PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox problem, start from the left or right?

Timmay
14th August 2008, 19:20
I have a honda CBX250rs which has developed a gurgling gears noise when being started by the starter motor. I have taken the starter motor and checked it and it is fine but the cog it drives within the gearbox can be wiggled back and forth. To get to this gear do i start taking the box apart from the left or right hand side of the bike? eg left(chain and gear selector side) or right(rear brake side)

Thanks to all who reply

TIIIMMMMMMAAAAAAYYYYYYY

Katman
14th August 2008, 21:15
Pull the stator cover off (the left hand cover) and the starter idler gear will be inside there.

The transmission doesn't have to come apart at all.

Timmay
15th August 2008, 10:50
No, the problem is not inside the starter motor, it is inside the transmission. Removing the stator cover reveals the stator, not the idler.

Katman
15th August 2008, 14:03
http://members.ld.infoseek.co.jp/m_tachi/images/bike/catalog/CBX250RSCATALOG04.JPG

My god, you're right!

Yet another reason why people have always said that motor was the biggest piece of shit Honda ever came out with.

Timmay
15th August 2008, 14:56
30hp from a single cylinder 250, "piece of shit"...ummm...ok then.

jrandom
15th August 2008, 15:00
The CBX250RS has radial valves?

I didn't know that.

That's totally cool.

Katman
15th August 2008, 16:54
30hp from a single cylinder 250, "piece of shit"...ummm...ok then.

Figures that motorcycle manufacturers quote and reality are often two totally different things.

The CB250RS was a great bike.

The CBX250RS wasn't.

Timmay
17th August 2008, 15:46
To answer my own question one must start dismantling from the right hand side (rear brake side).

Once one removes the side of the gearbox he is greeted by an idler bearing, ground to bits in the bottom of the sump. Good luck finding a replacement on Sunday. Off to Honda tomorrow then...

Subike
17th August 2008, 15:54
why go to honda for the bearing?
Look for the local SKF agent, take the outer bearing shell, which will have a number on it , to them . They should be able to supply a replacement at less cost that the honda OME part.
I get all my bearings and seals fro SKF, they can be up to %50 cheaper than the OME part, and normally have them in stock>
Instead of the "oh thats obloslete", or the " that will have to come from japan" statement parts department love saying . You will get " not a problem sir, we have that is stock, how many do you need? "

gammaguy
17th August 2008, 16:01
which is why honda have a nasty habit of making bearings in 1/2 mm increments....:no:

Timmay
17th August 2008, 17:55
on further inspection there are gear teeth in the sump oil... a new gear is needed. Does anyone know how to get the clutch apart on this engine, it is the same rcfv engine as the xl and xr. The nut that holds the clutch on is unbelievably tight.

jrandom
17th August 2008, 18:27
The CB250RS was a great bike.

The CBX250RS wasn't.

What's the difference, and in what way is the CBX250RS inferior?

Katman
17th August 2008, 18:36
What's the difference, and in what way is the CBX250RS inferior?

Very different motors.

Ixion
17th August 2008, 18:38
on further inspection there are gear teeth in the sump oil... a new gear is needed. Does anyone know how to get the clutch apart on this engine, it is the same rcfv engine as the xl and xr. The nut that holds the clutch on is unbelievably tight.

Those nuts are always uber-tight. You'lkl probably need a rattlegun

jrandom
17th August 2008, 18:38
Very different motors.

And the inferiority relates to...?

As far as I can tell from 7.3 seconds of extensive innuhneh research, the 'X' engine makes MOAR POWAH.

While it almost inevitably implies additional complexity and/or fragility, is not MOAR POWAH a good thing?

Timmay
17th August 2008, 18:42
the procedure to remove that nut appears to be

1. adjust rear brake until firmly locked
2. Apply Koken 1/2inch T bar with 1/2m extensions on each arm making a 1m T bar
3. Swear a lot as muscles are tested
4. Nut comes loose and knuckles are injured

Timmay
18th August 2008, 20:04
Lets play "Spot the problem"

xwhatsit
22nd August 2008, 19:34
And the inferiority relates to...?

As far as I can tell from 7.3 seconds of extensive innuhneh research, the 'X' engine makes MOAR POWAH.

While it almost inevitably implies additional complexity and/or fragility, is not MOAR POWAH a good thing?
(offtopic, only doing a search to topics relating to stators -- of which my `superior' CB250RS has shat)

Moar power -- but porky. More complicated. The appeal of the CB250RS is light weight, simple, cheap, bare-bones. Start adding DOHC, electric starter, heavy frame, all that carry on, and you start getting into `proper bike' territory. Which negates much of what was so appealing and unique about the CB250RS (`pushbike with a motor').

The CB250RS came out, sold thousands upon thousands. Cheap to buy, economical, fun. The CBX250RS was a classic Honda response -- `that sold well, let's make it better!' The CBX cost way more, missed the target market, and flopped.