PDA

View Full Version : Poked coil...

Drew
31st August 2008, 11:34
As the title suggests, I'm pretty sure my kids pit bike has a rooted coil. There's no spark even without the kill switch hooked up, so options are down to just the one thing I reckon.

Antone know where to find one?

xwhatsit
31st August 2008, 12:16
As the title suggests, I'm pretty sure my kids pit bike has a rooted coil. There's no spark even without the kill switch hooked up, so options are down to just the one thing I reckon.

Antone know where to find one?
I dunno if Antoine knows, but you might try Newmanz -- check this link http://newmanz.co.nz/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_23 $25 isn't too bad.

tri boy
31st August 2008, 13:06
Try checking the primary, and secondary resistances.
Primary winding: About 1-2ohms, give or take.
Secondary: About 5-8Kohms, give or take.
Also possible source coil fault/pulsar fault, (if so wired).
Also CDI possible. (a single spark at the start of cranking, and a single spark at the final stage of cranking, with no spark in between, is a good sign of a faulty CDI)

Drew
31st August 2008, 16:05
Try checking the primary, and secondary resistances.
Primary winding: About 1-2ohms, give or take.
Secondary: About 5-8Kohms, give or take.
Also possible source coil fault/pulsar fault, (if so wired).
Also CDI possible. (a single spark at the start of cranking, and a single spark at the final stage of cranking, with no spark in between, is a good sign of a faulty CDI)

No CDI on this bad boy mate. It's a 49cc two banger. Wanked chainsaw motor basically. Same engine as a pocket bike.

Sparky Bills
31st August 2008, 16:38
Shoulda bought a honda...:baby:

tri boy
31st August 2008, 16:55
Air gap between flywheel magnet and pickup??
I'm picking the magnet is triggering a coil mounted to the case. Can't remember a base setting, but 15thou would be close.
You could always "drop start it" like a chainsaw:devil2: