some time patrolling the parking areas? You get to look at some bikes anyway- it can't be that bad! If anyone has seen a guy taking their time checking out bikes and their odometers (especially sports bikes!) on symonds st then that's probably me!

Let's hope we have no more bike thefts from now on.

Cheers.

hey mate well pointed out and i fully agree with you....having been in such an experience, i can say that this is definately a great deterrant....however i would just like to point out that having experienced it, i have found that the cops dont give a flying fuck, and that the theives after having been chased away had the ballz to drive up and down symonds st a couple more times before they fucked off in their stolen car.....i dont see it stopping but i FULLY AGREE that this would help a great deal of bikers save a great deal of time, effort, mone and grief!!! Well done :rockon:

motorbyclist
27th August 2008, 00:12
haha, ever since my theft i've made a point of walking through CP36 whenever i go to the commons/science, and every time i bump into SMCers who then get held up as more arrive and join in the conversation before we all have to leave due to an hour having passed and the next lot of lectures started 10 minutes ago:clap:

how the fuck those theives didn't get spotted is beyond me

racefactory
27th August 2008, 00:20
hey mate well pointed out and i fully agree with you....having been in such an experience, i can say that this is definately a great deterrant....however i would just like to point out that having experienced it, i have found that the cops dont give a flying fuck, and that the theives after having been chased away had the ballz to drive up and down symonds st a couple more times before they fucked off in their stolen car.....i dont see it stopping but i FULLY AGREE that this would help a great deal of bikers save a great deal of time, effort, mone and grief!!! Well done :rockon:

Hey man- when i mentioned plates, i did just as importantly mean for the info of KB members to look out for. If we work together that's probably a lot more effective than police yea.

skidMark
27th August 2008, 00:35
Hey man- when i mentioned plates, i did just as importantly mean for the info of KB members to look out for. If we work together that's probably a lot more effective than police yea.

On your topic of disc locks though.

Of the 15 bikes total parked on friday i saw, some of them very very very nice bikes, a mere 2 had disc locks.

Shit they are $30.

Real_Wolf
27th August 2008, 08:25
yeah, and then my bike doesn't start cause robs there.

If I see rob there I should just decide to stay at uni for anotehr hour.

On the point of bike theft, theres really not much you can do to intimidate them if they don't want to be. Stolen plates, plus useless police, mean that you can't really stop them if you catch them in the act, unless you catch them right at the start of it

bomma
27th August 2008, 10:23

mate a dancing monkey tied to the bike would be more effective than the entire police force!! and yea like you said in your first post, it's a great idea to keep an eye out

On the point of bike theft, theres really not much you can do to intimidate them if they don't want to be. Stolen plates, plus useless police, mean that you can't really stop them if you catch them in the act, unless you catch them right at the start of it

im not 100% sure what you mean by this but from my experience, while they're in the act is prolly the best time to spook em....but i agree on the intimidation, nothing less than a shotgun or rusty blade at the ballz will deter these muppets.....where's Judge Dredd when you need him?!?! "I AM THE LAW" classic :headbang:

Squiggles
27th August 2008, 12:01
Its simple as to why they hit the uni park, its the single biggest in auckland (150.5m allocated out of a total 306.5 in auckland city)... Their risk has paid off so far.

motorbyclist
27th August 2008, 20:05
Step One to reducing bike thefts:

big fuck-off alarmed disc locks, at cost, for you (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=80665)

Zim_Invader
27th August 2008, 23:56
best thing about cp36... it's the driest way to get from science building to commons... u may walk a bit more, but u do it shit loads drier. good "scenery" while downstairs.... i mean, who can go wrong with all them pretty bikes down there? and chances of bumping into some1 u know are pretty high.. see. perfect way to mantain social ties, enjoy teh walk, and keep dry in the rain. walk through cp36, and help antagonise bike theft. (it's a win win situation - unless u're in a rush)

2wheeljunkie
28th August 2008, 00:28
best thing about cp36... it's the driest way to get from science building to commons... u may walk a bit more, but u do it shit loads drier. good "scenery" while downstairs.... i mean, who can go wrong with all them pretty bikes down there? and chances of bumping into some1 u know are pretty high.. see. perfect way to mantain social ties, enjoy teh walk, and keep dry in the rain. walk through cp36, and help antagonise bike theft. (it's a win win situation - unless u're in a rush)

i know u do this cause sometimes we spend over an hour talking down there cause everyone meets and walks passed there..and the odd occasion of having to push the xs250..hehehe..:)..but me, ehab, zim and hassan normally make it a point to go and check up on the bikes during the day ..( we do this to get away from the books) and what a fine damn idea it is...

Zim_Invader
28th August 2008, 00:33
hear hear!!! bling kyles post !!! +1 and 1 more for sheer awesomeness as a means for getting your mind out of the books, and the daily dose of exercise (complements of wolf's xs!)

Zim_Invader
28th August 2008, 01:27
Excuse my ignorence, but this thread i made and all posts contained in it have been helpful giving advice and any information i had to help out.

I have tried to help.

