PDA

View Full Version : Anyone closish to St Johns area?

Folcan
17th August 2008, 14:11
I need some distilled water for my battery. I was having problems yesterday and today I see that some of the cells are low on water

I am wanting to fix it before 2morrow wen I have uni, if anyone has a dehumdifier or something I could get some water from would be great

Other then that anyone have any ideas on how to get distilled water?

Squiggles
17th August 2008, 14:27
Go ta repco and buy some, or drop by and you can have some

HungusMaximist
17th August 2008, 14:35
Hey mate, I am by Orakei which is just 2 suburbs down, I got some distilled water in my garage or you can have some from my dehumid... PM me

HungusMaximist
17th August 2008, 14:37
Actually, you be suprised normal tap over works fine also, the water from the taps isn't as harsh as you think. I've used it before in my battery cells.

paulmac
17th August 2008, 14:48
tap water is fine, otherwise just put a bucket outside !!

Squiggles
17th August 2008, 14:50
Having studied electrolytic cells last year, and given the varying quality of water, deionized is best if you can get it

Folcan
17th August 2008, 15:09
id prefer not to use tap water if possible

Sorted thanks to Ewen

Real_Wolf
17th August 2008, 21:45
yeah, deionised is good, nick it from chem labs

Patar
17th August 2008, 22:56
I've got access to the enviro lab in the engineering dpt. If you get me a container I can get you some Deionised water.

Patar
17th August 2008, 22:58
tap water is fine, otherwise just put a bucket outside !!

and that doesn't distill the water, all it does (iirc) is get rid of the chlorine, making it safe for organisms like fish to inhabit.

Slyer
17th August 2008, 23:15
Distilling is just making the water pure.. so if rain is pure water I don't see why it won't be?

motorbyclist
18th August 2008, 00:55
i think patar thought paulmac meant that leaving tap water outside would work

i also remember being told something along those lines in the past when i had an aquarium

rain water picks up all kinds of shit on it's way down to the earth. the drops begin by forming around a dust particle and it all goes downhill from there. (acid rain, anyone?)

could always distill some your self... (technically distilling is the process of removing a pure substance by evaporation/condensation isn't it? purification could otherwise be achieved by adding chemicals to precipitate out all the undesired crap and/or a chemical filter)

Patar
18th August 2008, 16:17
Yep, distilled water is basically tap water that has evaporated, condensed on a clean surface and then collected.

Think of those water cycle models the teacher had back in school where hot water was placed in the sea and ice ontop of the clouds so the vapour would condense, the resulting rain is basically distilled water.

skidMark
19th August 2008, 17:13
I need some distilled water for my battery. I was having problems yesterday and today I see that some of the cells are low on water

I am wanting to fix it before 2morrow wen I have uni, if anyone has a dehumdifier or something I could get some water from would be great

Other then that anyone have any ideas on how to get distilled water?

you just buy bottled water from a dairy / supermarket...

motorbyclist
20th August 2008, 01:58
that is very rarely distilled, and usually has extra shit added in

plus bottled water is such a total ripoff....

Patar
20th August 2008, 19:17
Bottled water doesn't have any regulatory body, so in some cases tap water can actually be cleaner than bottled water. (IIRC)