PDA

View Full Version : SV 650 VS Hyasong 650

Shaun
26th August 2008, 08:17
Any one know the standard rw HP of these 2 motors?

CookMySock
26th August 2008, 08:28
Any one know the standard rw HP of these 2 motors?The hyo has been quoted as the slightly higher HP, but the dyno actually showed the opposite. There was only 2HP ish in it, so I doubt anyone could tell the difference, and to be fair, it is perfectly feasible that its a dyno or dyno operator error.

edit: http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/hyosung-gt650-vs-suzuki-sv650-14284.html

Why ? What are you thinking ?

Steve

koba
26th August 2008, 10:26

Vasaline warrior has had thier family race whore one dyno'd.
Maybe PM him and ask, or Motomart would know across a few examples of both...

mark247
26th August 2008, 10:45
Hyobung weighs 20kg more.....

Morcs
26th August 2008, 12:55
Hyobung weighs 20kg more.....

not to mention its gay.

tri boy
26th August 2008, 17:54
What are you up to?:shifty:
I'll drop you a PM.

Shaun
27th August 2008, 07:42
What are you up to?:shifty:
I'll drop you a PM.

Will let you know in a wee while Dude after having a word with RS

Shaun
27th August 2008, 07:42
The hyo has been quoted as the slightly higher HP, but the dyno actually showed the opposite. There was only 2HP ish in it, so I doubt anyone could tell the difference, and to be fair, it is perfectly feasible that its a dyno or dyno operator error.

edit: http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/hyosung-gt650-vs-suzuki-sv650-14284.html

Why ? What are you thinking ?

Steve

Cheers for that

Deano
27th August 2008, 08:43
My SV puts out 78HP at the wheel - this on Motomart's dyno. It has a Neptune can. (Also has a power commander but that didn't add any extra peak HP, only smoothed out a couple of flat spots.)

GSVR
27th August 2008, 09:03
My SV puts out 78HP at the wheel - this on Motomart's dyno. It has a Neptune can. (Also has a power commander but that didn't add any extra peak HP, only smoothed out a couple of flat spots.)

All I can say to this is Motomarts Dyno must read like Suzuki Speedos.

JHS in the UK have never seen a standard SV650 put out 69 HP at the rear wheel (Suzuki claim 69 HP)

And their race bikes with hot cams etc only get around 80.

http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/archive/03-650/dyno/index.htm

http://www.jhsracing.co.uk/archive/start.htm

imdying
27th August 2008, 09:16
JHS in the UK have never seen a standard SV650 put out 69 HP at the rear wheel (Suzuki claim 69 HP)He'll know soon enough... once they get close to 80, they start snapping the end off of crankshafts :lol:

Falicon make a replacement crank, but iirc it's over $3000, good luck with that :rofl:

(there's a neat pic of a guys workbench in the states... about 20-30 cranks missing one end) :blank:

CookMySock
27th August 2008, 10:07
once they get close to 80, they start snapping the end off of crankshaftsThat will be <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsional_vibration">torsional vibration</a>. If there are springs in the primary drive, they will be too soft or some such thing. Exceedingly unlikely that its a failure due to over-torque.

DB

imdying
27th August 2008, 10:50
That will be <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsional_vibration">torsional vibration</a>. If there are springs in the primary drive, they will be too soft or some such thing. Exceedingly unlikely that its a failure due to over-torque.Not that it matters much, the best vtwin tuners in the business can't make an SV650 crank survive for long at around 80hp, so that's the end of that then :lol:

CookMySock
27th August 2008, 11:02
Not that it matters much, the best vtwin tuners in the business can't make an SV650 crank survive for long at around 80hp, so that's the end of that then :lol:No it isn't. Torsional vibration isn't a tuning issue, its an engineering issue. Forgetting about tuning for a while, and with some analysis, the problem my be resolved and THEN the bike returned to the Tuners to proceed with it. It will be something simple, usually a modification to the torsional damper or primary drive.

Torsional vibration analysis is somewhat of a black art though. There are two approaches, 1.) put measuring equipment on everything, and 2.) Suspend your disbelief and begin working on the impossible. One of those will result in an "aha" moment.

DB

imdying
27th August 2008, 11:50
It'll never happen ;)

FROSTY
27th August 2008, 12:01
ER sorry guys. You are refering to Gen 2(injected) SV's arent ya?
My SV has been pumping out a reliable and documented 80 hp with no mechanical failures.
Jhs mostly builds motors for the british minitwins series (and for the Yanks he builds some monsters)
He builds them to be a reliable 75bhp--the hp limit for their series.

James and I discussed my engine and he told me a reliable 83-84 were available to me with some other work and a BMC filter to let her breath

imdying
27th August 2008, 12:27
Yes, the actual figure is about 85, and then cranks starting dying on a regular basis.

GSVR
27th August 2008, 14:46
ER sorry guys. You are refering to Gen 2(injected) SV's arent ya?
My SV has been pumping out a reliable and documented 80 hp with no mechanical failures.
Jhs mostly builds motors for the british minitwins series (and for the Yanks he builds some monsters)
He builds them to be a reliable 75bhp--the hp limit for their series.

James and I discussed my engine and he told me a reliable 83-84 were available to me with some other work and a BMC filter to let her breath

I think the thread was about comparing a stock Hyosung with a Stock SV.

The reason I linked to JHS was to point out to Deano that his figure didn't sound right!

FROSTY
27th August 2008, 15:03

The reason I linked to JHS was to point out to Deano that his figure didn't sound right!
yea mate--thats what I was responding to :innocent:

Boulder
27th August 2008, 15:31

Actually I think Hyos look better but I wonder if they cost less - new bikes compared? If Hyos cost less and look better then thats the way to go unless someone is bothered by others bagging them.

koba
27th August 2008, 19:23

Our mates Hyobag made 75 on the same dyno, after pipe an jetting. The pupe had a big dent in it just foward of the muffler that they didn't bother pulling out tho.

oyster
23rd September 2008, 21:16
Don't forget the biggest restriction (F3 that is), rule 4-3. In the fuel / air deparment ALL must be OEM except jets / injectors

svr
23rd September 2008, 21:39
Don't forget the biggest restriction (F3 that is), rule 4-3. In the fuel / air deparment ALL must be OEM except jets / injectors

Hopefully that rule gets kung-fued as soon as 450 triples, aprilia 550's in hand-made chassis, etc. start blowing SV's away i.e. the near future.