PDA

View Full Version : FZR250 sounds like a bucket of bolts. Cam chain i think. Advice please

sexychevette
9th September 2008, 16:07
So yeh, my fzr sounds like a bucket of bolts(has done for about a year:clap:). Still runs fine, smooth power delivery etc. Not exup valve. I've pretty much decided its the cam chain + maybe noisy valves/lifters/tappets(:rolleyes: yeh im abit of a novice with this double overhead cam shit).

But yeh im 90% sure one part of the noise is that the cam chain is stretched or the tensioner is faulty. It sounds like the chain is loose.

Anybody had any experience with these engines? can i adjust the tension of the timing chain? Would you recommend just adjusting/replacing the tensioner or replacing the chain as well?

Any imput would be much appreciated. cheers

being a student i cant afford a mechanic so im keen to get as much info before i start undoing nuts and bolts:second:

edit: tis a 1990 3ln model if that makes any difference.

also would be keen on a right hand fairing or a pair of fairings if anybody has any they wana part with

chev-craig
14th September 2008, 22:18
i would replace the cam chain an adjust valves, it would just be general wear an tear