PDA

View Full Version : NC30 valve tick?

mark247
24th August 2008, 10:22
Hey guys

Just recently I have noticed what sounds like a ticking noise from the front top end of my nc30's engine. It sounds a lot like the valves need shimming but the thing is it only happens once the bike is fully warmed up. I thought valve ticking was meant to be louder with a cold engine... Can anyone explain this or give me a heads up on what else it might be?

Thanks felllas

motorbyclist
25th August 2008, 03:26
couldn't hurt to spend a day to check all the clearances

sure it isn't an electrical tick from a lead shorting to the head? my one had an odd lead that had a habit of doing that

more_fasterer
27th August 2008, 14:54
Does sound like your valve(s) have too big a clearance. Had the same problem with mine when I got it, again only when hot. May have been because of the thinner oil when hot.

mark247
27th August 2008, 15:03
Does sound like your valve(s) have too big a clearance. Had the same problem with mine when I got it, again only when hot. May have been because of the thinner oil when hot.

Got valves checked, they were all fine..... CONFUSING.

motorbyclist
27th August 2008, 19:37
if it's worth anything my one had a top end noise and never gave any problems....

mark247
28th August 2008, 00:31
if it's worth anything my one had a top end noise and never gave any problems....

a tick or the usual cam gear noise?

motorbyclist
28th August 2008, 01:49
cam gear noise is a whine unless something comes loose. twas a tick/slight knock so tappets were on the list for this weekend when i also had planned to rebuild front calipers & master cylinder, swap fairings/tank, clean rear caliper & swingarm & chain & air filter.

so of course once i had bought all the brake seals some bastard stole the bike

more_fasterer
28th August 2008, 14:19
Got valves checked, they were all fine..... CONFUSING.

Do you have the measurements for them? Mine started ticking when it was still 0.01mm within spec

mark247
28th August 2008, 14:23
Do you have the measurements for them? Mine started ticking when it was still 0.01mm within spec

All of them were pretty close, one was on the limit. We have decided the ticking sound is coming from the exhaust. Possibly a slightly fucked gasket where the flanges meet. Had a few people who know there shit have a look at it and they have all come to that conclusion.

more_fasterer
28th August 2008, 15:50
That'd do it...