PDA

View Full Version : Tyre tread measuring tool

HungusMaximist
25th August 2008, 16:40
Does anybody have one that I could use to check if my front tyre is legal enough to get away with my next WOF?

ManDownUnder
25th August 2008, 16:55
anyone with vernier calipers will be able to do the job - they have a depth gauge built into them. Me for example - I have some. I'd be more worried about the subjective interpretation of the results deon by the good WOF people...

Ragingrob
25th August 2008, 16:56
I'm sure if you just cruise to cycletreads they'll measure it for ya in 2 secs. You probably could just use callipers too, Stevo's got some.

bomma
25th August 2008, 17:03
just get a stick and a marker, put stick into groove and mark with marker, measure length from end of stick to marked start of marked area....dont even have to leave the garage :niceone:

Squiggles
25th August 2008, 17:05
You get these silly but handy ones from the aa if you get a wof there, useless for testing tire pressure but they've got a tread depth thing which works well.... i've lost my ones tho :lol:

HungusMaximist
25th August 2008, 17:56
anyone with vernier calipers will be able to do the job - they have a depth gauge built into them. Me for example - I have some. I'd be more worried about the subjective interpretation of the results deon by the good WOF people...

Thanks for reminding me of using my digital vernier calipers. I do have to say though it's a bit hard measuring tread, as you've said, it's pretty subjective. I've had a read on the LTSA website and they mention

The tread depth is measured in the principal grooves that contain the tread depth indicators. However, there are tread patterns where the principal grooves cover different widths of tyre tread. This means that in order to pass WoF/CoF some tyres must have 1.5 mm tread depth across a greater tread width than other tyres. This is especially the case for tyres that have lateral grooves (those that end at the tyre edges), as shown in picture 3. Vehicle inspectors may disregard the outer end of a lateral groove where it normally tapers off over the shoulder. Note that the tread is only that part of the tyre that is in contact with the ground.

I would be guessing that they could take a few measurements and anything that falls below the 1.5 mm mark would be considered a fail?

I've had a squizz at mine and I am sort of borderline 1.6-1.7 mm at places where some places are around 1.3mm.

Just wanted to hold back for a week or 2 before I get a new front, but guess WOF is already due so might have to play it by the books and a get a new one.

Attachments are from the LTSA website.

Rockbuddy
25th August 2008, 18:04
take it for a wof, your going to anyway, they will mesure them if it fails buy new tyres if it passes dont. easy really

klyong82
25th August 2008, 23:06
I use a coin to measure my treads....but jezzzz Ewen if ya blade needs a new tyre go get a new one and stop been a bloody stingy person....

cs363
25th August 2008, 23:22
I use a coin to measure my treads....but jezzzz Ewen if ya blade needs a new tyre go get a new one and stop been a bloody stingy person....

X2 on that - it's not a cage, plus this ain't the weather for slicks!
If $$ are tight have a word to your local bike shop, chances are if you've supported them they'll give you a stretch on paying for a couple of weeks especially if you pay a little up front. Doesn't cost anything to ask. :)

motorbyclist
26th August 2008, 00:40
if you're shor on cash get some secondhand tyres

it's much cheaper than having the front slide out in wet weather, then having insurance refuse to pay out as bike wasn't warrantable

bomma
26th August 2008, 08:12
or get into your lycra and pedal your way around :niceone:

but replace bald tyres, after having had a gn pass me while i was on the 7r due to a relatively slick-like rear, i can say that ill never let twinkle pass me again!!!

Squiggles
26th August 2008, 09:45
I still have two 120/70-17's in the shed

HungusMaximist
26th August 2008, 10:08
I can get a new tyre but I just need to hold off for a while as I need the cash for something else.

Yes, it's a 120 in the front. Just wondering where the heck I can get a second hand tyre and get somebody to chuck it on....

Ragingrob
26th August 2008, 10:15
I can get a new tyre but I just need to hold off for a while as I need the cash for something else.

Yes, it's a 120 in the front. Just wondering where the heck I can get a second hand tyre and get somebody to chuck it on....

Well if it's a 120/70-17 then head over to Stephen's... Then head over to Cycletreads and Chris'll chuck it on for you I'm sure! He's working today too.

HungusMaximist
26th August 2008, 10:18
Well if it's a 120/70-17 then head over to Stephen's... Then head over to Cycletreads and Chris'll chuck it on for you I'm sure! He's working today too.

What are your tyres stephen? Reasonable tread left?

That's rather nice if Chris could do it, happy to throw him some cash for his labour.

FJRider
26th August 2008, 10:27

That has been said many times, the closer to minimum tread depth...the closer to PUNCTURE. A puncture on the front at highway speeds is NOT fun.
Prioritys ehh.

Ragingrob
26th August 2008, 10:30
Lol that's why I'm planning to head over to Chris' tomo and either chuck on one that he wants a beer for, or buy a spare set from him. Anything's better than my (very) low tread pretty much wet race slick front!

Yeh I really wanna get something put on before any riding this weekend.

2wheeljunkie
26th August 2008, 11:14
chris wont charge ya im sure bud. buy him a new gixxer and i think he'll be more than happy..:laugh:

klyong82
26th August 2008, 12:00
Man the many times I have been there to get my tyres done Chrissy has never been there...I am sure he would have done it at half the price...

motorbyclist
27th August 2008, 00:05
That has been said many times, the closer to minimum tread depth...the closer to PUNCTURE. A puncture on the front at highway speeds is NOT fun.
Prioritys ehh.

yep

had a rear "rapid puncture" that may have been avoided given another 5mm of rubber, while lanesplitting, running late, at rush hour, on the motorway, so the ute took an extra 30 minutes to reach me for all the rubber neckers

and had a front "rapid puncture" at "high speed" while going round a bend in spaghetti junction - some retarded previous owner did an illegal repair on the tyre wall. of course there was nowhere to pull over (once i had hauled it around the corner) until i reached the lights on wellesly so had to risk rim damage etc for about 1km on what had become a boat

Squiggles
28th August 2008, 21:04
What are your tyres stephen? Reasonable tread left?

That's rather nice if Chris could do it, happy to throw him some cash for his labour.

Pirelli something, and an avon something else... The pirelli (sport demon?) was donated by Ross. 1/2 worn and pretty evenly at that

AllanB
28th August 2008, 21:31
If any of the tread is down to any of the factory 'low' indicators a WOF place will fail it now-days.

Strangely enough when doing a lunchtime wander around a few bike shops there were several pre-owned ones with tyres I considered substandard.

Jantar
28th August 2008, 21:38
A front tyre is kaput a long time before it is worn down to wof standard. Replace it as soon as it shows sign of uneven wear, or as soon as the handling feels less than precise.

klyong82
29th August 2008, 11:42
A front tyre is kaput a long time before it is worn down to wof standard. Replace it as soon as it shows sign of uneven wear, or as soon as the handling feels less than precise.

Agreed, the OEM pirelli diable corsa on my bike was gone even though it still had 3mm of tread left... handling was crap and I replaced it with another....go to cycletread and talk to them they will have plenty of options for you.