PDA

View Full Version : The best brand of dirt bike?

DELLORTO
27th August 2008, 20:35
whats you guys {girls} opinion on best dirt bike brand?? :yes:

i like suzuki....but have never ridden anything else {aprt from a chinese pitt bike.....:gob:]

BigAl
27th August 2008, 22:12
Depends what you want to do? Trail ride, MX, Enduro, Trials....

I'd always go 2-stroke, simpler motors, less maintenance etc...
And I've always liked Yammies after having a couple in the past but it is all about what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend, imho.:cool:

grantman
27th August 2008, 22:28
I have mainly had Honda's
9 so far (dirt and road)

1 X Kawasaki GPZ400 (only cause it was really cheap)
But I was impressed with the old GPZ

and my pocket bike
Unlike BigAl I perfer the 4 stroke engine but that's just my opinion

Found this sign on trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Honda/Other/auction-172658278.htm

Pedrostt500
27th August 2008, 22:30
stay away from the Chinese, in my view there is not alot of difference between the Jap trail bikes, they all have plusses and minuses, depends what you want realy, 2 stroke or 4 stroke, bike cheap to buy new, price of spare parts, if you are going hard core MX or enduro or just a paddock basher.
Id quiet like a new DR650, still looks like a real trail bike, seems to be a good commuter, and the bonus of an adventure ride or two, and a very reasonable new bike price.

DELLORTO
28th August 2008, 17:58
ive already got a drz125....:yes: but im thinking of getting another bike so i can take a mate...

grantman
1st September 2008, 22:23
Hi Dellorto
If you want a spare bike for a mate
I would recommend an old XR100 or XR200
Good strong bikes ...easy to ride and very reliable

For me I think the XR200 was the best learner bike of the 80's & 90's

Still a few good ones around

Have to meet you on one of the trail rides

toebug
1st September 2008, 22:40
When it comes to dirt bikes Suzuki and Kawasaki are pretty much the same, they may have seperated now but a couple of years ago they were sharing technology and the only thing that differed was the colour. They are the worst finished bikes in my opinion! Honda's are a fine product with a quality finish and some good gear on them, yamaha's are good too but they have never fixed the shit plastics and they look old, they look twice as old after you have ridden them once! Now that they have an alloy frame it is a big improvement. KTM are a very nicely finished bike with great gear on them and TM are the same with some outstanding gear.

I am a 2 stroke fan but 4 stroke is the way to go these days as you can ride them faster for longer but they are also dearer and need more maintanece which is way more expensive.

As for reliability I reckon they are all much of a muchness. What I think it comes down to is what is your favorite colour? And pick a bike that has the best parts on it.

When it comes to dirt bikes its all in the riders hands not as much about the bike. I race my 2000 CR125 in the 250 class and can pull top 3 at my local club as well as place top 3 in the vets where I am racing 450's.

DELLORTO
2nd September 2008, 16:49
I HAVE A SUZUKI!!! ITS A GREAT BIKE!! honda's are boring and slow...

motorbyclist
2nd September 2008, 19:14
honda and yamaha, not by much, but clear winners in my mind

ask in a few years and i might add suzuki and kawasaki

if you want to pay for a european bike and european parts then go ahead

as for 2 vs 4 stroke - the 2 is cheaper to rebuild but needs doing more often, the 4 stroke cost more but less often, and imho are easier to diagnose a difficult problem despite more parts due to it not relying on a fine balance/tune to even run. big decider for me? engine braking.

uksteve
2nd September 2008, 19:23
Ive had yamaha and Honda. Both very good, but i would have to say if you go four stroke go Honda, just check out the CRF reviews particularly the 450 they seem to win the bike mag shoot outs every year.

Aero165
3rd September 2008, 09:32
I've always loved Yamaha's. So far I've had 5 Yamaha's, 1 Suzuki, 1 Kawasaki, 2 Honda's and 1 KTM. I'm really impressed with the KTM :) I would own another KTM for sure. I've found their parts very well priced and easy to get a hold of

If you think Honda's are boring and slow you should take my mate Jason's CRf 450 motard for a spin. It'll power wheelie in 3rd with track gearing and wheelie in 4th with a slight bounce. It's insane!

But why isn't this in the dirt bike section?

Taz
3rd September 2008, 11:43

:tugger::tugger::tugger:......

How old are you boy???

DELLORTO
4th September 2008, 16:20
I've always loved Yamaha's. So far I've had 5 Yamaha's, 1 Suzuki, 1 Kawasaki, 2 Honda's and 1 KTM. I'm really impressed with the KTM :) I would own another KTM for sure. I've found their parts very well priced and easy to get a hold of

If you think Honda's are boring and slow you should take my mate Jason's CRf 450 motard for a spin. It'll power wheelie in 3rd with track gearing and wheelie in 4th with a slight bounce. It's insane!

But why isn't this in the dirt bike section?

im......i thought i did put it in the dirt bike section......

quallman1234
4th September 2008, 20:23

So will my kdx :sweatdrop Normal gearing tho!

cr125nz
7th September 2008, 00:35
had a kx and it was ok now have a cr and its a lot better i would go honda but its a personal thing and what type of riding you are doing but 2 stroke would be my option