So then why is it i am getting alot of red rep?

I could have kept information i had to myself. Did i? No...

Great to see the appreciation guys truely really thats just great.

Don't think i will bother coming to the chiller now. :oi-grr:

Skid.

see, it's not really that u haven't been helpful. that's not the point we're getting at. let's make an analogy here....

it's like u've thrown a dog a a bone. then 2 seconds later u shoot the dog with a tranquilizer. take the bone away, show it a stick and say "i've helped lots". see, though the friends of your friend's friend may have his bike, telling us this doesn't help. if u can pull a few strngs, awesome! and there u'd not only have helped,u'd have practically given andrew his bike... but procrastinating and then showing more sticks don't help the cause fully. it's not a question of us red repping u... more the method used.

haha... that being said... that's just my thoughts on that little input of yours buddy.

Real_Wolf
28th August 2008, 12:39
:P, yeah, the xs decided to stall again on the way home. Was riding with my mate, and we got to the bit just before cook street after aotea square, going straight through, on that little up hill bit, and it stalled. Luckily i was in the far left, so cars could pass me, then wheeled it slowly backwards, when there was no one there, turned around, adn was wondering how to hill start it.

Saw a lovely wide slightly downhill empty footpath, thought to myself "when theres a gap", and rolled it down there. Sure enough it started first off since it was warm, rode the rest of the way home keeping revs at 4k. Its fine now

2wheeljunkie
28th August 2008, 12:42
:P, yeah, the xs decided to stall again on the way home. Was riding with my mate, and we got to the bit just before cook street after aotea square, going straight through, on that little up hill bit, and it stalled. Luckily i was in the far left, so cars could pass me, then wheeled it slowly backwards, when there was no one there, turned around, adn was wondering how to hill start it.

Saw a lovely wide slightly downhill empty footpath, thought to myself "when theres a gap", and rolled it down there. Sure enough it started first off since it was warm, rode the rest of the way home keeping revs at 4k. Its fine now

must say the bike has character..:lol:

2wheeljunkie
28th August 2008, 12:42
hear hear!!! bling kyles post !!! +1 and 1 more for sheer awesomeness as a means for getting your mind out of the books, and the daily dose of exercise (complements of wolf's xs!)

it is eh zim..ahahha

skidMark
29th August 2008, 11:57

I sure as shit wasn't looking at the bikes as we went into the uni, squiggles can vouch i was eyeing up petite little asian girlys. mmmmmmmmmm :bleh:

skidMark
29th August 2008, 13:50
must say the bike has character..:lol:

Is that what you call it :wari: lol

motorbyclist
30th August 2008, 21:23
I sure as shit wasn't looking at the bikes as we went into the uni, squiggles can vouch i was eyeing up petite little asian girlys. mmmmmmmmmm :bleh:

dude just wait till the summer:drool:

xwhatsit
31st August 2008, 01:01

There's always got to be one shitter that's a bitch to start and won't idle properly in the club. My bike used to be it, but I sorted it -- sorry dude, must be your turn!

Real_Wolf
31st August 2008, 17:54
my bike idles perfectly fine.... when its warm.

It just doesn't like the cold, come summer it might even have no trouble at all with the starting

bomma
1st September 2008, 07:47
my bike idles perfectly fine.... when its warm.

It just doesn't like the cold, come summer it might even have no trouble at all with the starting

he he he he famous last words my friend *sits back and waits for inevitable explosion* :corn:

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 10:53
so what do we reckon guys? one or both pistons coming out the crankcase? :bleh:

Squiggles
1st September 2008, 14:39

Nar, a stephen special mixed with some jafa, andrew and ej (i.e. He'll drop a valve, hole a piston, and chuck a chain all while 12 o'clocking)

skidMark
1st September 2008, 15:44

My mate just broke all 4 rods on thier zxr.....

puddles are bad mmkay. :bye:

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 18:11
that's a pretty shocking intake system for it to take in water like that - did he mod the fuck out of it and ditch the filter or something or is this just the usual kawasaki engineering?

skidMark
1st September 2008, 20:34
that's a pretty shocking intake system for it to take in water like that - did he mod the fuck out of it and ditch the filter or something or is this just the usual kawasaki engineering?

Was common setup with the sprotsbikes back then eh....

Then the jappers wised up and put airboxes on top under the tank rather then going down back of motor.

PirateJafa
1st September 2008, 22:42

Jeez Andrew you're sounding like your father already. :slap:

motorbyclist
1st September 2008, 23:33
tbh i'm yet to impressed by a kawasaki....

PirateJafa
1st September 2008, 23:57
GPXs!

Bulletproof and great learners bikes. :)

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 00:03
i stand corrected then!

yes the gpx is pretty good, even if the bottom end is noisy and the tensioners tend to fail...
zxr is not bad either but if they can be blown up by a puddle..... (and they get all of 20000km per cam chain don't they?)

Slyer
2nd September 2008, 00:05
Kawasaki have style.

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 00:17
BAHAHAHAHAHA

bling awarded!

:killingme