PDA

View Full Version : Used ZX6R reliability query

mowgli
2nd September 2008, 12:44
Consider a ZX6R used as a commuter twice a day, 10 minutes each way. The owner admits it's barely warm at the end of each run.

1. After a few years of doing this what sort of issues would you expect to find? I'm imagining condensation, oil contamination and a corroded exhaust. What else might I find?

2. Which of those issues would not be fixed by an engine flush, fresh oil/filter and a few long runs with repeating the flush and oil change soon after?

Now consider that the same bike was found to be overheating back in '05 with bubbles in the radiator. No surprises for guessing the workshop found a blown head gasket. Head was cleaned and gasket replaced. Since then nearly three years without trouble.

1. I know Kwaka engines are known for their reliability. Would this one be considered reliable or are there dragons lurking to rape an unsuspecting buyer's wallet?

Skunk
2nd September 2008, 13:04
The first part - depends on how often the oil changes were done.
The second part - sounds fine.

How many kms has the bike done? Which model is it?

imdying
2nd September 2008, 13:42
Lotta bikes around, don't bother with a suspect one. I commuted for years on a ZX6R whilst I did my degree... fantastic bike (1997) would defnitely have another.

mowgli
2nd September 2008, 15:24
The first part - depends on how often the oil changes were done. Every 5k apparently. The current owner comes across as genuine.

The second part - sounds fine.

How many kms has the bike done? Which model is it?
54000km. 1996 so F2 model.

Skunk
2nd September 2008, 15:45
Should be fine. I know of one that has done over 100,000kms without the engine apart, just regular servicing.

Important: Check the frame out for cracking where the two spars bend to go around the engine. Take the tank off to be sure. They either do, or do not. The split starts at the bottom and goes up the inside of the spar. Bugjuice repaired one and I think he posted pics of the split.

Found Mr Melons thread - a real bad case (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=59999)